Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:57 AM
Certified User

Mein Auto: 128i Cabrio & Saab 9-2X
Why I really dislike/hate the 1-series!!!!!

O.K., I see a lot of threads on the forum get hijacked by those who clearly have no interest in the 1er (e.g. late model 3er owners, et al), so here's a thread specifically for them..
You know who you are, so let's hear what you have to say...
There are lots of potential 1er owners lurking about looking for the pluses and minuses of owning the 1er, and here's your opportunity to disuade them from making, what in your opinion would be, a serious purchase mistake...
So let the games begin...
Ads by Google
Old 06-09-2008, 07:17 AM

Mein Auto: 128i - YEAR OF THE 1
I just ordered my 128i, so I can start with constructive feedback:

1) The body styling is more of a prelude to the softer/rounder E46/Z3 styling. Maybe you don't like it

2) "Price" If you look at the 1-series as the entry-level Bimmer, and can't be convinced otherwise, you'll balk at the price. Bargain hunters won't like the 1 right now

3) Option costs. The car is fairly well equipped, but optioons run the price up fast.

4) Packages. You have to buy BMW assist to get Bluetooth. A maddening decision to bundle Bluetooth in a $750 package with a service that has little or no value to most buyers. (Boo, BMW!)

5) Practicality. The car has a barely functional backseat, and it is more snug than an E90 3-series. If you want a 'practical car,' you will hate the 1-series.

6) Awesomeness. If you are afraid of being truly awesome, the envy of your neighbors' wives, and fear the potential of become a rock star... this isn't a good car. (Ok, this one is a little hyperbole)
Old 06-09-2008, 11:33 AM
Don't be a left lane hog

Mein Auto: Golf VI R
Not a dislike, let alone a hate but

My observation is that the plastic used in the 1ers seems and feels cheaper than the plastic in other model lines.
I prefer the hump for the nav screen over the flip down screen, it looks less integrated and it's another moving part that is subject to failure.
E90 330i ED June 26 2006- ED Trip Report

"Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?"- George Carlin
Old 06-09-2008, 02:48 PM
BMW Fahrer

Mein Auto: E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
My observation is that the plastic used in the 1ers seems and feels cheaper than the plastic in other model lines.
Never been inside an X3, huh?

adc
09 M3 Sedan ED
12 MINI Countryman S All4
93 Miata LE
Old 06-09-2008, 06:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335i coupe, Mazdaspeed
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Never been inside an X3, huh?
That is another cheap entry level car. The X3 is horrifically overpriced; more for those who want the X5 but can't afford it. You would be better served in a CR-V than an X3.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:00 AM
BMW Fahrer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needagarage View Post
That is another cheap entry level car. The X3 is horrifically overpriced; more for those who want the X5 but can't afford it. You would be better served in a CR-V than an X3.
It's an entry level vehicle, allright - at least for those who want 5 series space at 3 series price. Me, I've never wanted an X5 - too heavy, soft and thirsty.

We got ours for $36k and change delivered in Munich, went around and had a smashing vacation in it (all 4 of us plus a toddler), carried stuff from Home Depot and occasionally humbled a bunch of other cars with sporting pretentions.

But the interior is horrible, at least on 04-05 models. We put up with it because of the utility factor. I just don't see how a CRV would do better in any area.

adc
09 M3 Sedan ED
93 Miata LE
Old 06-10-2008, 10:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3, 2009 128i
Quote:
Well, since you thought it was a good idea to pi$$ off all of us here who drive X3s, it is obvious you have either not driven one or looked at them since they were first sold here. My 2008 X3 which I took delivery of in Munich is as nice, if not nicer, than any 3er (or 1er) I have looked at recently. I am not someone who could not afford an X5, I didn't want the additional bulk the X5 offers. As for the Honduh CR-V comment, maybe you would be better served in a Civic than a 128 or 135. I guess you could almost apply your "another cheap entry level car" to the new 1 series as well, huh? The proof is in the driving.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:23 AM
Certified User

Mein Auto: 128i Cabrio & Saab 9-2X
Jeebus, my "let the 1er haters have a go at bashing the 1er" thread has been hijacked by those wanting to bash another Bimmer model..
C'mon guys.. Let's stick to listing all the shortcoming of the 1er - after all, this is a MB for those interested in 1ers, not X3ers..
Old 06-10-2008, 11:23 AM
BMW Fahrer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRoad View Post
Jeebus, my "let the 1er haters have a go at bashing the 1er" thread has been hijacked by those wanting to bash another Bimmer model..
C'mon guys.. Let's stick to listing all the shortcoming of the 1er - after all, this is a MB for those interested in 1ers, not X3ers..
OK, let's not hijack your thread.

