Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech

Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech
BMW navigation, audio upgrades, XM Radio, Sirius, Bluetooth, and Radar Detector discussions here!

Sponsored by BimmerTech

Old 05-22-2003, 12:22 PM
Silently Lurking

Mein Auto: people crazy
Got a cool mount for my MP3 player!

Check out the cool mount I got for my MP3 player. I had been looking all over for a good one, until someone at the AutoX had one of these for his XM headunit.

I put some high strength velcro on the mount and the player. The velcro holds really well.

Old 05-22-2003, 12:24 PM
SPF 100 Protection

Mein Auto: truck
That's pretty cool
Old 05-22-2003, 01:02 PM
When others won't, I will

Send a message via AIM to Irrenarzt
Mein Auto: 03 M3 Silbergrau
Nice find
Old 05-22-2003, 01:03 PM
Think Snow!

Mein Auto: 2001 330xi
How was the install for that mount? I looked into one a while ago but was unsure if I wanted to start messing around with trim pieces.

Did it go in easily? If you remove it will there be any scars?
Old 05-22-2003, 01:12 PM
Silently Lurking

Quote:
Originally posted by ERK
How was the install for that mount? I looked into one a while ago but was unsure if I wanted to start messing around with trim pieces.

Did it go in easily? If you remove it will there be any scars?
It was really easy, just popped of two trim pieces, took off a nut, put the mount on the bolt, put the nut back on, and then put the trim pieces back on. The trim pieces were much easier to remove than I though they would be. I can't see any reasons for any kind of scarring or scratches from the mount.
Old 05-22-2003, 01:36 PM
Think Snow!

Quote:
Originally posted by TranceLvr
It was really easy, just popped of two trim pieces, took off a nut, put the mount on the bolt, put the nut back on, and then put the trim pieces back on. The trim pieces were much easier to remove than I though they would be. I can't see any reasons for any kind of scarring or scratches from the mount.
Great. Thanks. What did you use to get off the trim pieces? It am guessing a putty knife would do the trick?

I thought I bookmarked someplace where I could get the mount but now it's gone. Do you have a link or the name of the company that makes it?
Old 05-22-2003, 01:42 PM
Silently Lurking

Quote:
Originally posted by ERK
Great. Thanks. What did you use to get off the trim pieces? It am guessing a putty knife would do the trick?

I thought I bookmarked someplace where I could get the mount but now it's gone. Do you have a link or the name of the company that makes it?
I used a very long thin flat head screw driver. The company is pro fit, their website addy is http://www.pro-fit-intl.com, and the part number is BM-50-99
Old 05-22-2003, 01:55 PM
Think Snow!

Quote:
Originally posted by TranceLvr
I used a very long thin flat head screw driver. The company is pro fit, their website addy is http://www.pro-fit-intl.com, and the part number is BM-50-99
thanks
Old 05-22-2003, 02:13 PM

Mein Auto: 325Xi 5spd
What are you using to connect the unit to the head unit? Do you have the '03 radio with the aux input or are you using some type of FM modulator?
Old 05-22-2003, 02:17 PM
Silently Lurking

Quote:
Originally posted by Birdman
What are you using to connect the unit to the head unit? Do you have the '03 radio with the aux input or are you using some type of FM modulator?
I am using a blitzsafe aux in converter model number BMW/AUX V.1. It plugs into the CD changer input and you use the CD changer mode on the OEM stereo. Sound quality using the method is very good.
Old 05-22-2003, 02:49 PM

Mein Auto: 325Xi 5spd
Thanx. I have an '02 325Xi and I didn't get the trunk mounted changer.
I have been looking for a good MP3 solution but I don't want to change the standard head unit. (I don't like the way those flashy after marker MP3 head units look in the dash, plus with just about all of them, you loose the steering wheel controls.)

