Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 05-26-2008, 05:52 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: '08 750i
Got in an accident today

other than being very shaken up, and still rather numb, my 2008 750i was hit on the side. I was in the right lane of 2 lanes making a left turn (2 turning lanes).. someone ran the red light as myself and the car to the left of me started out to make the turn after the light turned green. after only what seems like a foot or two, I saw something in my left peripheral vision coming at me, it was the car barreling into the ford pickup next to me,which in turn hit my driver side. the front of her hood was just behind the driver door. I was stunned for a moment, figured out how to get the seatbelt off, and got out. her engine was on fire so I quickly walked away. I say I figured out how to get the seatbelt off because I wasn't thinking straight. I was in a little shock I would think. fire department, cops and ems were there quickly put out her fire and at the same time, got the inside of my car drenched and as I'm told my car will have smoke damage, whatever that means. the outside didn't appear to have too too much damage, just some dents, scrapes and scratches.

I'm glad everyone is ok. My airbags did not deploy. I don't know if I should be happy or upset with that, but the driver of the runaway red light car was ticketed, and witnesses say she was doing full speed, I guess around 50-60MPH. the light they crossed is under a highway, so it was a long stretch from where he was to stop and our car, so they had to be going full speed. My car was bought new in February, but all the smoke and water damage is botherign me terribly. I am a very picky BMW driver, and an avid one at that and would hate to get the car back with mold and stuff.

any suggestions on how to get the insurance companies to total this so I can get a replacement being so new and all? it's only 4 months old, not even. everything looks straight, wheel wise, but could have been pushed sideways and had some minor frame damage, who knows until they look at it. going to try and add a pic or two, from my cell phone camera, but it was after fire was put out. pic's don't show too much. Fire department told me there will be smoke damage to entire interior as driver door was open the entire time the engine was on fire (ford). what is smoke damage anyway? is it visible? as far as the water damage, it hit the driver seat and soaked it, got he passenger pretty darn wet, the driver side of the dash and center of the dash. I have comfort seats with the electronic massage and all, I have to imagine they will replace the seats and stuff? what a mess, just thankful that I'm ok. My wife and kids were home, thank goodness!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00001.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	148173   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00002.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	148174   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00003.jpg
Views:	570
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	148175  

'10 Porsche Panamera S
'09 Maserati Quattroporte S
'08 550i Carbon Black/Natural Brown/Anthracite, Sport Pkg, Active Steering, Comfort access, Sport transmission, rear shades, NAV, Sirius, L7, Ipod/USB, PDC, Heated Front Seats.
'08 750i Sapphire Black/Natural Brown
'06 750i Sapphire Black/Natural Brown
'07 550i Sapphire Black/Black
'05 545i Silver Grey/Black
Advertisement
Old 05-26-2008, 06:07 PM
Hot for Teacher...

Mein Auto: E46, E65
Depending on the extent of the smoke damage inside the car, and more importantly WATER damage, they *may* total it. However if its something they feel can be cleaned up to sufficient standards, and there was very little damage on the outside, they will probably repair it, repaint it, clean it and give it back to you.

I would push for a replacement car, but sometimes the adjuster just has the final say.

Typical Ford crap, the cruise control deactivation switch probably got jostled and the brake fluid made contact with the electrical contact.

Last edited by Playdrive4me; 05-26-2008 at 06:14 PM.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:12 PM
Go Gators

Send a message via AIM to BmW745On19's
Mein Auto: 745i
Push for a replacement. It most likely has minor frame damage. It won't drive the same again, and it probably has frame damage too.

If it were my car, and I bought it with cash (not a lease), I would want a brand new one.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:17 PM
Hot for Teacher...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmW745On19's View Post
Push for a replacement. It most likely has minor frame damage. It won't drive the same again, and it probably has frame damage too.

