Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-12-2010, 10:41 PM

Mein Auto: 328ci
Thanks Orient330iNYC, what a great thread! took me a while to read, really appreciate what you've done here.

I've just got the 2011 328i Coupe, w/o sport package, all tires are standard 225/45/17. The Tischer spare kit should fit great, right?
Old 10-13-2010, 01:36 AM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi_bf View Post
Thanks Orient330iNYC, what a great thread! took me a while to read, really appreciate what you've done here.

I've just got the 2011 328i Coupe, w/o sport package, all tires are standard 225/45/17. The Tischer spare kit should fit great, right?
yup, should fit just fine
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 10-13-2010, 01:53 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
yup, should fit just fine
Old 10-13-2010, 02:11 PM

Mein Auto: '09 E92
I especially liked the spare wheel hammock in this thread.

Last edited by SGCoupe; 10-13-2010 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGCoupe View Post
me too! very tidy. Thanks for the hammock and cover idea. Already ordered these
Old 10-26-2010, 02:51 PM

Mein Auto: 335i Cabriolet
Hi everyone,

I am just recently in the process of picking up a 335i Cabriolet equipped with 19" Rims and the Bridgestone RFT's. Needless to say, I am not all the impressed with the idea of Run Flats, even before I have had my vehicle delivered to me. My question is 2 fold:

1) Would anyone know whether or not I can outfit my 19" RFT Wheels with non-RFT's? and if so - which tire would you recommend?
2) With respect to having a spare tire - will this Tischer package + spare fit in the trunk of a 335i Cab? Has anyone tried this yet?

Many thanks in advance,
Old 10-28-2010, 11:24 AM

Mein Auto: 330i
Tischer warning

A warning to those considering ordering the spare kit from Tischer/getBMWparts.com...the shipping is $50 and, in my opinion, misleading.

I ordered the kit the other day, and noticed in the detailed description (fine print) that '*This set ships at a 50.00 flatrate within the US.'. However, at checkout the shipping was listed as $14.95. I submitted my billing info and checked out - again shipping was listed at $14.95. Same thing on the order confirmation/invoice that arrived minutes later. Hmm, I thought...good, they've adjusted what seemed to be an abnormally high rate for shipping.

Two days later I received the shipping confirmation, only to find the shipping cost was now listed as $54.95.

I asked them in an e-mail which charge is correct, and was told $50 (actually $54.95). They claimed they couldn't accurately represent the shipping cost at checkout because "the software we use is very generic and limited". Nonsense, I say. If you can't accurately represent it don't sell it...either that, or build the difference into the base cost. You certainly can't present one figure at checkout, send an order confirmation...then add on another $40 2 days later when it ships.

I know others have had a good experience with Tischer, but this has left a very sour taste.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:00 AM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 74R90S View Post
A warning to those considering ordering the spare kit from Tischer/getBMWparts.com...the shipping is $50 and, in my opinion, misleading.

I ordered the kit the other day, and noticed in the detailed description (fine print) that '*This set ships at a 50.00 flatrate within the US.'. However, at checkout the shipping was listed as $14.95. I submitted my billing info and checked out - again shipping was listed at $14.95. Same thing on the order confirmation/invoice that arrived minutes later. Hmm, I thought...good, they've adjusted what seemed to be an abnormally high rate for shipping.

Two days later I received the shipping confirmation, only to find the shipping cost was now listed as $54.95.

I asked them in an e-mail which charge is correct, and was told $50 (actually $54.95). They claimed they couldn't accurately represent the shipping cost at checkout because "the software we use is very generic and limited". Nonsense, I say. If you can't accurately represent it don't sell it...either that, or build the difference into the base cost. You certainly can't present one figure at checkout, send an order confirmation...then add on another $40 2 days later when it ships.

I know others have had a good experience with Tischer, but this has left a very sour taste.
It shouldn't. This process is clearly explained on the product page and again when checking out. It says the shipping total will be incorrect and updated to $50 once the order is processed. I just ordered the kit 2 weeks ago, it just shipped, and I knew exactly what the final price was going to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 10-29-2010, 06:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 335xi Sedan
So is it $50 or $55 for shipping? I see the $50 indicated, but if the bill is over $325 shipped, that's not cool.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:00 AM
Here comes trouble!

