Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 09-08-2016, 01:52 PM

Mein Auto: Honda
Only a weekend, should I still do ED?

I only have 1 day left in this year. If I do ED it will be like this:

12/1 Take the evening flight to Munich, arrive about 10:00am

12/2 After arriving go straight from the airport to the Welt. I think 2:00pm is a safe bet and probably will finish by 5:00pm? Drop off at the Welt

12/3 and 12/4 explore Munich then take evening flight back

ED is about $50 cheaper than US delivery every month so over 36 month I may save $1800, but the 75.00 drop off fee and 2 nights of hotel will make the saving smaller. I can redeem the flight with points so it will be about $100 on the flight.

I am not doing this for saving money because the best I can save is about $1500 over 3 years. I have never been to Germany and wonder if I am still able to enjoy even over a long weekend.
Advertisement
Old 09-08-2016, 02:41 PM

Mein Auto: 320i (F30)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaminHan View Post

ED is about $50 cheaper than US delivery every month so over 36 month I may save $1800, but the 75.00 drop off fee and 2 nights of hotel will make the saving smaller. I can redeem the flight with points so it will be about $100 on the flight.

I am not doing this for saving money because the best I can save is about $1500 over 3 years. I have never been to Germany and wonder if I am still able to enjoy even over a long weekend.
Doing it for the money? Easy to calculate.

Doing it for the experience? Do it before you have a broken hip, stroke, or cancer. You will likely enjoy it for years to come.

I was in a time crunch and was in Germany a short time. It was worthwhile. My itinerary was:

Friday mid-day arrival: No, fog in Frankfurt delays my Frankfurt to Munich flight causing me to miss the factory tour in the afternoon. Saw the Welt public areas. Got drenched with rain, then checked into the hotel.

Saturday: Welt in the morning, sign papers, visit downtown Munich, return for delivery of the car, walked around the Olympic Village, drove around the suburbs, including a shopping mall. Pouring rain most of the day.

Sunday: BMW Museum, Deutsches Museum Annex north of Munich (an aviation museum). Rained all day.

Monday morning: return car, fly home. Still raining.

Conclusion: Lots of fun
Old 09-08-2016, 02:47 PM

I noticed that 12/4 is a Sunday. The drop off is open only half a day on Saturday so you will have only Friday night and Saturday morning to enjoy the car. That is very brief.

I would consider driving the car around Munich on Friday evening unless you are tired. On Saturday, pick one thing to see in the suburbs where a car is handy but having no car is slow. The Deutsches Museum annex or Dachau are examples. Or just enjoy the car and drive around aimlessly.

You may need to use public transit on Saturday afternoon and Sunday. Enjoy!
Old 09-08-2016, 03:15 PM

Mein Auto: Mercedes c250
Quote:

12/2 After arriving go straight from the airport to the Welt. I think 2:00pm is a safe bet and probably will finish by 5:00pm? Drop off at the Welt

I was contemplating just doing a short trip also just because I'm kind of overwhelmed and maybe just sticking to munich the first round would be better. I'm sure once you've done your first ED, the rest are easier to plan and enjoy.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:42 PM
OEM Audio PnP Integration

Mein Auto: 2017 M3
Make it happen... then tell us about it.

Quote:

BMW OEM Audio PnP integration
www.TechnicPnP.com
TechnicPnP@Hotmail.com
Old 09-08-2016, 06:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '00 E46 Sedan & '16 535xi
If it's not for the money saving and you don't care about Xmas Markets I would not do an ED over a weekend in early December. If you can get a week or two in 2017 I would put it off for a month or four and do it next year.

I would not recommend December or January. It could be a bit on the cold side. Why not take a week or two in April or May. The weather should be very pleasant and the hotel prices will still be fairly reasonable. Plus you will have more time to enjoy the planning part of the trip.

Munich is a great place to start. There is a lot to see but with a week or two you can add Neuschwanstein, Linderhof Palace, Salzburg (Austria), Rothenburg, Nuremberg and/or other places in Germany, Austria, Switzerland and France.

So my recommendation would be to postpone your trip to the spring of next year and take a week or two.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinitony View Post
So my recommendation would be to postpone your trip to the spring of next year and take a week or two.
Yeah I was thinking about that. The problem is I have other plans in the first half of next year so I cannot have another week in Germany...

By the way, do you know if the current promo of $1000 option allowance work on ED?

Last edited by VitaminHan; 09-08-2016 at 06:43 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:48 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via AIM to skilletbgm
Mein Auto: '16 X5, '17 M3 ZCP (ED)
Quote:
Yeah I was thinking about that. The problem is I have other plans in the first half of next year so I cannot have another week in Germany...

By the way, do you know if the current promo of $1000 option allowance work on ED?
Yes, it applies to Euro Delivery.

2014 X1, 2014 535d, 2011 E90 335d, 2007 E92 335i, 2004 E46 330i, 2001 E39 M5 - retired -
BMWCCA - 341029

European Delivery: ('14 X1, '14 535d) - September 13, 2013
European Delivery: ('17 M3 ZCP) - October 1, 2016

Old 09-08-2016, 09:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 MINI Cooper
I just did it for 26 hours. 350 kilometers. Zero regrets. You have to be well-planned and know what you want to see and do. But I thought that driving down to Mittenwald was a fabulous overnight and I'm so glad we did it.

