Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 convertible and E86 Z4 coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 06-24-2008, 03:13 PM
///Mtourage

Mein Auto: MPOWER
Broken motor mount bolts on my z4 M Coupe!

I was out driving my car a couple days ago and noticed that it made a really weird noise every time I hit a dip in the road. At first I thought it was the sway bars making the noise so I took off the bushings and greased them but to after driving the car again the noise was still there. Next I remembered the posts about the broken motor mount bolts so I decided to check those out and lone behold the passenger side mount was missing a bolt. Knowing what the problem was I called the dealer and made an appointment this morning. When I went in there this morning I explained to the SA exactly what bolt was missing and on which mount. So after not getting a call all day updating me on the progress of my car I finally called the dealer and check the progress of my car. To my surprise the SA informs me that they couldn't find any bolts missing and that it is actually a heat shield rubbing and it must have been something I have done so it will not be covered under warranty. At this point I was about to blow up and tell him that the reason the heat shield is rubbing is because the engine is hanging down on the one corner due to the missing bolt. Instead of losing my cool I asked the SA if they had checked the passenger side engine mount. He then tells me that there two head checks and a BMW Master tech checked it and could not find any problem nor a missing bolt on the engine mount. On top of this he even says that he checked it him self and there is no missing bolt! Luckily I decided to take a picture of the missing bolt before I took the car in for service this morning so I sent him the picture. When I called him back he was speechless and told me he doesn't know how they could have missed that. To which I told them there was no way they could have checked the mount which is disappointing considering I told him exactly what to check. Now it is really scaring me letting them do the work on my car... if there master tech can not find a problem as obvious as this then how will there repair work be? This is the first time I have ever had my car worked on by anybody other then my tech at my local dealership which I have a long relationship. Due to the fact that I am at school for the summer I had no other choice but to use a different dealership. I am def going to double check the work when I get the car back!

Here is a picture of the offending engine mount bolt...

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Ads by Google
Old 06-24-2008, 03:23 PM
19,585 Miles

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Quote:
Originally Posted by F360C View Post
I was out driving my car a couple days ago and noticed that it made a really weird noise every time I hit a dip in the road. At first I thought it was the sway bars making the noise so I took off the bushings and greased them but to after driving the car again the noise was still there. Next I remembered the posts about the broken motor mount bolts so I decided to check those out and lone behold the passenger side mount was missing a bolt. Knowing what the problem was I called the dealer and made an appointment this morning. When I went in there this morning I explained to the SA exactly what bolt was missing and on which mount. So after not getting a call all day updating me on the progress of my car I finally called the dealer and check the progress of my car. To my surprise the SA informs me that they couldn't find any bolts missing and that it is actually a heat shield rubbing and it must have been something I have done so it will not be covered under warranty. At this point I was about to blow up and tell him that the reason the heat shield is rubbing is because the engine is hanging down on the one corner due to the missing bolt. Instead of losing my cool I asked the SA if they had checked the passenger side engine mount. He then tells me that there two head checks and a BMW Master tech checked it and could not find any problem nor a missing bolt on the engine mount. On top of this he even says that he checked it him self and there is no missing bolt! Luckily I decided to take a picture of the missing bolt before I took the car in for service this morning so I sent him the picture. When I called him back he was speechless and told me he doesn't know how they could have missed that. To which I told them there was no way they could have checked the mount which is disappointing considering I told him exactly what to check. Now it is really scaring me letting them do the work on my car... if there master tech can not find a problem as obvious as this then how will there repair work be? This is the first time I have ever had my car worked on by anybody other then my tech at my local dealership which I have a long relationship. Due to the fact that I am at school for the summer I had no other choice but to use a different dealership. I am def going to double check the work when I get the car back!
Amazing.
They were probably checking the motor mount versus the motor mount bracket.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:58 PM
S54=Living on the Edge

Mein Auto: 2007 M Coupe, 2004 Audi T
Hopefully they'll put better quality bolts in there ... I updated mine to some grade 10.9 ones.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=272236
Old 06-24-2008, 05:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 ZHP Convertible
I am experiencing maybe the same thing- not necessarily on potholes but my driveway to my house and at my office is on an include and when i pull up at and angle I hear a distinctive pop sound- not everytime but seems to be happeing more often. Have looked and havnt seen anything out of the ordinary but then again i could be missing it
Old 06-24-2008, 06:16 PM
Is it Trackday yet?

Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
Quote:
On top of this he even says that he checked it him self and there is no missing bolt!

Luckily I decided to take a picture of the missing bolt before I took the car in for service this morning so I sent him the picture. When I called him back he was speechless and told me he doesn't know how they could have missed that.
Interesting alright! Sounds to me like they see your car is modified and were spending their time looking for a reason NOT to cover it, rather than find the problem.

And they'll want all 5's on the survey too!

