Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 04-14-2016, 12:39 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
What would you do

I have a 2007 335i with 120k miles on it. It's been a great car. Last week the SES light came on and I checked the code - p1028 - which I thought was not going to be a big deal. Brought it to my local indie who did some diagnosing and gave me some bad news. Basically the head gasket has failed. I have an oil leak that has gotten into my coolant system. He is recommending replacing the 2 oil cooler, the water pump, the head gasket, timing belt and a few other things. About 50 hours of work plus parts. Needless to say the final price tag is more than the car is worth.
Would you fix it and keep it forever?
Would you trade it in? With full transparency
Would you sell it? With full transparency
Would you DIY it?
Advertisement
Old 04-14-2016, 12:42 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via ICQ to Robin128
Mein Auto: 340i M Sport,Volvo T5 man
Timing belt?

One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by investlt View Post
I have a 2007 335i with 120k miles on it. It's been a great car. Last week the SES light came on and I checked the code - p1028 - which I thought was not going to be a big deal. Brought it to my local indie who did some diagnosing and gave me some bad news. Basically the head gasket has failed. I have an oil leak that has gotten into my coolant system. He is recommending replacing the 2 oil cooler, the water pump, the head gasket, timing belt and a few other things. About 50 hours of work plus parts. Needless to say the final price tag is more than the car is worth.
Would you DIY it?

By Gum, Christmas comes early in Boston!

Were it me, I'd investigate the need for each issue - mech should prove his case. Or is that 'preventative' maintenance?

[click on me]
- many answers revealed as you work your way through links.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:09 PM

Mein Auto: '09 E93 335i Monaco Blau
I'd get a second opinion.

"Mods": Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Smartop. Tune2Air WMA3000B. Lux H8 160 Angel Eyes. #sostockithurts
Old 04-14-2016, 01:13 PM

Sorry not timing belt; serpentine belt.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335is CAB w/DCT
The coolant system is a closed system. How could this happen?
Old 04-14-2016, 03:19 PM

Mein Auto: 330CI
I thought the car would just stop when there's leak on coolant system and not get into mixed oil.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:31 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Robin128
Mein Auto: 340i M Sport,Volvo T5 man
You bought ex demonstrator in 08...just curious...has a BMW main dealer been servicing it, have you modified it eg jb4 and how have you driven it?

Head gasket failure, assuming proper servicing, usually points to it being constantly thrashed.

Get another quote from another Indy to get it roadworthy again, bare minimum.

Have the usual weaknesses been addressed previously? Hpfp, water pump, injectors, turbos??

Whenever I have sold a car privately the buyer signs "Sold as seen without guarantee or warranty".

One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.

Last edited by Robin128; 04-14-2016 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-14-2016, 04:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07335 View Post
The coolant system is a closed system. How could this happen?
Coolant passages in the head. Must be a leak between passages that carry water and oil. Had a Mazda 626 many years ago where the head gasket failed between a cylinder and a water passage. The piston ended up pumping intake and exhaust pressure into the cooling system with each upstroke which pressurized it with gases. It would push coolant out of the overflow tank until the thermostat opened. After that, you'd hear air swishing through the heater core in the interior of the car. The head gasket keeps a lot of nasty things from happening by preventing things from mixing.
Old 04-14-2016, 04:51 PM
Retired

Mein Auto: 2009 E83 X3
Quote:
Would you DIY it?
I'd get a second opinion as this can happen from a leaking oil filter housing gasket or oil cooler gasket.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=779165&page=2
Old 04-14-2016, 06:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by R ODonnell View Post
I'd get a second opinion as this can happen from a leaking oil filter housing gasket or oil cooler gasket.

Yepper....when/if OP works through links he'll find the definitive test for busted head gaskets....as opposed to oil filter housing gaskets....oh yes oh yes oh yes!

Name:  Mechanic 01 [20].jpg
Views: 195
Size:  9.8 KB
Old 04-14-2016, 07:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i, 2004 X5 4.4L
Quote:
Would you DIY it?
50 hours? I would like to hear what takes that long?

http://repairpal.com/estimator/bmw/3...placement-cost

Last edited by Porando; 04-14-2016 at 07:35 PM.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin128 View Post
You bought ex demonstrator in 08...just curious...has a BMW main dealer been servicing it, have you modified it eg jb4 and how have you driven it?

Head gasket failure, assuming proper servicing, usually points to it being constantly thrashed.

Have the usual weaknesses been addressed previously? Hpfp, water pump, injectors, turbos??

Whenever I have sold a car privately the buyer signs "Sold as seen without guarantee or warranty".
Most all of my work was done by BMW Dealers (CT and MA); I have done simple things: brakes, oil changes, air & cabin filters, spark plugs.

Most of my driving has been highway for the past 6 years with the past 2 short local trips. The car has not been modified and I do not thrash the car - never used for AutoX or DE. I will read the other posts/links and find another independent wrench, might take it to where I get my track car serviced (SST in Danbury).
Old 04-17-2016, 06:36 AM

Mein Auto: 07 e91
yes, test each item as suggested above:

Head gasket: compression test will reveal issues
yes, ask first for a compression test or the results of a compression test if already performed....
(8-12 hrs for head gasket?)

Water Pump: tricky to test for longevity. you have 120 on the car...so if this has not been done yet...DO IT. they dont last much past 119!
(3-5 hrs?)

