Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department

The Detail Department
Detailing tips, tricks to keep your bimmer in showroom condition.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 335i convertible
Question How do I remove suntan lotion from leather?

Someone (who will never be allowed in my car again) got suntan lotion on the black leather of the center console and the seat. I assume it rubbed off from their arms and legs. This happened a few weeks ago and both areas are about one inch by one-half inch.

Initially, I tried to rub it off with a damp microfiber cloth, but it did not come off. Today, while washing my car, I tried to rub it off with a damp microfiber cloth with speck of Dawn to get some sudsing action, but that did not work either.

I used some pressure, but I didn't want to use too much for fear it would damage either the sun-reflective part of the leather or the leather itself.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to remove these stains -- or, will those areas now be protected with 50 SPF forever?

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

ED Pickup Date: 11/2/07
Departed Bremerhaven: 11/13/07 on the Hojin
Arrived at Port Hueneme: 12/6/07
Cleared customs: 12/14/07
Redelivery: 12/17/07

Ads by Google
Old 05-26-2008, 07:13 PM
Go Gators

Send a message via AIM to BmW745On19's
Mein Auto: 745i
try rubbing alcohol.

The Only 745i to Consider
Old 05-28-2008, 04:09 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Jaguar XKE
To clean leather that has oil / grease stains, there are a couple of different things to try. Use the Leather Care Cleaner as a spot Cleaner which will break down the oils and remove the stain. If the stain is greasy, put cornstarch over the spot and allow it to absorb the stain Grease - put cornstarch over the spot and allow it to absorb the stain. Or try rubbing the stain with a cotton swab and rubbing alcohol, use lemon juice and cream of tarter in equal parts to rub into the stain. Allow the paste to remain for an hour before wiping it away.

Or try Leather Degreaser:
An aerosol product for cleaning oily stains; it dissolves and removes oil and grease from leather surface. This cleaner can be applied for cleaning all types of leather.

Products are Leather Masters
Old 05-29-2008, 03:49 PM
Go Phillies!

Mein Auto: 2014 X6 35i
This happened to me...with Zinc Oxide...which is the hardest to get out.

The S/A at my BMW dealership gave me a can of Vinyl/Leather cleaner with a "touch of mink oil" to take home. It's what they use on all dealership cars and it works great. Before I left, he applied it to my seats and it buffed right out w/zero elbow grease.

Good Luck

Many Thanks:
X6 2011
335cxi M pkg 2008; 2009
335xi 2010
328xi 2007; 2004
X3 M pkg 2007; 2004