I actually like the 1 series very much and cannot think of any bad thing to say about it.

adc
09 M3 Sedan ED
93 Miata LE
Old 06-10-2008, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2001.5 audi s4
I think only people in packed urban environments (manhattan, chicago) would be more likely to opt for the 1 series. Because the price difference between the 1 and the 3 isn't that big, I think most people would rather get the 3 series, a bmw benchmark and car and driver top 10 for the past 17 years as opposed to getting a smaller less practical car for not much less money. Especially since this is an introductory model and will most likely have some kinks worked out (already a new 1 series mule spotted being tested).
Old 06-10-2008, 11:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRoad View Post
HAHAHA...

This is a very interesting forum! What did you guys do to attract so must negativity?
Old 06-10-2008, 11:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3, 2009 128i
Sorry to hijack the thread. After driving the one and looking at it more times than I care to admit, the only down side I can identify is the price!
Old 06-10-2008, 12:27 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2006 325i sport
I hate the fact we can't get European models in the US.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:34 PM
"Clunker" *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
Absolutely (although some of the European 'festers have convinced me that the back seat is only for very small people).
Old 06-10-2008, 12:47 PM
*insert witty one liner*

Mein Auto: 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
Agreed I would die for their clear corner headlights, cloth interior, and an optional sunroof.

Here are some drawbacks I see:

1.) Seat belts: They're positioned too far back, and twist very easily. My front passenger belt will go completely limp and won't retract (noticed it on ED, going to tell my CA about it).

2.) Ash tray: I don't ever plan on smoking in my car. I'd like to have the option of replacing the ash tray with a usable storage space.

3.) Weight: If they could have gotten the car below 3000 pounds this car would have been MUCH better.

3.a) Sunroof: Would have liked this option to save more weight.

Last edited by InsaneSkippy; 06-10-2008 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:48 PM

Mein Auto: 323i
I test drove the 128 last week.
I like it, handling is great.
I hate the angel eye bulb in yellowish color, should be in white color
if I buy a 128, first thing I will do is to change the damn yellow angel to match the xenon white.

I don't like the frosted lense in the daytime running light, look like an old time Mercedes.
I think the lense should be clear instead.

I don't like the cup holder in the passenger side, they should make it the same as the 3 series.

over all, I like the car and plan to buy one if the dealer give me a price break.
thanks for sharing.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:31 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 03 m3, waiting on m235i
Only thing I hate, no anthracite headliner option in the 135i sports package
Old 06-10-2008, 01:34 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2006 325i sport
We've been living with a 118i hatch in Europe for awhile. US-spec cars get a lot of rubbish stuff that I could do without.

Like the stupid warning chimes. In the 118i, it NEVER chimes if you leave the key in when you open the door. It also doesn't chime when you turn on the ignition, regardless of whether you have the belt fastened. (But if you drive off w/o a belt, it will start to chime). Rolling up the windows with the remote was also a cool feature. And EfficientDynamics..........brilliant. The electric power steering is the best electric steering I've ever driven!
Old 06-11-2008, 12:13 PM
Long LIVE ZFHP22!

Mein Auto: 2006 330i 6MT Sport
Quote:
I agree that the X3 is horrifically overpriced, most BMW's are. But the other things you say.... My wife's X3 blows the CR-V away at everything we use it for. The fact that you would make this ridiculous comparison says that you have either 1) never driven an X3 and/or 2) Do not know what you are talking about.

This isnt to say it is for everybody. The X3 has its flaws but all around it is one heck of a car. Plus we bought it off a 3 year lease so we saved over 13k. AND we have a manual gearbox.

Cursed plastic impailor waterpumps, plastic bleeder screws, m20 timing belts, anti rattle clips, window regulators, CDV valves, digital odometer displays, evaporative emissions circuit, aux cooling fan, sunroof drains, heator cores, door seals, control modules, M62 cam covers and of course GM autos.... (more to come)
Old 06-11-2008, 12:39 PM

Mein Auto: Mini Cooper S
Why I hate the 1 series:

1). It is designed for driving at speeds which greatly exceed US speed limits and will cause me to get speeding tickets. I even had to buy a radar detector which BMW didn't tell me I needed before I bought it.

