Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 02-13-2015, 02:58 AM

Mein Auto: Acura TL
Hotels germany, Switzerland, Alsace, Salzburg

Here is a list of hotels i assembled from various bimmerfest emails and tripadvisor. Hopefully people can comment on these places if they are familiar, and others like myself use this thread for hotel info.

Hotels
Munich: munich park Hilton
(April 26-28)

Rothenburg: burg hotel
Hotel burg colmberg
April 28-30

Riquewihr: best western hotel le schoenenbourg
April 30-May 2

Lucerne may2-3
Palace hotel
Les balances

Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland: hotel staubbach

Gimmelwald Esther's guest house
May 3-5

Fussen: hotel muller
Hotel sonne
Pinswang: gutshof zum schluxen
May 5-6

Salzburg parking alstadt garage
Hotels: Schloss haunsperg - castle outside town
Bristol hotel in town
Hotel rosenvilla
Hotel auersperg
May 6-8

Hotel near Andechs: hotel zur post garni
May 8-9
Advertisement
Old 02-13-2015, 05:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 435 vert & X5
This is where Tripadviser.com comes in - literrally thousands of people commenting on these hotels.

Gary J
ED May 6, 2014 thread
435i Convertible Estoril Blue. Dakota Black/Blue M Sport
plus pretty much everything else but Parking Assistant
Old 02-13-2015, 05:25 AM

I do like to hear about parking and things that the bimmerfest members think about.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:40 AM

Mein Auto: 435 vert & X5
Whatever- worked well for me!

Gary J
ED May 6, 2014 thread
435i Convertible Estoril Blue. Dakota Black/Blue M Sport
plus pretty much everything else but Parking Assistant
Old 02-13-2015, 07:57 AM
Aviator

Mein Auto: BMWs & Ram trucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBigHouse View Post
Here is a list of hotels i assembled from various bimmerfest emails and tripadvisor. Hopefully people can comment on these places if they are familiar, and others like myself use this thread for hotel info.

Hotels
Munich: munich park Hilton
(April 26-28)

Rothenburg: burg hotel
Hotel burg colmberg
April 28-30

Riquewihr: best western hotel le schoenenbourg
April 30-May 2

Lucerne may2-3
Palace hotel
Les balances

Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland: hotel staubbach

Gimmelwald Esther's guest house
May 3-5

Fussen: hotel muller
Hotel sonne
Pinswang: gutshof zum schluxen
May 5-6

Salzburg parking alstadt garage
Hotels: Schloss haunsperg - castle outside town
Bristol hotel in town
Hotel rosenvilla
Hotel auersperg
May 6-8

Hotel near Andechs: hotel zur post garni
May 8-9
Burg Hotel in Rothenburg is great; stayed there many times. Müller isn't in Fussen; its in Hohenschwangau... great place to eat, fair to stay. My suggestion is to stay at Jägerahus in Hohenschwangau but eat dinner at Müller. Huge lot adjacent to Jägerhaus is big enough for a 7 - lot's of 'em.

I've never understood the affinity for 'festers to stay in Fussen - it's just another nondescript small city that's near the castles. I'd suggest people either stay in Hohenschwangau AT the castles, or stay somewhere more scenic and rural than Fussen and drive to the castles.

In May the steamships are running on Lake Lucerne; suggest you consider Weggis which is much more scenic ...and take the boat over for a day in Lucerne. If you're set on staying in Lucerne proper the Art Deco Hotel Montana is a great alternative to the bluehair Palace.

...and a bunch of old English motorcycles

Last edited by dkreidel; 02-13-2015 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:46 AM
Jayhawk Fan

Mein Auto: 435
We stayed at www.Klosterstueble.de in Rothenburg. it was great and would stay there again.

Previous: 2003 540 Touring; 2001 740 Sport; 2004 330 Convertible; 2003 X3 (ED); 1998 323 Convertible

BMW CCA: 162191

Old 02-13-2015, 08:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 435i Coupe
Weggis is a great area to stay. We stayed at Seehotel Gotthard and took steamship to/from Lucerne.

In Rothenburg, if you like B&B's, Haus Karin was a very nice place to stay. Make sure you ask for the en suite room upstairs as some rooms have private bath, but not in the room -- across the hall. Great breakfast and short 2-block walk to the town gates.

http://www.bensbauernhof.com/hauskar...enburgodt.html
Old 02-13-2015, 10:37 AM

Mein Auto: G35 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreidel View Post
stay somewhere more scenic and rural than Fussen and drive to the castles.
Any specific suggestions?
Old 02-13-2015, 11:13 AM

Mein Auto: E60 M5,
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotM2 View Post
Any specific suggestions?
Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Oberammergau, mittenwald, Schwangau.

