Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 05-12-2003, 04:27 PM
Nick Burns, the Comp Guy

Mein Auto: 2003 Audi A4 3.0
A tip to get Planetside running as smooth as possible!

This tip can (and should!) be used to make your overall computer performance increase too!

First, change your virtual memory settings. Granted if you have the 1.3 Gigs of hard drive space for the game, then you have enough to increase your swap file signifigantly.

For Windows XP, right click on My Computer, go to Properties.

Then go to the Advanced Tab. Click on the 'Settings' button under Performance.

Again go to advanced when the window opens. Click on the button on the bottom that says "Change".

Now look at the "Recommended" page file setting. Make a custom size file with the MINIMUM being TWICE the "recommended" amount. Make the MAXIMUM the SAME NUMBER.

There are reasons for doing this, but I'll explain as best I can....

First, Windows generally manages your swap file size on the fly. This is *BAD*. If you're playing a game, say Planetside , and the game requires more virtual memory, Windows will use your CPU to create more. If you have a huge swap file, you'll never have a program that is straining for some resources, nor will Windows have to use your CPU to change the size. This leaves your game with plenty of resources AND CPU power to play.

In Windows 2000 and others, there is a similar way to get to the Virtual Memory settings but I don't know how :P If anybody has those instructions please post them up!
Old 05-12-2003, 06:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: fu
Ok, I just set it. I will let ya know after I play again.

Old 05-12-2003, 06:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Car
XP & 2000

2000:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...c_evl_thgh.asp

More on the XP side:

To change the size of the virtual memory paging file
You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.

Open System in Control Panel.
On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings.
On the Advanced tab, under Virtual memory, click Change.
Under Drive [Volume Label], click the drive that contains the paging file you want to change.
Under Paging file size for selected drive, click Custom size, and type a new paging file size in megabytes in the Initial size (MB) or Maximum size (MB) box, and then click Set.
If you decrease the size of either the initial or maximum page file settings, you must restart your computer to see the effects of those changes. Increases typically do not require a restart.

Note

To open System, click Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.
To have Windows choose the best paging file size, click System managed size.
For best performance, do not set the initial size to less than the minimum recommended size under Total paging file size for all drives. The recommended size is equivalent to 1.5 times the amount of RAM on your system. Usually, you should leave the paging file at its recommended size, although you might increase its size if you routinely use programs that require a lot of memory.
To delete a paging file, set both initial size and maximum size to zero, or click No paging file. Microsoft strongly recommends that you do not disable or delete the paging file.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/h...vmpagefile.asp

Last edited by TimmyTimmy; 05-12-2003 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-13-2003, 12:17 PM
erstwhile subcentral

Send a message via AIM to variable42
Mein Auto: 2007 335i Coupe
Another thing to note is that if you've got hardware anti-aliasing enabled in your video card's driver settings (which isn't normally the default, AFAIK), you'll experience mouse lag in the game. Don't worry about if you have it or not -- if you do, you'll know it immediately. It's like playing the game while drunk.
Old 05-13-2003, 12:52 PM
Grumpy and Cynical

Send a message via MSN to ed325i Send a message via Yahoo to ed325i
Mein Auto: 328Xi
What if you have lots of RAM? I have 1 GB of RAM. Would 762MB of swap space be sufficient?

Ed
Old 05-13-2003, 01:57 PM
O.G.

Mein Auto: 2011 MDX, 2001 330xi
Quote:
Originally posted by dredmo
Ok, I just set it. I will let ya know after I play again.
i just changed it too... not sure I'll see a difference, but what the hell.
Old 05-13-2003, 04:09 PM
Nick Burns, the Comp Guy

Mein Auto: 2003 Audi A4 3.0
Quote:
Originally posted by Ed328Ci
What if you have lots of RAM? I have 1 GB of RAM. Would 762MB of swap space be sufficient?

Ed
No, I have a gig of ram and my swap file size is 3 gigs.

Windows inherently has a problem with memory usage, and this is truly one of the only ways to solve it. I hear though, that with the next iteration of an all-new Windows, that we'll see signifigant progress made on this, including a new file system!

But until then... change that swap file
Old 05-14-2003, 11:57 AM
Marsfire Crusher

Mein Auto: 2003 330Ci
Quote:
Originally posted by Hercules
No, I have a gig of ram and my swap file size is 3 gigs.

Windows inherently has a problem with memory usage, and this is truly one of the only ways to solve it. I hear though, that with the next iteration of an all-new Windows, that we'll see signifigant progress made on this, including a new file system!

But until then... change that swap file
3 gigs? you've gotta be kidding me. what type of stuff are you running that requires 4 gigs total? i have a gig of ram and i just have my swapfile set to a fixed 20 megs. I'd disable it completely, but i use photoshop extensively and it gives you error messages unless there's a minimum 20 meg swapfile established.

There's a way you can get the perf counters to write to a log file the amount of memory required by each program and the total commit charge required at one time. I don't remember how, but I did this once and ran every single game and benchmark that I had loaded on my computer at that time and at no time did i ever come close to maxing out my 1 gig of memory. Setting your swapfile to 3 gigs is effectively wasting 3 gigs of hard drive space. Although disk space is cheap nowadays, I still see no reason to waste 3 gigs. Look up how windows even goes about determining the recommended swapfile size amount and you'll see that it's a complete joke. Basically, it takes the amount of memory that you have installed, doubles it and adds a fixed amount to it, or something similar to that. So the more memory you have, the larger the recommended swapfile size. That's completely logical isn't it? I have 1024 megs of ram so of course my swapfile needs to be larger than if I had 512 megs.