Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-15-2008, 10:47 PM
DIV DIV is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: WA state
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 117
Mein Auto: 2005 645 CI
645 vs. 650

Now I'm in no way trying to justify my budget and my getting a used 645, but for me, somehow I prefer 645's over 650's.I know 650's have more power, and better features, but still...maybe there's something special about the 645 as it was only around for 2 years and the 650 is in it's 3rd year and still going strong (isn't it?). When I see another 645 around I kind of think "ah, another classic!"

Last edited by DIV; 06-15-2008 at 10:48 PM. Reason: icon misplaced
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 06-16-2008, 04:25 AM
Leslierc's Avatar
Leslierc Leslierc is offline
Sejanus
Location: Silver Spring, Maryland - USA
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,375
Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIV View Post
Now I'm in no way trying to justify my budget and my getting a used 645, but for me, somehow I prefer 645's over 650's.I know 650's have more power, and better features, but still...maybe there's something special about the 645 as it was only around for 2 years and the 650 is in it's 3rd year and still going strong (isn't it?). When I see another 645 around I kind of think "ah, another classic!"
A fair statement. Have you actually driven a 650, or are you just speculating on the differences between it and the 645?

Both are very good cars in my opinion. I traded-in an `05 CPO 645 convertible for my `07 650. Aside from certain amenities, such as comfort access and updated software on the iDrive, the only real difference I have been able to perceive is horsepower.
__________________
2013 Porsche Carrera 4
2011 Panamera 4S; 2012 Mini CooperS convertible;
Prior BMWs: `05 645CiC; `07 650i; `08 M6 convertible; '08 135i; `11 750ix MSport

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-16-2008, 04:27 AM
RixSix RixSix is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Hampshire
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 540
Mein Auto: BMW 650 /BMW X5
I think it's too early to call a 645 a "classic" just yet. In my opinion. If you like the 645 you should go for it. To me both are the same car. Just different features.

My $.02
__________________


2008 650 CIC Blk/Cream pearl/6spd Manual/Sport/sat/HUD/Cold/Comfort/Prem Sound!!
2002 X5 3.0 Blk/Gray/Sport (current)
2001 330i Blk/Tan/premium (Gone for 650 CIC)
2000 M Roadster Silver/black/19 in Hamman/Dinan upgrades (Sold)
1999 528i Blk/Tan/Sport (Gone for X5)
1996 328is Blk/Tan/Sport (Gone for 528i)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-16-2008, 08:33 AM
DIV DIV is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: WA state
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 117
Mein Auto: 2005 645 CI
Yeah, maybe not a "classic" yet. I don't know I just get a fuzzier feeling when I see a 645 than when I see a 650. And no, I haven't driven a 650 yet. I never even drove a 645 until after I bought it and had it shipped to me!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-16-2008, 08:35 AM
RixSix RixSix is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Hampshire
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 540
Mein Auto: BMW 650 /BMW X5
You must have good eyes. It takes me forever to even distinguish the e63 from the e64. Glad your digging your 645. Wait, do you have the car yet?
__________________


2008 650 CIC Blk/Cream pearl/6spd Manual/Sport/sat/HUD/Cold/Comfort/Prem Sound!!
2002 X5 3.0 Blk/Gray/Sport (current)
2001 330i Blk/Tan/premium (Gone for 650 CIC)
2000 M Roadster Silver/black/19 in Hamman/Dinan upgrades (Sold)
1999 528i Blk/Tan/Sport (Gone for X5)
1996 328is Blk/Tan/Sport (Gone for 528i)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-16-2008, 08:55 AM
Leslierc's Avatar
Leslierc Leslierc is offline
Sejanus
Location: Silver Spring, Maryland - USA
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,375
Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
Quote:
Originally Posted by RixSix View Post
You must have good eyes. It takes me forever to even distinguish the e63 from the e64.
+1! I have to be close enough to see the badging to tell the difference.
__________________
2013 Porsche Carrera 4
2011 Panamera 4S; 2012 Mini CooperS convertible;
Prior BMWs: `05 645CiC; `07 650i; `08 M6 convertible; '08 135i; `11 750ix MSport

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-16-2008, 09:06 AM
laddcruzer's Avatar
laddcruzer laddcruzer is offline
laddcruzer
Location: Santa Cruz, California
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 254
Mein Auto: 2007 650i silver grey
I would suggest driving the exact 645 or 650 you are considering. It seems every car is a little different even amongst the same year and model. If you find a 645 that is "your" car, color, options, etc go for it, you'll probably save money and won't really notice a difference between engines. Or just bag it and get an M6.
__________________

