Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 01-23-2015, 06:31 AM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: E39 540, E36 328is, E83x3
WTF bentley publishers

just ripped in to Bentley publishers, I bought the manual for the x3 on pre order @ 120 something $ then just sent me a email for a special discount about 40$ cheaper,

bottom line is you sell a book on pre order at 129$ then send a email for a special offer 84.50.....

which already makes me start to think that this manual is going suck

"Burning 2nd is a lot like vitamin tonic. Overly harsh, tastes like crap, but somewhere in all that there's good intent......just have to learn to read between the lines, actually you have to squint really hard to see the good, but its there somewhere"

15486372<-----
Advertisement
Old 01-23-2015, 07:21 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 X3.0si
Yah - I got one too. Sort of buy one at full price and your second one 35% off - but why would someone buy two, I dont know.
Hope its worth the price well see.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:13 PM
Under the lift arms

no... the email says buy this manual b4 the 31st and you get 30% off... I bought it a couple of months ago.. I should get the 30% off

or did i miss read it..?

"Burning 2nd is a lot like vitamin tonic. Overly harsh, tastes like crap, but somewhere in all that there's good intent......just have to learn to read between the lines, actually you have to squint really hard to see the good, but its there somewhere"

15486372<-----
Old 01-23-2015, 03:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3.0si
I looked on the Bentley website they still list it for $129.95, Amazon has it for 103.07 with free shipping. Are there any other discounts I'm not seeing?
Old 01-23-2015, 04:57 PM
Under the lift arms

i think the discount was for exsisting customers? ive bought 7 sets of books from them... This will be my 8th

15486372<-----
Old 01-23-2015, 05:52 PM
roys4x4

Mein Auto: 06 X3,95LR Disco,90 F250
Thumbs up the right stuff from Bently

if you didn't pre-order or request an email notice on Bentley's web site regarding the x3 manual's release, it's going to cost you an additional pocket-full of you hard earned cash. us folks here in the states that did, got the $84.74 price with free shipping and no sales tax.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3.0i
I'm supposed to be receiving one of these as a Christmas gift. Anyone know when they're going to be sent? Maybe the gift was for NEXT Christmas...
Old 01-24-2015, 05:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 X3
I did buy one of their manuals before but I noticed that even though I preorder the manual they charged my credit card for the lower price.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:00 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajd3rd View Post
I did buy one of their manuals before but I noticed that even though I preorder the manual they charged my credit card for the lower price.
same here.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3, 2003 M3
Glad I read this thread. The discount email had gotten filtered out from my priority inbox. I just paid for mine. Looking forward to getting it.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:05 AM

Mein Auto: X3 and 330
just one piece worth thousands

there will be moments when we read the manual when we are crushed from lack of info ! ....then elation and mega savings all round when we find another long buried nugget / repair clue ! .....just like all the fest savings from the man who put us on to the plastic transfer case actuator gear repair....priceless ......long live Bently and the quest for the perfect manual......wonder when they'll put a 3D one out ?????
Old 01-25-2015, 02:16 PM
DROZ3

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 / 2006 X3
Also got the rebate email then emailed Bentley to know if it applied on my $129.95 pre-order, they answered YES.

The 2 Bentley books I bought did not suck, don't think this one will.

Z3 2001 3.0L 5-speeds,Topaz Blue/Sport+Premium package/Stong-Strut/Bilstein shocks/Rogue Engineering RSM/Ireland Engineering rear sub-frame bushing/CDV delete/Conforti CAI/Jim Conforti Shark/DRL module/European Wiper Module/Pioneer AVIC-N4 GPS-Receiver+XM Radio+iPod/iPhone interface+Bluetooth+12CD Charger/ASA-AR1 18" wheels+Michelin PSS/Bi-Xenon upgrade.
Latest mod : 3.73 diff. ... WOW
X3 2006 3.0L Automatic, Silver Gray, all original ... so far ...
Old 01-26-2015, 05:23 AM
Under the lift arms

well thats why i kindda got snippy with them... because ive bought 7 sets of manuals directly from them over the years... i pre ordered this manual as soon as it was available and then i get the email a few days ago saying its now cheaper...

so i was pissed... they said they adjusted the price for me though.. I mean either way i need it at 128 just the same as 87

15486372<-----
Old 01-26-2015, 09:29 AM

Mein Auto: 07 X3 6MT
delete.

