Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 06-07-2008, 08:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
Questions for e39 DICE Silverline users

I am ready to get the DICE Silverline from EAS but have some questions for e39 users, specifically non-DSP variants. The only real decision is between the radio or the trunk install. The original EAS thread in Jan announcing the availability of the Silverline system seemed to indicate some issues with various early users (not a surprise), given the lengthy thread. Mostly with other models (non-e39). Tom did a great job in responding. So here are some questions specifically for e39 users:

1. Given four months of use, what is your opinion of the Silverline? Would you do it again?

2. The trunk variant definitely appears an easy DIY install. For radio install users, is there any feedback on the degree of difficulty for the radio install? Any special tools required?

3. For those with the trunk version, have any experienced problems with noise? If yes, was there any cure?

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.
Ads by Google
Old 06-10-2008, 10:38 AM
european auto source

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudman View Post
I am ready to get the DICE Silverline from EAS but have some questions for e39 users, specifically non-DSP variants. The only real decision is between the radio or the trunk install. The original EAS thread in Jan announcing the availability of the Silverline system seemed to indicate some issues with various early users (not a surprise), given the lengthy thread. Mostly with other models (non-e39). Tom did a great job in responding. So here are some questions specifically for e39 users:

1. Given four months of use, what is your opinion of the Silverline? Would you do it again?
Most of the original code was based off my previous 540i. The ktis work very well on e39s.

Quote:
2. The trunk variant definitely appears an easy DIY install. For radio install users, is there any feedback on the degree of difficulty for the radio install? Any special tools required?
The radio installation kit is by far the easiest for those with non-DSP. This turns a 45 minute installation into about half the time.

Quote:
3. For those with the trunk version, have any experienced problems with noise? If yes, was there any cure?
The radio installation kit has a lesser cable length, minimizing any chances for EFI.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG FACEBOOK YOUTUBE FLICKR INSTAGRAM
Old 06-10-2008, 11:29 AM

Darn, I just ordered the trunk interface version. No worries. I would like to put the iPod in my center console compartment for easy access. Thanx for the help! i look forward to installing it!
Old 07-21-2008, 03:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 528i a.k.a. The E39
Hey Fudman, I wonder how it's working for you. I've had the the radio kit for my 2000 E39 Non-DSP and I still have not figured out why I can't see my playlists. It plays and sounds great but no text...
Old 07-21-2008, 03:46 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by republica View Post
Hey Fudman, I wonder how it's working for you. I've had the the radio kit for my 2000 E39 Non-DSP and I still have not figured out why I can't see my playlists. It plays and sounds great but no text...
Are you sure you have a SILVERLINE kit?

Old 07-21-2008, 03:56 PM

That's what I ordered and what the Installation Guide/User Manual that came with it says...
Old 07-21-2008, 03:59 PM

If you can shed any light on this issue, it would be great? All the Dip switches are up. And have I disconnected the ipod and car battery for 15 minutes, several times...
Old 07-21-2008, 04:00 PM
european auto source

Quote:
That's what I ordered and what the Installation Guide/User Manual that came with it says...
Pressing CD6/TRACK4, then CD1 will place the text on the MID. CD2 is your Playlists.

Old 07-21-2008, 04:05 PM

I've tried CD6/TRACK4, then CD1 and the screen comes up blank and then individual letters begin to cycle in the 1st character(far left) location of the head unit screen. CD2 also doesn't give me any text. I can control the iPod from both the head unit and the steering wheel via the arrows.

Last edited by republica; 07-21-2008 at 04:10 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:11 PM
european auto source

Quote:
I've tried CD6/TRACK4, then CD1 and the screen comes up blank and then individual letters begin to cycle in the 1st character(far left) location of the head unit screen. CD2 also doesn't give me any text. I can control the iPod from both the head unit and the steering wheel via the arrows.
This means the battery cables were not removed during installation. Perform the following steps:

1. Disconnect iPod from cable
2. Remove battery cables, negative first
3. Touch battery cable terminals together (away from battery) for +5 seconds, a small spark is normal as this is stored power draining from the system.
4. Allow cables to remain disconnected for about 5-7 minutes
5. Reconnect battery cables onto battery, negative last.
6. Reboot iPod by pressing on MENU and CENTER buttons for +5 seconds and then reconnecting to the DICE cable after the reboot process is completed.

Let me know if these steps correct the problem

Old 07-21-2008, 04:20 PM

Mein Auto: 540i M-Sport Wagon
Just yesterday (in the 95 degree heat) I installed a DICE SILVERLINE kit into my '03 540 wagon. The instructions provided through BSW were great and it was a straight-forward project. I went with the console docking station (2point5) and that too went easier than I would have imagined.

It sounds great, though I'm still learning to navigate various playlists, etc. SILVERLINE is relatively intuitive. I'm a neophite to the iPod as well, so I've got learning curves at both ends.

The only tip I can offer with a wagon is to use a straightened metal coat hanger to thread the wiring harness from the back area through the rear seat. Saves you from having to remove the panel in the rear cargo area.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:36 PM

Will do Tom. Thanks! It will be a few days before I report back as I'm traveling on business the next few days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
This means the battery cables were not removed during installation. Perform the following steps:

3. Touch battery cable terminals together (away from battery) for +5 seconds, a small spark is normal as this is stored power draining from the system.
6. Reboot iPod by pressing on MENU and CENTER buttons for +5 seconds and then reconnecting to the DICE cable after the reboot process is completed.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:03 PM

Mein Auto: Golf TDI, 525it
"1. Given four months of use, what is your opinion of the Silverline? Would you do it again?"

