Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 ///M5
Sorry to hear about your colliison, at least you were not hurt.

My best wishes for your claims, something will work out.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:02 AM
Hot for Teacher...

Mein Auto: E46, E65
+1 on the airbags not deploying for any reason... If they truly aren't needed, they can actually cause more injury than the minor collision did.

The electronics are advanced enough to determine the strength of impact necessary for them to deploy.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:02 PM

Mein Auto: F07 550i GT
+2 on the airbags ... I would think they would have knocked you out and possibly not let you get out of the car fast enough

A blessing that you are safe and able to be here talking to us.

I think that if the water got into the idrive and dash and all those electronics there would be hell to pay and you might be able to boost that estimated value up ... also they should be looking at your value and what it takes to make you happy ... the lawyer is a good idea and could help you to get you a new car ... maybe you could even get a better deal this time around ...

Oh and BMW Center only so that they use new or OEM parts for value.

As an Engineer I have to say: When all else fails read the manual. Until then, push random buttons like there is no tomorrow!
Old 05-27-2008, 12:09 PM
Asanti AF 120

Mein Auto: 745Li 04'
--to bad this happened to you. Good to know you are ok. keep us post it.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:32 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: '08 750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gellie View Post
Anybody else wondering why the airbags did'nt deploy?
yes, me! I have more pics will upload in a moment. these were also taken with phone camera. the exterior is modestly damaged as you will see, and includes needing a new front bumpter. I got hit twice, first sideswiped by the Ford, and then the Chrysler who started this whole thing slammed and wiped the front end. not much but a new bumper cover and driver headlight assembly needed.

I am quite concerned that the airbags didn't deploy, especually when you see what a whide gerth of the side that had damage, pretty much front to back.

take a look , and let me know. You'll also see some basic interior shots that show the foam or water near the guages, etc. I know it can be fixed, that's not the issue, but I will keep you all up to date.

Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_Device Memory_home_user_pictures_IMG00012.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	148244   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00008.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	148245   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00006.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	148246   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00011.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	148247   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00010.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	148248  

Name:	IMG00005.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	148249  

'10 Porsche Panamera S
'09 Maserati Quattroporte S
'08 550i Carbon Black/Natural Brown/Anthracite, Sport Pkg, Active Steering, Comfort access, Sport transmission, rear shades, NAV, Sirius, L7, Ipod/USB, PDC, Heated Front Seats.
'08 750i Sapphire Black/Natural Brown
'06 750i Sapphire Black/Natural Brown
'07 550i Sapphire Black/Black
'05 545i Silver Grey/Black
Old 05-27-2008, 01:38 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

and a few more. as I said, I know it can all be repaired on the outside, not so bad in the scheme of things. regarding airbags, I am thankful that they didn't come out, but at the same time, and again, if you look at the sheer span of the side damage, I'm almost thinking they should have. impace may have been greatly cushioned by Ford. Otherwise it would have been a 50 MPH hit to the driver door! thats me!

no more pictures, as both our phones ran out of memory. the inside is a bit worse to the naked eye, and it stunk... water smell not present, yet, its still very wet in there.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG00028.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	148250   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00029.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	148251   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00030.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	148252   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00031.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	148253  

'10 Porsche Panamera S
'08 550i Carbon Black/Natural Brown/Anthracite, Sport Pkg, Active Steering, Comfort access, Sport transmission, rear shades, NAV, Sirius, L7, Ipod/USB, PDC, Heated Front Seats.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:47 PM
Hot for Teacher...

Yea, definitely insufficient damage for an airbag deployment. BAD damage, but no where near airbag force. You need a couple of door skins, front fender, rear quarter panel in addition to the headlamp and bumper you mentioned.

The real question will still remain how bad the water damage was. The pics as we all know don't show hidden damages.

If they go ahead with repairs, please make sure they don't repaint your hood OR your trunk if there is no damage to them. The less stuff they have to paint the better as far as the value of the car, especially since they are going to basically do the entire side of the car, they really don't need to match anything.

The more I look at it. The sheetmetal on that car held up REMARKABLY well. Even the door alignment is STILL perfect at the window sill edges. Just remarkable.

