Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Classic Bimmers

Classic Bimmers
Discussions pertaining to vintage and classic BMW models here...

Old 05-18-2008, 09:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 E60
2002 odometer problems

I just bought a 1973 2002. I've noticed that the trip meter and odometer doesn't work, even though the speedometer does. ANy suggestions as to what the problem might be?

Thanks,
Ads by Google
Old 05-20-2008, 06:24 PM

Mein Auto: 1967 1600
Hi ho,
Long time, no see!
There is a plastic gear inside that strips over time. Seems to me there is a place that will fix it. Let me do a search and I will get back to you. If anyone has performed that surgery I would like to hear....
Old 05-20-2008, 07:23 PM

Mein Auto: 1967 1600
Here is a dialogue I found
Q:
I've got an odometer that is not working at all from my '72 '02. I've taken the speedometer unit apart and have found what seems to be the problem- a very small cast pot-metal gear seems to become detached from the steel shaft that should turn it. This gear is at the fast-turning end of the regular odometer and would activate both the "ones" mile counter wheel and the trip odometer if it were still turning with the shaft it's on. The shaft is smooth and the method of assembly seems to indicate that the whole "stack" of counter wheels for the odometer is assembled on the shaft, inside a bracket that is used as the end bearings of the shaft ("U shaped" with all of the counter wheels inside the "U"). Since both the inside
of the cast gear and the outside of the shaft are smooth, I can only guess how they were attached in the past- Loctite? There would have been no obvious method of attachment except some sort of glue, but no trace of the glue remains. I also don't quite know how the glue would have been inserted after the assemble was made. OR, perhaps the gear was made with an undersize hole and pressed on during assembly, in which case I might have seen some longitudinal "teeth" in the shaft in the proper area instead of the smooth surface on the shaft.
A:
I've repaired speedos before and the units just seem to be pressurized although it's not impossible some kind of adhesive inside the cast wheel/shaft was used.

you've already determined that the shaft cast wheel/gear has come apart. This is typically what causes speedos in general to stop working. Looking at the back of the speedo gauge you'll see where the cast wheel shaft gets the speedo cable inserted. Usually with a few taps on the back of the wheel you can get the cast wheel and gear back in place and your miles and trip will start working again. Looking from the back of it, the two should be perfectly flush and it should not be sticking out at the outermost tip. If there is any play or it is not flush and sticking out tap it into place.

I didn't catch whether it was just the top mileage counter or the bottom odometer that was failing or both. If neither work the above is most likely solve your problem.

If one of the two works then your problem is elsewhere. The problem then will lie in front of the cast wheel around where the top and bottom gears synchronize which in that case you will have to take it apart and see.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 E60
Smile

Thanks Eric. I too did some research and found a tech tip that is suppose to fix this common problem. Since my car has a late 74-76 dash in it, I'm going to just put my original dash back in my car and see which gauge doesn't work, and go from there!

This past weekend I also discovered my car has a brake line leak. The rubber doesn't last 35 years? I'm coming to have to go over the entire car and replace all the rubber lines, vacuum hoses, I can find. Just for my own peace of mind!