M DREI und M FUNF at ElkHart Lake

Current Fleet
14 Audi S4 - Sons daily driver
13 C63 AMG. Coupe Devlpmnt Pkg 12 Sept. ED Delivery
12 K1600 GT One Lap of America-Sold
11 X5d (X Funf) ? PDC Delivery
10 C300 4Matic ED Delivery
05 E500 4Matic ED Delivery
01 M3 (M DREI) Sunny Sunday Service
01 Honda RC51 Sons Bike
99 Ducati ST 2 My Bike
80 Porsche 911 Weissach Edition
67 Mini Cooper S Just Makes You Grin
60 Triumph TR 3 - X 2
Old 02-13-2015, 12:59 PM
Aviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by M FUNF View Post
Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Oberammergau, mittenwald, Schwangau.
^^^^ Any of these trump Fussen

Old 02-13-2015, 01:03 PM

Which would you recommend of those, any hotel recommendations?
Old 02-13-2015, 01:05 PM
Aviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wine-O View Post
Weggis is a great area to stay. We stayed at Seehotel Gotthard and took steamship to/from Lucerne.
We've stayed at Beaurivage and the Seehotel Gotthard in Weggis - both are great

Old 02-13-2015, 02:39 PM
(aharding)ED #1 Sept 2012

Mein Auto: BMW GC & MB SL500
We stayed at Jägerahus in Hohenschwangau and had nice views from the room on the top floor. We had views of both castles and there was a nice parking lot with a gate next to the store that sells lots of high end products to Japanese tourists. It was a great spot for one night. We arrived in the evening and everything was peaceful and quiet. The next morning it was like they opened the gates to Disneyworld with throngs of people and buses. It was magical up till then!

See our trip report below for some photos.

2013 F06 640i Gran Coupe Carbon Black | M Sport Package | Amaro Brown Merino Leather | Fine Line Oak Wood Trim | Driver Assistance Package | Luxury Seating Package | Bang & Olufsen | Ceramic Controls | BMW Apps | Full LED Lighting
ED Trip Report - September 2012
Post your Neuschwanstein Castle photo here
Hawaii Vacation Rentals

Last edited by 640GC; 02-13-2015 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:21 PM
Aviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 640GC View Post
We stayed at Jägerahus in Hohenschwangau and had nice views from the room on the top floor. We had views of both castles and there was a nice parking lot with a gate next to the store that sells lots of high end products to Japanese tourists. It was a great spot for one night. We arrived in the evening and everything was peaceful and quiet. The next morning it was like they opened the gates to Disneyworld with throngs of people and buses. It was magical up till then!

See our trip report below for some photos.
Good point; one needs to be either touring the castles or vacating by 10:00am or the the entire town is overrun by tourists. Hohenschwangau is magical from about 4:00pm to 9:00am and then all hell breaks loose. Probably not the place to stay if you are going to spend two days at the castles.

It's a bit better in winter; but it's still a popular place.

Old 02-13-2015, 04:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 435i Convertible
In Rothenburg, I stayed at the Burg Hotel and enjoyed it very much. Beautiful views since it is right on the city wall, plus garage parking. And the older gentleman who is the manager is a kick! My wife and daughter will be staying there on a trip next month (not another ED, or I'd be there, too!). I would absolutely stay there again. It is a little bit of a walk to where most restaurants are located, but nothing wrong with an evening stroll through Rothenburg.

In Salzburg, I stayed in one of the villa rooms at the Hotel & Villa Auersperg. Room was very nice with modern finishings; parking in their courtyard. I think the parking normally has a charge but because I booked early enough in advance, the "Early Bird Special" included free parking. I would stay there again unless I wanted to spend more for one of the top-end hotels.

In Fussen, we stayed one night in the Hotel Schlosskrone, which is just about across the street from the Sonne. Nice place but nothing stands out as particularly special in the room; we did have a balcony with a nice view. If I recall correctly, the garage was fine although the ramp was a tight curve which can make a new ED owner nervous.

Of the above hotels, I reserved through Booking.com for the Burg Hotel and reserved directly with the other two.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:16 PM
SECDEF

Mein Auto: 2013 Melbourne Red 328xi
I really enjoyed Mittenwald, and stayed at the Post Hotel which was nice. Also, I stayed at the Goldener Hirsch in Salzburg. Great hotel! I also enjoyed the Red Bull Hangar 7 at the airport if you are looking for things to do in the area. Check out my trip report in my signature for photos from Mittenwald and Salzburg.

