Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-25-2012, 04:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 335xi
"Power Window Anti-Trap Function".

Hello,

Yesterday, I got my windows tinted...
The guy said to NOT roll down the window for a day or so.

Well, this morning, my mom took my car for a joyride and unknowingly put down the windows.
Every window is fine but the right passenger door. The window went up halfway, and won't go up or down.

When you press the button, it doesn't click or purr or anything. It's like the motor isn't working at all.

The people at the shop did NOT take off the door panels and take out the window or anything when tinting.

Can someone tell me what is wrong?

Thank you.
Advertisement
Old 05-25-2012, 10:41 PM
cgmiller63

Mein Auto: 2017 440i GC MSport
Could water from the window tinting have gotten in the panels? That happened to me when i had the Audi. Luckily once it dried out the window worked fine.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 650i Convertible
As mentioned above, i wonder if when the window rolled down, the window seal/sill acted as a squeegee and squoze the water from between the window and tint and it dripped down into some electrical parts.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:13 AM
.oo=||=oo.

Mein Auto: Bimmers
I'd check for a blown fuse.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:25 AM

I figured it out.

To anyone else that ever has this problem...here is what I did.

Disconnect the battery for 1min.
When connected, turn the key on.
Go to the window, turn it all the way up, and hold the button up for 30sec.
(The window will only go up in increments because it is resetting)
Put the window all the way down, and hold the down button for 30sec.
Keep doing this until the window will go up and down all by itself.

I assume that it got stuck, and the car disabled that window to prevent regulator damage.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:53 PM

Even though all of the windows work just fine, I can't stop getting that stupid message to pop up every 2 seconds.

I've been doing a lot of research on Google on how to get it to go away, but I'm not having any luck.
If anyone has some insight, please let me know.

Thanks.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 335
I had a similar problem with my 2008 coupe. The coupe window drops down about an inch when the door handle is operated and goes up the same amount when the door is closed. This gives the frameless windows a tight seal. The window wouldn't not fully extend with the passenger door closed. It was under warranty so I took it to the dealer. There is a reset procedure that the dealer attempted. That didn't fix the problem, so they replaced the motor. That didn't fix it either, so after talking to BMW, they replaced a control module.

When I had rear window problems in an e46, I tried several fixes. Ultimately, I disconnected the battery to try to do a general control module swap with a friend's car. We decided not to do the swap since his module had a different hardware and software number. But surprisingly (to me anyway) disconnecting the battery solved the problem. The windows worked fine and I didn't get a error message or code.

If your windows are working properly, but you are still getting an error message, you might try disconnecting the battery for about an hour or so. Then reconnect. It's possible that there is a code in memory and it will still show up unless it's cleared. Disconnecting the battery won't clear the code, but it may cause the control module to reset like it did in my e46.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:53 PM

I'm going to put my Verus on it tomorrow and see if I can clear that stupid error. If that doesn't work, I'll try disconnecting the battery for an hour.

I'll let you know what happens.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:54 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
check fuse
Old 05-30-2012, 06:59 PM

The Verus did nothing.
I tried disconnecting the battery for several hours. It did nothing.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 328i
I had this problem with my rear passenger side window on 07 328i. I just got the car so I was showing my brother the trick where when I put my key in the door I can roll all the windows down. He thought it was cool but then when I went to roll them back up the rear passenger side would not roll up.
When you went to roll it up it would shoot up like 2 centimeters and then drop right back down. After about 15 minutes of doing it it finally rolled back up. Now the rear windows are locked and I will not be rolling them down again lol.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morketh View Post
I had this problem with my rear passenger side window on 07 328i. I just got the car so I was showing my brother the trick where when I put my key in the door I can roll all the windows down. He thought it was cool but then when I went to roll them back up the rear passenger side would not roll up.
When you went to roll it up it would shoot up like 2 centimeters and then drop right back down. After about 15 minutes of doing it it finally rolled back up. Now the rear windows are locked and I will not be rolling them down again lol.
L.M.A.O.

I love your attitude.
That story made me laugh out loud.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:55 AM

WOWWWWW!!!
So remember how I told yall my passenger side window wouldnt roll up? Now I had a friend driving my car and when we pulled up to the drive through she accidentally rolled down the rear driver side window and now it will not roll up!
When I try to roll it up all you hear is the motor run and the window does not move. Taking it to the dealership ASAP! So pissed at BMW because I've read how many people have this kind of problem, shoulda bought another RSX and wouldnt have to worry about these silly ass problems! Prolly gonna be $400 just to get the POS fixed!
Old 06-08-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morketh View Post
WOWWWWW!!!
So remember how I told yall my passenger side window wouldnt roll up? Now I had a friend driving my car and when we pulled up to the drive through she accidentally rolled down the rear driver side window and now it will not roll up!
When I try to roll it up all you hear is the motor run and the window does not move. Taking it to the dealership ASAP! So pissed at BMW because I've read how many people have this kind of problem, shoulda bought another RSX and wouldnt have to worry about these silly ass problems! Prolly gonna be $400 just to get the POS fixed!
I think I have to take mine to the dealer too...

