Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:12 PM
Parking Spot Maven

Mein Auto: 2011 335i, 2013 M3
Glad you're okay. If you're that sensitive to mold and you're that much of a perfectionist, you might be better off just ordering a new one now. It's probably going to take them well over a month to fix it, which is about the same amount of time it takes to get a new one. So that way once your car is repaired, you can just sell it and the new one will arrive right at about the same time. You'll lose a little bit of money (although you should be reimbursed for some of the loss), but you'll probably be happier in the end.

Just a thought. Good luck!

--SONET
Old 05-28-2008, 04:07 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: '08 750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SONET View Post
Glad you're okay. If you're that sensitive to mold and you're that much of a perfectionist, you might be better off just ordering a new one now. It's probably going to take them well over a month to fix it, which is about the same amount of time it takes to get a new one. So that way once your car is repaired, you can just sell it and the new one will arrive right at about the same time. You'll lose a little bit of money (although you should be reimbursed for some of the loss), but you'll probably be happier in the end.

Just a thought. Good luck!

--SONET
thought about that, have local dealer friend letting me know valuation difference between repaired car in an accident and mine before the accident. Not too sure how much insurance this other driver had, and it's her company's responsibility for diminished value and other items. waiting to hear from them. don't want to risk ordering something and getting slammed with something I'm stuck in.

'10 Porsche Panamera S
'09 Maserati Quattroporte S
'08 550i Carbon Black/Natural Brown/Anthracite, Sport Pkg, Active Steering, Comfort access, Sport transmission, rear shades, NAV, Sirius, L7, Ipod/USB, PDC, Heated Front Seats.
'08 750i Sapphire Black/Natural Brown
'06 750i Sapphire Black/Natural Brown
'07 550i Sapphire Black/Black
'05 545i Silver Grey/Black
Old 05-28-2008, 05:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 06 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by wassy View Post
thought about that, have local dealer friend letting me know valuation difference between repaired car in an accident and mine before the accident. Not too sure how much insurance this other driver had, and it's her company's responsibility for diminished value and other items. waiting to hear from them. don't want to risk ordering something and getting slammed with something I'm stuck in.
I see alot of cars at auctions with "repair reject", meaning that when the car got fixed, the owner didn't like how it was fixed and tells them he doesn't want it and it gets totaled.

After they hosed down the interior, i wouldn't want that car. It's basicaly a flooded car.

Larry
Old 05-28-2008, 06:35 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 E39
Yeah, you might have to aution the car off.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 750Li
I think it all depends on finding the BEST body shop you can. Ask around. You'll probably notice a large number of various sources recommending the same shop. Check them out thoroughly and if you find a shop that's not good, not great, but superb then you'll probably be very happy with the results.

I had an accident last August where a driver crossed the double-yellow in a curve and swiped the entire side of my 750Li. Like you, I had no frame damage, no airbags deployed, no alignment or suspension damage. I found a superb shop not far from where I live and I'm here to tell you that I can NOT find a flaw in the repair. The repair was perfect. And they had the car in a hundred thousand pieces during the repair.

As for the smoke and water damage, all I can think to do is visit the body shop frequently during the repairs. They'll have every bit of your interior removed and sitting on racks. Take that opportunity to closely inspect the seats, carpet, floors, and especially your electronic components located all over the interior and the trunk. If you see something that looks damaged, or if you notice where water has pooled near components, or you notice stains or smells that bother you, let the shop and the adjustor and your insurer know.

Good luck and glad no one was injured. Injuries would have turned that lousy day into a nightmare.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 750Li
One more thing: My damage back when I got sideswiped looked similar to yours. Email me if you want and I'll send you photos of before, during, and after the repair. You can clearly see what a good modern body shop can do!

It looks to me like your two doors and front quarter panel were damaged. In my case, these were throwaway-and-replace parts. You won't have repaired body parts; you'll have new, BMW-made body parts straight fom the factory. As long as the paint is perfectly applied and matched, you're in business!

As for the CarFax issue, it will probably show up in a few months' time; however, there are numerous forum and blog posts floating around online about accidents that should have made it into CarFax but didn't. There's still a small possibility the info will never find its way to CarFax. It probably will, though. As others have stated, CarFax will report NO frame damage, NO airbag deployment, and NO salvage title. Your accident will look the same in the CarFax report as your typical bumper damage looks, as long as that bumper damage was part of a police report and more than a certain rough estimated repair cost. The CarFax report doesn't detail the damage specifics.