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin
Old 06-24-2008, 06:53 PM
///Mtourage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvr826 View Post
Interesting alright! Sounds to me like they see your car is modified and were spending their time looking for a reason NOT to cover it, rather than find the problem.

And they'll want all 5's on the survey too!
I was thinking the same thing... I told him many many times exactly what bolt was missing but I am sure he thought I was just some spolied rich kid that doesn't know the first thing about cars. He kept asking me if I felt any vibrations and i told him yes but its cause the motor mount is not all the way attached to the motor. The kicker is that he tries to tell me when i call him that the vibration is "a heat sheild that is hitting the motor but it is not covered under warranty because it looks like someone was working around in there." This was the point where I almost called him a dumb a$$ and wanted to tell him that motor is hitting that heat sheild because it is not totally connected to the mount and that he better look into the training of his so called "master tech." Infact last night my brother and I had our cars side by side and my motor sits about 3/4 inch lower at the front. It very clear that they didn't check the mount at all but instead took the car for a short drive and tried to find anything but the mount that could be the problem.

I gotta say though if it wasn't for this forum I would have never been able to get this problme fixed. I most likely would have been handed back a broken car today.

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Old 06-24-2008, 07:00 PM
19,585 Miles

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing... I told him many many times exactly what bolt was missing but I am sure he thought I was just some spolied rich kid that doesn't know the first thing about cars. He kept asking me if I felt any vibrations and i told him yes but its cause the motor mount is not all the way attached to the motor. The kicker is that he tries to tell me when i call him that the vibration is "a heat sheild that is hitting the motor but it is not covered under warranty because it looks like someone was working around in there." This was the point where I almost called him a dumb a$$ and wanted to tell him that motor is hitting that heat sheild because it is not totally connected to the mount and that he better look into the training of his so called "master tech." Infact last night my brother and I had our cars side by side and my motor sits about 3/4 inch lower at the front. It very clear that they didn't check the mount at all but instead took the car for a short drive and tried to find anything but the mount that could be the problem.

I gotta say though if it wasn't for this forum I would have never been able to get this problme fixed. I most likely would have been handed back a broken car today.
How did it drop 3/4 inch if just one bolt was out. Did they check the torque on the other three?
Old 06-24-2008, 07:08 PM
///Mtourage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stygar View Post
How did it drop 3/4 inch if just one bolt was out. Did they check the torque on the other three?
No I wasn't able to check the torque on the other three bolts. I just noticed one was missing and the others were all at least in the holes then made the call to the dealership. There was a gap of almost a finger between the corner of the mount where the bolt is missing and the engine block. The dealership for sure did not check the check the torque of the bolts because if they did they would have noticed that one was missing....they didn't even look at the mount at all. I am wondering now if the mount it self is bent too??

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Old 06-24-2008, 07:12 PM
19,585 Miles

Quote:
No I wasn't able to check the torque on the other three bolts. I just noticed one was missing and the others were all at least in the holes then made the call to the dealership. There was a gap of almost a finger between the corner of the mount where the bolt is missing and the engine block. The dealership for sure did not check the check the torque of the bolts because if they did they would have noticed that one was missing....they didn't even look at the mount at all. I am wondering now if the mount it self is bent too??
To have the gap the other three bolts were loose. Probably still are.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:13 PM
///Mtourage

Quote:
To have the gap the other three bolts were loose. Probably still are.
I am hoping that they will check the torque of the other bolts when they replace the bolt but just to be sure I will call them in the morning. Thanks for the help Ron.

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Old 06-24-2008, 08:11 PM

Mein Auto: 07 Imola Red/Black MCoupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvrZHP View Post
I am experiencing maybe the same thing- not necessarily on potholes but my driveway to my house and at my office is on an include and when i pull up at and angle I hear a distinctive pop sound- not everytime but seems to be happeing more often. Have looked and havnt seen anything out of the ordinary but then again i could be missing it
You have a different issue entirely. Your shock/strut tower brace(s) are loose at the firewall and need to be retorqued.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:36 PM
///M

Mein Auto: 07 M Coupe
Amazing for all the wrong reasons...good luck!

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website in the History of the Internet!
Old 06-24-2008, 09:13 PM

Mein Auto: '02 M5, Sterling Gray
My Z4M coupe just went in for the same thing...luckily, they did look at the engine mounts and told me the bolt had broken. What is it with engine mount bolts and these cars? It does not *seem* like a difficult part to engineer...

2002 E39 M5 Sterling Gray/Caramel
2007 E86 Z4M Coupe Silver Gray/Black
1999 Mercedes ML320 (hauler...)
Old 06-24-2008, 09:23 PM

Mein Auto: cars
Does anyone have the specs of the bolts (size, dist-between-threads, length) so that I can just go pick some up next time I'm at the hardware store... I don't see the point of waiting it to happen, then having to leave it with the dealership.

