Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-05-2010, 08:58 AM

Mein Auto: 330i
Making a decision on Tires

I'm so confused. 2006 330i...need new tires. I have almost decided NOT to get Runflats. Dealer person suggested I might try to find an X3 spare through salvage yards. I'm not totally comfortable running non runflats without a spare.
Guys would you want your wife or daughter to do this? I know you can get roadside service, but what about the worst case scenario situation...?

If Runflats are simpler, then which one. Tire noise is a problem already and the ride is hard. I'm really wanting to improve the feel and ride of the car.

I'm in FL USA so winter weather is not a problem...however rain here is a concern...it can really come down fast..
I really need new tires and cannot pull the trigger on this decision. Your help is appreciated. I know this is not a new questions...but it is for me.
So in summary:
I'm a new BMW owner.
If runflats...which one?
If not...what tire do you rec?
how do you handle the "spare tire issue"?
Thanks!
VMG

Last edited by VMGinfl; 02-07-2010 at 07:51 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-05-2010, 09:31 AM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
x3 spare will NOT fit. waaay too tall.
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 02-05-2010, 09:54 AM

Mein Auto: 335i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMGinfl View Post
Guys would you want your wife or daughter to do this? I know you can get roadside servie, but what about the worst case scenario situation...?
Our BMW is my wife's car. Even without a worse case senario, I couldn't see not having a spare. Who wants to hang around for roadside assistance, and even then, what are they going to do, tow you to a tire shop? If you drive on the runflat for very long, you will ruin it. Unless the tire is pretty new, that means you have to buy two tires under adverse buying circumstances, that is - no choice. You buy from the tire shop you were towed to.

The downsides to having a spare? It takes up space and you cannot drive on a flat very far without ruining it. Some say that the spring rates in the suspension assume in the stiffer sidewalls of the runflats. I can't comment on that because ours no longer has the OEM suspension, but I doubt it is a significant difference. You have to remember to put air in the spare, I guess that is a downside.

It was a really easy choice for me. I bought the Tischler kit.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
x3 spare will NOT fit. waaay too tall.
I thank you for that info. I just spent an hour or so trying to digest all the information on this thread. Apologies for not doing that before asking the question. I just found this site after debating RFT or nonRFT and trying to find info from BMW and dealer for the last 4 weeks...this is such a relief to find ALL this right here.

So I'll just ask...will the Tischer kit fit my 2006 330i? and is it still available?

I had pretty much decided on the Michelin Pilot a/s 225/45/17. Any comments on this idea.
thanks. You are a patient man...
Vicki
Old 02-07-2010, 07:56 PM
Flying monkey herder

yup, look on http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462

i drove on it on the rear (drive) axle of my car for 300 miles, no issues.

should fit a 330i fine, the biggest issue is brake clearance, and the 330i has smaller brakes than the 335i

Last edited by Orient330iNYC; 02-07-2010 at 07:59 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 E92; '07Lexus GS350
I, like others, apologize for not reading all posts on this thread. My question is, does Tischer have a spare wheel/tire kit which is appropriate for my soon-to-be delivered 328 Coupe with the standard 17" wheels/tires? I e-mailed them, and they listed a kit which was described as fitting an E60/61 5 series.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:30 PM

Mein Auto: '09 E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lufthansa View Post
I, like others, apologize for not reading all posts on this thread. My question is, does Tischer have a spare wheel/tire kit which is appropriate for my soon-to-be delivered 328 Coupe with the standard 17" wheels/tires? I e-mailed them, and they listed a kit which was described as fitting an E60/61 5 series.
I have one of Tischer's spares and it fits my E92.

Last edited by SGCoupe; 02-13-2010 at 02:11 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:22 PM

Thank You! I'm getting new tires and a spare...no more RF!!! This thread really helped.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:15 PM

Mein Auto: 325 bmw convertible
Quote:
I know the leather-Z kit has been out for a while. it just never sat right with me that a) it was almost 400 for the kit that fit the 335i ( tire + tools + spacer & bolts)
b) you needed to use a 15mm spacer to get it to work.

digging through the ETK, it looks like the leather-z spare is the spare from the E46 cab.
3.50BX17 ET:30

a little more digging shows that the E60 550i uses front brake rotors the same size (348mm) and thickness as the 335i. brake calipers look to be of approximate same size.

the compact spare for the 550i is:
4BX17 ET:18

the offset is close to that of the E46 spare plus spacer-- ET 15 for the E46 spare wheel + spacer vs ET 18

now the fun part. BMW sells a retrofit spare kit for the E60. it includes:

the wheel +tire diameter is within 2% of stock tires.

total price from tischer BMW, for the whole retrofit kit listed above, before shipping, is $239.