If it were my car, and I bought it with cash (not a lease), I would want a brand new one.
It takes alot more than that to tweak the frame of a vehicle, which is several inches into an under the body shell of the car. Also, frame damage does not always guarantee replacement if the insurance company feels it can be repaired to factory standards, however then it will usually appear on a Carfax as having frame damage.

My concern is paintwork, and in this case it appears the car will definitely need to have some panels repainted, which never ends up the same as the factory paint.

Last edited by Playdrive4me; 05-26-2008 at 06:20 PM.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:32 PM
Go Gators

Send a message via AIM to BmW745On19's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playdrive4me View Post
It takes alot more than that to tweak the frame of a vehicle, which is several inches into an under the body shell of the car. Also, frame damage does not always guarantee replacement if the insurance company feels it can be repaired to factory standards, however then it will usually appear on a Carfax as having frame damage.

My concern is paintwork, and in this case it appears the car will definitely need to have some panels repainted, which never ends up the same as the factory paint.
Thats the thing that should be a concern, frame damage showing up on carfax. It definitely makes the car worth less when he goes to resell it.

And thats not true, a good body shop can match the paint perfectly.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:02 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

the driver side of the car, from the rear door back will need new metal at the minimum, paint etc. if you look at the pic, it does look like the truck lifted me an inch or two, but doubt there is much if any frame damage. My big concern, thinking about it, is the smoke and water. the car is only 3-4 months old, and I will do everything I can to get a new one. with all the water sprayed in there, there is bound to be a good amount of mold forming in the hot florida sun. the smoke as well. the entire inside would have to be gutted. at $3000 a seat, a new dash, new headliner, etc, that's got to be a fortune for replacement parts. all the electronics. what a shame.

i have to have the car towed from the lot it's being kept at to either the BMW collision center or a high end German auto body shop I know of. I would think the dealer would be more apt to trying to help total it, and sell me a new car, than the other body shop who will get very little if it's totaled. they'd rather fix it, if I had to guess. anyone agree or disagree?

will keep you posted. still very shooken up by the whole event, so hitting the sack guys and gals. thanks for the feedback and support.

Andy

'10 Porsche Panamera S
'08 550i Carbon Black/Natural Brown/Anthracite, Sport Pkg, Active Steering, Comfort access, Sport transmission, rear shades, NAV, Sirius, L7, Ipod/USB, PDC, Heated Front Seats.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:09 PM
bmw addiction

Mein Auto: X5d
glad to see your ok. i would try to get it totaled and get the F01

2012 X5d | White on Black | Fully Loaded | Sport Package
Black Trim Painted White

-2009 E320 Diesel | White on Black | H&R Springs | Kleemann KD-Box | 20" Monarch Hamburg Rims
Black Roof | E63 Rear Lip | Hood Emblem Delete | Foglight Chrome Trim Delete Gone

-2003 760LI Titanium Gray Metallic | Every option | H&R Springs upfront , via computer in rear
OEM Style 128 21" wheels | 40% tint | AIB Angel Eye's w/ matching foglights Gone
Old 05-26-2008, 07:11 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny_j View Post
glad to see your ok. i would try to get it totaled and get the F01

good idea. what do I do until the F1 comes out when, January?

'10 Porsche Panamera S
Old 05-26-2008, 07:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 760Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by wassy View Post
good idea. what do I do until the F1 comes out when, January?
I would think around november 08. But that damage most likely won't be enough to total the car, the rule is 70% of value or more to fix means totaled car. That looks like maybe 35K in damages, and your car value should be around 80K. You could always take a water hose to the trunk/dash and further damage the car when no one is looking (or you could accidentally spill your water bottle when getting belongings from the car)
Old 05-26-2008, 07:53 PM

Mein Auto: 745Li, X5 3.0, A6 2.7t
I doubt they will total loss that. You cant consider a little water in the interior from a fire hose as "damage" lol Just thank God you're fine and they will replace everything that needs to be.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:13 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

I'm thinking they won't total either, but my issue is more that the car is brand spankin new. if i want to trade in, it's an auto pummeling on the value regardles of when since the car has to be disclosed. from what my wife said, it wasn't a "little" water, but direct spray from the hose as it crossed her engine, and there are apparently, although I haven't seen it yet, lots of ashes in the car as well. there also has to be smoke damage, I imagine, as both PD and Fire department both said there will be alot of smoke damage to the interior and exterior.

