Should BMW start a recall for the: THE SQUEAKY WHEEL SYNDROME??? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-04-2008, 03:46 PM

Mein Auto: 08' 335i
Should BMW start a recall for the: THE SQUEAKY WHEEL SYNDROME???

Well I know there have been ALOT of threads on this "SQUEAKY WHEEL SYNDROME" but really this problem is ever so annoying and I have yet to see a solution. Ive been to the dealership a couple of times and they kept saying it was the brakes... so they eventually(after going 2 or 3 times) just changed all four brakes with new ones (which didnt cost a dime. Ill give BMW that much). See, it seems most of the 3 series owners face this problem: when accelerating from a stop there is a squeaky noise coming from the rear and it only squeaks from 1-20 mph. With this kind of problem is there any chance of a recall or at least we can tell the appropriate people to get this problem resolved? Because when I bought a BMW car I expected BMW....
Advertisement
Old 06-04-2008, 04:26 PM
*Da Butter Pecan Papi*

Mein Auto: e92 335i
I had that same fricking problem... I only heard it after I drove a distance longer than 10 miles and would only hear it after I slowed down to about 10-20mph... Took it to the dealer and did something to it to make it stop... It just started again last week.
I don't think this issue is serious enough for a recall though.

*Butter Pecan Papi*
e92 335i
e90 330i (Sold)
e46 323i
e34 530i (Sold)

BMW Car Club of America - National Capital Chapter
Old 06-04-2008, 04:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 328xi
i got my '07 328xi about 3 weeks ago and i've been to the dealer twice to have the squeeking looked at. it only seems to happen when i press the break a little harder at slower speeds. the first time at the dealer they replaced the rear brakes then the next time they replaced the front ones. it's still happening. i guess i'll just have to live with it
Old 06-04-2008, 04:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 VW GTI Sport MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by blown View Post
Well I know there have been ALOT of threads on this "SQUEAKY WHEEL SYNDROME" but really this problem is ever so annoying and I have yet to see a solution. Ive been to the dealership a couple of times and they kept saying it was the brakes... so they eventually(after going 2 or 3 times) just changed all four brakes with new ones (which didnt cost a dime. Ill give BMW that much). See, it seems most of the 3 series owners face this problem: when accelerating from a stop there is a squeaky noise coming from the rear and it only squeaks from 1-20 mph. With this kind of problem is there any chance of a recall or at least we can tell the appropriate people to get this problem resolved? Because when I bought a BMW car I expected BMW....
I don't think "most" 3 series owners have this problem. I'm sure this is annoying and I hope BMW resolves it quickly but just because you see it here a few or more times doesn't mean it's that common. I don't have this issue with my E90 328.

Thanks, Mike.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
I don't think "most" 3 series owners have this problem. I'm sure this is annoying and I hope BMW resolves it quickly but just because you see it here a few or more times doesn't mean it's that common. I don't have this issue with my E90 328.

Thanks, Mike.
I guess I should have used some instead of most anyways I'm happy that you don't have the same annoying problem because its alot better to live without. What I was trying to get at was if anyone has this problem and actually fixed it.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Sapphire/coral 335i Cp
I have experienced the same but it is sporadic. obviously more audible with the windows open now that the weather is warmer. I figured it might have something to do with the hill holder.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:38 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
I have it too. Gets kinda annoying after awhile.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:17 PM
woodie5

Mein Auto: '04 x3 '07 E 90
I also have it, and it is very annoying.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i (coupe)
Whoa, it feels so strange to come on the board and see that my problem is shared by others! This is driving me nuts and it is embarrassing, actually. I wouldn't mind turning heads if they were looking at the beautiful car, but I fear it is the noise that draws the attention these days. For me it seems to be when I am not braking that I notice it the most. It is at low speeds. And it is annoying. I haven't said anything to the dealer yet, but I will now that I know it is a legitimate problem.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:08 PM

Mein Auto: e90
if they make it a recall they lose money by changing everyones brakes. if they just wait till they come in and complain, then they don't lose as much.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:11 PM

Mein Auto: '15 228i (hers: '15 328xi
"Bedding" your brakes is supposed to fix this.
http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

I'm too lazy (wussy) to go through with this process though.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:21 PM
Officially Welcomed

Mein Auto: 2006 e90 325i
What noise? I guess I don't hear or have it. But I'll listen for it.

