Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 05-30-2008, 12:03 AM

Mein Auto: '86 535i
New Car

So I recently purchased an 86 535i and I've got a couple of questions:

Firstly, What are some simple modifications I can do to it to get that extra kick out of the car. I'm looking for a chip for the ECU, a cat-back exhaust and of course I'm replacing all that I can under the hood (it's been well taken care, but I don't know when things were changed last) like the hoses, plugs, plug wires.

Secondly, Where is the ECU located?

Thirdly, There is a flutter/ticking underneath the hood. I'm thinking it might be either a valve not working right but I'm hoping it's a normal sound from the injectors. Anyone noticed a similar sound?

Thanks!!
Ads by Google
Old 05-30-2008, 07:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
Congratulations on your acquisition! I have the same model and year in Artic Blue. I just gave some recommendations regarding the chip and exhaust to other member yesterday so just read here. Include the ignition cap and rotor in your changes since they should be replaced every 50 to 60 thosuand miles. The ECU is inside the glovebox under a flexible plastic cover ans is held in place with four 10-mm screws. As for the 'ticking' noise, you should perform a valve adjustment and anything left after that is the normal injector noise.

Good Luck!
Old 05-30-2008, 03:15 PM

Mein Auto: '86 535i
Thanks a lot!!
Old 06-13-2008, 12:15 PM
Long LIVE ZFHP22!

Mein Auto: 2006 330i 6MT Sport
jimoreno gives good advice. M30's like to tick... excessive ticking is remedied by a valve adjustment.

Cursed plastic impailor waterpumps, plastic bleeder screws, m20 timing belts, anti rattle clips, window regulators, CDV valves, digital odometer displays, evaporative emissions circuit, aux cooling fan, sunroof drains, heator cores, door seals, control modules, M62 cam covers and of course GM autos.... (more to come)