I am thankful I'm alive, and the car is secondary, but as long as I am alive, I'm gonna do what I feel is right. at a minimum, the entire interior needs to be replaced due to the smoke and water. the driver side exterior of course needs body work and paint. I thought I got clipped in the front bumper after the driver hit the ford, but I haven't seen that either. that's what moved me a foot or two over, in the front. the whole thing was instant, tell you thruth, not really sure 100% what happened in total yet. once I see the car, will have a better idea of what transpired etc.

will keep you guys informed. I definitely feel safe in a Beemer!! been driving them for nearly 20 years straight, never an accident except for maybe a parking lot fender bender at 2 MPH, but definitely a solid feel.

'10 Porsche Panamera S
Old 05-26-2008, 08:48 PM
Hot for Teacher...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmW745On19's View Post
Thats the thing that should be a concern, frame damage showing up on carfax. It definitely makes the car worth less when he goes to resell it.

And thats not true, a good body shop can match the paint perfectly.
Never so perfectly that I can not tell, and my eyes are the only ones that matter. I am anal about paint, just downright anal. I made an exception with my current 7 because it was a terrific deal, the damage it had had was minor and it was done professionally, but its taking alot of personal restraint to live with it because *I* can still tell, even though no one else can. Kinda wondering if I shoulda bought the '04 A8 that had perfect paint

Last edited by Playdrive4me; 05-26-2008 at 09:02 PM.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:53 PM
Hot for Teacher...

Quote:
I'm thinking they won't total either, but my issue is more that the car is brand spankin new. if i want to trade in, it's an auto pummeling on the value regardles of when since the car has to be disclosed. from what my wife said, it wasn't a "little" water, but direct spray from the hose as it crossed her engine, and there are apparently, although I haven't seen it yet, lots of ashes in the car as well. there also has to be smoke damage, I imagine, as both PD and Fire department both said there will be alot of smoke damage to the interior and exterior.

I am thankful I'm alive, and the car is secondary, but as long as I am alive, I'm gonna do what I feel is right. at a minimum, the entire interior needs to be replaced due to the smoke and water. the driver side exterior of course needs body work and paint. I thought I got clipped in the front bumper after the driver hit the ford, but I haven't seen that either. that's what moved me a foot or two over, in the front. the whole thing was instant, tell you thruth, not really sure 100% what happened in total yet. once I see the car, will have a better idea of what transpired etc.

will keep you guys informed. I definitely feel safe in a Beemer!! been driving them for nearly 20 years straight, never an accident except for maybe a parking lot fender bender at 2 MPH, but definitely a solid feel.

I have no doubt that the accident itself will not be sufficient to total the car, however you are onto something with the water damage... However once again, the general rule with water damage, particularly in flooding situations is usually that if the water reaches the dashboard that's it, it's totaled. In this case, they MAY total it since (if your window or door was left open) water from the fire hoses was hitting the sensitive parts of the dash at high velocity whilst they were spraying the other vehicle.

I say you have about a 60/40 shot at getting a new car here. 60 for them, 40 for you, which is still pretty good. It all basically revolves around this water issue and *maybe the smoke*, nothing else.

Here's a tidbit to help you out by the way. I don't know where in Florida you are, but in Tampa there *ARE* lawyers if you want to go that route who specialize PARTICULARLY in diminished value cases for motor vehicles. You can take your case to one of these lawyers and they will determine if your concern about the perceived loss of value to your car is valid, then go after the insurance company to total the car. Someone at Mercedes of Tampa told me about these legal eagles and it is essentially the car version of all the Personal Injury lawyers you see on TV.