My final is $329.95. There is a $4.95 handling fee, which was not shown on the page (but did show up during checkout). I am sure had I read the FAQs it would have said it in there.

Quote:
Old 10-29-2010, 07:02 AM

Am I the only one that thinks $330 for a freakin' spare is absurd? The damn thing should have been included to begin with. What next, charging for the right side rear-view mirror?
Old 10-29-2010, 07:10 AM
Here comes trouble!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpr80 View Post
Am I the only one that thinks $330 for a freakin' spare is absurd? The damn thing should have been included to begin with. What next, charging for the right side rear-view mirror?
With the RFTs, the spare is not considered necessary. RFTs are more expensive to put on the car than regular tires, so keeping the spare out of the car offsets that cost.

The $330 actually is not just the spare but also the tool kit and jack required to install it. It's still a steep price, I agree. However, I plan to switch to non RFTs, which is why I am purchasing the spare. Even with the cost of the spare and the 4 non RFTs together, I am still saving over putting another set of Bridgestone RFTs on and will continue to save with every subsequent tire purchase.

My biggest gripe is that there is no proper spot to put the spare.

Quote:
Old 10-29-2010, 07:12 AM

On top of all that, why is it that RFT's are an option on some cars, but not others? My 335i had no choice, but my friend who's picking up a 328i could choose not to get the RFTs.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:16 AM
Here comes trouble!

Quote:
On top of all that, why is it that RFT's are an option on some cars, but not others? My 335i had no choice, but my friend who's picking up a 328i could choose not to get the RFTs.
Really? That'd be news to me but I have not kept up with option choices for my purchase. When I bought, it was not a choice. I believe, in Germany and most of Europe the RFTs are an option.

Did your friend's car come with a spare then? If not, my guess is he just made it part of the deal to get different tires upon delivery, which wouldn't be uncommon.

Quote:
Old 10-29-2010, 07:22 AM

Unfortunately, he thought it was a good idea to get the RFT's so I am not sure about the spare. But when he was ordering the car, that was definitely an option that he chose.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:59 AM
humanum est errare

Mein Auto: which day is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 74R90S View Post

I also ordered this week and noticed the same thing you did. $50 shipping on the product page and $15 at check out. I figured the latter was a mistake and if I got lucky and ended up paying that price, it would be gravy but was fully prepared to pay the shipping cost shown on the product page. Everyone has a different perspective.

David

2004 e83 3.0, 2003.5 e46 M3 Cic, 2008 e9x 335xia, 2008 Sienna XLE Limted AWD
========================
Gone: 2006 B7 A4, 2003 Honda Pilot EX-L RES
Old 11-02-2010, 08:12 AM
Your #1 BMW Part Source

Send a message via AIM to TischerBMW
Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
I also ordered this week and noticed the same thing you did. $50 shipping on the product page and $15 at check out. I figured the latter was a mistake and if I got lucky and ended up paying that price, it would be gravy but was fully prepared to pay the shipping cost shown on the product page. Everyone has a different perspective.
Hi guys! Just to clarify...we clearly note these ship at a 50.00 flatrate in the descriptions of this special on our site and during the checkout process - and there's even a box the customer must check stating they've read and understood our shipping policies before being permitted to complete checkout. (please: if you dont read or agree to it, don't complete checkout)

It's true, our software is very generic, and it can only show our standard-sized shipment flatrate shipping charges up front; and for this reason we post our special flatrates in the descriptions of the items that have them, and also in the pre-calculated flatrate table in our shipping policy here.

The last thing we want to do is confuse anyone, and we make the best out of the software our company utilizes. When our site states an item ships for x amount in the descriptions of that item, it's going to ship at that amount, so please read the information we present to avoid any confusion. If you're ever unsure or have questions, please contact us directly via email (gethelp@getbmwparts.com), pm on this forum (or all of the other ones we are on), or via instant message via AIM (screen names Jason at Tischer and Evan at Tischer)....we are here to help!