Also, my local BMW dealership car appraiser told me he considers "diminished value" to be about 50% of the repair bill. I've heard several varying methods, though. Good luck.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:23 PM

Mein Auto: Kubota on 48's
Quote:
just got a revised estimate emailed to me.. current damages estimated at $19,741.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayaltitude View Post
Also, my local BMW dealership car appraiser told me he considers "diminished value" to be about 50% of the repair bill.
hopefully they scrap the car and give you a new one. otherwise, you'll have lost 10k on the value of the car for an accident that wasn't your fault

E66 SAPPHIRE BLACK
Old 05-29-2008, 01:16 PM
Hot for Teacher...

Mein Auto: E46, E65
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayaltitude View Post
One more thing: My damage back when I got sideswiped looked similar to yours. Email me if you want and I'll send you photos of before, during, and after the repair. You can clearly see what a good modern body shop can do!

It looks to me like your two doors and front quarter panel were damaged. In my case, these were throwaway-and-replace parts. You won't have repaired body parts; you'll have new, BMW-made body parts straight fom the factory. As long as the paint is perfectly applied and matched, you're in business!

As for the CarFax issue, it will probably show up in a few months' time; however, there are numerous forum and blog posts floating around online about accidents that should have made it into CarFax but didn't. There's still a small possibility the info will never find its way to CarFax. It probably will, though. As others have stated, CarFax will report NO frame damage, NO airbag deployment, and NO salvage title. Your accident will look the same in the CarFax report as your typical bumper damage looks, as long as that bumper damage was part of a police report and more than a certain rough estimated repair cost. The CarFax report doesn't detail the damage specifics.

Also, my local BMW dealership car appraiser told me he considers "diminished value" to be about 50% of the repair bill. I've heard several varying methods, though. Good luck.
If you're involved in an accident by yourself or somehow cause damage to the car that doesn't require a police report to be filed, the odds are much higher the incident won't make it on a Carfax report. However, as soon as a police report is generated, except for a few select localities, it's just about guaranteed to show up on there.

IF you decide to trade the car in on something else, the buffer time between the accident and the record showing up on Carfax is the best time to do it. The dealership will still be able to tell the car was in an accident if they do even basic detective work when they evaluate your car BUT a car with no accident history on the carfax is still worth more to THEM than one WITH a history on it, and thus you'll get more money. By the time it shows up on there the next owner will probably have the car.

Now, as far as the repairs are concerned, another important factor is the color of the car...

BLACK is by far the BEST color to have repairs done on AS LONG AS the repairs are handled PROFESSIONALLY, because black is the simplest color to match, especially if there is no metal flecks in it. However, the only problem with black is the blocking and sanding work has to be METICULOUS or youll be able to spot waves in the paint from a mile away.

Silver (my car) is the WORST to have repainted because in MANY different kinds of light, no matter HOW good the repair, you can ALWAYS tell where a silver car has been repainted. Especially in parking lot lights at night, I don't care how good the repair is, gas powered lamps will reveal it immediately on a silver car.

On that note... I've always wondered how it would look (only for someone as anal as me mind you) if you went to a junkyard and found a car the same year as yours, from the same geographical location with the same color code and just swiped the body panels you need from it if it has the original paint. I have always suspected it would probably match almost perfectly, and at least as good as repainted panels. That is going way above and beyond insanity however, and these cars as nice as they are sure aren't collectible pieces of 70s musclecars, so it really doesn't matter in the long run.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:01 PM
Asanti AF 120

Mein Auto: 745Li 04'
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-1 View Post
I see alot of cars at auctions with "repair reject", meaning that when the car got fixed, the owner didn't like how it was fixed and tells them he doesn't want it and it gets totaled.

After they hosed down the interior, i wouldn't want that car. It's basicaly a flooded car.

Larry
"repair reject" ---great term, I would try to get away with rejecting the car after the repair is done for this one case.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:10 AM

Mein Auto: 745i
Back to the airbags that didnít deploy
A friend of mine had an accident and his airbags didnít deploy, so he sued the car company. They settled out of court ASAP and gave him a new car. I think if you donít get 100% what you what, you should try this approach. I believe that the side airbags over the doors should have worked. BMW marketing doesnít want the bad press & can easily give you a new car, considering the F01 will be out soon.

