Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 12-28-2014, 10:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 i3 & 2006 X3
Just joined the 100,000 miles club :-)

I now officially have never had a car with more miles than my 2006 X3

* Bought used in 2009 with 30k miles.
* new pads & rotors at 43k and 89k miles
* I did an oil change every 5k miles
* new front shocks at 50k miles
* new VTG actuator motor at 53k miles
* new A/C drive belt at 65k miles
* new control arm bushings at 95k miles
* complete fluid change (transmission, differentials, transfer case) at 95k miles

otherwise trouble free
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100k.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	483626  
Advertisement
Old 12-28-2014, 01:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMWX3
Nice. I am almost there. Bought a 2006 X3 CPO in 2009 as well. Currently have 92K on it. Aside from the "Terrible Triad" issue (fixed with the replacement gear cheap) and CCVV replacement, just normal maintenance.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:26 PM
Freshly Addicted

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
With the proper care they will make it to 250,000 easily.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to jdeday
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatzenbach View Post
I now officially have never had a car with more miles than my 2006 X3

* Bought used in 2009 with 30k miles.
* new pads & rotors at 43k and 89k miles
* I did an oil change every 5k miles
* new front shocks at 50k miles
* new VTG actuator motor at 53k miles
* new A/C drive belt at 65k miles
* new control arm bushings at 95k miles
* complete fluid change (transmission, differentials, transfer case) at 95k miles

otherwise trouble free
Congratulations! Looks like you are doing all the right things to keep her on the road. I currently have 139K on my 05 and recently had the drive shaft replaced due to extreme driveline vibration. Other than that it has been a great car to own.

Jeff
2005 X3 3.0, Mystic Blue Metallic, Sand Beige Leather Interior, Birch Grain Light Wood Trim, Steptronic Transmission, Premium Package, Heated Seats, Privacy Glass, Satellite Radio Prep, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Heated Steering Wheel, Premium Sound, Power Folding Mirrors and NAVIGATION RETROFIT
Old 01-12-2015, 12:27 PM

Mein Auto: 04 X3 3.0i
great, Im at 120,000miles now

btw I like the Hatzenbach Ive been there a couple of hours.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3.0i
I didn't see where the coolant was replaced.... Hopefully, that's been done as well.
Congratulations.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlex View Post
I didn't see where the coolant was replaced.... Hopefully, that's been done as well.
Congratulations.
Really? Why?
Anything else I should have done?
Old 01-13-2015, 02:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3, 2003 M5
It should be done every 2 years regardless of mileage. Other items to consider:

https://www.bavauto.com/Assets/inst_pages/e83mc.pdf

Old 01-13-2015, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Really? Why?
Anything else I should have done?
All that heat & pressure breaks down the protective qualities of the antifreeze. You want to prevent corrosion inside your radiator & water pump.

Also, when they did the brake job, did they flush the brake fluid and replace it with new or just top it off? Brake fluid is hygroscopic, meaning that it likes to absorb moisture. Once moisture is introduced to the brake system, it starts to corrode the brake cylinders and master cylinder. These are very expensive replacement items vs just replacing the fluid about every 3 years. When you flush the old, you can see how dirty/contaminated it looks compared to the new stuff which will convince you...
Old 01-13-2015, 06:41 AM

Mein Auto: 07 X3 6MT & 06 X5 4.8is
IIRC, Brake flush is recommended every 2 years regardless of mileage.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
+1 One of the big reasons for owning a BMW should be the braking performance, so you want to keep it up to spec.

I'm just coming up to 100K miles and can vouch that if you treat an X3 right you can avoid a lot of the problems talked about in this forum.

Maybe a bit of luck involved too, but so far have avoided the following issues: transfer case actuator, window dogs, intake boot, IACV, MAF, expansion tank, water pump, thermostat, starter motor, rear coil springs, washer pumps.

What has been done? Fluids, VCG, OFHG, drive belts, pulleys, spark plugs, brakes, and always 4 good tires.

Recent complimentary inspection at dealership confirms everything A+ including (surprisingly enough) the front suspension. But I don't doubt it could benefit from some freshening up soon.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:47 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3, 1997 Chevy truck,
Our 2006 - too good of a vehicle to trade in - just turned 100,000 miles and we bought it new. Last week I took it to an independent shop to check the cooling system for a leak. Pressure test located a small leak from the lower radiator hose which was replaced. While in the shop both differentials were serviced with new fluids (transmission and transfer case were serviced at 70k) and the X3 was inspected for any problems. Other than regular oil changes, brakes, tires, belts and belt tensioner the X3 has been great. This Spring it will have its plugs changed and a new valve cover gasket. In four weeks we will drive it to Florida - 2500 mile round trip.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlex View Post
All that heat & pressure breaks down the protective qualities of the antifreeze. You want to prevent corrosion inside your radiator & water pump.

