Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 05-12-2003, 10:37 PM
Navy Vet. and ///M fan

Mein Auto: 03 jet blk SMG ///M3
Projectors & HIDs in Z3/M headlights...its in the works!

Matt from Umnitza is working on getting us a kit together to modify our existing headlights to accommodate projectors + HID! What do you guys think? thumbup:
Click on the link below for details!:

Over to Bimmerforums we go!

~Bryon
Advertisement
Old 05-14-2003, 10:44 AM
Navy Vet. and ///M fan

Post away with your interest!
Old 05-15-2003, 09:00 AM
M coupe

Mein Auto: 2001 M Coupe
Might be a tough sale unless you can make them look factory IMO. The ones HIDs4more (at least the ones posted on the net) were not my cup of tea in the looks dept.

Oh, and please dont put angel eyes around them!
Old 05-15-2003, 09:02 AM

Mein Auto: 01 Mc, 08 M3, Motorrad x2
Quote:
Originally posted by gbrown
Might be a tough sale unless you can make them look factory IMO. The ones HIDs4more (at least the ones posted on the net) were not my cup of tea in the looks dept.

Oh, and please dont put angel eyes around them!
Yeah, everything Gary said.
Old 05-15-2003, 09:43 AM
M coupe

Mein Auto: 2001 M Coupe
Next time your around a 740 check out their HID setup. Its a small projector housed in what looks like a halogen reflector w/ a cut out in the lower center of the light. Personally I think this would look good if duplicated on the Z3.

This would not take away the looks of the typical BMW dual round setup which I love all while providing, we hope, much improved lighting. I think a monster projector would take away from the looks.
Old 05-15-2003, 11:22 AM
Navy Vet. and ///M fan

The 740 utilizes a 90mm projector, right?

I have noticed that there are a few people coming out and saying that if it doesn't look OEM, then they won't be interested. Well, its not going to look OEM because it will contain an aftermarket projector lens! The quality of the kit however will most certainly be high. Check out www.umnitza.com and see the many quality products Umnitza has developed, or is currently a distributor thereof. Like many of us, I am used to seeing the Z3 headlight appear a certain way, and definitely do not want a product that will appear ricey or out of place.

As far at the angel eyes/DDE are concerned, I think that once the kit is developed, there will be an option for DDE (daylight demon eyes (like angel eyes)), HID upgrade, or just plain projector lens retrofit kit. I will email Matt to verify this today.

I have also talked to people that already have a 9006 low beam HID conversion, but would like the projector lenses. I am not sure about the particulars, but maybe the 9006 bulbs could be modified to accommodate the new setup? This is another topic I will be looking in to.

-bryon
Old 05-15-2003, 03:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 98 M3/4
Can they also retrofit the auto-levelling system in there?

Whatever they do please make a sharp cutoff
Old 05-15-2003, 04:13 PM
Navy Vet. and ///M fan

I don't think the auto-leveling system would be possible, but I can always ask

The sharp cutoff is one of the important benefits to projectors.
Old 05-16-2003, 08:36 PM
Navy Vet. and ///M fan

I just got an email from Matt, and he said that the options for the retrofit will be modular; you can choose to have the unit come with or without DDE.
-bryon
Old 05-16-2003, 08:39 PM
Im here

Send a message via AIM to 01silber
Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 3.0i
there was alot of intrest in this when hids4less said they were doing it but the prototype was well it was way off base, i hope umnitza does a oem look
Old 05-17-2003, 08:25 AM

Mein Auto: Le Car
Why didn't you all just get your cars with HIDs in the first place. Don't mean that to sound like a recrimination. I am really curious to know the various reasons why people don't get them when they buy their cars. Especially in this segment.

Were they not offered at the time? Did you feel it was unnecessary or the price wasn't justified? Did you want them but just went for a car in dealer stock without them instead of ordering? Some other reason?

Thanks for the replies.

Last edited by Schlossen; 05-17-2003 at 08:28 AM.
Old 05-17-2003, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Schlossen
Why didn't you all just get your cars with HIDs in the first place. Don't mean that to sound like a recrimination. I am really curious to know the various reasons why people don't get them when they buy their cars. Especially in this segment.

Were they not offered at the time? Did you feel it was unnecessary or the price wasn't justified? Did you want them but just went for a car in dealer stock without them instead of ordering? Some other reason?

Thanks for the replies.
Not offered on Z3 cars. Ever.
Old 05-17-2003, 10:19 AM

Mein Auto: Le Car
That's interesting. I didn't know that. A friend of mine got an '02 Z3 and he said that he didn't get Xenons with it and I just assumed that he had a choice.

I was wondering for a long time if it was worth it to get them in my Z4 and ended up getting them so I wouldn't regret it later.
Old 05-17-2003, 11:51 AM

Mein Auto: 98 M3/4
Z4's projectors seem to have a very sharp cutoff. It'd be very interesting if someone could mod those into Z3's headlights.

Just to provide some information: I've visited this company's site, they use OEM projectors from BMW, Audi and others, basically you name it they find for you and mod into your light assemblies. If memory serves the website is www.illusion-lighting.com

What projectors is Umnitza using?
Old 05-17-2003, 02:12 PM
Navy Vet. and ///M fan

Well, it doesn't look like that company has ever done anything for a BMW. This is not rocket science, but it appears to be a very involved process, and since the birth of the Z3, no aftermarket company has offered a retrofit kit to the community that includes projector lenses.