OFHG: can easily result in oil in coolant and vice versa
Serpentine belt, water pump, ect are maintenance items associated with the other work. (belt is way down on priority list, but also inexpensive)
(2 hrs?)

items in order of expense:

1) HG
2) WP
3) OFHG

would I do this myself..hmmm not all of it. though it is all a DIY based on your level of commitment, experience, facilities, ect.....?
I have done OFHG, waterpump, belt and tensioner, vanos refurb, brake booster air pump, transmission service (GM auto), plugs, coil packs, power steering reservoir, coolant flush, intake manifold gaskets, gas tank purge valve: Mostly time consuming but only semi involved procedures.....but that head gasket gives me pause....

JP

oh, regarding your initial error code: this code indicates a failed cooling pump or an issue in the cooling system... did the car every overheat???if so, this is why the head gasket may be in question. If you got a red cooling warning light, the car was already overheating....driving it at all could have resulted in a warped head, affecting the gasket.

PS got this from pelican parts:
When a coolant pump begins to fail, you'll notice that the car tends to overheat at low engine speed, such as sitting at a stoplight. When you accelerate, the engine temperature will drop. Now, this is not always indicative of a coolant pump failure, but a good starting point. You may also want to try squeezing the top radiator hose with the engine warmed up and running. You should feel pressure build up on the back of the hose and surge once it is released. If you feel no pressure, it's a fair bet that the coolant pump is failing. BMW updated E90 models with an electronic water pump. This means you may replace your coolant pump due to electrical failure. The most common problem with these pumps is a fault code for coolant pump volume. If you remove the water pump from your E90 and plan on reinstalling it, store it with coolant inside, otherwise it will corrode and fail shortly after reinstalling it. Always replace aluminum fasteners each time they are removed and never reinstall a questionable coolant hose.

This can be a tough part to change as it is tucked away and behind many components. I like to remove the radiator when I have to replace a water pump, it adds time to the job, but makes it a lot easier. If you have an all wheel drive E90 or one with active steering, you're going to have to remove the radiator anyway. So I say just go for it and make your life easier no matter which model you own.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07lilredwagon View Post
oh, regarding your initial error code: this code indicates a failed cooling pump or an issue in the cooling system... did the car every overheat???if so, this is why the head gasket may be in question. If you got a red cooling warning light, the car was already overheating....driving it at all could have resulted in a warped head, affecting the gasket.
The car has never over heated; never had a red warning light for cooling. Currently the car's temp is fine, stays within tolerance 210-230; where it has always been. Going to look today at the engine/hg/oil filter area to see where the leak may be.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5-M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin128 View Post

As long as you disclose all known issues to the buyer. If you do not they'll likely have a case against you to at least unwind the deal.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:00 AM

Omg! Is this a trusted Indy? If so, why was this not caught b4 hand? Maybe you haven't been to the mechanic in awhile, or maybe it's a new one, either way Definetly get 2nd and third opinion. 50+ hrs all at once. I can only imagine the bill. Also, if you follow what CalWater says things in your cars future may seem a little brighter, just sayin.. Happy Sabbath! ***55357;***56726;***55356;***57113;***55357;***56 726;
Old 04-17-2016, 12:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
Quote:
Would you DIY it?
We don't have timing belts. Head gasket failures are very rare on these cars. I would get a second opinion quick! I could see the oil housing gasket failing and possibly causing that on this car. He obviously doesn't know what he is doing and throwing everything at it.
Old 04-17-2016, 02:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
Quote:
The car has never over heated; never had a red warning light for cooling. Currently the car's temp is fine, stays within tolerance 210-230; where it has always been. Going to look today at the engine/hg/oil filter area to see where the leak may be.
The serpentine belt you can do yourself for $29. Most replace the tensioner as well at the same time ($60-$70 online). Your waterpump will just die. Doesn't give too much of a warning besides when it actually does fail. I had to replace mine a few months ago ($500 delivered from Tischer). When it goes your dashboard lights up and aux fan revs loudly.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 335is
Quote:
Would you DIY it?
I would take it to another dealer and get another quote. If similar then ask how much to get the SES light off and sell it.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:24 AM

Mein Auto: 07 e91
Quote:
That is good news investlt!.....
out of curiosity and slight concern.....I did a little research into how our cars determine (computer mapping) which temperature ranges the car should run at. Apparently there are up to 4 modes where the temp range will fluctuate anywhere from 195-230. (230 being an economy/fuel saving mode) ...cred to Blackhawk for his explanation of our cars cooling systems circa 2013.....

so perhaps giving the engine a good cleaning, and seeing where the oil is seeping from is indeed the next course of action. I started from the top-down (OFHG the likely culprit and head gasket 2nd, oil pan and rear main 3rd and 4th.)

good luck with it!

OH, the valve cover is also known for leaking either from the gasket, or a crack in the cover.

JP
Old 04-18-2016, 07:32 AM

Thanks JP (et al); will keep oyu all posted.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:12 AM

Mein Auto: 16 435 CV Msport PPK/335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by r odonnell View Post
i'd get a second opinion as this can happen from a leaking oil filter housing gasket or oil cooler gasket.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=779165&page=2
+1
Old 04-18-2016, 08:55 AM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Quote:
Would you DIY it?
Ask you mechanic if he did a compression test on the motor.

If he did not, you most likely do NOT have a blown head gasket

| LCI Msport Conversion | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | Custom Polyurethane Shore A90 Tension Strut Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | UUC Front Sway Bar | Custom Heim Joint Rear Control Arms | Apex ARC-8 | Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec | Modified Dinan Cold Air Intake | aFe Oiled Drop-in Filter | Custom Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 04-20-2016, 09:53 AM

Second shop does not believe it is a HG issue. They are going to replace the OFHG and flush my coolant.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search