Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-16-2015, 11:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
Lowering spring kit or coil overs?

While I love my new (to me) 19" style 230 wheels and (225 35 R19, 255 30 R19) tires I think the car sits a bit tall and the fender gaps could be a bit tighter.

OK (CAL I'm looking at you matey), don't call me a poseur, I also want to improve the handling of my car as well.

Before anyone posts the ubiquitous "Use the search function moron!" response, I have spent the last two days pouring over the related posts and done a fair bit of online research.

I want to decide whether I should go with a lowering kit that consists of springs and shocks or a coil over package. I'm not planning on tracking Mein Liebling, but I do drive her pretty hard when the mood strikes.

I would like the opinions of people that have done one or the other and what they would recommend. Pictures would also be GREATLY appreciated.
Advertisement
Old 01-16-2015, 01:54 PM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
FSDs + OEM sport springs or any aftermarket lowering spring.

Unless you are tracking the car or just want to be able to adjust height, there is not point in getting coilovers.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 01-16-2015, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
FSDs + OEM sport springs or any aftermarket lowering spring.

Unless you are tracking the car or just want to be able to adjust height, there is not point in getting coilovers.
Hi Driller,

I thought about PM'ing you since I knew you had lowered your car. What set up did you use? How much did it drop your ride height? Are you tracking your car?

Can I see that picture of it in the "steady state" condition again?
Old 01-16-2015, 02:19 PM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BashedBarrique View Post
Hi Driller,

I thought about PM'ing you since I knew you had lowered your car. What set up did you use? How much did it drop your ride height? Are you tracking your car?

Can I see that picture of it in the "steady state" condition again?
I have H&R coilovers and M3 bits in the back with adjustable upper camber arms. I'm running an E93 M3 sway in the back and I had ordered a Whiteline 27mm front sway but after waiting for a couple months, I was informed they are still designing it. I have not been informed of an ETA for a release date.

I'm am pretty much at the lowest setting you can adjust the coilovers too. I can lower the front another 1/4" and the rear another 1" or so.

I still have to figure out a bushing for my front tension strut. I may just make a custom poly bushing if I can't find anything.

And yes I do track the car occasionally
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	H&R Installed August 2012.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	486951   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (2).jpg
Views:	40
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	486952   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07996c.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	486953  

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 01-16-2015, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post

I'm am pretty much at the lowest setting you can adjust the coilovers too. I can lower the front another 1/4" and the rear another 1" or so.
Thanks for the info driller.

I have seen kits that list drops from 0.75 inches to 2.0 inches. For reference, how much lower than stock is your set up in those pictures?
Old 01-16-2015, 09:34 PM
Reregistered User

Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:
OK (CAL I'm looking at you matey), don't call me a poseur, I also want to improve the handling of my car as well.

Eibach linear Sport springs with matching Koni Yellows will lower the car up to 3/4" lower than the factory Sport option. Lower center of gravity with performance parts do much to improve handling - night 'n' day really. My go-to vendors are Ground Control for their Street/School kit, and HP Autosport [Autowerks?] for M3 parts and their excellent bushing install tool rental.

That the above closes the wheel gap may please ya. Ground Control's kit includes height adjusters for all wheels - dial yer own! But be aware than as you go down, suspension adjustment moves toward limits, and the ride firms unless you change spring rates.

However. Lowering springs usually don't help ride quality - but matching springs/shocks as above improve the experience of your drive. Pothole explosions for instance are no more - BIG plus....

Last edited by CALWATERBOY DUE; 01-16-2015 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY DUE View Post
Eibach linear Sport springs with matching Koni Yellows will lower the car up to 3/4" lower than the factory Sport option. Lower center of gravity with performance parts do much to improve handling - night 'n' day really. My go-to vendors are Ground Control for their Street/School kit, and HP Autosport [Autowerks?] for M3 parts and their excellent bushing install tool rental.

That the above closes the wheel gap may please ya. Ground Control's kit includes height adjusters for all wheels - dial yer own! But be aware than as you go down, suspension adjustment moves toward limits, and the ride firms unless you change spring rates.

However. Lowering springs usually don't help ride quality - but matching springs/shocks as above improve the experience of your drive. Pothole explosions for instance are no more - BIG plus....

Thanks for the advice CAL. Would Koni FSD's be better than yellows?

P.S.

(After more reading of the link you so kindly supplied, I think I see the light!)

Last edited by BashedBarrique; 01-17-2015 at 12:04 AM. Reason: post script
Old 01-17-2015, 12:01 AM
Reregistered User

Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:
Thanks for the advice CAL. Would Koni FSD's be better than yellows?

The're designed for BMW Sport springs, so with them, would be diff not necessarily better. Depends on what you want - sa-mooth ride with very good handling or firmish ride with top drawer handling?
Old 01-17-2015, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY DUE View Post
The're designed for BMW Sport springs, so with them, would be diff not necessarily better. Depends on what you want - sa-mooth ride with very good handling or firmish ride with top drawer handling?
I'll go with "firmish ride with top drawer handling". I also like the idea of being able to adjust the ride height.