I've ordered up a set, will keep everyone posted as to if it works. if it doesnt, i have a new flower planter. if it does, a spare that works without having to deal with the spacer, and for a lower price.
Let me know if this worked on your 330i as a spare? I am getting ready to purchase one. My husband found a wheel and tire in a junkyard that fit but not with the brake caliper in the way. The lug confuguration was the same but he is not sure if it will fit if turned around the other way.

Please let me know if you bought this from Tischer and if it worked.
thanks
Old 02-17-2010, 12:22 PM
Your #1 BMW Part Source

Send a message via AIM to TischerBMW
Mein Auto: BMW
Since BMW no longer offers the 36110308889 kit, we reassembled it and run it on special in the Misc Specials section of our BMW Accessories/Specials catalog here!

OEM BMW E60 5 Series Emergency Wheel/Tire Set. Set includes space saver wheel and tire (NOT mounted/balanced), oddments tray, articulated car jack, jack crank, wedge, and bracket. *This set ships at a 50.00 flatrate within the US. **Using this wheel/tire set on any other vehicle than an E60/61 5 Series is at your own risk. ***The BMW trunk cargo net is also available on special and goes nicely with this set.

Click Here for a direct link!

Email getHelp@getBMWparts.com AIM: Evan at Tischer
Follow us on: FaceBook | Twitter | YouTube
Old 02-18-2010, 12:25 PM

Mein Auto: 335
Where can i get the cargo net/tire tote?
Old 02-24-2010, 08:15 PM

I just ordered the kit from Tisher. I plan on going through "changing a tire" once I get it mounted. Probably good practice for me... in case I need to do it on my own. Rather test it in a nice dry garage instead of a rainy road.
I also found out that a few tire places won't sell me anything BUT RF's unless I can show them a spare in the trunk...Costco and Firestone (corporate policy).

I'll post if I run into any problems...or even positive comments.
Thanks to everyone contributing.

Last edited by VMGinfl; 02-24-2010 at 08:16 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-26-2010, 04:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 E90 335
Quote:
I just ordered the kit from Tisher. I plan on going through "changing a tire" once I get it mounted. Probably good practice for me... in case I need to do it on my own. Rather test it in a nice dry garage instead of a rainy road.
I also found out that a few tire places won't sell me anything BUT RF's unless I can show them a spare in the trunk...Costco and Firestone (corporate policy).
I too read through the whole thread, and others, and learned a lot. The results: just got a CPO 2007 335 Sport and did not want run flats, no way, no how. I was able to negotiate with the dealer to certify the car and then take the RFTs off (giving me a credit) and install my own tires. Called Tire Rack and had them ship new tires (Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1s) directly to the dealer who mounted and balanced them for free.

Picked up the car, drove to Tischer (I am local) and picked up the spare tire kit. Drove to my tire installer, had them mount and balance the donut, swap the Direzzas for a set of Michelin Pilot Alpins (also from Tire Rack and installed on a second set of wheels), and drove home. I added the BMW cargo net and a cheap tire cover and am carrying the donut in the trunk.

Haven't tried to install the donut yet but when the weather warms up, I'll put the donut on to test it, then will install the Direzzas myself and will happily drive my 335, sans RFTs, off into the sunset.

Tire Rack was great as was Tischer and the information on the thread allowed me to pull it all off. Best of all, I was able to do the whole set up (4 summer tires, 4 winter tires, and the spare tire kit) for about the cost of five RFTs!
Old 02-27-2010, 12:02 PM

Finally new tires...done.

I FINALLY can cross "new tires" off my to do list thanks to everyone here. I got the tires from Costco..Michelin Pilot Sport A/S plus. I can't believe what a difference these tires make to the whole driving experience. I did not realize how bad it was.

Tischer shipped the spare and I showed the order paperwork to Costco to prove that I was getting a spare. No problem, as long as their tail was covered. They also offered a $70.00 coupon when purchasing 4 Michelins.

I only have ONE ISSUE left. I drove away and shortly a BMW warning showed up on the dash. It looks like a section thru a tire with an "!". Took it back to Costco and they said it would reset on its own after driving for awhile. Anyone got any suggestions....from experience?
Old 02-27-2010, 12:04 PM

CArgo Net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongmad View Post
Where can i get the cargo net/tire tote?
I saw that Tischer offers a Cargo net. I have one left from my Jeep that i will try to make use of. You might try an Auto parts store.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:07 PM

By the way, I have to send kudos to Tischer customer service. I emailed them with questions and they were very helpful. I would highly recommend them. My order shipped within 2-3 days of ordering and is on its way.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:38 PM
Flying monkey herder

Quote:
I FINALLY can cross "new tires" off my to do list thanks to everyone here. I got the tires from Costco..Michelin Pilot Sport A/S plus. I can't believe what a difference these tires make to the whole driving experience. I did not realize how bad it was.

Tischer shipped the spare and I showed the order paperwork to Costco to prove that I was getting a spare. No problem, as long as their tail was covered. They also offered a $70.00 coupon when purchasing 4 Michelins.

I only have ONE ISSUE left. I drove away and shortly a BMW warning showed up on the dash. It looks like a section thru a tire with an "!". Took it back to Costco and they said it would reset on its own after driving for awhile. Anyone got any suggestions....from experience?
use idrive or the stalk to put the tpms system into reset mode then drive around till the light goes out (assuming the pressure is correct)
Old 02-27-2010, 05:00 PM

Thanks...now if I could just translate that I would do it. I'm off to read the owners manual.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:47 AM
Waiting for the d

Mein Auto: '10 335d
What would be the best way to securely mount the spare if your 2010 didn't come with any cargo hooks?

'10 335d Monaco blue/oyster/SP/PP/Enhanced Premium Sound/nav from phillipek SBBMW
Click Here for Pics!
Old 03-04-2010, 09:27 PM
Confessed Bimmer Fanatic

Mein Auto: 2008 M5
Potentially dumb question alert: Other than size and weight differences (i.e., in hauling in your trunk and mounting on the car), for those of us with separate Winter wheels and tires, wouldn't it make since to use a Winter wheel/tire as our spare? The size and weight difference might become an issue if it's in the trunk 24/7, but I figured I could get by with BMW Assist in town, and only take the Winter wheel/tire as a spare when I'm traveling out of town. I know, I probably need my trunk space more on out-of-town trips than daily driving, but I'm a light packer.

E92 335i - 6 Spd | Black Sapphire | Saddle | Burl Walnut | Premium | Sport | Nav | Comfort | Heated Seats | PDC | Rear Sunshade | iPOD [Retired]

E53 X5 4.4i - Highland Green | Truffle | Burl Walnut | Premium | Sport | PDC | Cold Weather | Heated Steering Wheel | Rear Climate | Sirius | Hitch [Retired]

E36 540i - Black | Burl Walnut | Premium | PDC | Cold Weather | Heated Steering Wheel | Rear Sunshade [Retired]
Old 03-04-2010, 09:30 PM
Flying monkey herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK8 View Post
Potentially dumb question alert: Other than size and weight differences (i.e., in hauling in your trunk and mounting on the car), for those of us with separate Winter wheels and tires, wouldn't it make since to use a Winter wheel/tire as our spare? The size and weight difference might become an issue if it's in the trunk 24/7, but I figured I could get by with BMW Assist in town, and only take the Winter wheel/tire as a spare when I'm traveling out of town. I know, I probably need my trunk space more on out-of-town trips than daily driving, but I'm a light packer.
this would definitely work, but you'll lose quite a bit of space.

i actually use the compact spare around town and trips less than 250 miles
longer trips i take the full sized spare, a 17X8 wheel with a 235/45/17" all season tire. i cant fit much else in the trunk with the full sized one
Old 03-05-2010, 08:15 AM
Confessed Bimmer Fanatic

Mein Auto: 2008 M5
Quote:
this would definitely work, but you'll lose quite a bit of space.

i actually use the compact spare around town and trips less than 250 miles
longer trips i take the full sized spare, a 17X8 wheel with a 235/45/17" all season tire. i cant fit much else in the trunk with the full sized one
Makes sense.

E92 335i - 6 Spd | Black Sapphire | Saddle | Burl Walnut | Premium | Sport | Nav | Comfort | Heated Seats | PDC | Rear Sunshade | iPOD [Retired]

E53 X5 4.4i - Highland Green | Truffle | Burl Walnut | Premium | Sport | PDC | Cold Weather | Heated Steering Wheel | Rear Climate | Sirius | Hitch [Retired]

E36 540i - Black | Burl Walnut | Premium | PDC | Cold Weather | Heated Steering Wheel | Rear Sunshade [Retired]
Old 03-09-2010, 06:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 328i xDrive
Hi,

Will the Tischer kit fit on a 2010 328 xDrive with the Sports Package?

I'm picking up my car next week and all the RFT threads have me freaked out!

Thanks,
JC

Last edited by joelc73; 03-10-2010 at 06:04 AM.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:01 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Guys / Gals,

What is this?

http://www.pressportal.com.au/news/1...009-03-01.html

Is this the same as the kit mentioned in the posts or is it something which actually will go under the trunk floor?
Old 03-18-2010, 09:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 S4
That article is a year old and still no hole in the trunk to put a donut. I like the wording "small group of owners". I get the RFT idea but either make sure that RFT tires are widely available so that if I am away on a vacation 500 miles from home don't have to wait 3 damn days for a special tire order or provide the hole in the car.

I had a '94 300ZX 10 years ago and it came with an inflatable spare donut. It shrunk to little over the size of the 15" rim it came with. By the time I dismount the flat it was inflated by my small electric pump. What a brilliant idea.