Umnitza will be using Hella projectors. I am not sure who makes the OEM lenses.

The Z4 projector lights are great. They are however a completely different shape compared to the Z3 headlights. I am sure you could figure out a way to make them work on a Z3, but you would probably have to spend some time in a body shop, and they would not look like a factory option, or fool anyone. IMO that is...

It will look good. I have all faith that this will work out great!
Old 05-17-2003, 02:37 PM
Automotive Hypochondriac

Mein Auto: 2001 LSB M Coupe
So what is the story with trying to make them look like the projectors on the 7-series or X5, with the plastic piece around the projector to blend in with the high beam and retain the stock look? Are Matt, Jim, and you considering that? Thanks,

Pani
Old 05-17-2003, 03:36 PM
Navy Vet. and ///M fan

To be quite honest, I am not sure if they are going that route or not. I will send matt another email today...
Old 05-22-2003, 12:12 AM
Navy Vet. and ///M fan

Pani~ I have sent off a couple of emails regarding your query and will hear back shortly, I am sure. The design is still undecided, but we will get more information soon. I think that a projector with halogen-like surround (like the 740s) would look great. Lets see what the gurus come up with!

-bryon
Old 05-22-2003, 10:15 AM
Automotive Hypochondriac

Mein Auto: 2001 LSB M Coupe
Cool. Thanks!
Old 05-22-2003, 03:52 PM
Needs more cowbell

Send a message via AIM to WileECoyote
Mein Auto: 1999 Z3 2.8, 2000 328Ci
Re: Projectors & HIDs in Z3/M headlights...its in the works!

Quote:
Originally posted by PDX M Coupe
Matt from Umnitza is working on getting us a kit together to modify our existing headlights to accommodate projectors + HID! What do you guys think? thumbup:
Click on the link below for details!:

~Bryon
How different are these from the ones that LeatherZ sells?

Jon and Andy, I'm guessing you didn't wanna comment?
Old 05-22-2003, 03:58 PM

Re: Re: Projectors & HIDs in Z3/M headlights...its in the works!

Quote:
Originally posted by WileECoyote
How different are these from the ones that LeatherZ sells?

Jon and Andy, I'm guessing you didn't wanna comment?
These are made from original Z3 headlights. Different reflector, different lens, different price.
Old 05-22-2003, 06:08 PM
Needs more cowbell

Send a message via AIM to WileECoyote
Mein Auto: 1999 Z3 2.8, 2000 328Ci
Re: Re: Re: Projectors & HIDs in Z3/M headlights...its in the works!

Quote:
Originally posted by JonM
These are made from original Z3 headlights. Different reflector, different lens, different price.

Which are these? Are they those?

From what I see, yours are the ones that are simple plugin replacements, and theirs are the ones with all the different bits. Is that correct?

What are the advantages/disadvantages of each?

I presume the LeatherZ kit is cheaper...
Old 05-22-2003, 06:25 PM
Im here

Send a message via AIM to 01silber
Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 3.0i
the ones being made that are prototypes use a modified housing and reflector and use a projector type xenon

the ones that are sold by leatherz use the factory housing and reflectors
the adavantage to the ones that leatherz carries is that it is a tried and true method and there kit uses high end, high quality ballast and parts and the oem headlamp assembly

the prototype unit is a highly modified assembly which uses a different light projector system which is cool and the way new bmw have them
the problem is that people have tried to make these before and they were far from good and not so good looking, also consider that if you ever crack a lense or smash one that you will have to go to the company making the modified unit for a replacement assuming they still carry them(unlikely)
i am in no way saying anything bad or negative about anyone making or modifing these headlamps, just pointing out a few things to think about
Old 05-22-2003, 06:29 PM

Yeah, everything Max said.

We have an account with Hella and I thought about doing this a few years ago, but I didn't think they would sell at the price they would come in at. Heck, I didn't think there was much market for the xenon kits we sell now at $5XX or whatever it is.
Old 05-23-2003, 12:07 AM
Navy Vet. and ///M fan

Umnitza has an account with Hella as well. And no worries, if you need a replacement part, Umnitza has been around for a while and is not going anywhere. I am not sure about the specifics of the warranty of parts and such, as I am not affiliated with Umnitza, rather I am just a big supporter of the project! The prototype, to be installed on Jim Powell's own car, will by tried and tested for heat, rattles, durability, you name it. The company will stand behind their product, or they will not sell it...plain and simple. We won't know exactly how it will look until they decide to post up pictures. Not too many people were happy with what has come out of hid4less as of yet, so I am sure that will be kept in mind as the prototype is built.

The kit from LeatherZ is one of the best HID systems you can get for our cars, and just lets your plug and play without modification. Their kit will be less expensive than Umnitza's projector retrofit setup as well. There is nothing wrong with going this route, but the beam pattern just isn't going to be as precise as with a projector setup.

HID systems just plain work better, producing a better beam pattern with projector lenses and appropriate reflectors. This is why I did not go out and buy a plug and play HID kit right away, and instead have scoured the community for support on this project. Umnitza stepped up to the challenge as a reputable company with a knowledgable staff capable to do the job. What may be different now with this venture is that it has tons of support from many interested Z3/M coupe/roadster owners that are excited about finally getting projectors for their cars.

So soon we will see just how good it looks...I can hardly wait!