Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-28-2008, 01:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by philippek View Post
This just proves we'll never be replaced by computers...unless you mean by this computer:
hehe.. True.

Btw, do you go by Phil or no? Just curious.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfulcher View Post
It meets the very definition of slander or libel (kind of a grey area because slander is spoken, libel is written - it's almost both here). They very well could bring a legal case against him.
You know, that wouldn't surprise me in the least.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:25 PM

Mein Auto: 08 335i coupe
Quote:
It meets the very definition of slander or libel (kind of a grey area because slander is spoken, libel is written - it's almost both here). They very well could bring a legal case against him.

He approached them with a price, they did not meet it that should be the end of the conversation. The most he could have posted on here was they wouldn't budge very far on the price or something similar to that.

However with his broomstick statement he provided a statement that very well could be damaging to the dealership for nothing wrong they did to him short of wasting a few minutes of his time. It's not a very professional way to do business.

However on the other side of the coin the dealership did equally as wrong by doing what they did when he came in for service.

Regardless of how much you guys hate dealers and think they are evil it doesn't mean you should be able to damage their reputations with slanderous statements because you couldn't agree on a price. Now if you agreed on a price verbally and LATER they came back and backed out on their verbal agreement then you would have every right to moan and complain and make harsh statements. This one was very undeserved IMHO though and shows the lack of class of the OP.

not at all--expressing an opinion is not defamation.....
Old 06-28-2008, 01:26 PM

Mein Auto: 08 335i Coupe
2 outs. Bottom of the ninth. Who's up next?
Old 06-28-2008, 01:27 PM
BMW Fahrer

Mein Auto: E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWBabe View Post
The accusations and venom leveled against the people and this company are undeserved. (...) Don't just listen to some obscure internet joker gifted with a dramatic writing style making spurious and unproven comments. Learn the facts!!!
Let me be the first to point out that your experience is also just the point of view of one person. And yours is not any more valid that the OP's. He's a Internet joker and we shouldn't listen to him, but by contrast you are such a proven authority.

Right?

He said his story - you're more than welcome to post your own (postive, presumably) story, in your own thread, that has absolutely nothing to do with coontie. Or does it?

adc
09 M3 Sedan ED
12 MINI Countryman S All4
93 Miata LE
Old 06-28-2008, 01:31 PM
Family Man

Mein Auto: '09 M3 Coupe
Quote:
It's not a very professional way to do business.
Why would anyone require professionalism from a consumer? If I'm supposed to be a professional consumer they're not paying me enough.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:33 PM

Mein Auto: 07 E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3Mcoupedriver View Post
Why would anyone require professionalism from a consumer? If I'm supposed to be a professional consumer they're not paying me enough.
Some people have class when they deal in business transactions and others don't. You are buying a BMW not a Ford - have a little class and don't run off flaming the dealership on the internet because they wouldn't accept your negotiation. That's all I was saying.

They are both wrong now, but coontie was wrong too. The dealership does need to take a few lessons in customer service for their most recent dealings with him.

ED Pickup: 04/11/2007
Back in my posession: 5/29/07
Old 06-28-2008, 01:33 PM
BMW Fahrer

Mein Auto: E90 M3
Quote:

He approached them with a price, they did not meet it that should be the end of the conversation. The most he could have posted on here was they wouldn't budge very far on the price or something similar to that.

However with his broomstick statement he provided a statement that very well could be damaging to the dealership for nothing wrong they did to him short of wasting a few minutes of his time. It's not a very professional way to do business.
Sorry, but you still haven't proven that it's either slander or libel.

First, coontie mentioned that the treatment he got was like being sodomized with a broomstick. Unless the dealer brings in a recognized expert, they have no way of proving that it wasn't.

Second, this is simply a metaphor - it describes an unpleasant experience by analogy with another (presumably) unpleasant one that everybody can relate to. Coontie did not actually say he was sodomized with a broomstick, which if untrue would have constituted some grevious accusation towards the dealer.

In order to make it slander or libel, it has to untrue, malicious and specific.

