Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 07-05-2008, 08:49 AM

Mein Auto: E46 325CiA, E36 328iA
535is advice

Hey everyone, I am looking at an e28 and was hoping for some advice. It's an 88 535is, salmon silver on (trashed) pacific blue leather. The car has 200k miles on it and exterior/engine appear to be immaculate and fully documented. I am planning to use it for my daily drive which is about 50 miles each way. Are there reliability issues with this model, at this mileage? Also, how hard would it be to track down an oem pacific blue interior replacement, in good shape? Thanks for any additional feedback beyond my questions.
Advertisement
Old 07-06-2008, 05:42 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
Well, as any used car start by asking any prior service history records. Make sure that the engine runs good and it has been serviced well. These engines are built like tanks but as any engine it needs maintenance. Make sure that the oil has been changed and the valves have been adjusted. The best thing would be to get it inspected by a BMW mechanic but in lack of that a through inspection is on order. Check the following items:

1- Make sure that the car doesn't "shimmy" around 55 to 60 MPH. If it does it Upper Control Arm time and the good ones go for about $120 each (just parts).
2- Make sure that eveything electrical works
3- Interior wise you can get another interior (used in good shape) or replace the seat covers.
4- You didn't mention it is an automatic or manual transmission. Auto's tend to die eventually from their A clutch pack failure. Manuals are robust and the clutch probably has been replaced.
5- Check the tires to see if they are the metric ones (TRX). If they are you'll need to replace the wheels and tires.

I got mine as a dily driver also and besides fixing the small items they are great cars made to be enjoyed!

Good Luck!