Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:11 PM
Need a Toyota?

Mein Auto: MBZ E500
Oh sh1t, I'm locked out of my car

I'm not sure exactly how I managed to do this. I was cleaning the car, and inadvertedly leaned on the remote and started to lower the windows. Can't have that, I just cleaned the car and the windows will be streaked.

I put the key in the ignition and rolled the windows up so I could clean them. I got out of the car to clean the outside of the window and closed the door.

Windows are clean... uh, why are the doors locked? Oh sh1t, where are my keys?

Anyway, I'm now on hold with BMW roadside assistance for the past 10 minutes. Can they remotely unlock me or am I screwed?
Ads by Google
Old 06-09-2008, 07:13 PM
Go Gators

Send a message via AIM to BmW745On19's
Mein Auto: 745i
Spare key anywhere?

Try the trunk.

Leave the driver's door cracked next time, it wont lock if the driver's door is open, but will if the passengers' doors are open.

Locksmith if no spare key.

The Only 745i to Consider
Old 06-09-2008, 07:33 PM
Hot for Teacher...

Mein Auto: E46, E65
Sh!t man this really really sucks trust me. Locksmiths don't like to touch our cars because of the double barrel door locks but an experienced locksmith has "other ways" to get in besides just the lock cylinder itself. I know when I locked my keys in the trunk of my 325 convertible I had no choice but to have it towed to the dealership.

Unfortunately as far as I know before MY '08 BMW Assist can *not* do remote door unlock on the 7 Series. Maybe you will have better luck

Whatever you do, resist the urge to break the window... You'll be in for a rude awakening when it comes time to replace it.

Last edited by Playdrive4me; 06-09-2008 at 07:37 PM.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:34 PM
Account close at users request

Mein Auto: 2003 745Li
Pretty much screwed from what Ive read before.
Break the window if nothing else.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:43 PM
Need a Toyota?

Yep, pretty much what I got from Roadside Assistance and BMW Assist.

They're coming to tow my car to the local dealership so they can unlock it. At least it's free, apparently it's covered by my warranty.

No, I don't have a spare key, I just posted yesterday about replacement keys so I'd have a spare. Of course, I didn't think I could actually lock myself out. BTW, neither did BMW.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:29 PM
Need a Toyota?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmW745On19's View Post
Spare key anywhere?

Try the trunk.

Leave the driver's door cracked next time, it wont lock if the driver's door is open, but will if the passengers' doors are open.

Locksmith if no spare key.
Hmm, the drivers door was the one that was last to close. I'm still not sure exactly how I managed to lock the doors.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:32 PM
Need a Toyota?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playdrive4me View Post
Sh!t man this really really sucks trust me. Locksmiths don't like to touch our cars because of the double barrel door locks but an experienced locksmith has "other ways" to get in besides just the lock cylinder itself. I know when I locked my keys in the trunk of my 325 convertible I had no choice but to have it towed to the dealership.

Unfortunately as far as I know before MY '08 BMW Assist can *not* do remote door unlock on the 7 Series. Maybe you will have better luck

Whatever you do, resist the urge to break the window... You'll be in for a rude awakening when it comes time to replace it.
BTW, you're info is almost exactly correct regarding BMW assist not being open doors remotely. They told me MY2007, but neither of those is 2003. LOL. I gave them a little crap BTW. I asked them why GM cars have had this ability for around 7 or 8 years, but BMW can't do it unless you bought your car last year.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:15 PM
bmw addiction

Mein Auto: X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjwheeling View Post
I asked them why GM cars have had this ability for around 7 or 8 years, but BMW can't do it unless you bought your car last year.
what was their reply?

2012 X5d | White on Black | Fully Loaded | Sport Package
Black Trim Painted White

-2009 E320 Diesel | White on Black | H&R Springs | Kleemann KD-Box | 20" Monarch Hamburg Rims
Black Roof | E63 Rear Lip | Hood Emblem Delete | Foglight Chrome Trim Delete Gone

-2003 760LI Titanium Gray Metallic | Every option | H&R Springs upfront , via computer in rear
OEM Style 128 21" wheels | 40% tint | AIB Angel Eye's w/ matching foglights Gone
Old 06-09-2008, 09:27 PM
Need a Toyota?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny_j View Post
what was their reply?
"Yes sir, that's true." What else are they going to say?

I was only kidding with them anyway; they weren't the ones dumb enough to lock their keys in the car, I was.

BTW, I've owned over 50 cars and taken care of well over 200 of them, and NEVER locked keys in a car before.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:44 PM
Hot for Teacher...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjwheeling View Post
"Yes sir, that's true." What else are they going to say?

I was only kidding with them anyway; they weren't the ones dumb enough to lock their keys in the car, I was.

BTW, I've owned over 50 cars and taken care of well over 200 of them, and NEVER locked keys in a car before.
I wish I had it that together!

Fortunately the times it has happened to me in the past it hasn't been terribly difficut to get them out. The BMW was the single exception to this. My 325 is a Convertible so there is NO trunk pass thru and someone had turned on the valet lockout previously... absolutely NO way to get in there... PERIOD.

To make matters worse I was mere INCHES from the interstate because the whole reason the keys got stuck in there in the first place was because I was going to try to move to a safer location after I took out the spare tire. Well, I wasnt thinking straight with cars whizzing by me at 84 million mph and I put the keys in the trunk and shut it.

Long story short the car sat there all night with no hazard lights on a curve (someone had spilled something on the button at some point) and cost me well in excess of 100 bucks at the dealership. All they did was type the VIN into their computer, take an unused keyfob out of inventory, temporarily program it and then pop the locks by remote... and I didn't even get to keep the spare they used!
Old 06-09-2008, 11:13 PM
Need a Toyota?

Quote:
I wish I had it that together!

Fortunately the times it has happened to me in the past it hasn't been terribly difficut to get them out. The BMW was the single exception to this. My 325 is a Convertible so there is NO trunk pass thru and someone had turned on the valet lockout previously... absolutely NO way to get in there... PERIOD.

To make matters worse I was mere INCHES from the interstate because the whole reason the keys got stuck in there in the first place was because I was going to try to move to a safer location after I took out the spare tire. Well, I wasnt thinking straight with cars whizzing by me at 84 million mph and I put the keys in the trunk and shut it.

Long story short the car sat there all night with no hazard lights on a curve (someone had spilled something on the button at some point) and cost me well in excess of 100 bucks at the dealership. All they did was type the VIN into their computer, take an unused keyfob out of inventory, temporarily program it and then pop the locks by remote... and I didn't even get to keep the spare they used!
Luckily, it happened at my dealership, so mostly it's just an inconvenience. I just took home a 540 that I'm selling. It's locked up in my gated lot, not to mention that it's locked.

I needed a spare key anyway; maybe I'll buy one tomorrow.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 Lexus LS460L
I needed a spare key anyway; maybe I'll buy one tomorrow.

Still may take a couple of days. Mine had to be ordered in.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:50 AM

Mein Auto: 06 BMW325Ci
I locked my keys in the trunk of my 06 325ci, and I do not have a pass through either. My car spare key was 400 miles away and BMW roadside told me the same thing, IM SOL. I was able to get into the car from a two truck driver who happened to be driving by, but once in, the trunk release wouldnt work. I called a guy I know from the dealer and he came right out, took the key mechanism off the door (two screws, took less then a minute), turned the double lock off, and the trunk was unlocked. If you lock your keys in the trunk, you do not have to get it towed, I can try to post a DIY, but I didnt think I would want to advertise this kind of information in detail.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:45 AM

Mein Auto: '07 750i BMW; '03 Z4 BMW
I know this doesn't help you, but if you have Comfort Access, you cannot lock the key in the car.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:40 AM
Hot for Teacher...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm1999 View Post
I locked my keys in the trunk of my 06 325ci, and I do not have a pass through either. My car spare key was 400 miles away and BMW roadside told me the same thing, IM SOL. I was able to get into the car from a two truck driver who happened to be driving by, but once in, the trunk release wouldnt work. I called a guy I know from the dealer and he came right out, took the key mechanism off the door (two screws, took less then a minute), turned the double lock off, and the trunk was unlocked. If you lock your keys in the trunk, you do not have to get it towed, I can try to post a DIY, but I didnt think I would want to advertise this kind of information in detail.
Can you send me that information in a PM? Could always be useful in the future, though admittedly I don't remember seeing any screws on mine but it's been a while.

Thanks.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:03 AM
Asanti AF 120

Mein Auto: 745Li 04'
too bad this happened to you, did you say this happened at the dealer?
Old 06-10-2008, 09:48 AM
Need a Toyota?

The saga continues...

Guess what? IN California, BMW will NOT unlock the vehicle for you. The only way to get this done is to order a spare key through BMW and have them overnight it to you. BTW, it's only $150 as opposed to $180 from the dealership, and it takes 1 day! FYI, the number is 1-888-575-5397 to save yourself 4 days and $30.

I also got a number from Brecht BMW to the only guy in San Diego (according to them) that can unlock the car. He's on his way now, and it only costs.....$180!!! I just signed up for AAA Premier which will pay $150 of it, but holy crap.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:48 AM
Need a Toyota?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafa7 View Post
It happend at my dealership.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:21 AM

Mein Auto: F10, E39, Audi Q7
BMW Assist claims they can unlock my doors remotely on my 2007. At least this is what they told me when they were trying to sell me the concierge package. They also had me create a password that they said I would need to have them unlock my car. Trouble is, if my keys are locked in my car, how can I push the BMW assist button to call them?? Just kidding, I guess I should carry around the 800 number.

Prior BMW's: 1987 325e|1993 740i|1998 740il|2002 745li|2007 750li|2006 750li
Old 06-10-2008, 10:31 AM
Need a Toyota?

I'm in. the locksmith arrived and was in in less than a minute.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:40 AM
Hot for Teacher...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafa7 View Post
I think he has his own car dealership, not a BMW dealer.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:19 AM
Need a Toyota?

Quote:
I think he has his own car dealership, not a BMW dealer.
Right. It's on my sig for all of you detectives. LOL
Old 06-10-2008, 11:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by BmW745On19's View Post
Leave the driver's door cracked next time
This is exactly what I do. But I always carry the plastic valet key in my wallet and of course the extra keyfob at home.
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:21 PM
Need a Toyota?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
This is exactly what I do. But I always carry the plastic valet key in my wallet and of course the extra keyfob at home.
Yeah, I'm going to have to get some spare keys.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:33 PM

Mein Auto: 535i
Oh the joys of having BMW Assist where they can remotely unlock the doors for you.