Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 04-12-2009, 01:37 PM

Mein Auto: bmw e46 316ti se compact
E46 Rear wiper not working!

Hi

I have a bmw e46 316ti se compact (2003) and my rear window wiper does not work, but the washer does.

Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Thanks IN Advance.

Regards

M Gray
Advertisement
Old 04-13-2009, 12:55 AM
Supporter of Bimmer Lore

Mein Auto: 2006 325Ci
Check fuses? According to the diagram, it would be fuses #15 and #45.

2006 325Ci
Old 04-13-2009, 09:37 AM

thanks, I will give it a try.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:03 AM
Coconut Pete's paella!

Mein Auto: 08' 4Runner V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by burney69 View Post
Does anyone know what the problem could be?
Either the motor is burnt out or it's not getting power.

Use a multimeter to check for power at the motor.

If the motor is burnt out it will need to be replaced.

If the motor is not getting power it's either a blown fuse or a broken wire.

There you go, diagnostics fee $0

"Their" is a possessive pronoun. In a phrase like “Susan and Bill's car,” it could be used to to make a new phrase: “their car.”

”They're” is a contraction of “they are.”
“They are” should always be able to replace “they're.”

Extra credit: It's "I'm looking for an M3" not "I'm looking for a M3".
Old 04-13-2009, 11:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to Latoilette
Mein Auto: 2002 330ci silver
Mine doesn't work.. Oh wait. I don't have one.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:23 AM
Delusions of Grandeur!

Mein Auto: 08 Escape XLT
I don't know anything about these but I know about how my jeep works. Does the glass open seperatly from the hatch. If so there is usually a sensor involed that tells it that the glass is shut so that the wiper wont work if it is open. This sensor might need fixed, cleaned or replaced. Just my .02
Old 04-14-2009, 05:40 AM

Thanks guys, I have checked the fuses and they seem to be fine. I will have a go at testing the motor.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:57 AM

Hi again

Does anyone know where I will find the rear wiper motor?, I cannot seem to be able to buy a service manual for the e46 comapct.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:29 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by burney69 View Post
Hi again

Does anyone know where I will find the rear wiper motor?, I cannot seem to be able to buy a service manual for the e46 comapct.
Unfortunately since the availability of compacts over here is far and few between don't have any first hand experience with removing the interior trim to get to it. From the following looks like is a direct drive directly under the wiper mount.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...=61&fg=45&hl=1

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...98&hg=51&fg=65

Last edited by Melquin; 04-15-2009 at 09:35 AM.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:14 AM

Hi

Thanks for all of your replies.

As you may have guessed i have never really worked on the car before (before now all I have done is replace the old plastic interoir tirm to brushed aluminium one and replaced cloth front and rear seats for leather ones).

I also found the same diagram and dismantled the interior trim (fairly easy) last night and bought myself a multimeter earlier today.

Can some please confirm the following:

1. I connect the probe of the multimeter to the motor where the wire connects.
2. If there is no power to the motor, I will have to check relays and wires.
3. If there is power to the motor that means it is burn out and I need a new one.

Thanks for all your help, it is much appreciated.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:45 AM

Hi again

I have now uploaded some pictures of the motor, any advise would be appreciated, however due to the fact the the motor is rusty etc and if the connector on the right (picture 1) is meant to power the motor then it looks likely that I need a new one?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW E46 COMPACT REAR WIPER MOTOR 1.jpg
Views:	939
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	181638   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW E46 COMPACT REAR WIPER MOTOR 3.jpg
Views:	775
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	181639   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW E46 COMPACT REAR WIPER MOTOR 5.jpg
Views:	927
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	181640  
Old 07-12-2009, 04:18 AM

Mein Auto: 320td
Did you get anywhere with your troubleshooting?

I'm having the same issue.

Power is present on both leads.

on the small plug, three of the leads are ground, one is live when the ignition is on, one appears to do nothing.

On the larger plug, the outer two wires are ground, the centre appears to be a permanent live.

Can't find a switched live anywhere...

Last edited by jmattwood; 07-12-2009 at 05:09 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 03-23-2010, 11:58 AM

Mein Auto: 316ti se
hi, ive also got problems with my rear wiper but it also doesnt dispence ant water, ive checked the fuse an it seems to be good. i noticed you say youve had your seats recovered, i have 4 litres of oil soaked into my rear seats and im struggling to find a replacement, how much was the recover and how does it look?
Old 08-14-2012, 01:56 PM

Mein Auto: 318 ti
Thumbs up E46 rear wiper FIX

Had this exact same problem on my 318ti and came close to shelling out for a new motor.

Definitely worth checking these first:

1. Fuses - there are 2 associated with the rear wiper on a E46 touring. (fuse box located in the top of the glove box remember!)

2. Anything beyond this will require you removing the large, black plastic boot lining to expose the rear wiper itself. This can be done easily with a phillips head screw driver to remove the 6 or so screws, a small flat head screwdriver and long nose pliers to remove the 2 trim clips. Be careful when dropping the boot lining away from the boot as there is a small connector which will need to be disconnected which provides power to the small boot light.

Once the boot lining is removed you'll see the motor has 2 plugs going into it. The larger, 3 pin plug provides the constant power from the battery. If you have an electrical tester, test that there is power being provided by this 3 pin connector. If there is no reading then it is likely that there is a break in the wiring harness and this will need to be traced back and replaced. The smaller, 6 pin connector is the controller and tells the wiper which function to perform.