Water damage is a bitch, although it may look OK now, the mold will grow soon and you may get rust in the metal wiring connections. The car will start eating itself.

just my .02 good luck
Old 05-30-2008, 09:12 AM
Hot for Teacher...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ze_745i View Post
Back to the airbags that didn't deploy
A friend of mine had an accident and his airbags didn't deploy, so he sued the car company. They settled out of court ASAP and gave him a new car. I think if you don't get 100% what you what, you should try this approach. I believe that the side airbags over the doors should have worked. BMW marketing doesn't want the bad press & can easily give you a new car, considering the F01 will be out soon.

Water damage is a bitch, although it may look OK now, the mold will grow soon and you may get rust in the metal wiring connections. The car will start eating itself.

just my .02 good luck
This would be alot of litigation and I'm not as confident as you it would be worth his time.

BMW could just as easily prove THEIR side of the argument that an airbag deploying in an accident where there is insufficient force to cause serious injury to the passenger/driver, a prematurely deploying airbag could CAUSE injury rather than avoid it.

Airbags are considered a *SUPPLEMENTAL RESTRAINT*, this means they are intended as a method of LAST RESORT when and if the impact is so strong that the force at which the occupant would come in contact with various parts of the car negates any minor injury potential from airbag deployment.

Here in the states that would be a tough case.

Last edited by Playdrive4me; 05-30-2008 at 09:17 AM.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:31 AM

Mein Auto: 745i
Iím no expert in BMW airbags & I don't know about the US legal system, I hope that Wassy gets a good deal at the end of the day... please keep us updated buddy
Old 05-30-2008, 12:03 PM
Hot for Teacher...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ze_745i View Post
Iím no expert in BMW airbags & I don't know about the US legal system, I hope that Wassy gets a good deal at the end of the day... please keep us updated buddy
I wasn't arguing your point or anything, I'm just saying that BMW would have ALOT of ground to stand on in THIS particular instance...

HOWEVER... IF the accident had been more severe, severe enough to penetrate passenger compartment, and THEN the airbags didnt go off? There would be HELL to pay, and I wonder if that is what happened with your buddy.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:03 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

status update

adjuster looks at car late this afternoon. was told by advisor he spent no more than 10 minutes TOPS on the car. told advisor car is defnitely not totaled, instructed shop to pull bumper for further review Monday, and NOTHING to do on interior but detail and spray air freshener.

I freaked, called State Farm on conference with Advisor. claim rep is nice, but respectfully disagreeing with me. she says there is no evidence of water or smoke damage. I told her I can't prove the smoke damage except for the fire lieutenant's offer to assist should the need arise. (he advised my wife and I that car had smoke and water damage from adjacent car).. but certainly have shown her pics of my door open with water all over place. I asked her to look at photo # xxx which I emailed to State Farm on Tuesday morning from the tow yard. she told me there is only 1 photo on file. after telling her that I know they are all on file, she found them and sees the picture with the water and chemical stains from fire hose. also sees residual ashes on carpet, etc. adjuster said he didn't smell any odor. LOL. advisor told STate farm that he cleaned car to uncover hidden damage, so much of what was in pictures was already gone. that's the purpose of the pictures! now have to wait until monday for him to return. I was told by body shop that this particular adjuster is difficult to work with.

At this point, I can clearly see this is going to be a very difficult situation. This guys wasn't even willing to have carpet pulled to inspect. was told by advisor that car was sitting in 90-100 degree sun for 4 1/2 days straight, it's gonna dry out. when I first sat in car at tow yard to drive it to body shop, the water came seeping up through the ventilation holes in the seat bottom. uhm, that's not a little bit of water, that's alot. that's mostly gone, a little damp I'm told by the shop, but to do nothing in the interior. This is really aggrevating me on top of the fact that a week will have gone by of complete downtime, repair or total.

thanks for everyone's well wishes and direction. My goal at this point is to try and have the car replaced. Not via BMW, but by my insurance.the exterior is one thing, but there is just too many pieces of leather, fabric, and who knows what other parts and I know that the car will squeek, rattle, ping pop and poop when they are done. It will be a service nightmare, more than Bimmers already are. I unfortunately put down some cap reduction on this lease, which is not covered by GAP Insurance, only by the person at fault's insurance. Same with reimbursement of my deductibles, etc. I called her company today to find out she has "FULL COVERAGE".. great. "Mr. Agent, can you tell me what the amounts of her Full Coverage are"... he says sure.. tells me she has the required $10,000 in PIP, personal Injury Protection, and stops. I said "What about property damage", he says "no bodily injury coverage".. I said "that's ok, I have none, but what is her property coverage?".. he said....are you ready..."$10,000" I asked him if he was kidding. he said no. I said there is 1 definitely totaled car, the Ford, my car with $20-30k in damage or more, and the insured own car. All for $10,000.. I'm in Deep Cocka here guys and gals! totaling this car is going to cost me alot of money, and without that cap cost redux again, or more with lower residuals, I will not get the payment on an $87,000 750i I had for a 24 month lease. $750 tax included. wife says I should just have it fixed.

