Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 07-13-2008, 10:53 AM

Mein Auto: x5
manual release for tailgate??

Hi, I need some help changing the battery on my x5. I woke up this morning and it was completly flat so I thaught i would try charging the battery and go buy a new one after but as the baterry is completly flat I cant find a way to open the boot I CAN find a manual release for the top half but the tailgate which I NEED open to get to the battery I cannot find a manual release anywhere, so my question is , is there one? or am I just going to have to get it taken to a garage? Thank for any help in advance.
Advertisement
Old 07-14-2008, 10:47 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 X5 3.0L
Try charging/ applying power via the rear outlets. You may be able to "pump up" your battery or, at least, get the lower switch to function so the door pops down and you can change out the battery.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:05 AM
F e s t S p o n s o r

Mein Auto: 2010 X5
You have to crawl to the back from the inside and remove the cover on the tailgate to pop the release. It's in your owners manual.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:45 PM

Mein Auto: X5
I have the same problem that I could not open the tailgate manually my battery is completely dead, by reading the owner's manual was to open the liftgate on page 189. However, when it comes to the tailgate, the diagram and the instruction is not clear, it showed some kind of release thing that could be open with a screw drive, but once I have removed the panel as the book suggested, there is not such item, only some kind of foam is in it's place where the picture nor the descriptions has even mentioned. I have read through the answers here in the foam, non is helpful because non is direct. Please could some one be more direct when answering? Thank you very much.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisjs View Post
Hi, I need some help changing the battery on my x5. I woke up this morning and it was completly flat so I thaught i would try charging the battery and go buy a new one after but as the baterry is completly flat I cant find a way to open the boot I CAN find a manual release for the top half but the tailgate which I NEED open to get to the battery I cannot find a manual release anywhere, so my question is , is there one? or am I just going to have to get it taken to a garage? Thank for any help in advance.
Hi,

So how did you ever get your tailgate open? I have the same problem now, followed the direction of the owner's manual did not help, the diagram is not correct on when it comes to behind the trim panel, there is a layer of foam there which the book never mentioned and there as no mechanism there to open the liftgate either. Please let me know as how you resolve it.

Thank you.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:36 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
As previously mentioned, if you can get any type of power to either a cig lighter/12 volt power adapter, or even the jump start locations in the engine bay...this should give you enough "juice" to use the central locking system to open the lower tail gate.

You can use a 9-volt battery memory savers, a portable jump start pack, or even jumper cables to a charged up car battery or other car:

(jumper cables to engine bay jump start posts - location varies by which engine you have - check your owners manual for location if you don't know where to find them)

Manual Unlock Procedure for the (upper) Liftgate & (lower) Tailgate:

Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg

Last edited by QSilver7; 05-10-2013 at 07:42 AM.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:10 AM

Thank you very much for helping with all the info with pictures. They have given me lots of ideas. Non-the-less, I figured it out myself.... The drawing in the book does has an error and it is not complete with the instruction. To open the tailgate, yes, step one and two are correct, however, according to the diagram that the open element is right above the "grove" from the trunk bed for reference, that is wrong! The location of it? It is located right at the center top area where under the flash light one could see there is slight slit cut through the foam insulation material and once that slit is peel open, the opening element could be located then with the help of screw driver press down on it as the diagram instructed, the tailgate is open now. Strangely enough, the service adviser at Long Beach BMW didn't even know about it either, now that really drove me up the wall until the next day where I had to figure it out myself.

Last edited by TedK; 05-15-2013 at 01:14 AM.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:20 AM

Mein Auto: 04 x5
Yikes - how do i reset emergency opening tailgate system?

I pulled the little tab on the roof by mistake in my 04 X5 and opened the upper tailgate - replaced the tab, but now it won't close electrically. What can I do other than take it in?