Last edited by VenkatV; 01-26-2015 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3.0i
Received my Bentley manual today via UPS. I wasn't expecting it to be hard back. Merry Christmas to me!
Old 01-26-2015, 07:44 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Mine will be here on Wednesday!
Old 01-27-2015, 05:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 X3
I've only spent a short time reading the manual but it lives up to the Bentley quality. It outlines repairs I've done already accurately with the possible shortcuts contrary to the BNW "approved" method. Definitely worth the money.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:59 PM

Mein Auto: Toyota Corolla
Hello, I'm glad that folks are getting the manual, especially as we were hit pretty hard by this week's blizzard. For what it's worth, if anyone has any questions about what's covered in the book, feel free to post them here and I can either try to answer them or check in with the project editors a few desks over from me.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice [B] View Post
Hello, I'm glad that folks are getting the manual, especially as we were hit pretty hard by this week's blizzard. For what it's worth, if anyone has any questions about what's covered in the book, feel free to post them here and I can either try to answer them or check in with the project editors a few desks over from me.
i just received the book and have been flipping through the pages a few times. do you know which section(s) of the book deal with the motor mounts?
Old 01-30-2015, 07:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3 3.0iA
PM me for a reason why you bought it for $129 and didn't get it for $85

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-02-2015, 12:12 PM

Mein Auto: Toyota Corolla
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorp1on View Post
i just received the book and have been flipping through the pages a few times. do you know which section(s) of the book deal with the motor mounts?
Hello Skorp1on. I've checked in with the editors. There isn't a dedicated section for motor mounts, however it is something that we're seriously considering writing as a supplemental procedure article on our X3 Technical Library page here: https://wiki.bentleypublishers.com/x/AgDQBg When we do one of our tech articles or videos, it will be available for free online right at that link.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice [B] View Post
Hello Skorp1on. I've checked in with the editors. There isn't a dedicated section for motor mounts, however it is something that we're seriously considering writing as a supplemental procedure article on our X3 Technical Library page here: https://wiki.bentleypublishers.com/x/AgDQBg When we do one of our tech articles or videos, it will be available for free online right at that link.
thanks Maurice [B], that would be extremely helpful. I was specifically looking to see how to get to the motor mounts because my local bmw dealer previously told me that nearly all the aluminum bolt on the passenger side mounts have broke off or are about to break off. But when I look at the mounts myself, the aluminum bolts are still in tact. since i already have the bolts, i was thinking to replace them just for the peace of mind.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:34 PM
Under the lift arms

i DONT think the motor mounts need to be disgusted any further, The m52 and m54 have been in service for almost 20 years now, the N variation is no different as far as mounts go

15486372<-----
Old 02-03-2015, 06:35 AM

Mein Auto: 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorp1on View Post
Hello Skorp1on,

Motor mounts are not normally a separate procedure, but knowing that these mounts do fail regularly, maybe a separate procedure is in now order. Appreciate the question / feedback.

I put together a brief overview here.

The mounts are best removed from below once the weight of the engine is supported from above. Be sure to replace aluminum fasteners and the self locking nuts as part of the job.

Let me know if you have any more questions. I hope you enjoy your new Bentley manual.

-Charlie Burke
Old 02-03-2015, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
Hello Skorp1on,

Motor mounts are not normally a separate procedure, but knowing that these mounts do fail regularly, maybe a separate procedure is in now order. Appreciate the question / feedback.

I put together a brief overview here.

The mounts are best removed from below once the weight of the engine is supported from above. Be sure to replace aluminum fasteners and the self locking nuts as part of the job.

Let me know if you have any more questions. I hope you enjoy your new Bentley manual.

-Charlie Burke
thanks charlie.

the X3 is my first bmw; and while i've worked previously with Nissan/Toyota FSM, Chilton, and Haynes, this is my first time to purchase and use Bentley repair manual. compared to Chilton and Haynes, I very much liked how the Bentley manual has been put together. the comment about engine mounts sort of just jumped out at me, not so far much as there not being a dedicated section to address how to change them out but, but when I looked at Section 100 dealing with Engine Removal and Installation, it only dealt with the M54 engine. Since my 08 has the N52 engine, it got me wondering whether there should be separate section like section 100, but dealing with N52 engine.

anyways, thanks for all your feedback and replies.