Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 09-04-2014, 12:53 PM

Mein Auto: 09 335i w/ sports pkg
Tire choice- Potenza or Driveguard for 09 335i w/ sport

I have 4 Potenza RE050A RFT running and the rear are due any minute and I can't decide what to do.

I called Costco and the guy says that unless I am driving the track, I am gonna live with the new Driveguard instead of the Potenza. Driveguard is about $100/ea lower than the Potenza which is a good incentive. At the same time I want to hear other opinion in terms of handling and performance.

I noticed DGuard is all season unlike Potenza. How are they different exactly?

I am down in SoCal driving the 405 and PCH. Usually running 80 and passing on 405 whenever I can. Don't know if that matters.

Thanks guys!
Advertisement
Old 09-04-2014, 02:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
If you don't have snow or cold weather below 40 F, then there is no point in mounting all-seasons.

Personally, I would never mount all-seasons on my car. It is a comprise between performance and convenience.

I have 2 sets of wheels...one for summer and the other for winter, with snow tires.

The drivegaurds are a new tire and not many have tried them yet. Check tirerack maybe for reviews if any

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 09-05-2014, 05:41 AM

Mein Auto: 99 328i
I have been looking at replacement tires for a 335 sport suspension too. The Driveguard is really targeted at the familymobile, not a BMW sport suspension. Take a look at the Bridgestone RE960AS if you want an all season high performance RFT that fits your car. Costco doesn't list it online, but the tire center maybe able to order them for a good price. 't you are in SOCAL, I think you don't need AS tires. I ran my summer tires the first year I bought my car in the winter in the DC area. I was ok until I ran into an ice storm during evening commute and lost a lot of traction. But if you don't drive in snow or ice, you'll be fine. Just let the tires warm up below 50 degrees. If you look at the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 reviews, some owners claim they have had good results even in light snow. I wouldn't take that chance with the 3 series sport suspension because of the large contact patch of the tires, especially the rear tires and that affects grip too.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:05 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 335is, 2015 X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
if you don't have snow or cold weather below 40 f, then there is no point in mounting all-seasons.

Personally, i would never mount all-seasons on my car. It is a comprise between performance and convenience.

I have 2 sets of wheels...one for summer and the other for winter, with snow tires.

The drivegaurds are a new tire and not many have tried them yet. Check tirerack maybe for reviews if any
+1

BMW 335is, Le Mans blue with Black Dakota leather, Convenience and Premium packages, 19" wheels, 7 speed DCT, heated seats, Nav., Harmon Kardon Logic 7 stereo w/ Satellite radio. 2015 BMW X1 28iXdrive M Sport, LeMans Blue, with Black Dakota leather, Premium and Technology packages, with heated seats, satellite radio.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:14 AM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Michelin PS2 ZP (Zero Pressure, the new name for run-flats) if you want to stay with ZP tires, Michelin Pilot Super Sport if you want the best handling tire for your car.

We just ditched the PS2s on my wife's 335is Coupe for the PSS. Huge difference! Quieter, smoother, and much better handling. I have the PSS on my Z4 M Roadster.
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Old 09-06-2014, 01:20 PM

Mein Auto: 325i 2006
I think I am going to replace all 4 tires with the Bridgestone Drive-Guard RFT from Costco. The following is a recent review from TireRack.com website:

My OEM Continental ContiProContact SSR tires felt "hard", especially when I hit bumps or potholes. I honestly dreaded hitting these, and when I did, the entire car felt like I had hit a huge boulder in the road. So, I was desperate to find a "softer" feel run flat tire. The new DriveGuards had just come out, so I decided to buy them. I am EXTREMELY impressed !!! The ride is considerably softer on bumps and potholes, BUT the tires handle better than my old Contis. They corner so well, it's almost impossible for me to break them loose when cornering hard. They track very well at highway speeds. They also handle very well in wet weather. They are also very quiet. I used to get 27-28 mpg on long highway trips with the Contis; on a recent 900 mile trip with the new DriveGuards, I got an unbelievable 30.3 mpg !!! No question in my mind that these are the best run flat tires available, probably because Bridgestone has designed them with the latest technologies and materials. I highly recommend them !!!!!
Old 09-07-2014, 08:16 AM

Mein Auto: 335D
it is your choice....

However, the most important part of your car is the tires. They are the difference between handling and safety. If you "save" money now, I guarantee you will regret it. The RFT provide stability in sidewall in all circumstances. If you go less expensive, the first time you drive the HWY and make lane changes, you will feel the loss of straightline stability - and regret the decision.

However, since you didnt tell us your age, demo, driving style...we are at a loss...All you mentioned was a need/desire to save money. If you are a grandma, buy the tires that some schnook from COSTCO is selling. Or read some expert reviews online from TireRack, C&D, R&T etc and realize the best thing to do is get high quality tires. You wont believe me till you make the cheap short term mistake and have to wait 2 years to wear them out. A long two years!
Old 09-07-2014, 05:17 PM

I am 45 and drive responsibly. I like the way my Continentals stick to ground but wanted to see recommendations on the Bridgestone DriveGuard RFT. I live in the Washington DC region and drive mostly in dry or wet conditions with the occasional snow/ice mix. I am currently running plus 1 size which seem a bit noisy. Recommendations on plus 1 vs OEM size would also be Appreciated. Am I really gaining anything with them?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-07-2014, 05:57 PM

RFT+ - additional thoughts

The RFT also add some strength against potholes. While the car is sportier/stiffer, that is bc the sidewalls are. These sidewalls also provide added help against potholes and bruised tires. I went to non RFT and found the car to be a bit looser (noticeably). As well, the same roads lead to replacing 2 of 4 non-RF due to their inability to withstand potholes.

I will have to wait till these are used up and return to the stiffer RFT as I prefer the stiffer ride, the protection and the better handling. This is my POV and 2 cents - others may contradict.

IN hindsight, the $250-350 extra - over the course of 2 years is money well spent...I should have gotten them myself and stayed true to teh ones BMW set the car up with.

I am 45 - drive to NYC frequently as I live in N Westchester.
Old 09-07-2014, 06:42 PM

Tire choice- Potenza or Driveguard for 09 335i w/ sport

Agree on all points. So RFT are recommended. How about thoughts on Bridgestone DriveGuard RFT brand and thoughts on plus size? At Costco I can get for about $155 each installed vs $200 plus for Conti RFT.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by kwilson792; 09-07-2014 at 06:43 PM.
Old 09-07-2014, 06:54 PM

Either one could work - I personally switch tires for the winter as we do not have a 4wd so we must have snow tires onour car for that rare instance it snows.
We dont head out in the snow bc of the "other" drivers...not for our own fear of our car. We wait a day till the roads are plowed.

That said, I think you should consider the Potenzas but I do know they are more money. But again, that is because I switch to true winter tires and like to have higher performance than all seasons.

That is more a choice for you to make. I hope this helps.