Does anyone have ANY clue on how to get the warning to go away?

I've tried disconnecting the battery for over an hour.
I've tried putting a Verus on it.
I've tried cycling all of the windows up and down various times.
I've tried rolling the window up and holding the button, then vice-versa.
Nothing will make the damn warning go away.

The dealership said they want at least $102 to put the damn computer on it to clear the code. That's retarded.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:56 AM

They are saying it is probably the window regulator which is about 400-600.... Perfect...
Old 12-21-2012, 02:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 bmw 335ix
Hi did anyone find the solution for this issue.

my 2007 335ix started displaying this same message 2 day's ago. it had to happen after warranty expired.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrojolt View Post
Hi did anyone find the solution for this issue.

my 2007 335ix started displaying this same message 2 day's ago. it had to happen after warranty expired.
I disconnected the negative battery terminal for about a minute. When I put it back on, the window reset and started working again.

Even though it was working, the "power window anti-trap function" warning kept screaming at me every 5 seconds. The code never reset. I called BMW and they wanted $106 to clear the fault.
Instead, I bought a Bavarian Tech from Burger Motor Sports (~$300) and reset it myself.
Never had a problem since.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemorrhage View Post
I disconnected the negative battery terminal for about a minute. When I put it back on, the window reset and started working again.

Even though it was working, the "power window anti-trap function" warning kept screaming at me every 5 seconds. The code never reset. I called BMW and they wanted $106 to clear the fault.
Instead, I bought a Bavarian Tech from Burger Motor Sports (~$300) and reset it myself.
Never had a problem since.
Thanks, I may go that route also. There must be some kind of windows button pressing sequence timed with the warning message that will reset it.

I think I got that 1st part. I got the warning message to stay on.

started with the one of the rear windows all the way up.

moved the one of the rear windows all the way down by holding the windows button to the second notch. release the button when windows reaches the bottom.

wait for the annoying message to display, while the message on the screen, press the window button down (second notch) and hold until the message returns,

when the message return, release the button and immediately pull the button up to the second notch. this is when the message light will stay on.

at this point we can close the window in small increments while the message is on.

I have tried different combinations but I think I'm still missing something...

once the window reaches the top, holding the button up will get the one touch roll up working with the anti-pinch function working... but does not stop the message from showing up every 20 seconds.

I'm taking the car to the dealer to get the Fuel Pump + software update recall done.

maybe when they do the software recall it will reset the annoying message.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:54 PM

Fixed it

I was able to reset the error message with inpaloader and a INPA K+CAN K+DCAN cable that I got from amazon.

at last, no more: Dong........Dong..........Dong... that was driving me nuts.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:28 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 325i m sport e90
anti trap light

I've a BMW 325 m sport it a 07.i have the same problem can't get the light out tryed all the resets but still there and that anoying bong do U think this will work for me all my windows work fine and its ever since my central locking blew a fuse as I tryed to start the car but battery was low the car started but just what was the tool U got thanks
Old 06-08-2014, 10:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2007BMW 328I
I have a 2007 BMW 328i and I did exerting to fix the rear driver side window change regulator, motor , disconnect the battery and when the window go down after whit out push from under do not like to go UP what I have to do to fix it ? HELLPPPPPP .
Old 06-09-2014, 07:26 AM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Try pulling the battery. Then hold the window button in the up position for 30+ seconds. Then in the down position for 30+ seconds. This should allow the window to learn the down and up positions.

If the window doesn't move at all, check the fuses.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | Custom Polyurethane Shore A90 Tension Strut Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | UUC Front Sway Bar | Custom Heim Joint Rear Control Arms | Apex ARC-8 | Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec | Modified Dinan Cold Air Intake | aFe Oiled Drop-in Filter | Custom Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 06-09-2014, 11:05 AM

I did dat , after I connect the battery window working in intervals and I did the Up /down initialization whit 30s holding the button and the window went down and do not like to go UP whit out hand help.All fuses r Ok .What else I can do ?
Old 06-09-2014, 01:31 PM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Try the following sequence (copied from the E65 subforum, user TechFreak):

1) Start the Car.
2) Roll down the window all the way to the bottom on the "defective" window using that windows own button not the driver's one (the window wants to stop every xx inches, keep making it go down all the way)
3) Release the window switch
4) Push and hold down the switch for EXACTLY 17 seconds (17 SECONDS IS CRITICAL)
5) After 17 seconds immediatly pull and HOLD up the switch to roll the window up.
6) While still holding up the button, the window should travel all the way up to the top, then travel all the way down again , and finally all the way up once more.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | Custom Polyurethane Shore A90 Tension Strut Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | UUC Front Sway Bar | Custom Heim Joint Rear Control Arms | Apex ARC-8 | Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec | Modified Dinan Cold Air Intake | aFe Oiled Drop-in Filter | Custom Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 06-09-2014, 10:28 PM

Thank you I will try tomorrow .

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search