2007 650i (20 inch XIX wheels, with Dinan intake, throttle body, Stage 2 suspension, exhaust, Level 3 software upgrade, 390 horses, Vorsteiner carbon fiber hood, Hamann tail)
2002 996 (pss9's, CAI, tail, GT2 nose, Artec wheels, etc))
2006 Jeep SRT8 (corsa catback, mopar exhaust, hid's, forgeline wheels, etc)
2002 530i (stock except for M6 replica wheels) Wife's ride
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-16-2008, 09:33 AM
mike6auto's Avatar
mike6auto mike6auto is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: phila
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 498
Mein Auto: 05 645,97 xk8,01 cl600
i have been seeing m6's in the low 60;s on auto trader etc.
__________________
my cars best mod/feature: the title.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-16-2008, 10:57 AM
Southern6er Southern6er is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Alabama
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 427
Mein Auto: 2005 645 Cic
Not to pick nits, but the E63 is the coupe and the E64 is the convertible. Both the 645 and 650 are available in E63 or E64 model designation.

I had a 645, and did not miss the extra HP of the 650. The 645 got me into enough trouble as it is! Would it have been nice to have the 650 over the 645? Yeah, sure, but for the price difference (I bought my 645 as the 650's were coming out), the 645 was a much better deal and value to me. All it lacked was HUD and Active Cruise.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-16-2008, 12:16 PM
RixSix RixSix is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Hampshire
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 540
Mein Auto: BMW 650 /BMW X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern6er View Post
Not to pick nits, but the E63 is the coupe and the E64 is the convertible. Both the 645 and 650 are available in E63 or E64 model designation.

I had a 645, and did not miss the extra HP of the 650. The 645 got me into enough trouble as it is! Would it have been nice to have the 650 over the 645? Yeah, sure, but for the price difference (I bought my 645 as the 650's were coming out), the 645 was a much better deal and value to me. All it lacked was HUD and Active Cruise.

No frakin way. Really? I thought the e63 was 2003/2007 cab/coupe and the e64 was the face lifted 2008. Now I fell stuipid. Anybody else think this or just me?
__________________


2008 650 CIC Blk/Cream pearl/6spd Manual/Sport/sat/HUD/Cold/Comfort/Prem Sound!!
2002 X5 3.0 Blk/Gray/Sport (current)
2001 330i Blk/Tan/premium (Gone for 650 CIC)
2000 M Roadster Silver/black/19 in Hamman/Dinan upgrades (Sold)
1999 528i Blk/Tan/Sport (Gone for X5)
1996 328is Blk/Tan/Sport (Gone for 528i)
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-16-2008, 01:27 PM
6er 6er is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: UK
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 619
Mein Auto: 6er
Easy to spot :

630i exhausts are rounded
645i exhausts are oval
650i exhausts are oval and angled to the shape of the bumper
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-16-2008, 04:13 PM
DIV DIV is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: WA state
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 117
Mein Auto: 2005 645 CI
I already have the car. I've had it for about 3 weeks.
Are the 630's coming out in the US??
And yes, I did know that the E-63 was coupe and E-64 was cab. No worries, RixSix, but it was an honest mistake. The body style didn't actually change, just facelift like they did with the E-39 a few years before the E-60 came out in 2003.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-17-2008, 06:44 AM
Jagular's Avatar
Jagular Jagular is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Jose, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 523
Mein Auto: '04 645Ci
Doesn't look like the 63x series is heading to the states. It would be great to see the twin-turbo diesel version here, lots of torque.
__________________
'04 645Ci, Saphirschwarz Pearl/Black, auto, sport, cold-weather, 19" chromes, Logic 7, 7k white angels, MP3 retro, iPod retro, black grills/gills, Bluetooth retro, upgraded microphones, piano black interior trim
'12 Nissan LEAF, Cayenne Red
'10 Victory Cross Country, Black, too much to list
'01 Honda Magna, Black, too much to list
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-17-2008, 06:50 AM
RixSix RixSix is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Hampshire
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 540
Mein Auto: BMW 650 /BMW X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIV View Post
I already have the car. I've had it for about 3 weeks.
Are the 630's coming out in the US??
And yes, I did know that the E-63 was coupe and E-64 was cab. No worries, RixSix, but it was an honest mistake. The body style didn't actually change, just facelift like they did with the E-39 a few years before the E-60 came out in 2003.
Well I learned something new today.

