Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 04-16-2015, 09:47 AM

Mein Auto: X3 E83
Question Overheating in Traffic, it's Fan of Fan switch???

Hi all, I'm new here but already love it a lot!
I got a 2004 X3 E83, it was fine when the weather was cool earlier, but yesterday weather getting warm and when I stuck in traffic, the engine started overheating. But when I get out of traffic and speed up, the overheat gone. I think it might be the electric radiator cooling fan problem. When I got home I did some test. idle and turn on the AC for a while, it start to overheat, and the fan didn't run at all. I thought the Fan must be died, I started checking replacement online. But these morning, when I start the car with the AC on, surprisingly the radiator fan started running with full speed for like 10 seconds and stopped. Seems the fan motor works well. Now I start to think about is any bad temperature sensor cause the fan did not detect the heat and not running? Is it the fan switch?

I'm driving to work today, It's like 70 outside, without traffic, no overheat. But it must be something wrong about the cooling! Please give me some help~

Thank you!
Advertisement
Old 04-16-2015, 01:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 3.0i
Air in the cooling system?
Old 04-16-2015, 01:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
You are on the right track.

Two things trigger the rad. fan - the A/C and the coolant temp. sensor in the lower rad hose.

It is normal for the fan to cycle on briefly upon start up with A/C running. Not exactly sure why. Just initializing things I guess.

The fan motor itself could still be the problem - that is, when triggered to run, the variable speed motor sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.

But the coolant temp. sensor would be a good place to start a process of elimination. Look down on the l.h.s. of the rad and find the hose with a sensor in it.

If it looks like it leaks a bit there, you may as well pull the sensor, test it in the kitchen, and even if it is good you can look into replacing the bad o-ring.

Then next step you would need a scan tool to get some clue as to what in the control circuit is not working.

I think the fan "switch" is integrated into the fan housing so not too easy to troubleshoot without some diagnostics.

Does the heater work well? That can provide a clue on low coolant level or air in the system.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercourse View Post

Two things trigger the rad. fan - the A/C and the coolant temp. sensor in the lower rad hose.

It is normal for the fan to cycle on briefly upon start up with A/C running. Not exactly sure why. Just initializing things I guess.

The fan motor itself could still be the problem - that is, when triggered to run, the variable speed motor sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.

But the coolant temp. sensor would be a good place to start a process of elimination. Look down on the l.h.s. of the rad and find the hose with a sensor in it.

If it looks like it leaks a bit there, you may as well pull the sensor, test it in the kitchen, and even if it is good you can look into replacing the bad o-ring.

Then next step you would need a scan tool to get some clue as to what in the control circuit is not working.

I think the fan "switch" is integrated into the fan housing so not too easy to troubleshoot without some diagnostics.

Does the heater work well? That can provide a clue on low coolant level or air in the system.

Thank you so much for replying!

Is this the sensor you r talking about?
part#13621433077
http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E8...m_water_hoses/

Seems the heater works ok.

I'm going to check the sensor first.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercourse View Post

OK. Just checked it and the sensor is leaking, I can see the wet down there. but I have no idea how the pull that thing out! there is a wire lock on it?
Old 04-16-2015, 08:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Pull wire clip horizontally to unlock electrical connector.

Then squeeze plastic tabs either side of sensor and pull it firmly out.

See: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=385920