Current Car: 2006 e90 325i | Monaco Blue | Beige Leather | Premium | Cold Weather | Steptronic | Xenon Headlights | Comfort Access
Former Car(s): 2006 e90 325i - (47 days in service) RIP

"I don't have to drive like I am in a race car everyday, it's just knowing that I can!"
~Calliope (bimmerfest member) +1
Old 06-05-2008, 05:58 AM
Living my Ultimate dream

Mein Auto: 2009 E92 335i Dinan S3
Never heard of this issue. I don't have that problem with my car.
2007 335i Coupe - Space Gray
2009 X5 - Monaco Blue

Old 06-05-2008, 07:14 AM
Combat Commuter

Mein Auto: 2007 E93 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4ragtop View Post
"Bedding" your brakes is supposed to fix this.
http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

I'm too lazy (wussy) to go through with this process though.
That doesn't work for this problem. It is coming from my right rear hub/brake. I have had this done: IIRC - mileage is not exact

8K - Told dealer something was squeaking - sounded like brakes. Dealer Could Not Duplicate
18K - Told dealer the squeaking was definitely from right rear. Dealer said the early E60's had same issue and so attempted E60 fix - chamfering brake sensor.
20K - Squeak was back
30K - Told dealer squeak was back. Previous "fix" only good for about 2K miles. Dealer replaced rear pads and sensor.
34K - Squeak returns - but not as loud or often.

Gotta love having the top down, traveling about 15mph or so, and all you hear over the music is squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, etc.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:19 AM

Mein Auto: Z4MC, 328xiT
Brake squeak is usually caused by brake dust accumulating in the calipers. When you wash your car, be sure to run plenty of water through the calipers to flush away the dust.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcube View Post
That doesn't work for this problem. It is coming from my right rear hub/brake. I have had this done: IIRC - mileage is not exact

8K - Told dealer something was squeaking - sounded like brakes. Dealer Could Not Duplicate
18K - Told dealer the squeaking was definitely from right rear. Dealer said the early E60's had same issue and so attempted E60 fix - chamfering brake sensor.
20K - Squeak was back
30K - Told dealer squeak was back. Previous "fix" only good for about 2K miles. Dealer replaced rear pads and sensor.
34K - Squeak returns - but not as loud or often.

Gotta love having the top down, traveling about 15mph or so, and all you hear over the music is squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, etc.
HAHAHAH nicely put. Its freaking annoying isnt it?... so you went in 5 times and the sound is still there? WOW. I dont know why the dealerships keep saying its the brakes because i dont press the brakes for the car to start squeaking. LIKE I SAID BEFORE THE CAR STARTS SQUEAKING ACCELERATING FROM A STOP. Also the dust brake build up is a bunch of bull because that was the first "solution" to the problem when i went into the dealership and they said they cleaned it blah blah blah and 10 mins later the squeaky sound appears.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:40 AM

I have this problem as well. I told the dealer about it at the 15k service and of course got the "could not reproduce" line. This is probably due to the fact that brakes have to be somewhat hot for it to occur and they just don't drive the car long enough. I will be taking it back for the problem at some point but I would rather be able to point them to the root cause so I don't waist my time.

My theory is that it is related to the parking brake. I know on previous BMW's that the parking brake is a supplemental drum brake in the hub of the rear disc. Is this the same on the 335? I have found that if I pull the parking brake lightly while driving slow (5-15 mph) that the squeak gets much more pronounced. Can anyone duplicate this? Does this help with any theories on solutions?

Last edited by sonorous; 06-05-2008 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonorous View Post
I have this problem as well. I told the dealer about it at the 15k service and of course got the "could not reproduce" line. This is probably due to the fact that brakes have to be somewhat hot for it to occur and they just don't drive the car long enough. I will be taking it back for the problem at some point but I would rather be able to point them to the root cause so I don't waist my time.

My theory is that it is related to the parking brake. I know on previous BMW's that the parking brake is a supplemental drum brake in the hub of the rear disc. Is this the same on the 335? I have found that if I pull the parking brake lightly while driving slow (5-15 mph) that the squeek gets much more pronounced. Can anyone duplicate this? Does this help with any theories on solutions?
Yes it is the same for the 335i. I think its a defect on the 3 series models. Seriously, i had my E-brake up and i tap the gas and that same squeaky sound appeared and when i went in to BMW for the second time i asked them if it COULD be the E-brake and the head engineer said,"OH no it cant be because if it was the E-brake then the sound would be alot more loud and harsh." and they put on new brakes that day and the sound was still there. Its not the brakes i know that much.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:26 AM

I can reproduce the sound without driving the car. After I get out of the car if I push the car back by pushing on the door frame I can hear the sound. Maybe if someone is taking in their car they can point this out. See if it works for you first though.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:29 PM

Mein Auto: E85 M-Roadster, E82 135i
There is a high likelihood that this squeaking is coming from the parking brake. The drum and shoes need periodic polishing to remove rust accumulation - try following the procedure in the manual for doing this (not sure which page, but it is in there). What I do is pull the hand brake up at about 50km/h, button pressed in, and slow the car to almost a stop with the hand brake. If this is the problem, your hand brake will work much better after this procedure. I normally do this after every time I wash the car. This condition is not just restricted to the E9x, but all cars using a drum-in-rotor parking brake, due to the fact that the corrosion is not removed unless you pull on the parking brake while the car is moving.