I don't think there is anything wrong with a 645 vs. 650. I personally like some of the interior improvements of the 650, but I can see how others would not like it as much. Bottom line is the 645 is a sweet ride. In fact it's the whole reason I feel in love with the 6s in the first place.

Enjoy the ride!
__________________


2008 650 CIC Blk/Cream pearl/6spd Manual/Sport/sat/HUD/Cold/Comfort/Prem Sound!!
2002 X5 3.0 Blk/Gray/Sport (current)
2001 330i Blk/Tan/premium (Gone for 650 CIC)
2000 M Roadster Silver/black/19 in Hamman/Dinan upgrades (Sold)
1999 528i Blk/Tan/Sport (Gone for X5)
1996 328is Blk/Tan/Sport (Gone for 528i)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-17-2008, 08:37 AM
650kid 650kid is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Long Island
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 264
Send a message via AIM to 650kid
Mein Auto: M6 Coupe
there is one thing about the 650 in my opinion that is the reason i think it is way better looking (from the inside at least). It may just be because i have the chateau leather, but i CANNOT STAND the gray leather on all the 645's, to me the black leather just looks way way better no matter what interior color you choose. my friend has pretty much the same color combo as me on his 645 (except for sapphire black instead of jet black) and my interior looks so much better because of the chateau and black instead of his chateau and gray. just my $.02
__________________
2012 GTS Coupe- Carrera White, Alcantara, PDK, Sport Chrono, bunch of other goodies

Retired~2008 ///M6- Alpine White, Indy Red w/CF trim, 6-Speed, fully loaded, 20" HRE 845R's, Eisenmann race

Retired~2006 650i- Jet Black, Chateau/Dakota- SMG, bunch of mods
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-17-2008, 08:47 AM
Jagular's Avatar
Jagular Jagular is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Jose, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 523
Mein Auto: '04 645Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650kid View Post
there is one thing about the 650 in my opinion that is the reason i think it is way better looking (from the inside at least). It may just be because i have the chateau leather, but i CANNOT STAND the gray leather on all the 645's, to me the black leather just looks way way better no matter what interior color you choose. my friend has pretty much the same color combo as me on his 645 (except for sapphire black instead of jet black) and my interior looks so much better because of the chateau and black instead of his chateau and gray. just my $.02
Sure. But when people remark on the color, you have to tell them that it is "chateau".
__________________
'04 645Ci, Saphirschwarz Pearl/Black, auto, sport, cold-weather, 19" chromes, Logic 7, 7k white angels, MP3 retro, iPod retro, black grills/gills, Bluetooth retro, upgraded microphones, piano black interior trim
'12 Nissan LEAF, Cayenne Red
'10 Victory Cross Country, Black, too much to list
'01 Honda Magna, Black, too much to list
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-17-2008, 09:03 AM
650kid 650kid is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Long Island
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 264
Send a message via AIM to 650kid
Mein Auto: M6 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagular View Post
Sure. But when people remark on the color, you have to tell them that it is "chateau".
i dont follow?
__________________
2012 GTS Coupe- Carrera White, Alcantara, PDK, Sport Chrono, bunch of other goodies

Retired~2008 ///M6- Alpine White, Indy Red w/CF trim, 6-Speed, fully loaded, 20" HRE 845R's, Eisenmann race

Retired~2006 650i- Jet Black, Chateau/Dakota- SMG, bunch of mods
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-17-2008, 09:15 AM
Jagular's Avatar
Jagular Jagular is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Jose, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 523
Mein Auto: '04 645Ci
And when you tell them "chateau", they say "what is chateau?", and you say "ah... gray."

__________________
'04 645Ci, Saphirschwarz Pearl/Black, auto, sport, cold-weather, 19" chromes, Logic 7, 7k white angels, MP3 retro, iPod retro, black grills/gills, Bluetooth retro, upgraded microphones, piano black interior trim
'12 Nissan LEAF, Cayenne Red
'10 Victory Cross Country, Black, too much to list
'01 Honda Magna, Black, too much to list
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-17-2008, 09:25 AM
650kid 650kid is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Long Island
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 264
Send a message via AIM to 650kid
Mein Auto: M6 Coupe
when they ask whats chateau i tell them dark red. i dont get why i would say gray?
__________________
2012 GTS Coupe- Carrera White, Alcantara, PDK, Sport Chrono, bunch of other goodies

Retired~2008 ///M6- Alpine White, Indy Red w/CF trim, 6-Speed, fully loaded, 20" HRE 845R's, Eisenmann race

Retired~2006 650i- Jet Black, Chateau/Dakota- SMG, bunch of mods
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-17-2008, 09:30 AM
Jagular's Avatar
Jagular Jagular is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Jose, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 523
Mein Auto: '04 645Ci
LOL! Sorry, I've seen chateau palettes in gray, not red. Just giving you the biz. Chateau is not a color; it's a castle. Makes sense, though, that it is red. Chateau can also be a winery, like a bordeaux.
__________________
'04 645Ci, Saphirschwarz Pearl/Black, auto, sport, cold-weather, 19" chromes, Logic 7, 7k white angels, MP3 retro, iPod retro, black grills/gills, Bluetooth retro, upgraded microphones, piano black interior trim
'12 Nissan LEAF, Cayenne Red
'10 Victory Cross Country, Black, too much to list
'01 Honda Magna, Black, too much to list
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-17-2008, 09:36 AM
650kid 650kid is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Long Island
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 264
Send a message via AIM to 650kid
Mein Auto: M6 Coupe
should of said the full chateau/dakota to clear everything up then i guess sorry lol
__________________
2012 GTS Coupe- Carrera White, Alcantara, PDK, Sport Chrono, bunch of other goodies

Retired~2008 ///M6- Alpine White, Indy Red w/CF trim, 6-Speed, fully loaded, 20" HRE 845R's, Eisenmann race

Retired~2006 650i- Jet Black, Chateau/Dakota- SMG, bunch of mods
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-17-2008, 09:54 AM
Jagular's Avatar
Jagular Jagular is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Jose, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 523
Mein Auto: '04 645Ci
My bad. Now I wish I had chateau.
__________________
'04 645Ci, Saphirschwarz Pearl/Black, auto, sport, cold-weather, 19" chromes, Logic 7, 7k white angels, MP3 retro, iPod retro, black grills/gills, Bluetooth retro, upgraded microphones, piano black interior trim
'12 Nissan LEAF, Cayenne Red
'10 Victory Cross Country, Black, too much to list
'01 Honda Magna, Black, too much to list
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-17-2008, 10:04 AM
RixSix RixSix is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Hampshire
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 540
Mein Auto: BMW 650 /BMW X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650kid View Post
should of said the full chateau/dakota to clear everything up then i guess sorry lol
You hit it right on the head. When I thought of the 645 interior there was something about it that I couldn't put my finger on and that was it, the Chateau/Gray interior. Makes it look dullish for lack of a better word. The the 650 Black instead of gray really makes the interior pop.

Also, on the 08s both Saddle and Chateau come with Black regardless of whether you get the Dakota or Pearl leather. Only the Cream beige seems to come full cream beige (no black) with exceptio of the console and dash. What I mean is that the seatbelt shrouds are black instead of chateau/saddle.

I was also surprised when I first heard they called that color red Chateau instead of Bordeaux. Did they use Bordeaux on another model?
__________________


2008 650 CIC Blk/Cream pearl/6spd Manual/Sport/sat/HUD/Cold/Comfort/Prem Sound!!
2002 X5 3.0 Blk/Gray/Sport (current)
2001 330i Blk/Tan/premium (Gone for 650 CIC)
2000 M Roadster Silver/black/19 in Hamman/Dinan upgrades (Sold)
1999 528i Blk/Tan/Sport (Gone for X5)
1996 328is Blk/Tan/Sport (Gone for 528i)
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-17-2008, 11:15 AM
tbal69 tbal69 is offline
Banned
Location: Vancouver, BC
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,928
Send a message via MSN to tbal69
Mein Auto: Qrtr27
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650kid View Post
there is one thing about the 650 in my opinion that is the reason i think it is way better looking (from the inside at least). It may just be because i have the chateau leather, but i CANNOT STAND the gray leather on all the 645's, to me the black leather just looks way way better no matter what interior color you choose. my friend has pretty much the same color combo as me on his 645 (except for sapphire black instead of jet black) and my interior looks so much better because of the chateau and black instead of his chateau and gray. just my $.02
I agree, the grey interior trim on 645s does kill. 650s got black if im not wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-17-2008, 11:58 AM
Southern6er Southern6er is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Alabama
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 427
Mein Auto: 2005 645 Cic
But the 645's gray interior with the black wood looks pretty sharp to me.

With the lighter color interiors, they can a PAIN to keep clean and can generate a lot of glare in a convertible. For a convertible, the darker colors actually work well from those perspectives.

Though I did have my eye on a Barbera Red with light interior convertible - sometimes logic only gets you so far!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms