Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X6 E71 / E72 (2008 - 2014)

X6 E71 / E72 (2008 - 2014)
The BMW X6 luxury crossover went on sale in April 2008 as a 2009 model year. BMW referes to the X6 as a Sports Activity Coupe (SAC) as it combines the attributes of an SUV (high ground clearance, xDrive and all-weather ability) with the stance, styling and roof line shape of a coupe. The E71 X6 was built off the E70 X5 (2007 - 2013) platform at BMW's Spartanburg, SC plant. Total worldwide sales were just over 235,000, sold mostly to the BRIC countries. US total sales was 34,082 vehicles.

Old 06-15-2008, 12:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E46-E92 M3s,997TT,997C4S
X6 wow...

what a disappoint when I saw it in person when I took in my M3 for oil change service.

Whoever said it looked like a new version of the AMG Eagle is dead on.

What is BMW thinkin? Seriously, BMW thinks there is a market for an unpractical 'sport' SUV??? WTF

I'll be embarrass for the owner who is seen on the road with that thing...

I'll take a X5 over the X6 any day...better yet, give me a 328Xit or 535Xit.
Advertisement
Old 06-15-2008, 12:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_12345 View Post
what a disappoint when I saw it in person when I took in my M3 for oil change service.

What is BMW thinkin? Seriously, BMW thinks there is a market for an unpractical 'sport' SUV??? WTF

The X6 was never intended to address seating capacity or cargo space.It was targeted to people who need more room than a sedan can deliver and some useful storage area and a very sporty driving experience.A sedan simply does not work for my lifestyle...I work from my car and need elbow room...not necessarily more seats.I need a reasonable amount of storage area which the X6 delivers.I'm in the commercial real estate business and occasionally need to do minor offroading..not rockcrawling.I sedan simply cannot do that.I considered an X5 before my X3 purchase...the X5 is simply to "Trucky" for me,as are most traditional SUV's.I want and need the utility of an SUV and the Sporty driving dynamics and looks of a Sport Sedan. The X6 allows me to avoid owning two or more auto's (and save gas and money)....a weekend "fun" car ( X6 is pulling .90g's on the skidpad),sporty enough for me and just about equal storage area to my X3 and twice or more the storage area of just about all Sport Sedans,more than enough utility for me.The X6 will address the needs of many individuals who like the utility of SUV's and want the looks and driving experience of a sedan...the X6 delivers on all counts.Thanks. PalBay
PalBay
Old 06-15-2008, 09:15 AM

Mein Auto: E90 330i
Quote:

Different stroke for different folks. I guess I am one of the few that find it more practical than an M3.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chonko View Post
Different stroke for different folks. I guess I am one of the few that find it more practical than an M3.
+++1! Thanks.PalBay
Old 06-15-2008, 09:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 M6 GC CP
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalBay View Post
The X6 was never intended to address seating capacity or cargo space.It was targeted to people who need more room than a sedan can deliver and some useful storage area and a very sporty driving experience.A sedan simply does not work for my lifestyle...I work from my car and need elbow room...not necessarily more seats.I need a reasonable amount of storage area which the X6 delivers.I'm in the commercial real estate business and occasionally need to do minor offroading..not rockcrawling.I sedan simply cannot do that.I considered an X5 before my X3 purchase...the X5 is simply to "Trucky" for me,as are most traditional SUV's.I want and need the utility of an SUV and the Sporty driving dynamics and looks of a Sport Sedan. The X6 allows me to avoid owning two or more auto's (and save gas and money)....a weekend "fun" car ( X6 is pulling .90g's on the skidpad),sporty enough for me and just about equal storage area to my X3 and twice or more the storage area of just about all Sport Sedans,more than enough utility for me.The X6 will address the needs of many individuals who like the utility of SUV's and want the looks and driving experience of a sedan...the X6 delivers on all counts.Thanks. PalBay
PalBay
I am with you all the way Palbay,

mine is on order and I agree with your call on the car, people need to drive it over some distance to realise "just" how good the car is.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:10 AM
Family Man

Mein Auto: '09 M3 Coupe
+1 on the "not truck"

My wife wants 2 AWD vehicles for next winter. We chose her 328xiT because it was a sporty and capable "not SUV" now I'm thinking "not truck" sporty SUV for our next AWD vehicle.

All this SAV/SAC crap has infiltrated my brain. I'm owned by BMW marketeers.
Old 06-21-2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:
PalBay

Ok, congrats!!

Wow, I've read your same response in about 30 different threads.

"Not truck"??? Seriously, so you're going to go buy a fruit mobile?

I'm glad you convinced yourself that the X6 is for you.

I saw the X6 in person and you are definitely buying a $60K+ AMG Eagle station wagon.

