Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 06-24-2008, 06:57 AM

Mein Auto: 318
Turn indicator lights will not turn off

Hi,
I am very new and this is my first post.
We have a problem with the 318 we purchased some 10 years ago. Today, while it was parked in the back yard, the right hand front light came on. We called the dealer who said this indicated a faulty globe and to bring it in to be changed. But, when we started the car, the right hand (we live in Australian) turn indicaters started their normal flashing routine - without the stick being moved. Nothing we could do would stop this other than pushing the stick to have the left hand side flash; but the moment it was released, back came the right hand flashing. Clearly we cannot drive it like this - we live in the dense inner city.

Any advice appreciated.
Thanks
Advertisement
Old 06-25-2008, 02:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via MSN to stephenslyman
Mein Auto: 525mtech|'74 o2tii| 72mg
take out the bulbs in your 3 right indicators and clean/dry out the housings,
also try only having only front and back indicators bulbs inserted, see if the symptom is the same.
or if you have time, check as much of the wiring to the right indicators as you can to see if theres any frayed wires....

if you NEED TO DRIVE, id say just remove the 3 bulbs/ or leave them in so people can see theres something wrong with your indicators...
and hand signal your maneuvers.
my indicators sometimes stick in my black e36 but only when its wet out so i assume its damp in the wiring
Old 06-25-2008, 02:31 AM

You know i just had a think about it and theres obviously some little circuit built into the indicator wiring that creates the blinking.... you know when you hit the indicator stalk, it completes the circuit so power goes to the bulb but there must be some little tiny device that makes the circuit become intermittent.
Does it sound like that makes sense?

If it does id assume thats where your problem lies.
By saying "faulty globe", your dealer means your indicator housing?? im not sure?
And if he does mean that , im not sure hes right cos if your housing was bad..... that would mean your other indicators blink twice as fast, not stay on.
Dealers love getting you to buy parts.....and you know what they love more.........charging you!!!!

Ok so i did a search and what i could find was

"If it's constant then it's the relay in the alarm control box (contacts have stuck together) you cant fix it but it may go off if you tap the control box lightly"

the guy says "you cant fix it" but everything can be fixed so i dunno how much faith id put into his opinion.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:33 AM

MR GOOGLE SAYS

"i had a problem with my 206 indicator staying on and indicating randomly. peugeot wanted £80 for a new one and i wasnt prepared to pay that.

turned out the problem was that there was grease shorting the switch. easy problem to sort. just remove the switch block, open it up and wipe the contacts with a cotton bud. give that a try"
Old 06-25-2008, 12:53 PM

Mein Auto: 85 VW Quantum
its your relay causing the issue. replace and you are good to go.

For stephenslyman....just edit your posts instead of creating tons of new ones..
Old 09-23-2008, 06:31 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E46 2000
Hi frontrowprop,

I just had the same problem with yours.
I also lived in Australia and 3 days ago I found the rights parking lights came on eventhough the stick stay neutral. When I turn the engine on, the rights side (3 lamps) indicator came on, though I didn't even move the indicator stick. My car is E46 "99 and I don't really know what happens. I wish anyone could help me please?
Old 09-24-2008, 02:41 AM
Resident Pilot

Mein Auto: BMW Not Found
RUZ84,
Read the posts above...

1993 325is - Frigg - Grounded
2001 Z3 2.5 - Išunn - Active
Old 09-24-2008, 05:58 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 323i
check the relay i think like someone else mentioned... might right side indicator went slight ape and temperamental cuz of the relay,,, tho switched the stalk but that didnt help
Old 09-25-2008, 08:21 PM

Thanks guys, I'll try to switcth the relay....and I will let you know the outcome...
anyway, does anyone knows where exactly the location of the relay?
Old 09-30-2008, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUZ84 View Post
Thanks guys, I'll try to switcth the relay....and I will let you know the outcome...
anyway, does anyone knows where exactly the location of the relay?
Well well...
I look over and over for the flasher relay, couldn't find it as there is no diagram shown...
I finally took the car out to Brisbane Motor Works, they ran a check and bang!! they said it was the "turn signal switch" and you know how much it cost me? AU$450
Not sure if I was being ripped off or what, but the item cost about AU$250 and need to be shipped from Sydney, they bloody charged me AU$150 to run the diagnostic to found out what the problem was, and then finally they killed me with another AU$99 labor to fitted the stalk ....they gave me $50 discount...as I almost cried in front of him
Not sure if that's the cost BMW dealer would charged but hell, this bloody thing cost fortune....