If what he said is true, it doesn't matter how damaging to the dealer it is.

adc
09 M3 Sedan ED
12 MINI Countryman S All4
93 Miata LE
Old 06-28-2008, 01:38 PM

Mein Auto: '08 335xi coupe
Quote:
However with his broomstick statement he provided a statement that very well could be damaging to the dealership for nothing wrong they did to him short of wasting a few minutes of his time.
Did you believe the broomstick statement, literally? Do you think any reasonable person reading coontie's post would see "sodomized by a broomstick" and believe it?

It's not slander. It's not libel. It's sarcastic hyperbole. Get over it.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Some people have class when they deal in business transactions and others don't. You are buying a BMW not a Ford - have a little class and don't run off flaming the dealership on the internet because they wouldn't accept your negotiation. That's all I was saying.
You got it all wrong.

I didn't flame them because they didn't accept my offer. NOT AT ALL. I just let it go. I paid for my car in August 07, the broomstick post was made in February 08. Sorry, my memory is not that long.

My "flame" as you choose to call it, was a simple reply to somebody asking whether Flow in Winston is worth dealing with. My reply was (paraphrasing) that their prices blow but they all seem like nice people. In fact, I concluded my post by saying, "BUT. They are very friendly, always treat you nice, good customer service, good Starbucks coffee (Dunkin Donuts on the other side of the ditch doesn't hurt ) but it seems like their prices are set in stone and it's a very polite "take it or leave it" attitude."...

That's the background. It's not like they said "$700 off MSRP and that's it" and I ran back home to flame them all over the internets. That's not how it happened.

Last edited by zoltrix; 06-28-2008 at 01:44 PM.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:48 PM
Family Man

Quote:

They are both wrong now, but coontie was wrong too. The dealership does need to take a few lessons in customer service for their most recent dealings with him.
IMHO people who bring up the notion of "class" aren't particularly "classy." Coontie wasn't wrong for feeling like he made a decent offer only to be dismissed out of hand. I'm sure everyone would prefer to buy locally. MSRP is a myth that some buyers are only too happy to believe. "Ooh, I got a discount off of being totally reamed."

BMW is like the Ford of Germany (think stretched MINI: Flex, anyone?), MB is like Chrysler (owned it once), VAG is like GM (tho doing much better). Sure BMW makes good cars, but they're only exotic to 'mericans.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
.. MSRP is a myth that some buyers are only too happy to believe. "Ooh, I got a discount off of being totally reamed."
But I think that's how most people buy their cars.

They look at the MSRP $$$, they ask for a discount, they get $700 off and they drive home in a shiny new bimmer, totally convinced that they got a good deal. And that happens at dealerships all across the country, not just Flow.

Sad but true.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:53 PM

Mein Auto: Nothing
[QUOTE=jfulcher;3361522]Some people have class when they deal in business transactions and others don't. You are buying a BMW not a Ford - have a little class and don't run off flaming the dealership on the internet because they wouldn't accept your negotiation. That's all I was saying.

I don't see a difference between conducting a business transaction regarding a Ford or a BMW. Both are cars. Both have dealer invoices and both dealers are out to make the most profit possible while the consumer is negotiating to to give them the least amount of profit possible. Somewhere in the middle is the "fair" value.

The concept is the same. I didn't wear a suit to negotiate on my BMW.

I'm also not buying this whole slander/libel or "defication" of character concept.

I assure you that I could slam my local dealer on here daily (I wouldn't because I'm pleased with them). But if I did, there is no way they would call me into an office and treat me like an international terrorist.
Old 06-28-2008, 02:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535xiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by da geez View Post
Damn! You've got me rollin'!

This might actually pass for funny with the Rush Limbaugh crowd. How am I to know?

The real humor arises from your rabid defence of Flow. It's quite amusing to watch you perpetuate such a thin ruse. None of us are taking the bait. It's time for someone at Flow to chime in and call the OP a liar. You're going completely off of the script.
Does Ann Coulter live in North Carolina?
Old 06-28-2008, 02:08 PM
Escape Artist®

Mein Auto: MY 07 M Coupe
Ann is a more talented writer.

2007 Interlagos Blue M Coupe
2004 325i and I'm not sure what color it is except for dark silver.
Old 06-28-2008, 02:14 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Hey I did a google earth on Don's address, hes got a pretty nice pad...