'10 Porsche Panamera S
'08 550i Carbon Black/Natural Brown/Anthracite, Sport Pkg, Active Steering, Comfort access, Sport transmission, rear shades, NAV, Sirius, L7, Ipod/USB, PDC, Heated Front Seats.

Last edited by wassy; 05-30-2008 at 08:07 PM.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 750 Li
Sorry to hear about all your drama!

#1, I'm glad that you're ok.
#2 Get an attorney ASAP!!
#3 Do your research & find the best collision shop in your area! In ATL, no one who values their investment brings their car to the dealership, they bring it to Magnum Collision. Most of the high end dealerships(Porsche,Ferrari, Lamb...) send cars there as well, because they are the best. You're concerned about squeeks. pings & pops-send your car to the best in the area & let your lawyer get you your money. Don't waste your breathe w/ the adjuster or claims rep! They don't give a damn about you!

2013 750 Li Alpine White/Black|M-Sport Pkg|LED Lighting Pkg|Exec Pkg|Drivers Assist Pkg

2008 Toyota Sequoia Platinum--Arctic Frost Pearl/Red Rock

2006 750 Li-Retired
2006 330i-Retired
2002 M3-Retired
2000 323Ci-Retired
1991 M3-Retired
Old 05-30-2008, 11:35 PM
Hot for Teacher...

Damn Wassy, you must have put some SERIOUS CAP reduction on that car because your lease payment on that thing is only a little higher than what my LOAN payment is on mine. That will indeed, be tough to match again!

Here in Tampa the collision shop everyone uses is Gene Perez, they do some amazing work.

Weigh your options *very* carefully here, or regardless of your BEST intentions, money is going to begin to flow out like water before any solution is even found. While getting a lawyer sounds like a good idea, you have to be prepared to throw 1/3 of anything you hope to gain straight at that horse's mouth. And they will just keep eating as long as they can... Not saying not go that route, but just be prepared for the high cost and little net benefit.

I wish you the best with this situation either way, a guy on the Crossfire forum had a car worth FAR LESS than yours and with MORE severe damage to HIS left side, and after a long and drawn out battle to have HIS totalled, or at least be reimbursed for diminished value, I have not seen any more posts about the incident since March, and it appears he finally relented and just allowed the car to be fixed. It's a tough situation no doubt, perhaps you will fare much better.

Last edited by Playdrive4me; 05-30-2008 at 11:42 PM.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:27 AM
BMW Enthusiast!

thanks all for your reply's. keeps me on the straight and narrow. I'll wait until Monday afternoon/Tuesday see what they want to do. I already figured they will fix it, but they are going to at least have to replace much of the interior. If not, then I will really start the pressure.

the cap redux I put down was about $3741. I generally wouldn't have done it, but took my payment to something somewhat manageable.. plus got a sick deal for five hundred over, as well. I have owned about 15 bimmers now, locally, so they take pretty good care of me, also refer about 10 cars a year.. two 2 different dealerships. this keeps my options open, and keeps my contacts always knowing there's someone else who can take the biz. I rotate, they are all well taken care of. Unfortunately, this isn't something they can work magic on for me. in fact, they even told me to have the car repaired and not totaled, because I ain't gonna get close to that payment again, with or without the cap redux. maybe in the mid-high 8's at best, with redux..

Got some tough decisions to make, but sit tight, will keep you guys in the know.

'10 Porsche Panamera S
Old 05-31-2008, 12:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 745Li
OT, but wassy, are u a proctologist?
2007 Infiniti FX35
1999 BMW 323i Convertible
1966 Ford Mustang Convertible
1974 Jensen Interceptor
2000 Mercedes E320 (R.I.P.)

Sittin on stock 19s now.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:26 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erunithug View Post
OT, but wassy, are u a proctologist?
no. the pic is sarcastic...