Thanks!

Also, just an update: these kits are now back in stock since being on backorder for the past few weeks!

Email getHelp@getBMWparts.com AIM: Evan at Tischer
Follow us on: FaceBook | Twitter

Last edited by TischerBMW; 11-02-2010 at 08:16 AM.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 35
I apologize if this has already been covered; I may have missed it... Will this kit work for AWD xi models as well as RWD? I assume tire diameter discrepancies may be more critical in xi systems. Also, since I have not yet sourced out my 335xi yet, I don't yet know if it will have 17" or 18" tires. Will this kit work for both?? Thanks so much!
Old 11-09-2010, 10:29 AM

Looked into this myself, here is what I found.

It WILL work for AWD, just the same as RWD.
No matter whether you get 17" or 18", the diameter of the wheels will be VERY close so this spare works just fine. The 17"s will have 45 profile fatter tires and the 18"s will have 40 profile thinner, but the overall size and diameter will be very close.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:02 PM

Mein Auto: N/A
Thanks to everyone who posted in the thread and the wonderful information you've all put together. I was ready to purchase a 2011 335d today, when my better half decided to look in the trunk to see the space. in the process we lifted the trunk mat expecting to see the size of the spear and realized the space was covered with a black metal and no spear tire. Why would they cover the spear tire hole and make it unusable? The sales person kept repeating performance blah blah and BMW assist yada yada, without really explaining why the car didn't have a spare and could leave me in the middle of nowwhere waiting for a tow, instead of just changing the tire. I am a tad flummoxed at this point and seriously looking at whether I should move forward with the purchase.

Btw, i found the site two weeks ago searching for feedback and ED Delivery. I just found the sticky thanks to search as this is my first time in the 3 series forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schatzie View Post
Thanks so much Orient for this thread. Got mine from Tischer. Mounted it and test fitted it and test drove it. Works great. Just in time for me. I got a couple of long trips coming up within the next two weeks. Hopefully I won't need to use it, but great to know it's there. I never felt comfortable not having even when I had the runflats.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:05 PM

Mein Auto: 335is Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGCoupe View Post
A word of caution. If the spare tire is not properly secured it will become a missile hazard in an accident that rapidly decelerates the vehicle. From its appearance I don't think that hammock is safe. What you need to do is strap down the spare using very strong belts capable of withstanding high g forces.

Just my thoughts on this issue.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBinDC View Post
A word of caution. If the spare tire is not properly secured it will become a missile hazard in an accident that rapidly decelerates the vehicle. From its appearance I don't think that hammock is safe. What you need to do is strap down the spare using very strong belts capable of withstanding high g forces.

Just my thoughts on this issue.
Don't you think the OEM cargo net is strong enough for the spare tire in this setup?

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...&postcount=297
Old 11-12-2010, 10:26 AM

Mein Auto: 335is Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi_bf View Post
Don't you think the OEM cargo net is strong enough for the spare tire in this setup?

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...&postcount=297
It might be if it's a bag that holds the donut, rather than just a net covering it. It also depends on how strong the mesh is. finally, the attachment points must be strong enough to hold the bag and contents from flying forward in the event of an abrupt stop.

Most cargo nets are not designed to withstand high-g (e.g. 50 to 100 g) forces that occur in a front-end collision. I have a cargo net in the trunk of my Lexus and it can't even hold a bottle of water upright.

There are photos elsewhere on this forum that show the donut tire secured with with nylon straps. That's the way I am planning to go but a cargo BAG that fully encloses the tire might work too.

Last edited by RBinDC; 11-12-2010 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Revised logic.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:09 PM

man your guys are paranoid...how is any of this an issue if the back seat is not folded down? so what if it goes bouncing around he trunk in an accident? as long as the back seat is not folded down, i fail to see this as a problem
Old 11-12-2010, 12:12 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
Quote:
man your guys are paranoid...how is any of this an issue if the back seat is not folded down? so what if it goes bouncing around he trunk in an accident? as long as the back seat is not folded down, i fail to see this as a problem
+1

- Mike

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!