For the truth...
www.anti-cnn.com
Old 06-28-2008, 02:26 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: Fünfer und Dreier
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwoo2go View Post
Hey I did a google earth on Don's address, hes got a pretty nice pad...
sam, please post an image or link

F10 2014 535d M Sport Mondstein Metallic
F10 2012 ActiveHybrid 5 Azuritschwarz Metallic
MB 2011 E350 BlueTec
E70 2011 X5 xDrive35d*
E90 2010 335d*
E60 2008 550i*

E90 2006 330xi*
E90 2006 325i
E90 2006 330xi*
E39 2003 530i*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is*
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired
Old 06-28-2008, 02:34 PM
335... is alive!

Mein Auto: E90 335
I just read this whole thread. Wow. I'm amazed, flat out amazed.

First, it sounds like coontie was no angel, as others have said. But I'm continually surprised at what people in the service industry will do to avoid having to provide good service. Hauling someone into an office to get on them about something they said 6 months ago, man, that's ridiculous. These guys need to learn that the best way to approach a customer who had a complaint is to say "sorry you weren't happy with that one aspect of our business, what can we do to ensure your other experiences are good?" Isn't that the goal, to keep business?

It's a shame that some businesses would rather go after people who could be loyal customers and treat them poorly, on the assumption that there is always another sucker out there who they can rip off. Most businesses just can't work like that anymore - but in a smaller city with a captive customer base, evidently these guys can. I hope they get what's coming to them from this type of negative attention.
Old 06-28-2008, 02:49 PM

self-portrait

In case somebody's curious what I really look like...
Old 06-28-2008, 03:12 PM
Abuser of everything

Mein Auto: BMW E90 2007
Quote:
Dealer was not wrong talking privately to him. The abuser did this thread out of revenge and to get attention.

If there is a lesson for the dealer; never underestimate what whiny consumers will do and this should not keep them from doing it again if they were in their right.
Old 06-28-2008, 03:17 PM
Road Goober

Send a message via AIM to Nic3quik
Mein Auto: 2008 335i cp
13 Pages? Geez. And to think, we used to use the BBB to file a complaint. Now the internet allows a small voice to become ginormous! I still stand by what I said. Even if i were to walk into a retail store and start a sh*t storm, I would expect that the business had enough common sense not to retaliate and make the situation worse. Now that the store argued back, all the other customers are starting to notice. I feel horrible when I get no response, not when someone argues back. This is a psychological note. Thats my point.

Last edited by Nic3quik; 06-28-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Old 06-28-2008, 03:19 PM
Road Goober

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
Dealer was not wrong talking privately to him. The abuser did this thread out of revenge and to get attention.

If there is a lesson for the dealer; never underestimate what whiny consumers will do and this should not keep them from doing it again if they were in their right.
WRONG,
Old 06-28-2008, 03:20 PM
Super Bayern!

Mein Auto: 2013 F10 M5
Quote:

Who stole Saintor's username and password and wrote a sensible post? However, the use of "the abuser" is getting stale. And of course he did it to get attention. Attention to the silly practice of a dealer that should be avoided at all cost.

I can picture Saintor's face on a billboard, or is it the back of a phone book? Either way, I wonder if his customer service is as good as Flow's? You get what you pay for, and I am thinking if his consultations are free, and will be of no charge unless he wins your case.
2008 E93 335i- retired (but can still hear the fluttering)
Old 06-28-2008, 03:21 PM
Family Man

Quote:

Whiny consumers unite! "Talking privately" and refusing his business was clearly not a smart move. "The abuser" wanted to give his money to the stealer: Both for sales and service. You must be the only "sane" bimmer owner on this forum to think that the dealer did nothing to deserve OP's "revenge."
Old 06-28-2008, 03:25 PM
Road Goober

Quote:
Whiny consumers unite! "Talking privately" and refusing his business was clearly not a smart move. "The abuser" wanted to give his money to the stealer: Both for sales and service. You must be the only "sane" bimmer owner on this forum to think that the dealer did nothing to deserve OP's "revenge."
RIGHT

Internet is not going anywhere, learn adapt, make your ways better and smoother. Dealers are under increased pressure, but as we all know, increased pressure = better company. Both sales/price AND service. Competition is where its at for a true capitalistic society.