Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 06-24-2015, 10:51 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 3
Car is stalled/died at stop ligths.

Hi All

I have problem with my BMW E46 and struggle with it almost 2 weeks.

At cold start all is ok. I can drive without problems but if I stop somewhere, turn the car off for going to some shop and turn it on after some 10 minutes
the issue appears, after tat at every stop, every red light the car is die(stalled) and I have to turn it on again. It is stalling when I try to press accelerator for driving.
The tachometer is go down from 500 and car stopped. I have changed PCV Valve and several hoses but that didn't helped.

Could someone please help me to understand what is the cause as this kind of problem is dangerous for driving as you had to stuck in the middle of street.

Have anybody has such problem and how you fixed it. I wan to gather some information before taking it to mechanic.

Any help will be appreciated a lot.
Advertisement
Old 06-24-2015, 11:15 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
If the fuel pump and filter have never been changed, now would be a good time to take care of that.

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 06-27-2015, 01:33 AM

Hi

Thank you for your message.

I have took car to diagnose and they said that there is problem with camshaft sensor with code P0340.

To be honest I am doubt that car stalling can be caused of that sensor. If sensor is nor working as expected then I suppose the stalling problem should appear
always. It should be constant problem but as I told above issue appears only on hot starts.

Could you please help me to understand what can be bring to problems on hot starts. Weather in my country is very hot above 34 degree by Celsius so I suppose
that problem is because of vapors. This makes sense for me as after some time (I suppose when vapors goes down themselves) the car is working without problems.

Is there any hoses or parts that are responsible for vapors at hot weather.
http://www.streetdirectory.com/trave..._to_start.html

Could you also please advise good online shop for parts. I have found http://www.bavariandominator.co.uk but don't know are parts from that store has good quality.

Thanks you in advance
Old 06-27-2015, 09:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
most of the vendors here have good quality and great prices here in the usa.

www.furiousmethod.com

use www.realoem.com first to research part numbers
Old 06-28-2015, 01:35 AM

Mein Auto:
Most common warm start issues are cam, crank, or coolant sensors...if your throwing a code for a cam sensor I'd replace it.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:06 AM

Mein Auto: 325ci Coupe E46
Did it fix? If not. Possible timing jumped. That can cause camshaft code.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:58 AM

Hi

I didn't replaced the camshaft sensor yet. it's quite expensive part and I don't want to replace it without making sure that it is the cause of problem.
I took car to several mechanics and they said like you know we should replace it. We can't guarantee that it will fix the issue, after replacing that maybe some other problem can appear.
So I am not sure is it worse to replace camshaft sensor or not.

BTW how can I identify do my car has timing jumped problem or not ?

thanks
Old 07-02-2015, 10:21 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by yernbkg View Post

BTW how can I identify do my car has timing jumped problem or not ?

thanks
E46s have chain-driven cams....they don`t "jump timing"....

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 07-02-2015, 11:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 xDrive35d
Quote:
Hi

Thank you for your message.

I have took car to diagnose and they said that there is problem with camshaft sensor with code P0340.

To be honest I am doubt that car stalling can be caused of that sensor. If sensor is nor working as expected then I suppose the stalling problem should appear
always. It should be constant problem but as I told above issue appears only on hot starts.

Could you please help me to understand what can be bring to problems on hot starts. Weather in my country is very hot above 34 degree by Celsius so I suppose
that problem is because of vapors. This makes sense for me as after some time (I suppose when vapors goes down themselves) the car is working without problems.

Is there any hoses or parts that are responsible for vapors at hot weather.
http://www.streetdirectory.com/trave..._to_start.html

Could you also please advise good online shop for parts. I have found http://www.bavariandominator.co.uk but don't know are parts from that store has good quality.

Thanks you in advance
I had exactly the same issue of stalling. It was the cam shaft sensor and it was replaced. Car works perfectly now. I understand there are two sensors. There are lots of You Tube videos on how to fix.
Old 07-03-2015, 12:21 AM

RJ what camshaft sensor did you replace ,intake or exhausted ?
Old 07-18-2015, 08:18 AM

can the broken camshaft sensor increase fuel consumption ?
Old 07-18-2015, 10:36 AM

Mein Auto: 00 328i
Intake will cause stalling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2015, 11:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 xDrive35d
Quote:
RJ what camshaft sensor did you replace ,intake or exhausted ?
Intake.