2). It handles too well. It handles so well that while on ED driving on switchbacks my wife thought she was going to die because we were able to drive around corners much faster than she is used too.

3). I enjoy driving it too much. I am going to exceed the miles on my lease and have to buy more at lease end. I am also going to spend even more money on extra gas.

4). It is driving me nuts to have to wait for it to arrive in the US, I am obsessing about it and this is causing my work to suffer as I sit in meetings and daydream about the wonderful driving while on ED.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:58 PM

Mein Auto: 128i - YEAR OF THE 1
Yes. The 10-12 week wait may cause me to lose my job. anticipation for the 1-series is a downside.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
I prefer the hump for the nav screen over the flip down screen, it looks less integrated and it's another moving part that is subject to failure.
They have some nice carbon fibre that you can replace the plastic parts with. My friend replaced them on his 130i here in Taiwan and the interior just looked amazing after. Those plastic pieces just pop right off and are easy to replace.
330 Coupe Sold
Old 06-11-2008, 01:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwadam View Post
I agree that the X3 is horrifically overpriced, most BMW's are. But the other things you say.... My wife's X3 blows the CR-V away at everything we use it for. The fact that you would make this ridiculous comparison says that you have either 1) never driven an X3 and/or 2) Do not know what you are talking about.

This isnt to say it is for everybody. The X3 has its flaws but all around it is one heck of a car. Plus we bought it off a 3 year lease so we saved over 13k. AND we have a manual gearbox.

The X3 is a very nice automobile
330 Coupe Sold
Old 06-11-2008, 03:31 PM

Mein Auto: 335i coupe, Mazdaspeed
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwadam View Post

Drove one while car was in service. At 13k off it isn't a bad deal. At full sticker it is a joke. The car had an auto and it was decently powerful but not that great of mileage. I honestly don't know why someone would get an x3 over a standard sedan or something cheaper like a CR-V. The BMW offers a more powerful (and thirsty engine) and a better interior but it costs nearly 15k more. A 3 year old X3 vs a new CR-V is a better comparision but new to new the BMW doesn't make much sense. They are both smaller, shorter, on road SUVs made for suburban moms. The manual gearbox is about the only true discriminator.

Just because I don't put a premium on the badge doesn't mean i don't know what I am talking about. The X3 is not for me.

Unless you were going offroad and needed a leather interior the x3 is more of a status mobile than an suv.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:35 PM
In vino veritas

Mein Auto: German Civic
My problem with the 1 series (in US market guise) is that it has no purpose. Simple as that.

It's too expensive and comes with too many high-level trim options and standard features to be a truly legitimate budget-minded alternative to the 3er. So that argument falls flat. You get the same engines as the 3er cars, and generally the same options, so in effect you're spending a couple grand less for the same thing. That would be great - if the 1 series had four doors or some other equally important measure of practicality (I think the three door hatch is the best model - the back seat is indeed tight for most adults). You're also getting an inferior badge, which is a serious issue to the status-conscious buyers who probably constitute a majority of BMW's customers.

It's too large and heavy to appeal to the "small, light, agile" crowd (at least those who are in their right minds), and certainly in no way resembles the renowned 2002 - or even an E36, really. The 1 series feels about as large as, and noticeably heavier than (and it is - from 100 lbs as a 128i to over 300 lbs in 135i guise), my early production E46 daily driver. Drove them back to back. How can I be "thrilled" with the car when the only real advantage it offers over my aging E46 is a more powerful engine? And next to my 987S? Not even a comparison. Granted, the 1er does drive as well as or better than any other current production BMW, but still falls short in that regard of most older models (even those of fairly recent vintage).

At the end of the day: you're getting a slightly cheaper, slightly smaller, slightly uglier E92 clone that the outside world will ultimately regard as inferior because of its "entry level" image. Take it for what it is.

It's not a poor car - quite decent, in fact. It just doesn't make any real sense.

The US-market 1 series should have been a practical, affordable, fun and super efficient (four cylinder) little car - just like the 2002 that it claims to represent. Think of it as a VW Golf competitor. Had the 1 series come to this market in a simple hatchback trim with four cylinder diesel engines, I would seriously have considered purchasing one. I've liked the 1er diesels I've rented in Germany; they manage to combine some degree of practical fun with a fantastic level of efficiency. That, however, would have stepped on the luxury marque image that BMW works so hard to maintain in this country, so we have what we have.

Last edited by akhbhaat; 06-11-2008 at 05:37 PM.