Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X6 E71 / E72 (2008 - current)

X6 E71 / E72 (2008 - current)
The newest sport activity vehicle from BMW is a crossover-coupe style and is expected to appear sometime in 2008!

Old 12-01-2008, 05:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 00 E39
I have had my X6 35d for a few weeks now. I love the styling, as it does not blend in to every other car out there, they all look the same! 9 times out of 10 if it were not for the badges or a good close up look you would not know what car what made by what manufacturer. At least the bmw range look a little different and the X6 is unique.

You need to drive one to understand just how good this car is.

My wife prefers tall cars so we normally get a normal SUV, but I got her to test drive a new X6 and she loved it. Compared to the X5 it is like apples and oranges, even though they are both based on the same underpinnings they are completely different. The X5 feels much bigger, more relaxed and slower. It does not have the same sporty feel of the X6, and I doubt adding DPC with make it feel like an X6 either. So we had a choice between the X5 and X6, X5 has a little more room and 1 extra seat, since I don't need either of these the X6 was the clear winner.

Just my 2 cents anyway.

2008 535D M Sport, Azurite Black with Light Cream leather and Piano Black trim. Almost all options.

2008 X6 35d, Vermillion Red with Oyster leather with light wood trim. Dynamic pack with most options.

Retired

2006 Z4 M Roadster, Imola Red with Black interior. Fully loaded.

2005 X5 Sport, Estoril Blue with Black leather. Fully loaded.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:11 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: car
The X6 was never aimed at the traditional "SUV" buyer in the first place.It was aimed at Sports Car Enthusiast who need more room and don't necessarily want to own two cars to get their "performance driving thrills".
Old 03-05-2009, 07:08 AM
Travel Fever

Mein Auto: 550 GT
I can see some criticisms are coming from traditional view. Like Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear, saying SUV front and coupe rear. I disagree with him. I saw the car several times up front and drove one. I like it. You need to embrace and understand the spirit of crossover design to like it. If you see it as SUV and your SUV is always a big boxy one, then you would never like it. I am sure some people like Toyota Venza and some don't. Likewise to Benz GLK. These 2 are SUV/Sedean crossover. X6 happens to be SUV/Coupe crossover.

MJ10 550 GT - Imperial Blue
MJ07 530i - Silver Grey (Sold)
Old 03-05-2009, 07:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpite View Post
The X6 was never aimed at the traditional "SUV" buyer in the first place.It was aimed at Sports Car Enthusiast who need more room and don't necessarily want to own two cars to get their "performance driving thrills".
Well said. I remember when folks were complaing about BMW having few choices in the 1980's. Now consumers have a lot of choices and folks still complain.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:22 AM
The Russian Rocket

Mein Auto: 2008 E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbrandon View Post
Well said. I remember when folks were complaing about BMW having few choices in the 1980's. Now consumers have a lot of choices and folks still complain.
+1
People will always find something to complain about
Cant please everyone

2012 X6M AW/Silverstone II Full Leather/Driver Assistance/HUD/Active ventilated seat/Rear Climate/Cold Weather/Premium Sound/BMW Apps/Soft Close/Side-top-rear Cams/Comfort Seats/3 Seats/Keyless
Old 03-06-2009, 05:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 530xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_12345 View Post
What is BMW thinkin? Seriously, BMW thinks there is a market for an unpractical 'sport' SUV??? WTF
BMW needed an answer to a very popular Infiniti FX. There is money to be made in this market. FX, X6 and related are "SUV for those who hate SUVs"
Old 03-06-2009, 07:57 PM

Mein Auto: E90 330i
I have had my X6 50i for a week now and I am loving every minute of it.
I would have gone with an M3 but found the X6 to be practical for my needs, so yes it is a niche vehicle. Certainly for people that want performance and that flexibility of space and ride height as well.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:48 AM

Mein Auto: X6 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpite View Post
Couldn't have been said better. This is the exact reason I bought my X6. I originally had an M3 on order and canceled it because we have a 7 month old at home and the X6 is a lot more practical for us and easier to get baby in and out without sacrificing that much performance.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:06 AM
Dreaming about Sunny Days

Mein Auto: 07 Z4 3.0 si
Interesting comments....

When in the dealer buying our Z4 a few weeks ago, I saw the X6 for the first time. Wife had to wipe the drool off my chin.

Personally, I think it's one of the best looking vehicles I have EVER seen.

Guess it's a good thing we all have different opinions about what looks good. Remember, there's somebody out there that thought the Pacer was a beautiful car, and that the Gremlin was sexy!

07 3.0 Si, Sport, Premium, Jet Black with Dream Red Interior
Old 03-12-2009, 09:13 AM

Mein Auto: E90 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Engineer View Post
Interesting comments....

When in the dealer buying our Z4 a few weeks ago, I saw the X6 for the first time. Wife had to wipe the drool off my chin.

Personally, I think it's one of the best looking vehicles I have EVER seen.

Guess it's a good thing we all have different opinions about what looks good. Remember, there's somebody out there that thought the Pacer was a beautiful car, and that the Gremlin was sexy!
I have come to realise that some people dislike the X6 just because they have nothing to say. Quite frankly I have recieved more compliments on my X6 than I have had with any other car.
It is indeed one of the finest BMWs ever made in my opinion.

Last edited by chonko; 03-16-2009 at 08:16 AM.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 730d, SL 55 AMG
For those wanting the performance of the M3 while having more space, I think the X6 is a good choice, however, you should also consider the 7 Series. For Example a 2004 760LI , looks great, handles great, very fast great performance, plenty of room
Old 03-16-2009, 05:10 AM

Mein Auto: 08 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 730dMaster View Post
For those wanting the performance of the M3 while having more space, I think the X6 is a good choice, however, you should also consider the 7 Series. For Example a 2004 760LI , looks great, handles great, very fast great performance, plenty of room
Not sure I would lump the X6 and M3 together.... sure they're similar but so are bmw's for that matter

Sold:
330i Titanium, Manual, Black Leather, Heated Seats, Aluminum Trim, Sport Package

ED Oct 2005
Redelivery 12-2-2005