In my case there was power coming from the 3 pin connector, therefor the fault must have been with the motor.

A sign that the motor has seized is if you GENTLY (not to break the teeth inside the motors) try to move the wiper manually and it does not budge.

3. In order to remove the motor, lift the cover from the stem of the wiper blade and undo the bolt. Remove the rear wiper blade. Now return to the underside of the boot and detach the black water tube, remove the large brass bolts. Once these are removed the motor should drop straight out!

Once removed we can set about stripping down the motor. You'll need a torx screw driver to remove the screws from the motor outer casing. If it helps to gain greater access, you can de-solder the small red wire to allow the motor to be detached from the rest of the unit. Once removed you should expose a rather greasy, mucky mechanism. Get a rag and wipe away the majority of the existing grease. Try and turn the white plastic wheel with your finger, if it's stiff that's a good sign - that's your problem! With a flat head screw driver, pries the white wheel off the center spindal. Be careful not to bend it, snap it or break the plastic teeth! Once removed you can rub the spindal down with a bit of emery cloth, WD40 and generally clean up the whole thing. Lots of grease will be good, don't be shy. Just be sure not to block the black rubber pipe as water needs to flow through here once it's all back together!
Now that the white plastic wheel is back in place it should be moving a lot easier. To line up the cogs correctly, there is a plastic seam line that should point at a 12 o'clock position.
Ensure the the metal spindal that runs at right angles from the motor engages into the teeth of the white plastic wheel as this is what turns and in turn moves the wiper arm.
Put everything back together and remember don't be shy with the WD40 and grease, It'll help prevent any future corrosion. Reattach the casing and resolder the red wire if you had to unsolder it earlier.

Get the whole thing bolted back into the boot. Reconnect the water tube and 2 electrical connectors. Hopefully that'll be you all back up and running!
Old 05-09-2014, 05:37 PM

Mein Auto: E46 318ti
E46 Rear Wiper Motor

Hi

My E46 Rear Wiper Motor is not working so I dismantled it and found it full of crud and some rust. Currently cleaning it up to see if it will work. Plastic Gear wheel looks ok
Old 10-11-2014, 02:14 PM

Mein Auto: 316ti SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliGregory View Post
Had this exact same problem on my 318ti and came close to shelling out for a new motor.

Definitely worth checking these first:

1. Fuses - there are 2 associated with the rear wiper on a E46 touring. (fuse box located in the top of the glove box remember!)

2. Anything beyond this will require you removing the large, black plastic boot lining to expose the rear wiper itself. This can be done easily with a phillips head screw driver to remove the 6 or so screws, a small flat head screwdriver and long nose pliers to remove the 2 trim clips. Be careful when dropping the boot lining away from the boot as there is a small connector which will need to be disconnected which provides power to the small boot light.

Once the boot lining is removed you'll see the motor has 2 plugs going into it. The larger, 3 pin plug provides the constant power from the battery. If you have an electrical tester, test that there is power being provided by this 3 pin connector. If there is no reading then it is likely that there is a break in the wiring harness and this will need to be traced back and replaced. The smaller, 6 pin connector is the controller and tells the wiper which function to perform.

In my case there was power coming from the 3 pin connector, therefor the fault must have been with the motor.

A sign that the motor has seized is if you GENTLY (not to break the teeth inside the motors) try to move the wiper manually and it does not budge.

3. In order to remove the motor, lift the cover from the stem of the wiper blade and undo the bolt. Remove the rear wiper blade. Now return to the underside of the boot and detach the black water tube, remove the large brass bolts. Once these are removed the motor should drop straight out!

Once removed we can set about stripping down the motor. You'll need a torx screw driver to remove the screws from the motor outer casing. If it helps to gain greater access, you can de-solder the small red wire to allow the motor to be detached from the rest of the unit. Once removed you should expose a rather greasy, mucky mechanism. Get a rag and wipe away the majority of the existing grease. Try and turn the white plastic wheel with your finger, if it's stiff that's a good sign - that's your problem! With a flat head screw driver, pries the white wheel off the center spindal. Be careful not to bend it, snap it or break the plastic teeth! Once removed you can rub the spindal down with a bit of emery cloth, WD40 and generally clean up the whole thing. Lots of grease will be good, don't be shy. Just be sure not to block the black rubber pipe as water needs to flow through here once it's all back together!
Now that the white plastic wheel is back in place it should be moving a lot easier. To line up the cogs correctly, there is a plastic seam line that should point at a 12 o'clock position.
Ensure the the metal spindal that runs at right angles from the motor engages into the teeth of the white plastic wheel as this is what turns and in turn moves the wiper arm.
Put everything back together and remember don't be shy with the WD40 and grease, It'll help prevent any future corrosion. Reattach the casing and resolder the red wire if you had to unsolder it earlier.

Get the whole thing bolted back into the boot. Reconnect the water tube and 2 electrical connectors. Hopefully that'll be you all back up and running!
Thanks for this. I've recently got a 52 reg 316ti SE which the rear wiper didn't work and so took it to bits as you said and now all OK. Well, it leaks like hell if I use the washer, so I just won't use that any more It was completely seized and it took a good couple of hours of WD40 and forcing it to move before it was free!

Cheers,
Steve