'10 Porsche Panamera S
Old 05-31-2008, 03:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 745Li
haha... i just figured ur a proctologist and found that pic amusing. anyways, good look with the car. i had 2000 E320 that leaked through the sunroof. it started to smell like mold and kept getting worse. the headliner was pulled and there was mold behind it. the car was still under warranty but i went through my insurance. they said they would pay to have it fixed, but i pushed them to total the car. i told them there is no way i will risk my health. it took a little battle back and forth, but they totaled it.
2007 Infiniti FX35
1999 BMW 323i Convertible
1966 Ford Mustang Convertible
1974 Jensen Interceptor
2000 Mercedes E320 (R.I.P.)

Sittin on stock 19s now.
Old 05-31-2008, 04:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 Convertible
Quote:
I called her company today to find out she has "FULL COVERAGE".. great. "Mr. Agent, can you tell me what the amounts of her Full Coverage are"... he says sure.. tells me she has the required $10,000 in PIP, personal Injury Protection, and stops. I said "What about property damage", he says "no bodily injury coverage".. I said "that's ok, I have none, but what is her property coverage?".. he said....are you ready..."$10,000" I asked him if he was kidding. he said no. I said there is 1 definitely totaled car, the Ford, my car with $20-30k in damage or more, and the insured own car. All for $10,000.. I'm in Deep Cocka here guys and gals!
This is exactly what's happening right now with my insurance claim. The driver at fault (3 car accident) has only $10,000 in property damage coverage, and the 2nd car has $8,000+ in damage, plus their rental costs, my $2,500 in damage, and my rental costs.

My collision coverage took care of my repairs, less my $1,000 deductible, which my insurer says I'll get back if they recover money from the other party's insurance company. I have State Farm, the at-fault guy has AIG.

Good luck. Your collision coverage will pay for your repairs or totaling the car, so don't worry about it that much. Now at least you can deal with your own insurance company to get either diminished value or get the car totaled from the outset.

M3 Convertible Jet Black/Bamboo Beige/DCT/ZPP2/ZCV/Enhanced Premium Sound: ED 7/8/11

Next (probably):
M235i Estoril Blue/Terra

Past:
2006 VW GLI Pkg. 2 DSG
335i Coupe Jet Black/Jade Gray/ZPP/ZSP/iDrive/iPod: ED 7/23/08

ED Trip Blog: http://www.lottohedgefund.com
Old 06-01-2008, 04:51 AM
BMW Enthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcain View Post
Now at least you can deal with your own insurance company to get either diminished value or get the car totaled from the outset.
actually, State Farm, my insurer, said diminished value is solely the responsibility of the counterparty. even the cap cost redux would be the responsibility of the counterparty's insurer. either way, looks like I'm out some dough. quite a bit.

'10 Porsche Panamera S
Old 06-01-2008, 07:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5M, 13 x6 5.0 soon
Sorry to hear about the accident glad you are okay most important thing.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:21 AM

Mein Auto: 750i
Quote:
actually, State Farm, my insurer, said diminished value is solely the responsibility of the counterparty. even the cap cost redux would be the responsibility of the counterparty's insurer. either way, looks like I'm out some dough. quite a bit.

Dont forget the driver at fault is still responsible for all damage claims, if his insurance is inadequate, then he/she can be sued to cover the difference. That is the reason to have adequite coverages, so you don't get sued when at fault.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:16 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioch View Post
Dont forget the driver at fault is still responsible for all damage claims, if his insurance is inadequate, then he/she can be sued to cover the difference. That is the reason to have adequite coverages, so you don't get sued when at fault.
I'm aware of this, however, and this is only my opinion but I'm guessing with pretty good supporting info that there isn't much to get on a personal level. Although she's at fault, it's still an "accident", especially since she had 2 kids, her dog, and 2 other adults in the car, sure she didn't intend for this to happen. I'd hate to sue, win, and cause detrement for a few thousand.

I'm guessing the diminished value is about $10-$15,000 in real dollars. if they garnish wages, I'll have 5 cars or more before that's paid. Here are my real down to earth options, I believe :

1. State Farm totals, I lose the cap cost redux and some fees, and start over, perhaps with a 535i loaded or something completely different (did I say that?). This would also help lower my payment since I just added the 2008 X5 4.8i and a hefty payment, something I didn't have before since I owned the '04 4.4i outright.

2. with about 20 months left on lease, have them fix car, drive to end of term, and walk away. Most of my friends and family are pushing me this route, but I also know that the next 20 months will be full of return visits to body shop, service and trying to figure out where all the noises and problems are coming from. This option, of course, is only available if State Farm comes through and will replace the interior that was water logged. otherwise, all bets are off on this option.

Hope to have a more concrete answer by end of day tomorrow.

'10 Porsche Panamera S