Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 07-10-2008, 06:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5, 4.8, Sport
X5 Roof Bike Racks

hi there,
i use the roof-mounted bike rack made by bmw. i've used it a bunch and it definitely works, but sometimes friends following in other card behind me say it wobbles quite a bit. i have the one w/ the extension arm that grabs the bike frame to lock in position. it seems pretty sturdy for sure, and imagine this is just wind drag, and normal movement of having a bike on top of the car, but does anyone have any additional info. can i rest easy? is this normal? is this a problem, etc.?

thanks!!
Advertisement
Old 07-29-2008, 11:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Audi a4 quattro 6/MT
I have Thule roof racks on the top of my X5... it's KILLING my MPG and am going to take them off the enxt time I visit my parents (as they have more storage room).

I had a hitch installed last week, and just got my new rack on sunday- LOVE IT!!! http://www.saris.com/p-352-thelma-ju....aspx?skinid=1
Old 07-31-2008, 10:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 X5 3.0
I use Thule load bars, with both a Thule road bike carrier (remove the front wheel, attach the forks) and an ATOC tandem topper (now sold by Thule), also a fork-mount. I also have two wheel carriers mounted.

The single bike doesn't move at all. The tandem does move a little, but that is likely due to the 30 lb weight and fact that it is a long way from the fork to the rear wheel. It doesn't worry me. I watch the two bikes through the panorama sunroof on the X3, checking them every now and then.

The photos show the Thule load bars, the Atoc, and two older Thule carriers that use a swing-up brace to hold the downtube. I have those in the garage now because they were a hassle to mount a bike compared to the fork mount (only because of a large downtube on my road bike). They let the bike move a little more than the fork mounts do, but nothing to really worry about. The fork mounts are used on two bikes with full carbon forks; perhaps they are rigid enough to not let the bike move as much.

For SailinSand, my mileage hasn't taken a big hit, but it is very speed dependent. I tend to slow down a little with the bikes mounted. I won't use a hitch rack because of previous experience with the grit that gets on the bikes being in the low pressure zone at the back of the vehicle. No problem at all for a mountain bike, but I prefer not to put road bikes there. Nice looking Saris rack though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	155504   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	155505  

Retired:
2003 X5 3.0 auto, Premium, Titanium Silver
2004 Z4 3.0 SMG, Sport, Premium, Maldives Blue
2002 325xi 5 MT, Steel Grey

Last edited by jcl10; 07-31-2008 at 10:33 PM.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:03 PM

Mein Auto: Bimmer X5
I have 2004 X5, thinking about getting a hitch, do you know any one out in the market?.
and if I install by other (not BMW dealer ) would it will void the warranty since my X5
still have the warrranty until 2010.
Thanks,
Old 08-01-2008, 04:04 PM

Mein Auto: Audi a4 quattro 6/MT
I had my hitch installed @ the dealership.