Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department

The Detail Department
Detailing tips, tricks to keep your bimmer in showroom condition.

Old 06-30-2014, 04:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i GT M Sport
Sealants vs Wax

THis discussion broke out on the Meguiars forum when I asked about a product and in very few posts, I finally understand it. Sealants are a form protection… same as wax … just different technologies. FWIW:
http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...ate-Liquid-Wax
Old 06-30-2014, 08:03 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Yeah. There are also "hybrids".

I wear sealants only, most of the time, out of convenience. But if I was willing to reapply every month or so (or willing to pay someone to do it that often for me), I would take carnauba over sealant for its sacrificial abilities; IMO it's harder to have bird poop or hard water etching on fresh carnauba than with the chemically bonded sealant. You also get that "glow". The trade off would be that you miss sealant's superior UV protection.

I'd also like to add that when they say carnauba wax, they do mean it has carnauba, but it will be a pretty small proportion, as in its natural state it is harder than concrete!

I've seen some crazy detailers make their own homebrewed waxes before, heh.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:22 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Oh, I forgot to mention that I don't necessarily agree with comments in your link that say any of their soaps are just as wax friendly as any other, or whatever I thought they said as I skimmed it. I literally gave away my Megs CG as soon as I discovered Optimum soap. While it took a bit longer to do so, I also literally gave away my remaining Optimum since I first tried Griot's. I have little to no interest in trying anything else (for maintenance non stripping wash) save perhaps Duragloss. Even if it's hard to prove my perception of its chemistry being more friendly to LSPs I use, what is more tangible is the lubricity. Griot's is on an entirely different level than GC, in my humble opinion.

I see pros say, "whatever!" with some frequency, that Megs is absolutely perfectly fine for less money. But I suspect higher lubricity and wax friendliness are not as big of a concern for them 99% of the time because they are probably going to mechanically polish and then apply fresh wax right after the wash!
Old 06-30-2014, 08:29 PM

Mein Auto: 760Li
Sealants perform better with time but aren't as nice optically as carnauba wax is most of the time. I use Blackfire Wet Diamond once a month and apply 2 coats of it followed up with a top coat of carnauba wax. I used to use Meg's NXT wax but now I've been using some wolfgang stuff with good results. I've read that this provides the intense gloss/wet look that carnauba gives along with the durability of a sealant. The key is to not apply a wax that has a cleaner in it.
2010 Honda Accord Basque Red/Beige
Old 07-01-2014, 12:23 AM

Mein Auto: f10 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmeance View Post
I use Blackfire Wet Diamond once a month and apply 2 coats of it followed up with a top coat of carnauba wax. I used to use Meg's NXT wax but now I've been using some wolfgang stuff with good results.apply
Meg's NXT wax is not a wax it is a sealant. Were you putting on three coats of sealant? Not that there is anything wrong with that.

I used to use BFWD but use Powerlock now. It seems to go on and come off a bit easier, lasts longer.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:36 AM

Mein Auto: f10 550i
[

Last edited by CGP; 07-01-2014 at 01:13 AM. Reason: posted twice