Keep us posted, I'm very curious to hear what the insurance company(s) say. Remember, it isn't just yours, it's whoever caused the accident, assuming their insurance was paid up.

Last edited by Playdrive4me; 05-26-2008 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:56 PM

Mein Auto: n/a
Ah man that hurts to hear. Glad you are ok though but like everyone else said, the insurance will likely not total it. I would take it to the BMW collision center if I were you.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:48 PM
Porsche Ex-Pat

Send a message via AIM to Call Me Daddy
Mein Auto: 2003 745i Blk/Blk Sport
At least you are OK - the rest is not worth worrying about in comparison. Looks like it could have been a LOT worse for you.

Am I crazy or am I?
Old 05-26-2008, 09:50 PM
Hot for Teacher...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call Me Daddy View Post
At least you are OK - the rest is not worth worrying about in comparison. Looks like it could have been a LOT worse for you.
Indeed... There IS that little tidbit I forgot about Glad you are ok.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:07 PM
Wilassasin

Mein Auto: 07' 750Li(sport)/C6 conv.
The only way they will total it is if it has side frame damage, because they will total it out if the integrity of the frame has been compromised by structural damage cause by significant force...However, if its just fender or door damage, etc they will repair it....also u may have a shot if u have substancial water damage caused my the water hose 2 put the fire out....Good luck!

09' 335i xdrive coupe(sold),
750 sport(sold)
, 2013' S550 4matic (AMG Sport Pack), C6 convertible...

Last edited by Wilassasin; 05-26-2008 at 10:10 PM.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:37 PM
Mech_Man

Send a message via Yahoo to EdCNC
Mein Auto: 1997 328is (RIP May08)
I can feel for you, as I just had my 328i rear-ended a few weeks ago.

A couple of suggestions:
An earlier poster mentioned using a lawyer for "diminished value cases for motor vehicles". Since you aren't at fault, you should get compensated for what you lost, as in "replacement value". So tell the other car's insurance adjuster that you want to take the car to a professional car inspector and get them to give you their opinion of the value of the car before the accident (nearly new), and after the accident, but repaired. Even if the insurance company decides to not total the car and instead have it fixed up, the actual value of the car will be diminished. That loss of value is something I know you can claim as a hard-dollar loss.

Smoke damage is from the items that burned up into smoke and drifted over and landed on and in your car, possible dissolved and absorbed into the water, then into anything in your car that can soak up smoke or smoky smelling water. Some of that burning plastic and other stuff such can be pretty nasty smelling and even corrosive. Make sure that your repairs included either cleaning the fabric and under-foam cushions, carpeting etc. until there is NO smell or damage, or stand firm to have all upholstery and carpeting replaced. (A sensitive nose will be your friend in this case).

If you let the adjuster know that you intend to require the above, it might push the cost of repairs over the "totaled" threshold.

Also, no matter how you feel. GO GET A MEDICAL CHECKUP. The other insurance will pay for it, and it covers you for any problems that might surface in the future. Don't go, and it can be taken that you admit no injury. And I've read that whiplash and other results from having your bell rung proper can take days to show up. So don't just say "I don't feel bad, so I won't go unless I start to".

Finally: remember that the insurance adjuster's job is to minimize the expense to his company, NOT to compensate you fairly. I'm like most that feel our society is too litigious, but this is a case where the leverage of a Pay Me note on letterhead is pretty much the only thing an insurance adjuster would respect.