Absolutely, if it was for my car. Not sure if I would do it for my wife again though. She didn't have much patience or willingness to figure it out herself. Things are slower and not as straightforward as "put cd into cd player". I may have just opted for one of EAS's aux audio input kits if I was going to do it for my wife again.

Ours worked for a while, then failed. Tom @ EAS and I went back and forth via email trying to figure out what was going on. He was very helpful and patient, but I wasn't so I asked if my wife could stop by so he could just take a quick look at it. He agreed to meet later that day and promptly got everything working. So if you decide to get the Silverline, I highly recommend EAS
Old 07-21-2008, 05:36 PM

I've had mine installed for over a month now and absolutely love it. I have the trunk cable routed into my armrest console, where I store the iPod. A completely invisible install. This gives me ready access to the iPod instead of keeping it in the trunk. Total install time took about 30 minutes. Ratign: Easy as pie.

All in all, the system works great. The iPod will occasionally have a hiccup at the end of a song but I just disconnect, reconnect and I'm back in business.

Absolutely no issues with the dash readout. And the sound quality is a huge step up from the FM transmitter with no more annoying power line buzz. A great complement to upgraded speakers and armrest subwoofer.

Tom at EAS was very helpful in answering questions and helping out on an initial install glitch. Those instructions he just sent tonite worked for me. It is great to have such good product support. Tom & EAS is highly recommended!
Old 07-23-2008, 12:52 PM

Hey Tom, FINALLY got it playing and listing songs after following these instructions...you should include these under the trouble-shooting section.

Thanks again!

R
Quote:

Old 07-23-2008, 12:56 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Hey Tom, FINALLY got it playing and listing songs after following these instructions...you should include these under the trouble-shooting section.

Thanks again!

R
This is the toubleshooting section.

Thanks for following up.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:33 PM

Mein Auto: E30, Es300, benz-sold
ok i'm a noob when it comes to installs and anything to do with electronics.

i want the dice kit but as it stated in this thread....you can choose to have it installed in the trunk or radio?? correct?

will it charge my ipod when the car is on?

also does it come with a dock to place the ipod in??

any info would be great

my cars a 98 non dsp
Old 09-01-2008, 01:20 PM

The basic DICE kit has either the trunk or the radio interface. I'd recommend the trunk interface for easier install (longer cable will go anywhere). The DICE will charge your iPod when the car is on. It does not include the docking stand which is additional $. The DICE attachment cable looks just like the computer cable provided by Apple. I routed my trunk cable into my center console compartment, where I have easy access. The DICE works like a charm. Two thumbs up!
Old 09-01-2008, 10:26 PM

Quote:
The basic DICE kit has either the trunk or the radio interface. I'd recommend the trunk interface for easier install (longer cable will go anywhere). The DICE will charge your iPod when the car is on. It does not include the docking stand which is additional $. The DICE attachment cable looks just like the computer cable provided by Apple. I routed my trunk cable into my center console compartment, where I have easy access. The DICE works like a charm. Two thumbs up!
here's another question....can you hook it up to the trunk and leave it in there since you can control it with the radio?? or does it need to come through and hook up to something else??

also there a jack in my glove box, whats that for, can dice be hooked up through that??
Old 09-02-2008, 12:48 AM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: 2003 540i/6 //m-tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexbenz View Post
here's another question....can you hook it up to the trunk and leave it in there since you can control it with the radio?? or does it need to come through and hook up to something else??

also there a jack in my glove box, whats that for, can dice be hooked up through that??
If it is a mini phone plug, then someone has installed an Aux Input. Scan through the modes on the MID and see if AUX comes up. If so, you can run a cable from the headphone plug on the Ipod to the aux input and you will get the audio, but no steering wheel control (except volume) and no display.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Yes, just leave the excess cable coiled up in the amp/CD changer compartment. One end of the cable attaches to the CD changer input and the other end to the iPod. There's also a small box on the DICE cable but will easily fit into the compartment.

I was initially going to put my iPod in the trunk too, but put it in the center console for easier access. I have had the occasional (twice since Jun) glitch, where the iPod freezes up. I have had to disconnect the iPod and reconnect it to the cable. Works fine after that. Easy to do while driving when in the center console compartment.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:50 AM
european auto source

Quote:
ok i'm a noob when it comes to installs and anything to do with electronics.

i want the dice kit but as it stated in this thread....you can choose to have it installed in the trunk or radio?? correct?

will it charge my ipod when the car is on?

also does it come with a dock to place the ipod in??

any info would be great

my cars a 98 non dsp
The kit will come with a docking cable - ashtray docks are not necessary and add zero features to the system.

Do you have Business Cassette or Navigation?

Old 09-02-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:
The kit will come with a docking cable - ashtray docks are not necessary and add zero features to the system.

Do you have Business Cassette or Navigation?

Business Cassette but i have some sort of jack in the glove box......

there used to be a cd changer but i think it was sold off.....
Old 09-02-2008, 11:47 AM
european auto source

Quote:
Business Cassette but i have some sort of jack in the glove box......

there used to be a cd changer but i think it was sold off.....
There's no factory-supplied jack in your model year, can you post a picture?

Old 09-02-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:
There's no factory-supplied jack in your model year, can you post a picture?
it looks lie a aux line.....i'll snap a pic in a few