Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 03-17-2017, 07:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW X3
2008 X3 Will not turn over.

2008 X3 with 80k. All the dash lights and radio come on like normal. When I turn the key there isn't a sound anywhere from the car. Stone dead. Not sure where to start.
Advertisement
Old 03-17-2017, 08:10 AM

Additional Info

I had just drove the car 30 miles. Stopped to get fuel. Car sat for about 5 minutes.

Last edited by BrianTh; 03-17-2017 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 X3, 6 Speed
Sounds like battery. Same symptom I had couple of weeks ago.

Mind you we had very cold temps here that day, but the car just wouldn't start, all lights etc but not a single click or beep from trying to turn it over.
Check your batt voltage.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:36 PM

Thanks! Heading home from work to check out now. Hopefully this is the case.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:45 PM

Mein Auto: x3
check the engine temp on the dash. .i had that issue after 200miles run and stopped flat out. But eventually worked after 30min
Old 03-17-2017, 06:48 PM

Update

Coolant temp gauge is resting normal. Checked all fuses. I have power at the starter. Volatge is good. Still confused....
Old 03-17-2017, 06:50 PM

Thanks a ton for the lead! Coolant temp gauge is resting normal. Checked all fuses. I have power at the starter. Volatge is good. Still confused....
Old 03-17-2017, 06:56 PM

Starter replacement doesnt look to fun. Figured I would hear a click or something if it was bad...
Old 03-17-2017, 07:02 PM

Starter replacement doesnt look to fun. Figured I would hear a click or something if it was bad...
Old 03-17-2017, 07:17 PM

did you try jump starting it?
Old 03-17-2017, 07:19 PM

Yes, tried jumping with a fully charged pack and then again with another battery.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 03-17-2017, 07:19 PM

Yes, tried jump starting a couple differant times.

Old 03-18-2017, 02:10 AM

Mein Auto: 320d
Mine did the same Brian, mines a 05 2.5 petrol drove home parked up to unlock driveway gates turned the key nothing, so there's my x3 blocking the drive and the wife can't get her car out. I let the garage look at mine as it was booked in for the road test and changing the starter looked a nightmare (starter motor was my problem) and I thought I might have had a click from the starter but got nothing, threw a new battery on to make sure, what the garage had lent me and still nothing. I had already checked all the ground straps which turned out to be ok and looking on the internet changing the starter from the top looked a nightmare and time consuming but the garage put it up on the ramps and were able to change the starter from underneath and with the road test included only charged me for one and a half hours labour plus 98 for a new starter motor of cause.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainkremmin View Post
Mine did the same Brian, mines a 05 2.5 petrol drove home parked up to unlock driveway gates turned the key nothing, so there's my x3 blocking the drive and the wife can't get her car out. I let the garage look at mine as it was booked in for the road test and changing the starter looked a nightmare (starter motor was my problem) and I thought I might have had a click from the starter but got nothing, threw a new battery on to make sure, what the garage had lent me and still nothing. I had already checked all the ground straps which turned out to be ok and looking on the internet changing the starter from the top looked a nightmare and time consuming but the garage put it up on the ramps and were able to change the starter from underneath and with the road test included only charged me for one and a half hours labour plus 98 for a new starter motor of cause.
All this input is great! Thanks a ton. The more I read, the more I am leaning towards the starter. Going to order one today. Thanks again! I will be back in touch in a few days once I make the swap.

Old 03-18-2017, 05:37 AM

Mein Auto: 99 328i, 08 X3
You should at least be able to hear the solenoid click when you turn the key. If not, I would try lightly striking the solenoid with something while someone turns the key to start. If the solenoid is mechanically not actuating due to getting sticky, often a little whack will free it and allow it to make contact.

If still no go, I'd check to see if you're getting power at the solenoid from the key switch (when turned to start position). If not, you could have a bad key switch - a not uncommon failure on this model apparently.