Also, when they did the brake job, did they flush the brake fluid and replace it with new or just top it off? Brake fluid is hygroscopic, meaning that it likes to absorb moisture. Once moisture is introduced to the brake system, it starts to corrode the brake cylinders and master cylinder. These are very expensive replacement items vs just replacing the fluid about every 3 years. When you flush the old, you can see how dirty/contaminated it looks compared to the new stuff which will convince you...
Thanks will do the coolant flush

I always do the brakes myself and yes I flush the fluid completely every time I do the brakes (pads and rotors)
Old 01-13-2015, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaglik View Post
It should be done every 2 years regardless of mileage. Other items to consider:

https://www.bavauto.com/Assets/inst_pages/e83mc.pdf
Thanks, very helpful!
Old 01-14-2015, 06:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3 sport
120,000 miles on my 08
Replaced:

AC evaporator
Rear spring
Brakes front and rear
Front headlight level sensor
Oil changes
Thermostat
Valve cover gasket (thats leaking again...)
Transfer case acuator gear
Tires

Got a bulb out issue but can't figure out where
I'm hoping I can get to the 240k mark. With the job/financial situation being what it is, won't be able to afford another beeemer and probably end up driving a corolla... in beige
Old 01-14-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Thanks will do the coolant flush

I always do the brakes myself and yes I flush the fluid completely every time I do the brakes (pads and rotors)

Oh... and if you haven't dealt w/ it before, BMW's apparently need the BMW blue coolant. Don't throw the conventional green/yellow stuff in. Use distilled water 50/50 w/ the BMW blue to help reduce calcium/lime deposits. Bleeding the air out is a special procedure too; search the forum for the correct way to do it. You don't want to overfill and risk rupturing the holding tank.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:06 PM

Mein Auto: E60 N52
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdc8118 View Post
120,000 miles on my 08
Replaced:
Valve cover gasket (thats leaking again...)
:
Did you use victor reinz gasket? I just replaced mine with victor reinz (pelican parts) and after 8k miles see oil seeping through already, not terrible but was hoping not to see any oil for a long time, wondering if the quality of the gasket is the culprit.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3 sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by oraclesd View Post
Did you use victor reinz gasket? I just replaced mine with victor reinz (pelican parts) and after 8k miles see oil seeping through already, not terrible but was hoping not to see any oil for a long time, wondering if the quality of the gasket is the culprit.
It was made by Elring. I'm going to try a genuine BMW one next.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:40 AM

Mein Auto: E60 N52
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdc8118 View Post
It was made by Elring. I'm going to try a genuine BMW one next.
Yeah, BMW oem is probably the way to go. It's possible my install could the problem why I'm seeing some oil already but if I had to do it over again I would go with bmw brand through ECS or dealer. In tasks like these where 95% of the cost is labor, paying a little extra for good quality makes up for having to do it over again!

As a warning to those who find yourselves thinking bolts are lose, like a dummy I went and tightened one of the bolts and damn nearly it snapped it, hell it may be broken but I'm not touching it again until it's leaking bad, so the advice is, if you think the bolts are lose, loosen it first, then tighten it.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:13 AM

Did you use a torque wrench when tightening those bolts, and did you do it in a cross-ways pattern starting with the inside of the cover? Even pressure all 'round and not too tight will do the job. Too tight may have squashed the gasket. With these plastic covers, tighter is not necessarily better. They've also been known to break.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:07 PM

Mein Auto: 08 E83; '86 442; 84 GMC
In my experience, most problems with leaking valve cover gaskets soon after repair is due to improper installation, usually due to over-torquing. The torque is usually low, like 22 INCH-POUNDS or something like that (I can't recall the actual number, but I do remember it is inch pounds). I've never met a valve cover that didn't leak by 60k miles, so the new one will leak pretty quickly anyway if you drive a lot. Key things: ensure both mating surfaces are completely clean (be careful with a steel gasket scraper on the aluminum head, as any nick means a leak), use RTV on the hard corners up by the VANOS, ensure the aft part doesn't fall off the head and get pinched, don't forget center piece around the spark plug holes or the o-rings around the bolt heads, and NEVER overtorque! Just past finger tight is really all that is required; to tight, and the valve cover (really a rocker cover) warps, the space between the bolts bows upwards, the gasket leaks. I've had to literally beat old steal VCs back into shape after over-torquing.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:24 PM
Underachiever

Mein Auto: 328,Z3, X3
We just hit 100K with our 2004 X3. Ive done the usual stuff that fails on BMW's. The only unusual problem was a glitchy alternator that stumped the mechanic unless they drove for 45 mins which they did.
Awesome BMW, we hope to take many more trips with it.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search