Last edited by Playdrive4me; 05-27-2008 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:53 PM
True Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 745 (Sold), M6 & Gallardo
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny_j View Post
glad to see your ok.
+1
Old 05-27-2008, 01:57 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playdrive4me View Post
If they go ahead with repairs, please make sure they don't repaint your hood OR your trunk if there is no damage to them. The less stuff they have to paint the better as far as the value of the car, especially since they are going to basically do the entire side of the car, they really don't need to match anything.
thanks.. I am about as picky as they come. Trust me on this. However, the hood has some minor scuffs in the front, the fender is bent onto of the edge near windshield.. they will have to paint it unfortunately. I don't recall seeing anything on the trunk, but the trunk was up when I got there, so really didn't look at the trunk much if at all.

I'm going to shoot for a replacement, especially with the water damage. Mold is no good for any of us, but I am especially allergic to it. the entire interior would have to be replaced, and I don't think they'll do that. the dash almost certainly should replaced with the water having shot in there. Still a bit too early to tell. I took it to Lauderdale BMW Collison center in Hollywood. I live in Weston, and would normally have used Stuttgart Int'l Auto, who does fascintating work, but I thought my best chance of a replacement is via BMW center, not 3rd party who won't make a dime if it's totaled, for insurance purposess, as I've been told.

thanks for the well wishes everyone.

'10 Porsche Panamera S
Old 05-27-2008, 02:01 PM
Hot for Teacher...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wassy View Post
thanks.. I am about as picky as they come. Trust me on this. However, the hood has some minor scuffs in the front, the fender is bent onto of the edge near windshield.. they will have to paint it unfortunately. I don't recall seeing anything on the trunk, but the trunk was up when I got there, so really didn't look at the trunk much if at all.

I'm going to shoot for a replacement, especially with the water damage. Mold is no good for any of us, but I am especially allergic to it. the entire interior would have to be replaced, and I don't think they'll do that. the dash almost certainly should replaced with the water having shot in there. Still a bit too early to tell. I took it to Lauderdale BMW Collison center in Hollywood. I live in Weston, and would normally have used Stuttgart Int'l Auto, who does fascintating work, but I thought my best chance of a replacement is via BMW center, not 3rd party who won't make a dime if it's totaled, for insurance purposess, as I've been told.

thanks for the well wishes everyone.
Let us know how it turns out. Your personal health issue with mold could very well work in your favor here... there's no way for them to get around that.

I bet you'll get a new car.

On the FLIPside of the token, SOMEONE out there is going to get one HELL of a deal on a Salvage title 750i with ZERO structural damage if they do total it. Be interesting to find out where that beauty ends up.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:10 PM
Bored

Mein Auto: BMW E93 335i Convertible
Quote:
other than being very shaken up, and still rather numb, my 2008 750i was hit on the side. I was in the right lane of 2 lanes making a left turn (2 turning lanes).. someone ran the red light as myself and the car to the left of me started out to make the turn after the light turned green. after only what seems like a foot or two, I saw something in my left peripheral vision coming at me, it was the car barreling into the ford pickup next to me,which in turn hit my driver side. the front of her hood was just behind the driver door. I was stunned for a moment, figured out how to get the seatbelt off, and got out. her engine was on fire so I quickly walked away. I say I figured out how to get the seatbelt off because I wasn't thinking straight. I was in a little shock I would think. fire department, cops and ems were there quickly put out her fire and at the same time, got the inside of my car drenched and as I'm told my car will have smoke damage, whatever that means. the outside didn't appear to have too too much damage, just some dents, scrapes and scratches.

I'm glad everyone is ok. My airbags did not deploy. I don't know if I should be happy or upset with that, but the driver of the runaway red light car was ticketed, and witnesses say she was doing full speed, I guess around 50-60MPH. the light they crossed is under a highway, so it was a long stretch from where he was to stop and our car, so they had to be going full speed. My car was bought new in February, but all the smoke and water damage is botherign me terribly. I am a very picky BMW driver, and an avid one at that and would hate to get the car back with mold and stuff.

any suggestions on how to get the insurance companies to total this so I can get a replacement being so new and all? it's only 4 months old, not even. everything looks straight, wheel wise, but could have been pushed sideways and had some minor frame damage, who knows until they look at it. going to try and add a pic or two, from my cell phone camera, but it was after fire was put out. pic's don't show too much. Fire department told me there will be smoke damage to entire interior as driver door was open the entire time the engine was on fire (ford). what is smoke damage anyway? is it visible? as far as the water damage, it hit the driver seat and soaked it, got he passenger pretty darn wet, the driver side of the dash and center of the dash. I have comfort seats with the electronic massage and all, I have to imagine they will replace the seats and stuff? what a mess, just thankful that I'm ok. My wife and kids were home, thank goodness!
WOW, that's quite a serious accident! I'm glad to hear that you're okay.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:16 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

just got off phone with body shop. damage not as bad as they thought, but did verify water on the carpet and seats and dash.. there are 2 fault lights showing. 1 is the SRS (Seatbelt restraint system), the other is an airbag light. this is troubling. since the airbags did not deploy, wondering if they should have. collision advisor said the contact may have just gotten some water damage. he said he didn't smell anything yet, nor see any specific smoke spots. I didn't expect there to be a specific spot. I have to imagine with the door wide open 2-3 foot from the fire, with the wind in the Bmw's direction, the thick black smoke would have just lingered in there. and the ashes certainly have to stink.

adjuster from State Farm will be by Thursday or Friday for visible look.

'10 Porsche Panamera S
Old 05-27-2008, 06:28 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

got my initial estimate back. they are suggesting pulling the carpet and seats out, and letting them air dry. that's all for the water damage. they don't really want to take dash apart, nor do I want them too, but I know water got in behind them. initial estimate without replacing anything inside is about $12,000. that is repairing wheels, not replacing, includes new metal doors and front fender, they will fix rear quarter panel. probably better off then welding a new one on.

I sent the insurance company a note requesting that if they decide to fix rather than replace, that I would like the entire interior replaced. I have been so selfish in identifying my own allergies to mold, that my wife reminded me that our youngest son (10), has had bad asthma most of his life and has been on meds since he is 1 or 2. He's in my car daily.

Looks like a bit of a battle ahead, we'll see.

You know what is most shocking at this point? the price for some of these parts seem awefully low for BMW OEM. for example, moldings on the exterior only $20.50, or outer grille for $24.35. the doors are about $800 a pop, the fender is $373.75. that seems quite low for BMW??? How about 2 door handles for comfort access at $622 each. that seems high.

'10 Porsche Panamera S
Old 05-27-2008, 06:45 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 E39
Man, this suck. A brand new car smashed up like this.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:20 PM
Hot for Teacher...

Quote:
got my initial estimate back. they are suggesting pulling the carpet and seats out, and letting them air dry. that's all for the water damage. they don't really want to take dash apart, nor do I want them too, but I know water got in behind them. initial estimate without replacing anything inside is about $12,000. that is repairing wheels, not replacing, includes new metal doors and front fender, they will fix rear quarter panel. probably better off then welding a new one on.

I sent the insurance company a note requesting that if they decide to fix rather than replace, that I would like the entire interior replaced. I have been so selfish in identifying my own allergies to mold, that my wife reminded me that our youngest son (10), has had bad asthma most of his life and has been on meds since he is 1 or 2. He's in my car daily.

You know what is most shocking at this point? the price for some of these parts seem awefully low for BMW OEM. for example, moldings on the exterior only $20.50, or outer grille for $24.35. the doors are about $800 a pop, the fender is $373.75. that seems quite low for BMW??? How about 2 door handles for comfort access at $622 each. that seems high.
Damn, that definitely is alot lower than I imagined, and I didn't even think it was that bad myself.

Unfortunately RealOEM.com backs up those figures, the doors are 809.10, the grille frame is 28.00 etc. I would imagine body parts are priced this way due to the insurance industry and the fact that collisions are very common, thus the most frequently replaced parts are priced in such a way as to make them reasonable for replacement, especially since they are going to be sold in volume.

I'd say work toward getting your interior FULLY correctly done at this point. Don't focus so much on the car as you and your sons health as priority 1. Your leverage on a car replacement may be in the air, but I still think you've got a serious case regarding the interior. I can't believe theyre not even going to crack the dash! Nor can I believe the DEALERSHIP doesn't want the EASY money involved at the very least in a few seat replacements! Very strange indeed.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:29 PM
Local Enthusiast

Mein Auto: E65,P71 Police Intercept.
Ew man! It may be a total loss if there is frame damage. A certified shop will determine if there is.

. 360infiniteusa Angel Eyes . H&R Springs . mObridge AUX Integration .

Last edited by Expo BMW; 05-27-2008 at 10:34 PM.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:36 PM

Mein Auto: 535, SL600
Quote:

Its the insurance company advantage with pricing. I hit a tire in the road that messed up my bumper and fog light area (and some things under the bumper). I took it to my local BMW dealer for a quote to pay for it myself. They bid out $4800.00. I then called in my insurance company (State Farm) and it was bid down to $1500.00 (1/3 of the cost). State farm has a policy that they get the best negotiated rate on parts and labor for all of the insurance companies that the shop works for. With State Farm involved the repairs will be done with low margin. Glad to hear that you are ok physically.

2007 750LI (gone but not forgotten)
Old 05-28-2008, 06:51 AM
BMW Enthusiast!

just got a revised estimate emailed to me.. current damages estimated at $19,741. this is replacing the drier seat covers. However, if water got in to the seat, I would want the cushions changes as well. Am I wrong here?

'10 Porsche Panamera S
Old 05-28-2008, 07:35 AM
Hot for Teacher...

Quote:
just got a revised estimate emailed to me.. current damages estimated at $19,741. this is replacing the drier seat covers. However, if water got in to the seat, I would want the cushions changes as well. Am I wrong here?
I would agree with you, although I guess I am a little confused... The seat COVERS ALONE raised the estimate 7000.00? That sounds like enough for two new seats to me.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:48 AM

Mein Auto: E66,E90,W211,NSX,E39,E38
Quote:

Check to see if they are giving you new, genuine BMW parts. Most Insurance policies have a clause that state that they will repair your car with "like kind and quality parts" which may include rebuilt, remanufacturered, or after-market parts. That might explain the difference in the pricing.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:02 AM
Hot for Teacher...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryho View Post
Check to see if they are giving you new, genuine BMW parts. Most Insurance policies have a clause that state that they will repair your car with "like kind and quality parts" which may include rebuilt, remanufacturered, or after-market parts. That might explain the difference in the pricing.
Those prices are accurate for BMW parts.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:04 AM
BMW Enthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playdrive4me View Post
I would agree with you, although I guess I am a little confused... The seat COVERS ALONE raised the estimate 7000.00? That sounds like enough for two new seats to me.
they also added new carpet and headliner, seat back cover, new mats. got an email that they now want to paint the trunk which apparently had scratches and marks from what I don't know. I am looking at estimate now, and they are only replacing right seat covers, not left.. whats up with that?

My gut tells me that if all that is being replaced, then how do I know that behind the dash there isn't mold or water, etc? State Farm is saying the body shop will "clean" it, but is that really going to assure me of no mold?

I had a Jeep Cherokee when they first came out (newer body style) in early 90's, had a screw missing in roof rack. kept getting wet on inside, smelling like crapola, and caused some pretty good medical issues. didn't know it until I figured out the cause, but Jeep replaced the carpet, headliner and seats 3 times.. they couldn't figure it out. then they just lemoned the car. I don't want to go through that again.

I guess the fun is just beginning.

'10 Porsche Panamera S
Old 05-28-2008, 12:10 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 5 series 08 and x3 05
Glad that u are ok but the claim would take a while and mostly all three of you would have auto insurance raise (unless you have brought forgiveness).
Old 05-28-2008, 12:47 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

State Farm had said I would not have a surcharge since someone else was charged with the accident

'10 Porsche Panamera S
Old 05-28-2008, 12:51 PM
Hot for Teacher...

Quote:
State Farm had said I would not have a surcharge since someone else was charged with the accident
Unfortunately the accidents always get "marked" regardless of whether you were at fault or not BUT, unless you're really accident prone (habit of being in the wrong place at the wrong time etc) this should not affect your rate at *all*.