Last edited by mark_12345; 06-21-2008 at 06:41 PM.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:18 PM

Thread 31-German Car Zone

Quote:
Ok, congrats!!

I saw the X6 in person and you are definitely buying a $60K+ AMG Eagle station wagon.
These "Auto Journalist" and some Forum Members just don't get it.... I've followed the development of the X6 from it's very earliest days. From the time my neighbor returned from Munich 3.5 years ago ( he is a Dept Mgr at the Plant here in SC) and described the clay prototype he had viewed,I've been a huge fan of the concept.The X6 was never aimed at the traditional "SUV" buyer in the first place.It was aimed at Sports Car Enthusiast who need more room and don't necessarily want to own two cars to get their "performance driving thrills".The comparsion to the X5 was never the correct comparison.The only correct comparsion to the X5 is that they share the same platform....that's it between the X5 and X6.I considered an X5 before I decided on my X3.Had not the X3 been available...I would have left the brand...the X5 is just to "Trucky" for me and sedans are to "small" for my lifestyle.These "Auto Journalist" and some Forum Members fall into the "Traditionalist-Elitist" camp,people who still cling to the belief that BMW and for that matter all performance car companies should build only " Sporty Sedans". Those days are gone forever......i.e. Porshe.To survive in the Global Economy car companies must build what people want.I have as much of a right to drive a very sporty high performance X6 as somebody else has a right to drive an M3.Unfortunately, because they all wear blinders,a lot of Auto Enthusiast and BMW Forum Members will never "get" the concept behind the X6.Thanks! PalBay
Old 06-21-2008, 10:30 PM

Thread 32-xBimmers

Quote:
Ok, congrats!!

Have you driven the X6 ? Hey guys logged some serious miles in an X6 yesterday!!!The local dealership found a VR w/ Sport Package after selling what was suppose to be their demo X6 w/ Sport Package the day it arrived!I was able to drive the car about 2 hrs around town and on some pretty neat switchbacks I know about!The interior was Black Nevada Leather.Very nice! I'm just not a black interior person.To hot in the summer for me.The car had Premium Pckg,Pemium Sound,Rear Climate,Techno Pckg,Rear View Camera,20" Y Wheels. I won't belabor the interior since I've spent quite a bit of time sitting in an X6 prior to driving one and mentioned my thoughts in previous post.The X6 did have the 20 way Comfort Seats....very very nice!Once behind the wheel I drove mostly in city traffic first.Coming out of my X3 you definitely sense the higher ride height of the X6.Not a problem for me since that is something I'm looking for.Rear and side visibility is not smashing.Even w/ the large side view mirrors I found myself checking and rechecking several times before making lane changes.I guess the side visibility is not that much worst than most full size SUV's.The rear quarterpanel blind spots are a real issue.The ole fast glance over the shoulder just won't cut it in the X6. All the driver controls seemed well placed and easy to reach.The shift paddles seemed to work fine.Whether the shift paddles are quicker than than the console mounted shifter is hard for me to say.I used both but just could not tell much difference in shifting speed or quality of the shifts given my limited driving time.The paddles are easier to use IMO. I know I will catch some grief about this...but....I did notice turbo lag in the TTI6 engine.The lag is almost inperceptable,but its there.It's a very ,very slight hesitation when you hammer the gas,but I did feel the lag.Probably not a problem to most people who will buy the X6.Speaking of the engine,I do love the exhaust note from inside the car.You can tell you are driving a sporty car ,but it's not so loud that you can't carry on a conversation or hear the radio.It was very windy yesterday and I did hear some wind noise from around the side view mirrors.I think it was more the windy day today (40 MPH gust) vs any design issue w/ the side view mirrors. The brakes on this particular X6 have a longer brake petal than I was accustomed to based on my X3.The X6 stopped fine.....I just had to push harder than w/ my X3.I know the X6 is heavier and maybe that was the difference that I felt.This X6 had the standard steering and not active steering.The steering felt fine to me.Weighted just right for the interstate and not to bad at low speed when you turn around in a parking lot or driveway. The TTI6 had plenty of power entering traffic from a side street or jumping on the interstate.The TTI6 IMO is plenty of power for the X6.I never felt like the car was going to bog or wallow ( notwithstanding the slight turbo lag ) i.e. the car is not underpowered for it's size and weight. The X6 is AMAZING on the switchbacks!!!We hit it hard enough to feel the DPC kick in and Active Roll Stabilization do it's job.The DPC sensation is unlike anything I've felt in an Electronic Stability Control car when those systems engage.The ESC in most cars kills power and/or brakes certain wheels when it senses you are over or understeering.The DPC over rotates the outside rear wheel in a curve and causes the front of the car to point back into the curve.The first thing you notice about DPC is that you never really sense a slowdown in the curve.Because DPC does not brake or kill power you don't sense a lost of speed in the corners. The feeling of not slowing down in a curve is a little scary until you get use to the sensation!!!!The best way I can describe DPC is that it feels like a giant hand grabs the top of the X6 and rotates the car around it's center axis's.You stay in the gas and this giant hand rotates you right around the corner.Weird feeling...but it works!!! This post is long enough.My drive only reinforced my belief that this car will be my next ride.It's a great vehicle for certain people who need some room,driving dynamics and sports car looks.If I forgot something I'll make additional post. Thanks! PalBay Try it you might like it..... Alot of M3 owners are trading for an X6
Old 06-21-2008, 11:49 PM

ok you convinced me...I'm trading in my M3, er my 997 Turbo for the X6
Old 06-22-2008, 12:12 AM

Mein Auto: X5 4.4i
Quote:
ok you convinced me...I'm trading in my M3, er my 997 Turbo for the X6
ur a frikin genius
Old 07-10-2008, 11:08 PM

Mein Auto: 07 x3
thats funny because when i took my x3 in for service - i saw a big butted x6 and was like "wow, looks much better in person". Wife was like "what is that - i like it". I had an eagle and if any modern car resembles it - its an audi allroad quattro. The x6 is a very polarizing design which is cool to me. There has been this trend where all cars look alike. Hyundai --> mercedes --> vw --> toyota - the design language has been to convergent. Give bmw some props for making something of a genre buster. If you think it looks like barf dont buy it. But if you are coming from 335 or m3 and need a suv for some reason. The x5 is not going to give you anything close to that sport sedan experience - the x6 will get you closer.

Last edited by pdxgrease; 07-10-2008 at 11:16 PM.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxgrease View Post
thats funny because when i took my x3 in for service - i saw a big butted x6 and was like "wow, looks much better in person". Wife was like "what is that - i like it". I had an eagle and if any modern car resembles it - its an audi allroad quattro. The x6 is a very polarizing design which is cool to me. There has been this trend where all cars look alike. Hyundai --> mercedes --> vw --> toyota - the design language has been to convergent. Give bmw some props for making something of a genre buster. If you think it looks like barf dont buy it. But if you are coming from 335 or m3 and need a suv for some reason. The x5 is not going to give you anything close to that sport sedan experience - the x6 will get you closer.
++++1!!!! Thanks. PalBay
Old 07-11-2008, 12:12 AM
Need a Toyota?

Mein Auto: Prius 5
Quote:
To survive in the Global Economy car companies must build what people want.
I'm pretty sure that 3 or 4 years ago when this concept moved towards production, premium unleaded costing $5 /gallon wasn't in their prediction. I love the X5, and have seen the X6 in person last week. That thing is HUGE looking. I didn't get any further than looking at it as I walked by.

Quote:
Try it you might like it..... Alot of M3 owners are trading for an X6
You're kidding, right?
Old 07-11-2008, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjwheeling View Post
I'm pretty sure that 3 or 4 years ago when this concept moved towards production, premium unleaded costing $5 /gallon wasn't in their prediction. I love the X5, and have seen the X6 in person last week. That thing is HUGE looking. I didn't get any further than looking at it as I walked by.

You're kidding, right?
Not at all.Research in depth most X6 forums and you'll find more than a handful of M3 drivers who are trading for X6's.Than need more room than a sedan can deliver (maybe have family's now w/ more stuff to carry) .....but do not want to give up the high performance driving experience that the X6 can deliver.A sedan can only deliver so much utility.The X6 delivers sedan looks and performance (.98g's on the skidpad ) w/ twice the useful room of any sedan.Thanks PalBay
Old 07-17-2008, 10:35 AM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
Quote:
Not at all.Research in depth most X6 forums and you'll find more than a handful of M3 drivers who are trading for X6's.
If introducing the X6 results in more M3's becoming available, maybe there is a silver lining after all.

Or maybe I should just get me some of that stuff you're smoking.

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 07-17-2008, 10:46 AM
Need a Toyota?

Mein Auto: Prius 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
if introducing the x6 results in more m3's becoming available, maybe there is a silver lining after all.

Or maybe i should just get me some of that stuff you're smoking.
+1
Old 07-17-2008, 06:39 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 E39 Touring
funny about the X6. I live a block from a BMW dealer in Miami. The first time I saw the car I was like "oh ****!! i gotta have one of those!" I think its one of the best looking "new" cars on the road. It depends on how other auto makers move their design to determine if it will one day appear classic looking. BUT let me say that i happen to think the Range Rover HSE is very nice looking because its boxy etc.
I won't get an X6 yet. I like my 99 5 wagon for now. I do like the appeal of the bridge between the X5 and X3.
They should have given it a different Preface letter though.

Congrats to those who bought one. Because my impulse was LOVE for the design etc. Its a beautiful car in my eyes

best of luck with it and update us on how it goes
Old 07-18-2008, 12:48 PM

Mein Auto: X6 3.5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Est1974 View Post
funny about the X6. I live a block from a BMW dealer in Miami. The first time I saw the car I was like "oh ****!! i gotta have one of those!" I think its one of the best looking "new" cars on the road. It depends on how other auto makers move their design to determine if it will one day appear classic looking. BUT let me say that i happen to think the Range Rover HSE is very nice looking because its boxy etc.
I won't get an X6 yet. I like my 99 5 wagon for now. I do like the appeal of the bridge between the X5 and X3.
They should have given it a different Preface letter though.

Congrats to those who bought one. Because my impulse was LOVE for the design etc. Its a beautiful car in my eyes

best of luck with it and update us on how it goes
Agree!
But the look is one thing... Had mine for a month now and all i can say is WOW!
I have had a lot of new cars but nothing compares to the X6.
Every where you go people give you thumb up, start talking to you an honest tell you that the car look sooo good.
Kids, girls ladies young man, old man...Common comment is...-I must just say it - your car look so nice.
But as i say, thats one part of it, the best part is how the car act on road!
Got an 535 and -05 x5 4,4...I like them both, but they dont handel like the X6.
The adaptive drive, DSC and the twin turbo diesel makes this car sooo perfect!

Last edited by Daniel B; 07-18-2008 at 12:52 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel B View Post
Agree!
But the look is one thing... Had mine for a month now and all i can say is WOW!
I have had a lot of new cars but nothing compares to the X6.
Every where you go people give you thumb up, start talking to you an honest tell you that the car look sooo good.
Kids, girls ladies young man, old man...Common comment is...-I must just say it - your car look so nice.
But as i say, thats one part of it, the best part is how the car act on road!
Got an 535 and -05 x5 4,4...I like them both, but they dont handel like the X6.
The adaptive drive, DSC and the twin turbo diesel makes this car sooo perfect!

I find it hard to believe that 535 doesn't handle as well as the X6.

IMO if you need the space and power, a 5 series wagon will do the job (make it M5 if needed). X6 is mainly for the ride height. DPC will probably be available for the rest of the BMW models soon.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMQ View Post
I find it hard to believe that 535 doesn't handle as well as the X6.

IMO if you need the space and power, a 5 series wagon will do the job (make it M5 if needed). X6 is mainly for the ride height. DPC will probably be available for the rest of the BMW models soon.
Perhaps in the XI models. But at the expense of weight and MPG. In which case you might be better off with an X5/6 especially if you are going to do any towing, roof racks, etc. .

For many, wagons and minivans are a big turn off.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:20 PM
(Insert one liner here)

Mein Auto: Tha 'Runner
I just wanna say I think the x6 is cool and fits a nice niche, I wish my mom had one instead of the fruity lil suv that she has, then I wouldnt mind sayin, "yeah thats my moms car, badass, eh?" lol

Nunquam non paratus
Old 10-13-2008, 09:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X6 2008 M5 2004 M3
Quote:
Have you driven the X6 ?Alot of M3 owners are trading for an X6
I have owned two X5's and wasn't sure about this car until I drove it this past weekend. Now I own it

Dinan S3
Old 10-14-2008, 06:22 AM
(<OO \(|||)*(|||)/ OO>)

Send a message via MSN to NON 650
Mein Auto: 645ci C
Quote:
Originally Posted by big-tex View Post
x6, nice vehicle/classy/sporty/roomy/suv that handles like a SPORT utility vehicle.

escalade, does your smile look like you chewin' on aluminum foil? Class? lol, roomy... yes, a lil over board. suv that handles like a ocean liner.

lol, just my humble opinion.
I swear the Escalade or any GM's truck or SUV , handle like a yachttt LOL try to test drive a yacht insted of testing Escalade

My Denali went total lost last week !! long long story ! but those cars=trash ! and you can't compare any GM car to any Bmw or any German car ! IMO Japanese are much better than GM too

Old 10-19-2008, 06:30 AM

Mein Auto: 08 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
If introducing the X6 results in more M3's becoming available, maybe there is a silver lining after all.

Or maybe I should just get me some of that stuff you're smoking.
+2 I'm going to run out and trade in my M3 for a SUV ralmao....

Sold:
330i Titanium, Manual, Black Leather, Heated Seats, Aluminum Trim, Sport Package

ED Oct 2005
Redelivery 12-2-2005