I have narrowed my options down to 2. First, I could get a hard wired FM modulator installed. This works on the same principle as those wirless FM transmitter units, but it works much better. Once installed, you end up with a male plug which can be fed through the ash tray, glove box etc. which is used to plug in to any headphone jack. (MP3 player, or discman which can support MP3 CD-Rs.) Cost is only about CDN$130 installed and apparently the sound is as good as a regular FM station.

The other alternative is the Alpine CHA-S634 MP3 CD changer. This is a trunk mounted 6 disc CD changer which plays MP3s. To make it compatible with the BMW head unit you need a Soundgate Adapter and the Alpine Ai-Net to M-Bus Adapter. While I can get the Alpine changer in the US for about $150 cheaper than here in Canada, (I will have to get the Soundgate Adapter over the net as no one in Canada seems to carry them), total cost of all parts including installation will run me about CDN$700.

Still haven't decided which is the better way to go. Any thoughts?
Old 05-22-2003, 03:53 PM
Silently Lurking

Quote:
Originally posted by Birdman
Thanx. I have an '02 325Xi and I didn't get the trunk mounted changer.

snip...

I have never been a fan of CD Changers. I never cared much for having to change CDs. This is why I really I like the MP3 player route. I got a plugin for winamp that lets me convert CDs into mp3s with song titles and everything. This way I can put all my CDs onto my MP3 player, which means no need to carry around any CDs ( I always hated this). I am not sure about the hard wired option for the FM modulator, but keep in mind that the tuner has a limited frequency range compared to the CD changer input. The blitsafe unit I am using was $105 (US) with shipping and took like 5 minutes to install. Either way, make sure you get to hear the FM modulator first.
Old 05-22-2003, 08:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5
Hi TranceLvr,

Your link that you posted didn't work.

I have an iPod hooked up in my E36. I wonder if I could get something like that for my car. Right now I have it sitting in the center console in the cubby behind the 2 cupholders & I have to look down & back when I am driving (dangerous, I know)

BMW CCA Member
Old 05-22-2003, 09:10 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to konfoo
Mein Auto: Gokart
I found the install manual for anyone who cares, it explains removal and installation with pics:

http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/Adobe/BM-50-99.pdf

Nice find BTW - I was told by Circuit City that the pro-fit mount would not work on 2002+ models due to some of the connectors around the radio having moved. Obviously that is not the case with this mount. I think the 50-92 has this problem though.

Anyway, kudos!
Old 05-23-2003, 07:25 AM

Mein Auto: Topaz/Black '01 330Ci
Quote:
Originally posted by Woody
Hi TranceLvr,

Your link that you posted didn't work.
It does work, you just have to realise that the comma after the link is being included as part of the URL. If you remove that, it should work.

Pauca sed matura. [Few but excellent.]
-- Gauss
Old 03-21-2004, 02:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 325
Hi,
do you have a link where to order the blitsafe unit?

T

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranceLvr
I have never been a fan of CD Changers. I never cared much for having to change CDs. This is why I really I like the MP3 player route. I got a plugin for winamp that lets me convert CDs into mp3s with song titles and everything. This way I can put all my CDs onto my MP3 player, which means no need to carry around any CDs ( I always hated this). I am not sure about the hard wired option for the FM modulator, but keep in mind that the tuner has a limited frequency range compared to the CD changer input. The blitsafe unit I am using was $105 (US) with shipping and took like 5 minutes to install. Either way, make sure you get to hear the FM modulator first.
Old 03-21-2004, 10:04 AM

Mein Auto: '03 alpine white 330zhp
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz-Beam
Hi,
T
You can try http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...EMChangers.asp or consider Soundgate adapter at http://www.logjamelectronics.com/souncdchanin4.html (sorry, don't know which is better).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranceLvr
I have never been a fan of CD Changers.
Me neither. However, I do consider buying Alpine S634 changer myself - 6 discs full of MP3s is a lot of music, so you won't change discs too often... Well, it is your choice, of course .
Old 03-21-2004, 12:00 PM
Hi

Mein Auto: Frankenstein monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz-Beam
Hi,

T
www.enfigmotorsport.com