If you CAN hear the solenoid click when you turn the key to start, and you're certain you have good connections to both sides of the starter (positive and negative), then the starter motor is the prime suspect. Be sure to check the positive and negative connections at the starter, as some have reported finding they have loosened over time.

Good luck,

AM.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attacking Mid View Post
You should at least be able to hear the solenoid click when you turn the key. If not, I would try lightly striking the solenoid with something while someone turns the key to start. If the solenoid is mechanically not actuating due to getting sticky, often a little whack will free it and allow it to make contact.

If still no go, I'd check to see if you're getting power at the solenoid from the key switch (when turned to start position). If not, you could have a bad key switch - a not uncommon failure on this model apparently.

If you CAN hear the solenoid click when you turn the key to start, and you're certain you have good connections to both sides of the starter (positive and negative), then the starter motor is the prime suspect. Be sure to check the positive and negative connections at the starter, as some have reported finding they have loosened over time.

Good luck,

AM.
Thank you. I did try tapping the solenoid and starter, no luck. Not a click or anything. I am going to do some more testing this afternoon. Thanks again for all the info.

Old 03-18-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTh View Post
Thank you. I did try tapping the solenoid and starter, no luck. Not a click or anything. I am going to do some more testing this afternoon. Thanks again for all the info.

Any chance your key **** the bed? You got a spare key to try? The EWS might be disabling the start for whatever reason.

The starter should click if it fails. The fact yours is not sounding at all makes me almost think its something else.

Can you hear the fuel pump prime? Below rear seat, passenger side. Pop the cushion off.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:55 PM

Thanks for the info. I did try a spare key, no luck. Will check the fuel pump. I can hear something when I turn the key to first position. Thanks again.

Old 03-18-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I did try a spare key, no luck. Will check the fuel pump. I can hear something when I turn the key to first position. Thanks again.

Damn, sounds like your pump is working then cause thats most likely what your hearing.

You don't have ISTA to scan the car and see if any odd errors on it?

If you do change your starter, take pics lol for future reference for all of us!
Old 03-18-2017, 04:59 PM

Wish I had a scanner. My dad runs an automotive shop, we are going to tackle the starter early this next week. If it's not the starter, bringing it to a dealer most likely..... thanks again. I will keep this thread posted.

Old 03-18-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Wish I had a scanner. My dad runs an automotive shop, we are going to tackle the starter early this next week. If it's not the starter, bringing it to a dealer most likely..... thanks again. I will keep this thread posted.

If your old man has a shop your set dude. Should be fairly easy with a lift.

Do yourself a favour, buy one of these - http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-INPA-EDI...3D301352241817

And download ISTA from this website, load it onto a laptop and say Bye Bye to the dealer.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:08 PM

Awesome! Thanks a ton. Ordering now. I'll post back when this mystery is solved.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:48 AM

Send a message via AIM to jdeday
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0
My starter was recently replaced. Before it died my car would crank over slowly to start. I thought it was the battery but the battery tested fine. The starter eventually failed, the car did not turn over, no clicking noise from the starter. I would guess your starter needs replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
2005 X3 3.0, Mystic Blue Metallic, Sand Beige Leather Interior, Birch Grain Light Wood Trim, Steptronic Transmission, Premium Package, Heated Seats, Privacy Glass, Satellite Radio Prep, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Heated Steering Wheel, Premium Sound, Power Folding Mirrors and NAVIGATION RETROFIT
Old 03-20-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdeday View Post
My starter was recently replaced. Before it died my car would crank over slowly to start. I thought it was the battery but the battery tested fine. The starter eventually failed, the car did not turn over, no clicking noise from the starter. I would guess your starter needs replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Think I am going to start with the starter. Thank you!

Old 03-20-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepo23 View Post
If your old man has a shop your set dude. Should be fairly easy with a lift.

Do yourself a favour, buy one of these - http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-INPA-EDI...3D301352241817

And download ISTA from this website, load it onto a laptop and say Bye Bye to the dealer.
Hey, Where do I find this ISTA program? Thanks!

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search