Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 06-16-2008, 06:37 AM
Long LIVE ZFHP22!

Mein Auto: 2006 330i 6MT Sport
e28 "HotRod Custom" advice

Ok. I tend to be a person with wild crazy ideas. Just ask my wife. I have one year of law school left and I am looking at replacing the old e36 when I start working. I will prbably buy the new 1 although I am not sure at present.

BUT there is something else I want to do, something I have always wanted to do since I bought my first BMW e28 car 8 years ago.

I am planning on finding an old e28 chasis and transforming the car into the "ultimate driving machine". Well at least for me. I want to take an old e28 and fit an M60 and driveline out of an e39 540i. I will probably look for a 97 or 98. I dont want to fool with Vanos. I have heard rumors of this being done before. At 5er fest last year (I was unable to attend) a friend of mine claimed to have spotted this very same thing. I think the guy had even badged the car "540i". He said the motor looked like it was born there. I know this has been done with the e30. As much as I love the e30, the e28 has always had a particular appeal for me. Perhaps it is irrational. I dont care. I dont want a hot rod e30. I want an e28.

My questions for posters here and or lurkers is this: Have you done this, OR do you know someone who has? I live in the Atlanta area. Do you know of any good fabrication shops down here? Of course my customization will not end with the motor/tranny/ rear end swap and chasis fabrications. I'll need to beef up the suspension, brakes, and stiffen the chasis. I remember how the old e28's like to flex. I'll need to fix this. I also plan on changing the interior, and painting the car a flat black. It will be a hot rod. But I also plan to make a hot rod I can actually comfortably drive on the street. So Im not gonna lower it down to the ground like others do. And Im gonna keep AC in it as well as a nice stereo system etc.

Am I crazy? Probably. Will this cost a lot of money? You bet. Do I care? Not one bit. I plan on combining my two most favorite things that BMW has ever produced, the M60 and the e28. Once this is done I will have my own utlitamte driving machine. This will prbably take several years and well over 30k. In my mind it wil be well worth it.

SO anyone here have advice? I am in the arly planning stages now. And when I begin the project I will keep detailed records and pictures of all that I do to pass on to other nutcases like myself. And I will keep everyone posted here. But I am still about a year and a half from begining the project.

Cursed plastic impailor waterpumps, plastic bleeder screws, m20 timing belts, anti rattle clips, window regulators, CDV valves, digital odometer displays, evaporative emissions circuit, aux cooling fan, sunroof drains, heator cores, door seals, control modules, M62 cam covers and of course GM autos.... (more to come)
Advertisement
Old 06-19-2008, 08:06 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M3
It can be done. There is a guy on mye28.com that has this setup, though I don't know if its a 4.4 v8 from an e39 or a 4.0 from and e34. It won't be cheap unless you can do the majority of the work yourself. Good luck.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Euro M5 and an Alpina B9
The car in mention is also listed in the For Sale section and it is at a fair price. I personally think you are nuts to take on such a project especially when there is one for sale that already has euro bumpers and headlights. It is some need of some small cosmetics but it is a heck of a start for you.