PS: Very glad you weren't hurt. I wasn't either, even tho I was stopped at a red light and rammed from behind by a taxi going about 45, who didn't notice the light, or the 10 cars in front all stopping. Crumpled up my back end, including the gas tank. No leakage***** those German Engineers did it RIGHT!
Old 05-26-2008, 11:10 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 E39
Quote:
other than being very shaken up, and still rather numb, my 2008 750i was hit on the side. I was in the right lane of 2 lanes making a left turn (2 turning lanes).. someone ran the red light as myself and the car to the left of me started out to make the turn after the light turned green. after only what seems like a foot or two, I saw something in my left peripheral vision coming at me, it was the car barreling into the ford pickup next to me,which in turn hit my driver side. the front of her hood was just behind the driver door. I was stunned for a moment, figured out how to get the seatbelt off, and got out. her engine was on fire so I quickly walked away. I say I figured out how to get the seatbelt off because I wasn't thinking straight. I was in a little shock I would think. fire department, cops and ems were there quickly put out her fire and at the same time, got the inside of my car drenched and as I'm told my car will have smoke damage, whatever that means. the outside didn't appear to have too too much damage, just some dents, scrapes and scratches.

I'm glad everyone is ok. My airbags did not deploy. I don't know if I should be happy or upset with that, but the driver of the runaway red light car was ticketed, and witnesses say she was doing full speed, I guess around 50-60MPH. the light they crossed is under a highway, so it was a long stretch from where he was to stop and our car, so they had to be going full speed. My car was bought new in February, but all the smoke and water damage is botherign me terribly. I am a very picky BMW driver, and an avid one at that and would hate to get the car back with mold and stuff.

any suggestions on how to get the insurance companies to total this so I can get a replacement being so new and all? it's only 4 months old, not even. everything looks straight, wheel wise, but could have been pushed sideways and had some minor frame damage, who knows until they look at it. going to try and add a pic or two, from my cell phone camera, but it was after fire was put out. pic's don't show too much. Fire department told me there will be smoke damage to entire interior as driver door was open the entire time the engine was on fire (ford). what is smoke damage anyway? is it visible? as far as the water damage, it hit the driver seat and soaked it, got he passenger pretty darn wet, the driver side of the dash and center of the dash. I have comfort seats with the electronic massage and all, I have to imagine they will replace the seats and stuff? what a mess, just thankful that I'm ok. My wife and kids were home, thank goodness!
Sorry, to see you totaled your 750. Look like you were headed to south beach. I also live in florida and the people drive like **** that why I refuse to buy a motorcycle. You should be thankful. We have the worst drivers in the world.

Last edited by BimmerMan504; 05-26-2008 at 11:12 PM.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:20 PM
Hot for Teacher...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMan504 View Post
Sorry, to see you totaled your 750. Look like you were headed to south beach. I also live in florida and the people drive like **** that why I refuse to buy a motorcycle. You should be thankful. We have the worst drivers in the world.
Aint that the truth. Ive been up and down I75 about 6 times in the past month going to Miami for various things, and that place has got to be the BUTTHOLE of Florida. I hated every minute of driving down there, and when you consider Tampa is already considered one of the worst places to drive as it is, that's pretty bad.

I feel for you guys, I could never live in SoFL except for Naples.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:08 AM

Mein Auto: 08 750li Sport
Anybody else wondering why the airbags did'nt deploy?
Old 05-27-2008, 08:23 AM

Mein Auto: X5 4.4i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gellie View Post
i am
Old 05-27-2008, 08:45 AM

Another thing that may help get it totaled is if any of the water got onto any electical components in your car that may cause shortages or premature wear on connectors that can fail down the road..

i had a 350Z a while back that got caught in a flash flood and since the ecu was semi-submerged in the water and the engine was hydrolocked, they totalled the car. this was in 04 when the 350Z was still worth a little bit of money.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 745Li Titanium Gray
Good to hear you're ok. Hope everything goes your way and you get what you want from the insurance company.

2005 745Li Titanium Gray Metallic
Old 05-27-2008, 09:58 AM
Happy as a snapping clam

Mein Auto: 06 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by gellie View Post
Presumably impact was subminimum for deployment. You REALLY do not want them to deploy if they are not needed, as was the case here - no injury.