Last edited by pawarrant; 02-13-2015 at 09:24 PM.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 Subaru Forester XT
Quote:
Originally Posted by beware_phog View Post
We stayed at www.Klosterstueble.de in Rothenburg. it was great and would stay there again.

How was parking here? I'm looking at staying here in May.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:12 PM
Go Tigers!

Mein Auto: 2011 e93 Msport +
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
How was parking here? I'm looking at staying here in May.

I stayed there in January, I agree on it being perfect. We parked in front of the hotel on the street, the hotel staff got us a day long pass to pot on the dash for a few euros. It was simple.
1st ED Jan 2015(awaiting delivery): '15 f33 435i Cabrio M Sport / Black Sapphire / Oyster / Anthracite / Ferric Grey 19" Msprt / M Brakes / Premium / Cold Weather / Drivers Asst Plus / Tech / HK Audio

PCD Sep 2011 / '11 e93 Black Sapphire / Oyster / Anthracite / M sport / Premium / Cold Weather / HK Audio / Comfort Access / BMW Apps / 230 style wheels

BMW CCA#462516

Old 03-18-2015, 03:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 Sportwagon
My daughter and I stayed at the Sonne in Fussen and enjoyed its quirky decor and delicious breakfast, although parking in the underground garage required nerves of steel. Outside parking looked even scarier. We took a taxi to the castles and caught the bus back to Fussen. I liked Fussen. No regrets.

We stayed at the Romantik in Rothenburg on recommendation of Bimmerfest member. Valet parking. Have no idea where it went, but it arrived back in perfect condition. Romantik is quaint, alpine decor. Large rooms and bath. Good food. Owner shared recipes with my daughter.

In Salzburg, I like the Sheraton. Have stayed there several times but not with a car.
2013 535ix GT
2016 Work in progress
Old 03-18-2015, 08:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328d
For the castles, definitely stay in Hohenschwangau - easier access and much more relaxing time than trying to get there from another place in the morning. We stayed at the Alpenstuben hotel and it was great (had a small outdoor parking lot and came with breakfast). We got there in the evening, woke up to do the castle, etc. and then left before the end of the day. It was not so bad in terms of getting in and out, and was definitely worth waking up right at the castles in my opinion.

In Riquewihr we stayed at the Hotel de la Couronne. It was very small, but quaint and right in the midst of the walled portion of the city. Had an outdoor parking lot as well and was very good for a one night stay.

If you end up in Garmisch, the hotel we stayed there was the Partenkirchner Hof. A wonderful hotel that gave us a great little balcony as well with a view of the surrounding Alps. There was plenty of street parking nearby where I could park the new car.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:26 AM
Ich bin schneller

Mein Auto: 2015 M235i
The herrnschlösschen in Rothenburg was one of my favorite places to stay ever. I booked one of their senior suites and the room was gorgeous, the minibar was free and fully stocked, it was inside the town walls, but at the end of a road just a block from the town square, so away from the noise in the square (although at night the town is very quiet anyway). They had someone valet my car at a lot nearby and he then took my bags up to the room. We were offered champagne while we waited for all this to happen and check in. We took advantage of the restaurant there, which was up against the restaurants in Paris, and it was one of the best meals I had on my trip. All over a lovely time. The next time I am in Rothenburg, I'll be staying there for sure.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 128i Convertible
I highly recommend staying in Oberammergau. Staying near the castles means you have nothing to do at night. Nothing to see after you stare up at the lit up castles for a few minutes. Oberammergau is a cute, charming little town with plenty of restaurants and inns to choose from. There are tons of wood carving shops, Bavarian clothing stores, cheese and wine places and plenty of souvenir stands. It's a quiet comfortable little town and a walk through the town after dinner is a whole lot better than watching crappy German TV in your room. Even on the coldest nights there are outdoor bars with fuzzy faux-fur blankets and propane heaters to keep you warm while you people watch. Oberammergau has accommodations in all price ranges. There's an indoor water park in town if you need to unwind one night. Right down the street is Ettal Abbey where they brew the best beer in Germany (IMHO).
2012 BMW 128i Convertible (red)
2013 MINI Cooper Coupe (red)
2014 Ford Fusion (grey)
2015 BMW X1 X Drive (on order)