Last edited by stephenti; 06-24-2008 at 09:47 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:44 PM
19,585 Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
My Z4M coupe just went in for the same thing...luckily, they did look at the engine mounts and told me the bolt had broken. What is it with engine mount bolts and these cars? It does not *seem* like a difficult part to engineer...
Passenger side???
Old 06-24-2008, 09:47 PM
19,585 Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenti View Post
Does anyone have the specs of the bolts (pitch, length, size, etc) so that I can just go pick some up next time I'm at the hardware store... I don't see the point of waiting it to happen, then having to leave it with the dealership.
Read both pages

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ht=motor+mount
Old 06-24-2008, 10:38 PM

Mein Auto: cars
Must be late... the way the bolt specs were labeled, I didn't realize the bolt-count was cumulative for rt and left bracket til the 2nd read. Only stared at the passenger-side of the diag.

For the shorter bolts, did you just go w/ the 25mm... didn't see 26mm listed at McMaster. I assume pitch is 1.25mm.

For zinc-plated part# at McMaster, I came up w/:

M8x35: 90854A172
M8x25: 90854A167

Last edited by stephenti; 06-24-2008 at 10:48 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:50 PM
19,585 Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenti View Post
Must be late... the way the bolt specs were labeled, I didn't realize the bolt-count was cumulative for rt and left bracket til the 2nd read. Only stared at the passenger-side of the diag.

For the shorter bolts, did you just go w/ the 25mm... didn't see 26mm listed at McMaster. I assume pitch is 1.25mm.

For zinc-plated part# at McMaster, I came up w/:

M8x35: 90854A172
M8x25: 90854A167
Yes.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:44 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 M-Coupe 8LM08757
I probably haven't read every post on the topic of broken or loose motor mounts but I wonder why does this seem to be a coupe specific problem?

Also, I have noticed that when I start my 08 M-Coupe (less than 1 month old about 1200 miles) I hear sound that sort of sounds like a manifold hitting something just at the point the engine catches and begins to run. I'm going to get it up in the air and check the mounts as best a non mechanically inclined person can AND then ask that they check it at the 1200 mile service.

2008 M Coupe
Monaco Blue/Dark Sepang/Stubby Antenna/DICE iPod Interface/Whalen Shift Machine
RPi Skid Plates/Eisenmann Race Exhaust
==================
2004 X5 3.0 (wife's ride)
==================
Previous Z Car's
2000 Z3 2.5/2003 Z4 3.0/2002 M-roadster/2006 M-roadster
Old 06-25-2008, 05:13 AM
///Mtourage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrdster View Post
I probably haven't read every post on the topic of broken or loose motor mounts but I wonder why does this seem to be a coupe specific problem?

Also, I have noticed that when I start my 08 M-Coupe (less than 1 month old about 1200 miles) I hear sound that sort of sounds like a manifold hitting something just at the point the engine catches and begins to run. I'm going to get it up in the air and check the mounts as best a non mechanically inclined person can AND then ask that they check it at the 1200 mile service.
The driver side mount is really easy to get at... you can see most of the bolts and if you can't see them jsut stick you hand in there and feel around. The passenger side mount is more difficult to get at. I found the only way I was able to see the bracket was to take off the passenger side wheel then look in from where the wish bone comes out of the car. That actually how I took the picture of my missing bolt. The sound you are describling about the manifold sounds similar to the sound I was getting.

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Old 06-25-2008, 07:15 AM
S54=Living on the Edge

Mein Auto: 2007 M Coupe, 2004 Audi T
I would check all the 4 bolts once the car is back ... I dont trust dealers that try and give you the run around. What dealer in NJ did you go to so I can stay away?

Below are the McMaster Carr bolts compared to the stockers ..

Old 06-25-2008, 07:19 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe
What is the name and location of the dealership that Fd up?
Old 06-25-2008, 07:23 AM
///Mtourage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pal View Post
I would check all the 4 bolts once the car is back ... I dont trust dealers that try and give you the run around. What dealer in NJ did you go to so I can stay away?

Below are the McMaster Carr bolts compared to the stockers ..

I am going to check all the bolts for sure when I get the car back.... I am going to have my trusted tech back in Jersey replace all the bolts with better quality ones next time I am in for service at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phat View Post
What is the name and location of the dealership that Fd up?
The dealership is actually in Canada not the US.... I am up around Toronto taking some classes this summer. The dealership in question is Open Road BMW in New Market Ontario.

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR

Last edited by F360C; 06-25-2008 at 07:26 AM.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:32 PM

Mein Auto: '02 M5, Sterling Gray
Quote:
Passenger side???
Yes...

2002 E39 M5 Sterling Gray/Caramel
2007 E86 Z4M Coupe Silver Gray/Black
1999 Mercedes ML320 (hauler...)
Old 06-25-2008, 03:57 PM
///Mtourage

Do any of you guys know if there is a puma case out for this problem yet?

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR