Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 06-17-2014, 11:56 AM

Mein Auto: '97 540iA, '01 740i Sport
Fuel tank lock ring woes...I'm NOT a happy camper.

Well, the fuel tank lock ring came off easy enough so I could inspect my fuel pump. Now the darn lock ring is just not engaging with the treads on the tank neck. I can see where the marks are on the lock ring so I cam return it to the original position. My problem is the lock ring pops off as I rotate it. So frustrated for something that should be straight forward. I tried screwing it on without the fuel pump and sending unit. Lock ring goes on with no problem. So the sending unit must be sitting high enough to give me grief. I've been making sure the collapsable leg with the spring is seated in the tank, but how hard are you suppose to push down on the cover? I'm expecting for something to snap mintue. No DYI write ups I've come across mentions this grief. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

1997 540iA: Silver/Grey, Premium Sound, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Fold Down Seats

2000 740i: Black/Tan, Sport Pkg, Navigation, Sun Shades

2001 740i: Sport Pkg, Navigation, Heated Front Seats
Ads by Google
Old 06-17-2014, 12:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW E39 530d Touring
Have you watched this guy?

Old 06-17-2014, 01:32 PM

I got it! I figured out that I needed to install the gasket on the tank opening before I placed the sending unit lid on. So, it was all buttoned up before I came back on the forum to see the dyi video. I went ahead and watched it to see his approach.

1. You don't need to remove the rear seat back to do this job; removing the seat bottom gives you all the access you'll need.
2. You don't have to remove the plastic carpet trim at the door opening.
3. You don't need to pull the carpet back either.
4. If you cut the perforations on the sound insulation with a knife or single edged razor and leave enough to let it fold back instead of tearing it off like the guy in the video then you have a flap instead of a separate piece of insulation.
5. Install the rubber seal right after you seat the fuel pump assy and before you place the sending unit on the tank. Thia way you don't have to work around the lid like he did.
6. He should've marked original postion of the locking ring before he removed it. The locking has to be clocked for an easier installation and there is a notch on the locking ring that contacts ridges on the tank threads. This locks the locking ring in place. The locking ring in tight to install and you can easily think it's locked when it really isn't.

As they say, "there is more than one way to skin a cat".

Old 06-17-2014, 09:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: e39 1997 528i
Took me about two hours to figure this out when I change my fuel pump. Now I don't feel so bad for making that mistake too

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-18-2014, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex5er View Post
Took me about two hours to figure this out when I change my fuel pump. Now I don't feel so bad for making that mistake too
Lol! I'll admit, it had me stumped for awhile.