Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 S-Type Jaguar
Thumbs up What year 745 is Most Reliable. Which 1 should buy

Hello Bimmerfest.

I am in the Market for a new Car I am looking into the 745 series, Currently I own an S-Type Jaguar and wish to upgrade. I have my sights set on a 05 7series. I have seen the numerous problems people have been having with there transmissions and other electrical componets and was wonder which year of this series is proven to be the most reliable?

Also what are the size of the speakers in the 7 series I will be going aftermarket sterio nobody can ever give me an answer on the size of teh speakers in this vehicle
Ads by Google
Old 06-10-2008, 08:09 AM
Hot for Teacher...

Mein Auto: E46, E65
LOL... Which year...

Take your pick... It's called Russian Roulette. There are people here with flawless '02s and disastrous '08s.

Search is your friend, these topics have been covered extensively.

Last edited by Playdrive4me; 06-10-2008 at 08:16 AM.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 745Li, X5 3.0, A6 2.7t
All years are hit or miss. I don't have the energy for these kind of conversations anymore lol
Old 06-10-2008, 08:24 AM

Mein Auto: E46
Take 745, subtract 5, and get an E38 740. Problem solved.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playdrive4me View Post
LOL... Which year...

Take your pick... It's called Russian Roulette. There are people here with flawless '02s and disastrous '08s.

Search is your friend, these topics have been covered extensively.
After reading the posts Im seeing owners here with 04s that are having transmission issues ''but not as much as the 06''. 02s with Electrical problems out the @$$. I dont here about the 05 as much. Unless the posters posting problems just havent listed the year of there car but. To answer your question im looking at the 05.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:33 AM
Hot for Teacher...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich City View Post
After reading the posts Im seeing owners here with 04s that are having transmission issues ''but not as much as the 06''. 02s with Electrical problems out the @$$. I dont here about the 05 as much. Unless the posters posting problems just havent listed the year of there car but. To answer your question im looking at the 05.
If you had an early V8 S Type I can't possibly imagine any 7 Series being worse. If you had a V6 that's a different story.

I would not put my faith in any particular year. You need to drive the car and examine its history with a service printout from BMW... NOT just a Carfax or other history report. If you see alot of the same problems over and over and over again you'll want to avoid that car or you're just going to inherit the same headaches the last owner had. If you see various little problems that were resolved but trail off, that's most likely the car you want to buy. You may luck out and find a car with a complete engine or transmission replacement already in its history as it isn't all that uncommon, especially the trans.

Last edited by Playdrive4me; 06-10-2008 at 08:41 AM.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playdrive4me View Post
If you had an early V8 S Type I can't possibly imagine any 7 Series being worse. If you had a V6 that's a different story.

I would not put my faith in any particular year. You need to drive the car and examine its history with a service printout from BMW... NOT just a Carfax or other history report. If you see alot of the same problems over and over and over again you'll want to avoid that car. If you see various little problems that were resolved but trail off, that's most likely the car you want to buy.
Good Advice

By The Way I have the v6 S-Type and I couldnt imagine anybody having more issues then I. I Love the New Jag more then any car I seen so Far but I will never own another Jaguar.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:44 AM
Large Hungarian Sausage

Send a message via ICQ to Druppy Send a message via AIM to Druppy Send a message via MSN to Druppy Send a message via Yahoo to Druppy
Mein Auto: '07 750Li JetBlack/Cream
I have an 05 745 and haven't had any serious problems, I am pretty finiky though so I take it in for every little thing. If you can, I would get an 06, I couldn't justify the extra 10k, but I yearn for the new nav/iDrive system in those. Also check the service records if you can, and get a CPO.
2005 Jet Black/Black E66 745Li - Sold
2000 TiSilver/Grey E39 528iA - Sold
Old 06-10-2008, 10:04 AM

Mein Auto: F07 550i GT
I agree, go with the 06 if you can swing it. If not the 2% offer on the 05's I saw is very tempting. If you can get it later than 3/05 production date go with that one as it will give you mp3s, updated nav/Idrive, and other things I would like.

Aftermarket stereo, search will help, but the only solutions for audiophiles and keeping the stock integration would be some type of summing unit (audiocontrol, jl cleansweep, rockford piece(dont know name) and then do what you want from there. I have though of this and keeping some factory speakers and adding what I like (subs, some door components sets, possibly midranges in front floor) so that I can keep everything BMW gave and get all I want.

Another option is the Tuner Mod (search for this, but basically just removing AM/FM/or Weather band and using that input for another piece (Media Controller kenwood kds or something) allowing you ipod input CD, DVD changer and all other aftermarket goodies.

Ok so thats a preview of what Im thinking of doing, but if your serious you will find your options dwindling to these types of options.

CPO is a must, but try to get one with some new car factory warranty remaining so you can get other things cleared up as CPO DOES NOT COVER (NAV, RADIO, L7, etc...) and they are expensive so if they are bad then get them recovered or at least on record as a complaint.

Hope that helps.

S.

As an Engineer I have to say: When all else fails read the manual. Until then, push random buttons like there is no tomorrow!
Old 06-10-2008, 10:19 AM
Hot for Teacher...

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmooth79 View Post
I agree, go with the 06 if you can swing it. If not the 2% offer on the 05's I saw is very tempting. If you can get it later than 3/05 production date go with that one as it will give you mp3s, updated nav/Idrive, and other things I would like.

Aftermarket stereo, search will help, but the only solutions for audiophiles and keeping the stock integration would be some type of summing unit (audiocontrol, jl cleansweep, rockford piece(dont know name) and then do what you want from there. I have though of this and keeping some factory speakers and adding what I like (subs, some door components sets, possibly midranges in front floor) so that I can keep everything BMW gave and get all I want.

Another option is the Tuner Mod (search for this, but basically just removing AM/FM/or Weather band and using that input for another piece (Media Controller kenwood kds or something) allowing you ipod input CD, DVD changer and all other aftermarket goodies.

Ok so thats a preview of what Im thinking of doing, but if your serious you will find your options dwindling to these types of options.

CPO is a must, but try to get one with some new car factory warranty remaining so you can get other things cleared up as CPO DOES NOT COVER (NAV, RADIO, L7, etc...) and they are expensive so if they are bad then get them recovered or at least on record as a complaint.

Hope that helps.

S.
If you want the most comprehensive warranty but can not afford a late 05 or 06, also consider a very late production 2003 (some of them have in-service dates all the way into late '04) which will still have BMWs factory 6 year 100k FACTORY warranty all the way to 100k miles and sometime in '09 or even '10.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:34 AM

^^ Playdrv is correct, but you have to verify all with BMW as you can only get accurate in-service dates from them and they are rare so he would have to deal with whatever color, i/Li, condition of the car he found.

The 05/06 will give him a much better selection, but at least now he has the info.

As an Engineer I have to say: When all else fails read the manual. Until then, push random buttons like there is no tomorrow!
Old 06-10-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmooth79 View Post

Hope that helps.

S.
all very good info Im looking for one without CPO so I can Extend factory without paying for the cpo thats included in the price of the car.

I need a sound system PERIOD. Do you know the size of the speakers so i can match them? the managers have no clue what size they are at BMW.
JL clean sweep is mandatory ofcourse
Old 06-10-2008, 10:53 AM

any clue why both of my bmw dealerships have no old 7s on the lot? both have only 1 brand new 760
Old 06-10-2008, 11:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 Lexus LS460L
7xx and reliable are mutually exclusive. Want reliable? Look to Japan.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
any clue why both of my bmw dealerships have no old 7s on the lot? both have only 1 brand new 760
prob b/c of the deals theyre doing on em and the price drops, low int loans and other things. Theyre are great cars to drive, just not for the extra stuff in em. I guess if you could wear a walkman w/some good bose headphones(and not look crazy) you would be in heaven.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:10 AM
bmw addiction

Mein Auto: X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by 745ByMySide View Post
All years are hit or miss. I don't have the energy for these kind of conversations anymore lol
+1

2012 X5d | White on Black | Fully Loaded | Sport Package
Black Trim Painted White

-2009 E320 Diesel | White on Black | H&R Springs | Kleemann KD-Box | 20" Monarch Hamburg Rims
Black Roof | E63 Rear Lip | Hood Emblem Delete | Foglight Chrome Trim Delete Gone

-2003 760LI Titanium Gray Metallic | Every option | H&R Springs upfront , via computer in rear
OEM Style 128 21" wheels | 40% tint | AIB Angel Eye's w/ matching foglights Gone
Old 06-10-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2BMW View Post
7xx and reliable are mutually exclusive. Want reliable? Look to Japan.
Most Reliable Lexus just doesent have that look i want
Old 06-10-2008, 11:38 AM
Hot for Teacher...

The speakers are not really standard sizes and theres various different sizes throughout the car. They are either box units or freestanding small drivers placed throughout the cabin. BSW is working on an ALL IN ONE solution for every speaker in the 7 series except for the seat bottom subs but it isn't ready yet...

I used a line output converter to add a subwoofer to the trunk of the car and I plan to replace some of the front components eventually, or with the BSW kit.

Heres the individual part photos:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...15&hg=65&fg=20

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...18&hg=65&fg=20

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...09&hg=65&fg=20

Last edited by Playdrive4me; 06-10-2008 at 11:41 AM.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:50 AM

Mein Auto: Kubota on 48's
don't waste your time - get a hyundai

E66 SAPPHIRE BLACK
Old 06-10-2008, 12:02 PM
Large Hungarian Sausage

Send a message via ICQ to Druppy Send a message via AIM to Druppy Send a message via MSN to Druppy Send a message via Yahoo to Druppy
Mein Auto: '07 750Li JetBlack/Cream
Quote:
I had the same problem and ended up having to drive to LA to find a good selection.
2005 Jet Black/Black E66 745Li - Sold
2000 TiSilver/Grey E39 528iA - Sold
Old 06-10-2008, 12:09 PM
bmw addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by diznik007 View Post
don't waste your time - get a hyundai
or a prius

Black Trim Painted White

-2009 E320 Diesel | White on Black | H&R Springs | Kleemann KD-Box | 20" Monarch Hamburg Rims
Black Roof | E63 Rear Lip | Hood Emblem Delete | Foglight Chrome Trim Delete Gone

-2003 760LI Titanium Gray Metallic | Every option | H&R Springs upfront , via computer in rear
OEM Style 128 21" wheels | 40% tint | AIB Angel Eye's w/ matching foglights Gone
Old 06-10-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny_j View Post
or a prius
LOL, i just picked up another one last week.

E66 SAPPHIRE BLACK
Old 06-10-2008, 01:22 PM
bmw addiction

^^ are you serious?

Black Trim Painted White

Old 06-10-2008, 01:33 PM

yup - for my mom. dark gray, identical to ours (minus the tint of course).

E66 SAPPHIRE BLACK
Old 06-10-2008, 02:02 PM
bmw addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by diznik007 View Post
yup - for my mom. dark gray, identical to ours (minus the tint of course).
get some rims and a exhaust on yours to match the tint.

Black Trim Painted White