Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 06-01-2015, 06:56 AM
Team Zippy

Mein Auto: 2000 328Ci
Hoarding Old Parts

I was straightening the garage yesterday and came across some parts:

MAF - Replaced when it went bad

Tail Lights - Replaced when was getting fault symbols

Fuel pump - Replaced as a preventive measure

Expansion tank - In good shape, left over from cooling system replacement

Does anyone else hold on to their old parts thinking that they will come in handy one day? I can't see ever using any of them again, but I get all twitchy if I think about throwing them out.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1967 Barracuda convert
You ought to see my pile of Mopar parts (nearly 40-year collection). It's one of the big reasons I am holding off tearing my GTS down for restoration. I'm not quite ready to get work done on it and the parts take up less space still attached to the car...
Old 06-01-2015, 07:52 AM

Mein Auto: 02 bmw 325I
Do you have any radiator hose clamp 02 bmw 325I just need one. Thanks
Old 06-01-2015, 08:44 AM
Go Hokies!

Mein Auto: 2001 325i Touring 5-speed
Funny story on the hoarding parts topic. Back in the spring I went on a cleaning binge and threw out a bunch of old parts that I figured I'd never need, and weren't worth trying to sell. Among this junk were fog light blank-off plates, which I didn't need since I had installed the fog light kit five years ago.

Well, during the annual State "safety" inspection last week, the inspector notices both fogs were out! Basically, if you have a light, it has to work. At the time I figured it was a bum relay. I thought, "Gee, they're going to fail me; it sure would have been nice to just pop in those blank-off plates I threw away until I can get around to fixing it..." Fortunately, the shop just temporarily pulled the connectors & bulbs, called it "removed" on the State form, and gave me my sticker. Didn't even hit me up for extra labor, which is why I like the place.

Turned out to be a loose jumper behind the fuse panel. I blame the bumpy-*ss roads in my wife's Pennsylvania home town, which we recently visited.

Last edited by Germane Riposte; 06-01-2015 at 08:44 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-01-2015, 11:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 330 CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer325 View Post
I was straightening the garage yesterday and came across some parts:

MAF - Replaced when it went bad

Tail Lights - Replaced when was getting fault symbols

Fuel pump - Replaced as a preventive measure

Expansion tank - In good shape, left over from cooling system replacement

Does anyone else hold on to their old parts thinking that they will come in handy one day? I can't see ever using any of them again, but I get all twitchy if I think about throwing them out.

LOL!! I've got a box (two actually) sitting in my shed of every part that has come off my car or my son's. I guess its there to remind us of all the new stuff we have put on the cars! Sure as hell not going to use any of them again. And I don't even consider myself a hoarder!
Old 06-01-2015, 11:59 AM
L4P

Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
I have two sets of headlights, 3 sets of rear tail lights, 2 sets of corner lights, 2 sets of side markers, a throttle body , MAF , fuel rail and a disa. All parts works perfectly fine. I'd sell them if I could.. but no one seems to ever need them
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Old 06-01-2015, 05:35 PM

Mein Auto: E46
I just threw away a serpentine belt off my Bronco. Sold the truck ten years ago. May be time to clean the storage shelves in the garage.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:59 PM

Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d MINI
I still have first gen Miata parts and we sold that car in 2007.
I'm sure I still have misc E30 parts / tools lurking around and I have not had one of those since 2004 or 2005. I saw the SI reset tool just a couple of weeks ago, brought back memories.

Old Yesterday, 07:51 AM
Registered Loser

Mein Auto: 330CI ZSP ZCW ZPP
I have a bunch of E46 parts here at my office. I replace stuff during my lunch & store them in a cabinet. You finally got me motivated to get rid of my center console, sun glass holder, headlight covers, cup holders, eBay Alcantara shift & parking brake boot, instrument cluster, side marker turn signals, but I am hanging on to my hood roundel. I'll never use these again and need to think about getting rid of some other parts out of the garage. I still have a set of valve cover gaskets for a Delorean that I sold almost 20 years ago. What's wrong with me?
Old Yesterday, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 968RACER View Post
What's wrong with me?
Nothing...
Old Yesterday, 09:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 330ci
All I have is my 2.93 differential and a set of used brake pads. I am feeling inadequate and behind the curve.

2004 330ci w/ sport package, 6 spd manual

Modifications: 3.46 differential, Pedalbox throttle signal amplifier, Active Autowerke performance software, Bilstein HDs
Old Yesterday, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Davis View Post
All I have is my 2.93 differential and a set of used brake pads. I am feeling inadequate and behind the curve.
Yeah, but you live where land is expensive. It's much cheaper around here (in addition to my modest little house - 1450 sq ft - I have a 14x48 covered area plus 21x7, 2-car garage, and a very large covered patio all on a 10,000+ sq ft city lot...).
Old Yesterday, 11:44 PM
Team Zippy

Mein Auto: 2000 328Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Davis View Post
That reminded me that I have a (one) set of used e-brake shoes.

Who the hell holds on to crap like that?

I still have them.....
Old Yesterday, 11:52 PM

Mein Auto: '95 540i M-Sport, 99 540i
Well, I still have e21 parts, (1978 320i), couple of motors, a few heads, bearings, cranks, a 5spd tranny out of a 1981 with correct driveshaft and short nosed 4:11 posi rear end out of a 1600. Anybody know of anyone who might want this "stuff"?