Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 07-03-2016, 03:02 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 328ci
Keep or Sell? 2000 328ci problems starting

Ok... I love my car, but the mechanic bills are adding and up and safety/security is becoming a concern...

Just this year on my poor 2000 328ci, 145k miles:

1) took forever to get the Takata air bags replaced (at least free)
2) In May my fuel pump went out on the FREEWAY ($589)
3) In June my gas gauge went out, then when they tested the whole instrument cluster failed (cost TBD)
4) DSC light kept coming on, requiring new pressure sensors on both wheels ($675)
5) recurring oil leak now traced to filter gasket ($300+)

The last "big" repair was a new transmission at 75k miles, so so far the car has been holding up o.k.

But now the repairs are adding up..... what's next predicted to fail?? Is it better to sell it and run to a new "modern" car?

Thx in advance for advice from those of you out there with 16+ y.o beemers!
Advertisement
Old 07-03-2016, 03:15 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Here at the Bimmerfest E46 Forum, we are primarily a DIY community. The fact that you`ve been paying someone else to fix your car means that you have been paying two to three times the amount that most folks here pay.

The fact that you own an older, high-maintenance car means that you`re gonna get an expensive spanking a couple of times a year. For those who DIY, $1500 a year seems to be a pretty common number that gets mentioned. For those who don`t DIY, twice that amount would be a pretty ballpark figure.

So, that`s the reality you have to look forward to. Unless you have the dough-ray-me to support your BMW habit, a Civic, Camry, or something of that order might make more financial sense for you. They generally are very low-maintenance cars.

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 07-03-2016, 04:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 325Ci Conv 3peds
For me personally if I didn't do my own work I probably wouldn't have the car. To give you an idea, that oil filter gasket is about $8 worth of parts, the fuel pump about $170. So if you care to learn to work on a car (these cars really are not a big deal to work on for the most part) then I would keep it or if you have a mechanically inclined friend who works for beer. If you will be taking it to a mechanic for every repair and maintenance item then I would probably sell. Of course there is also the sentimental aspect to factor in.
Old 07-04-2016, 04:13 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '00 e46 M43, '05 e87 M47
Interesting how much people pay for their maintenance.
For 100$ i would gladly replace someone else's oil filter gasket, and could even let to borrow my own car while working on his.
After some practice many things are even damn easy to do, will take little while though.

I surely couldn't afford two BMWs, or even two cars of any brand, if couldn't do some work on my own.

Last edited by lgr122; 07-04-2016 at 04:14 AM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search