There is also an issue with the parking brake squeaking when you apply it when stopped, then exit the car. As the car moves slightly against the parking brake drum a squeak will be heard. This condition requires lubrication of the shoe pivot points and point where the side of the shoes touches the backing plate, together with removal of rust, dust and dirt inside the parking brake drum. This only needs to be attended to when the brake pads are changed, but most people doing a brake job don't do this, AFAIK.

Last edited by jsc; 06-05-2008 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc View Post
There is a high likelihood that this squeaking is coming from the parking brake. The drum and shoes need periodic polishing to remove rust accumulation - try following the procedure in the manual for doing this (not sure which page, but it is in there). What I do is pull the hand brake up at about 50km/h, button pressed in, and slow the car to almost a stop with the hand brake. If this is the problem, your hand brake will work much better after this procedure. I normally do this after every time I wash the car. This condition is not just restricted to the E9x, but all cars using a drum-in-rotor parking brake, due to the fact that the corrosion is not removed unless you pull on the parking brake while the car is moving.

There is also an issue with the parking brake squeaking when you apply it when stopped, then exit the car. As the car moves slightly against the parking brake drum a squeak will be heard. This condition requires lubrication of the shoe pivot points and point where the side of the shoes touches the backing plate, together with removal of rust, dust and dirt inside the parking brake drum. This only needs to be attended to when the brake pads are changed, but most people doing a brake job don't do this, AFAIK.
Interesting. I'll give this a try. So to achieve this I do about 70 mph and violently lift the hand brake and leave it till the car comes to a stand still?? Just kidding, please no one do that.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:27 PM

Mein Auto: E85 M-Roadster, E82 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehammocklife View Post
Interesting. I'll give this a try. So to achieve this I do about 70 mph and violently lift the hand brake and leave it till the car comes to a stand still?? Just kidding, please no one do that.
If it is the noise that you can produce when the car is stationary, then the drum/shoe rust removal procedure won't cure that squeak, that needs the pivot point lube procedure that can only be done with the rotor removed (best to adjust the shoe clearance after that procedure too).

The rust removal procedure is mentioned in the owner's manual, though:

"To prevent corrosion and one-sided braking
action, occasionally apply the handbrake
lightly when the vehicle is slowly coming
to a stop if the traffic conditions are suitable."

p51 of this E90 manual: http://www.e90fanatics.com/pdf/E90_OwnersManual.pdf
Old 06-05-2008, 04:59 PM

Quote:
If it is the noise that you can produce when the car is stationary, then the drum/shoe rust removal procedure won't cure that squeak, that needs the pivot point lube procedure that can only be done with the rotor removed (best to adjust the shoe clearance after that procedure too).

The rust removal procedure is mentioned in the owner's manual, though:

"To prevent corrosion and one-sided braking
action, occasionally apply the handbrake
lightly when the vehicle is slowly coming
to a stop if the traffic conditions are suitable."

p51 of this E90 manual: http://www.e90fanatics.com/pdf/E90_OwnersManual.pdf
Thanks for the info. I have both squeaks, so hopefully I'll be 50% complete.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:33 AM
Boosted Bavarian

Mein Auto: '08 335Ci
Quote:
There is also an issue with the parking brake squeaking when you apply it when stopped, then exit the car. As the car moves slightly against the parking brake drum a squeak will be heard. This condition requires lubrication of the shoe pivot points and point where the side of the shoes touches the backing plate...
Great info! I had isolated the problem to the e-brake, but no further. It just doesn't seem right to hear a creaking noise when getting out of a new $50k car. Kind of sounds like rusty old leaf springs! (And before somebody comments on the creak when getting out, I only weigh 180 lbs.)
Old 06-06-2008, 05:38 AM

Mein Auto: 3er
This happened to my car, I took it in and they "Adjusted the backing plate." The squeaking got worse for about 10 minutes then went away. Now I think its back, but some people swear that they are my tires.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search