Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-22-2016, 01:29 PM
Found the Search Button

Mein Auto: 2007 E92 328i, 2014 i3
Hold Onto Your E9Xs...

...Looks like BMW won't be changing course from their woeful steering ways any time in the near future.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/steer-m...steering-feel/

I get the benefits of electric steering (I even have it on my i3), and I even think some cars are getting it close, but it doesn't appear BMW as a whole has the same priorities it used to.

Your E9X may be a keeper.
2000 ML430 - SOLD - heavily modded, I miss that truck
Advertisement
Old 07-22-2016, 03:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 335is, 2015 X1
Agreed. I read the article a few days ago and came to the same conclusion.

BMW 335is, Cobb tune with VRSF intercooler, Injen CAI, and BMS downpipes. 382/414 rwhp/tq. Le Mans blue with Black Dakota leather, Convenience and Premium packages, 19" wheels, 7 speed DCT, heated seats, Nav., Harmon Kardon Logic 7 stereo w/ Satellite radio. 2015 BMW X1 28iXdrive M Sport, LeMans Blue, with Black Dakota leather, Premium and Technology packages, with heated seats, satellite radio.
Old 07-22-2016, 03:33 PM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
Looks like they are shooting for the perfect

Looks like they are shooting for the perfect Toyota Camry.
But much more expensive.
Old 07-22-2016, 04:50 PM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi 4dr; '03 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by bocabimmer View Post
For a multitude of reasons I have no plans to ever part with it--this is definitely one of them. Same with the E46 coupe, though I am slightly less attached to that one.

N47 35' 30.13" E11 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA
Old 07-24-2016, 06:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
They should learn from Mazda. They may have no go, but their electronic steering is close to perfect. My wife has a CX5 and my younger son a 3 and these cars are a blast to drive. Also I doubt with so much riding on the new G20 that this issue won't be put to bed.

2011 328xi. Space Grey, Beige Dakota Leather, Premium pkg., Value pkg., NAV, SAT, Heated SW, Steptronic,
Old 07-25-2016, 02:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3284me View Post
They should learn from Mazda. They may have no go, but their electronic steering is close to perfect. My wife has a CX5 and my younger son a 3 and these cars are a blast to drive. Also I doubt with so much riding on the new G20 that this issue won't be put to bed.
Seriously. At this point, my next dream car is a Miata. (not that it's a bad thing...)

But I've driven the last few generations of Mazda3's, and they've all been great. I think they've had electronic steering for at least the last two generations if not 3.
Old 07-25-2016, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wongway View Post
Seriously. At this point, my next dream car is a Miata. (not that it's a bad thing...)

But I've driven the last few generations of Mazda3's, and they've all been great. I think they've had electronic steering for at least the last two generations if not 3.
Have you seen the MX 5 RF fastback Miata that will be out in a few months, beautiful car indeed.

2011 328xi. Space Grey, Beige Dakota Leather, Premium pkg., Value pkg., NAV, SAT, Heated SW, Steptronic,
Old 07-25-2016, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3284me View Post
Have you seen the MX 5 RF fastback Miata that will be out in a few months, beautiful car indeed.
I have my eye on one of these myself. With my family getting old enough to head off to college and move out (at least for the first time) my wife is ready to move on from the SUV/SAV, Dodge Durango and X1, to a smaller more fun vehicle. She has always wanted a convertible, but she is not a fan of soft tops so it has always limited the cars I could look at. I had a Z4 in the past and she liked that, and that was on my list again, but this new Mazda may be a better choice for someone like her that doesn't really require high performance.

BMW 335is, Cobb tune with VRSF intercooler, Injen CAI, and BMS downpipes. 382/414 rwhp/tq. Le Mans blue with Black Dakota leather, Convenience and Premium packages, 19" wheels, 7 speed DCT, heated seats, Nav., Harmon Kardon Logic 7 stereo w/ Satellite radio. 2015 BMW X1 28iXdrive M Sport, LeMans Blue, with Black Dakota leather, Premium and Technology packages, with heated seats, satellite radio.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bocabimmer View Post

Bocabimmer, go test drive a Cadillac ATS or a Porsche Cayman if you want the best steering feel you can get. Cadillac is the new ultimate driving machine.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdboss View Post
Bocabimmer, go test drive a Cadillac ATS or a Porsche Cayman if you want the best steering feel you can get. Cadillac is the new ultimate driving machine.
Until Cadillac does something with the design of their headlights I wouldn't even consider them. And as much as I tried to like Porsche, I just can't. They have had a similar design for 40+ years now and I just don't like it.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkind62 View Post
Until Cadillac does something with the design of their headlights I wouldn't even consider them. And as much as I tried to like Porsche, I just can't. They have had a similar design for 40+ years now and I just don't like it.
I like the headlamps. Have you looked at the Kona Brown interior of the CTS? Dark open pore wood accents, with alcantara inserts, an alcantara headliner and supple brown leather. I sat in one at our local auto show, and it was by far the best interior I have ever sat in.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/g...-Sedan-026.jpg
Old 07-25-2016, 07:46 AM

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...-and-info-news

It's a fantastic visual trick. Like the looks a lot. Personally, just wondering how it will age.

One of the things that makes the Mazda appealing at the moment, is thinking that over the long term, it retains most of the positives of driving an E90 or E46 but generally easier to maintain.

It's the long term maintenance that tends to turn me off from something like a Porsche. I get why people might not like Porsche, but I care less about the exterior design as compared to being able to stay behind the wheel on a consistent level.

I might wait another generation to see if Cadillac improves the interior and general build quality of the ATS. I've somewhat liked the ATS, and the previous generation CTS-V, however, I've seen some really horrible build quality stories of them to make me wonder if I want to chance it. As much as I dislike the long term maintenance of a BMW, most of the time, I've found their choice of parts are acceptably robust.

An aquaintance's experience with their CTS4...
Quote:
I can't remember the exact number, but I would guess it's been back for repair work at least 25 times in 36 months. Brakes are a constant issue with warped rotors (not covered under warranty). The sunroof has been problematic with the seals coming undone. The radio has been replaced twice. The transmission starts to slip and shift poorly and needs to be reprogrammed about every 90 days. There are several places in the interior where the leather has simply worn away (not covered under warranty). The steering wheel started squawking when you turn it and the mechanic said it was normal and they all do that. Whaaaat? Did he seriously just say that? I had to rudely insist that they do whatever they need to do to fix it. They ended up replacing the entire steering column. A couple months ago the rear wheel hub started grinding and needed replaced and now the other one is making noise. The key got stuck in the ignition switch and that had to be replaced. Its at the dealer now, the check engine light was on, and the TPM, ESC and ABS were all shut down due to failures.
While BMW isn't always free of these types of problems, I know pretty much every one of those issues would be replaced and fixed no questions asked in the time that they've had it (36 months and 52,000 miles) Many of those issues would never be a problem to begin with (very very few brake issues that I've ever come across with BMWs...)
Old 07-25-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdboss View Post
I like the headlamps. Have you looked at the Kona Brown interior of the CTS? Dark open pore wood accents, with alcantara inserts, an alcantara headliner and supple brown leather. I sat in one at our local auto show, and it was by far the best interior I have ever sat in.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/g...-Sedan-026.jpg
It does look nice, but if I don't like the exterior design then you will never get me into the car to even check it out. Even though my car is a 2011, I still look back at it when walking away because it is that good looking in my opinion. Cadillac and Porsche, I wouldn't even give them a second glance.

Old 07-25-2016, 01:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335xi
I will keep my E90, for a while. I picked up an E36 to really get that steering feel.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:14 PM

Quote:
It does look nice, but if I don't like the exterior design then you will never get me into the car to even check it out. Even though my car is a 2011, I still look back at it when walking away because it is that good looking in my opinion. Cadillac and Porsche, I wouldn't even give them a second glance.
Yeah, I like my E90 sedan but I really wish it was a turbocharged six and I also wish it was a coupe.

My interior needs work, it's a 2011 but the steering wheel leather is all the way worn and I have gone through two center armrests because the finish turned to goop and peeled off. My leather literally melted.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:29 AM

Quote:
+1 E90 still looks timeless.

Last edited by 3284me; 07-27-2016 at 02:57 AM.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:54 AM
Found the Search Button

Mein Auto: 2007 E92 328i, 2014 i3
At the end of the day, I'll buy whatever brand offers me a car I like. I've already switched from Mercedes to BMW. I'd probably look at the Cayman if my car were totaled and couldn't find a good E92 w/ manual. Until then, I really love my car and there's nothing out there that's making me want to make a change... and right now not a BMW with the steering the way it is.

The funny thing is, I get why they're doing what they're doing... I've been trying to be an "average consumer" driving the i3 and I see the appeal of turning without resistance and not feeling vibration in the wheel.

...But I'm done with that experiment and tomorrow the 328 comes out of the garage for its weekly run and I'll be very grateful to actually feel the road.
2000 ML430 - SOLD - heavily modded, I miss that truck
Old 07-26-2016, 12:52 PM

heh, don't get me wrong, I realize everyone's opinions of what they like visually are generally going to be different.

That said, I would think Porsche's looks almost have to fit the bill of being "timeless" since their general 'look' hasn't changed in decades. There's not a car in their lineup in generations that you can't immediately tell is a Porsche at first glance.
Old 07-27-2016, 02:17 PM

Mein Auto: E90 328 6MT / E36 M3
This is a bummer - man
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dude.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	571739  

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search