Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 07-26-2006, 12:23 PM

Mein Auto: 325i
Help!!! No dashboard lights after changing battery at Autozone

After reading all the message here I went to autozone and bought DL49. The guy installed it for me. Car starts ok. Radi is on. BUT NOTHING COMES UP ON THE DASHBOARD. No reading of speed, gas tank, mileage...nothing!!!

Brought it to the dealership, the guys said that maybe a fuse or something got blown up. Will have to do a dianosis tomorrow to find out.

Anyone has any idea what's going on? First time trying to have something done outside the dealership and now I'm afraid that I probably should have just stayed with them.
Ads by Google
Old 07-26-2006, 01:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 5.0
You should probably stick to an independent BMW mechanic or the dealer. I would stay away from Autozone, Jiffy Lube etc.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:12 PM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Fuse is the first thing I'd check. You can check it yourself, you know . Takes all of 2 minutes...
Old 07-26-2006, 04:59 PM

Mein Auto: 323ci
check the fuses

AA supercharger
PSS9's,uuc sways,front and rear stut bars
19"ace spyders,235fr,265r sp 9000
Brembo BBK front and rear
alacantra steering wheel
leatherZ gauge kit,aluminum pedals,clutch stop
www.e46psi.com
dyno 275.4 rwhp
Old 07-27-2006, 06:22 AM
BMW + twisty road = fun

Mein Auto: Car
I hope the guy at Autozone didn't do any damage, like connecting the negative first, and touching metal with the positive cable.
Installing a battery normally shouldn't blow a fuse.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:12 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Check the fuse holder found inside the glove box compaartment and check for the fuse that carries the "instrument cluster"
Old 07-27-2006, 08:24 AM

Unfortunately no fuse blown, but the instrument cluster was fried up

according to the guy from the dealship service, somehow Autozone guy shorted the cluster unit that controls the dashboard. Now it costs over $900 to replace that!!!!

Questions is how this happened? Are the fuses supposed to protect the cluster? Or the dealship is not telling the truth? When I talked to the engineers at work, none of them seemed to believe the cause. Although they think the dealship sometimes take advantage on girls I normally do have pretty good experience with the service reps.

Anyone else had any more insight? Thanks!

Last edited by pophead; 07-27-2006 at 08:31 AM.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:28 AM

But the BMW service rep. said that you should ground it first

He said actually connect the negative first? He was pretty surprised to hear to connect the positive first. But then he checked with another Rep. who said positive before negative is the normal procedure.And the engineers(they're chemical engineers though) at my work said it doesn't matter which one first.

I'm a little confused.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artslinger
I hope the guy at Autozone didn't do any damage, like connecting the negative first, and touching metal with the positive cable.
Installing a battery normally shouldn't blow a fuse.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pophead
according to the guy from the dealship service, somehow Autozone guy shorted the cluster unit that controls the dashboard. Now it costs over $900 to replace that!!!!

Questions is how this happened? Are the fuses supposed to protect the cluster? Or the dealship is not telling the truth? When I talked to the engineers at work, none of them seemed to believe the cause. Although they think the dealship sometimes take advantage on girls but I normally do have pretty good experience with the service reps.

Anyone else had any more insight? Thanks!
The fuses should protect against a current surge. I am not sure how you short out the cluster changing the battery. You may want to get a second opinion.

If some part of the electronics does need to be replaced, $900 doesn't seem unreasonable. Almost anything major on a BMW seeems to cost at least $1000.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:44 AM
BMW + twisty road = fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by pophead
He said actually connect the negative first? He was pretty surprised to hear to connect the positive first. But then he checked with another Rep. who said positive before negative is the normal procedure.And the engineers(they're chemical engineers though) at my work said it doesn't matter which one first.

I'm a little confused.
Because if you have the negative hooked up and touch some metal (ground) with the positive I think bad things could happen. If you have the positive hooked up and touch metal with the negative nothing bad would happen. Just a guess.

Last edited by Artslinger; 07-27-2006 at 08:47 AM.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:09 AM
Make Their Ass Quit!

Mein Auto: 2008 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artslinger
Because if you have the negative hooked up and touch some metal (ground) with the positive I think bad things could happen. If you have the positive hooked up and touch metal with the negative nothing bad would happen. Just a guess.
If you have the negative cable hooked up to the battery and ground the positive cable, nothing happens because nothing is connected to the positive battery terminal. There is no current flow.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:29 AM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NASA43
If you have the negative cable hooked up to the battery and ground the positive cable, nothing happens because nothing is connected to the positive battery terminal. There is no current flow.
The reason is this (from older cars):
First you attached the positive cable to the battery. As you tighten the connection, the tool you are using may contact bare metal. Since the negative terminal is not attached, nothing happens. After that is done, you attached the negative terminal. As you tighten the negative terminal, contact between the tool and chassis does not matter since the negative is attached anyways.

Now consider doing it backwards:
You attach the negative cable first, and whether you hit anything doesn't matter because a) its already attached to the chassis, and b) the postivie terminal isn't attached.
Then you go to attach the positive terminal. Your tool that is tightening the terminal makes contact with the car chassis and now you have 12V across a metal bar with the ability to push a lot of current. Boom!
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 07-27-2006, 10:30 AM
Make Their Ass Quit!

Mein Auto: 2008 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm
The reason is this (from older cars):
First you attached the positive cable to the battery. As you tighten the connection, the tool you are using may contact bare metal. Since the negative terminal is not attached, nothing happens. After that is done, you attached the negative terminal. As you tighten the negative terminal, contact between the tool and chassis does not matter since the negative is attached anyways.

Now consider doing it backwards:
You attach the negative cable first, and whether you hit anything doesn't matter because a) its already attached to the chassis, and b) the postivie terminal isn't attached.
Then you go to attach the positive terminal. Your tool that is tightening the terminal makes contact with the car chassis and now you have 12V across a metal bar with the ability to push a lot of current. Boom!
I agree that the proper way is to connect positive first. I was responding to the statement "Because if you have the negative hooked up and touch some metal (ground) with the positive I think bad things could happen." I was pointing out that nothing bad happens until something is touching both posts on the battery so that you have a current path.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:45 AM
BMW + twisty road = fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by NASA43

Right you would need to touch the metal with a wrench while tightening.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 330ci
Unhappy changed battery, Seat belt and air bag belt on

The air bag light is on and the seat belt lite after installing a new battery, 330ci, 2004
Old 07-14-2014, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pophead View Post

I'm a little confused.
You always connect the positive first. Electrons flow from negative to positive.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 97 528i
Actually the car can care less which you connect first. Smart bmw owners connect the positive first and negative last.

When removing the connections smart bmw owners remove the negative first and the positive last.

Why?

Wrenchs melt nicely when shorted messing around with the positive cable in the tight confines of a bmw's trunk. You will find a good bit of the tool kits in bmw's missing the wrench that fits the battery

Also just to lower the risk of firing off that EXPLOSIVE gas cylinder in the positive battery clamp is cool too. I can see murphy having a field day with that.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 330ci
Okay , seat belt light out
Now Airbag light on.
I changed out this battery 3 days ago. i reconnected everything very quickly. but after disconnecting, and waiting 20 minutes before reconnect the Seat belt lite went off, but the Airbag lite is on!
Old 07-15-2014, 11:02 AM
Registered Loser

Mein Auto: 330CI ZSP ZCW ZPP
Airbag lights need to be reset with an airbag reset tool.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:36 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i E46 1999
you need a good OBDII scanner to clear all codes.
Not all of them can reset air bag