Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 10-25-2016, 10:19 AM

Mein Auto: X-3
New to BMW

I suppose my purchasing a BMW is a sign of maturity. Ive always owned muscle cars and american cars. I just got this X-3 and absolutely love it. Im sure eventually it will wear off but for now, Im still excited and really enjoy driving it. I got it in pristine condition inside and out but have my first issue. I got a CEL and it turned out to be misfire on 2 and 4. Whats amazing to me is the truck still drove on 4 cylinders. Got me home safely...very cool. At 65K miles, it was probably time for coils and plugs. I couldnt find any vacuum leaks and was getting no other codes. I found Bosch coils and plugs at Amazon alot cheaper than I thought. Ended up being around $150 which is far less than with my Jeep. Im actually one of those people who enjoy fixing minor to moderate issues myself and look forward to this little job. I couldnt believe how easy it was to access what I needed under the hood not to mention how solid it all felt. Such a difference between this and my past vehicles. THANK YOU for having such a robust site for enthusiasts....its going to be fun going through all these threads! Jake in florida
Advertisement
Old 10-25-2016, 01:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X3, 2003 M5
Welcome! What year is your X3?

Old 10-25-2016, 01:10 PM

Its older 2007...got it with 55k. I went to a lot looking at something completely different and just happened to notice it. After seeing how clean it was, I figured what the heck....might be different and fun.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:46 PM
///

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X3si
Nice man enjoy!
Old 10-27-2016, 02:31 PM

SO I went ahead and read up and found the Delphi (resdesigned ones?) were the better choice. A little more expensive but not by too much. I got the Bosch
plugs too for $7 each so Im looking forward to them showing up!
Old 10-28-2016, 01:25 PM

Interesting developments! How fun! Ok, first, I pulled the coils and they were mismatched. Then I pulled the plugs and sure enough, a mix of Bosh and autolite. The plug in cylinder 4 was burnt really bad. There was also a little oil on the plug. This mismatch concerns me because now I wonder if I was lied to at the dealerhsip when I was told it was services by BMW. Im guessing BMW doesnt use autolite plugs??? could be wrong. So I put it all back together and my stomach dropped when I started it because it still ran like ****. I went back in and checked everything. I seen on cylinder 4 that the connector clip just wouldnt seat all the way. I dont know what it is, but the "silver can" looking thing was in the way and there was zero room to get that clip on right. I push and messed with it and got it a little better. Went to start it and to my amazement, it ran smoother than its ever ran for me. I put a little seafoam in the gas and this truck runs like night and day. I was also hearing a little "tap" at the top so I put a little risoline in the crankcase...hope thats ok! It sounds so much better. This forum seriously just saved me a few hundred bucks!
Old 10-28-2016, 02:08 PM

One more thing...I feel like I have fiberglass in my hands. WTF? lol! Is there a part in our engines that has fiberglass in it that I didnt notice???
Also that little bit of oil on plugs 3 and 4 have me concerned. That would probably be a valve cover gasket and those gaskets around the plug sleeve thing right? Nothing to be overly concerned with????

thanks for any reply comments or whatever guys.
Old 10-31-2016, 06:16 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 E83; '86 442; 84 GMC
Oil on the plugs indicates a failed VC gasket and will cause a misfire if left long enough.

Can't think of any fiberglass in the area unless pack rats took up shop under the engine cover.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:26 AM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '02 M3, '91 E30
Welcome! And it doesn't wear off, we still love it after 8 years!

1991 E30 325ic, AW, Black Leather, Black top, Three Pedals.
Old 10-31-2016, 04:21 PM

I found out an old friend works for a BMW dealer. This might be helpful. Also, the VC videos here are top notch. No editing or silliness....I am impressed with what I watched. Even if I knew zero about cars, that video makes you feel confident about at least considering trying. I know nothing gos as planned but man that video really inspires! Another thing...I was going to get a code reader to turn the CEL off but after driving now for about 100 miles, it went out! How nice was that! I guess the coils and plugs did the trick. I will do the VC here over the next few months as the weather cools a bit so Im no sweating my ass off trying it. I have a front wheel bearing thats out in my Jeep but now I dont even want to touch it because the BMW was so easy to work on. Im not looking forward to breaking cheap part in the Jeep while trying to fix it and getting frustratingly off track by the unexpected. I am such a fan of this x-3 after such a short period of time. The only drawback so far really has been that the cops are targeting me in this truck more than in my Mustang...Ive already got a speeding ticket and I drive so much more reserved than I did in the Mustang.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search