230i delivered at BMW Welt 8/23, enjoyed immensely for 24 hours in Garmisch, Mittenwald and Neuschwanstein, dropped at MUC 8/24, departed on DRIVE GREEN HIGHWAY 9/7, arrived Brunswick, GA 9/23, took US delivery in ATL 9/29.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:45 PM

That said, next time I'll plan way ahead and plan to drive it longer, if it is at all a possibility. A week, ten days, more...

230i delivered at BMW Welt 8/23, enjoyed immensely for 24 hours in Garmisch, Mittenwald and Neuschwanstein, dropped at MUC 8/24, departed on DRIVE GREEN HIGHWAY 9/7, arrived Brunswick, GA 9/23, took US delivery in ATL 9/29.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwast View Post
I was contemplating just doing a short trip also just because I'm kind of overwhelmed and maybe just sticking to munich the first round would be better. I'm sure once you've done your first ED, the rest are easier to plan and enjoy.
But case in point: driving in the country is a lot easier than driving in the city. I did the opposite and avoided downtown Munich with the car. Not terrible, mind you, just the standard traffic of a busy city.

Old 09-09-2016, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WriterDude View Post
I just did it for 26 hours. 350 kilometers. Zero regrets. You have to be well-planned and know what you want to see and do. But I thought that driving down to Mittenwald was a fabulous overnight and I'm so glad we did it.
Just found I actually have 2 days left! So I can fly back on Monday.

It means I can even go to Neuschwanstein on 12/4 and drop off the car on 12/5 morning then take the afternoon flight back...sounds better?
Old 09-09-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Just found I actually have 2 days left! So I can fly back on Monday.

sounds better?
Excellent! It looks like a good plan because you can drive the car during your entire trip, not just Friday night and Saturday morning.

Downtown Munich driving is not difficult compared to other European cities. Slightly tight but not too much. Easier than New York City. Harder than Manhattan, Kansas. Paris is more difficult, but mainly because of parking. Milan more so.
Old 09-09-2016, 01:47 PM

Mein Auto: 328i M-sport Coupe
Yes. Do it.

I did NYC - Budapest for a long weekend several years ago to see my favorite guitar player. $129 5 star hotel didn't hurt. It was a great trip!
PCD - October 18, 2016

2010 328i M-Sport Coupe
TitanSilber|Jade|Manual|Premium|Sat|Auto high-beams|iPod|Heated Seats
Euro Delivery - October 20, 2009
PCD - December 16, 2009

Last edited by cruise_bone; 09-09-2016 at 01:48 PM.
Old 09-09-2016, 02:28 PM
Officially Something ...

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi Sedan, AT, N51
Wait

Quote:
I only have 1 day left in this year ...
There is so much to see and do after flying there ... plan at least 10 days. Or more.

You will love it. Spend the time when you are there. You will be here [presumably] a long time.

Don
Old 09-10-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 20T View Post
Excellent! It looks like a good plan because you can drive the car during your entire trip
If I want to pick up on Dec 2 or 3, when should I place the order? I know the early the better but the earliest time I can place the order with the dealer is 9/29, do I still have enough time?
Old 09-10-2016, 04:52 PM

Mein Auto: 14 550i
I did it the weekend right before Christmas in 2006. My flight left at 5 pm on Saturday night and my return flight landed at at O'Hare at 4 pm on Monday. I used hotel points for a free hotel room and airline miles for a free flight. Being the weekend before Christmas there was more crew than passengers on both flights. About 5 passengers on each flight in a huge aircraft. I still enjoyed the trip.

17 M550i on Order
14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
07 330i Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired

Last edited by pharding; 09-10-2016 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-10-2016, 06:51 PM

Quote:
If I want to pick up on Dec 2 or 3, when should I place the order? I know the early the better but the earliest time I can place the order with the dealer is 9/29, do I still have enough time?
Probably yes but you could get started talking with dealers. I bought in mid April for June 1
Old 09-10-2016, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 20T View Post
Probably yes but you could get started talking with dealers. I bought in mid April for June 1
Yeah I just talked to one dealer today. I offered $800 above Invoice before Acquisition and Tax and seemed we all agreed. I will put the deposit once I receive the email from the salesman after he confirms the pricing with the manager.

But I still have to wait until 9/29 to place the order. From your experience I think 2 months should be ok, plus winter is probably not a hot choice compare to other months, but I cannot waste any more time.

Last edited by VitaminHan; 09-10-2016 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:11 AM

Mein Auto: 16 435 CV Msport PPK/335d
Quote:

I would say it is well worth it. Seize the opportunity while you can!
Old 01-10-2017, 08:00 PM

Finally booked the airfare. I did not do ED in Dec over a long weekend, instead I planned a 12 days vacation in the end of May!

There is no incentive at this moment so I plan to place the order in Feb, but I saw a cheap flight yesterday so I booked it... hope I still have enough time to secure the date when I place the order in early February!
Old 01-11-2017, 06:38 AM

Mein Auto: '00 E46 Sedan & '16 535xi
Quote:
Finally booked the airfare. I did not do ED in Dec over a long weekend, instead I planned a 12 days vacation in the end of May!

There is no incentive at this moment so I plan to place the order in Feb, but I saw a cheap flight yesterday so I booked it... hope I still have enough time to secure the date when I place the order in early February!
Good work grabbing the flight. 12 days in Europe is more like it. What are you planning to do while you are there? If you need suggestions of what to see and where to go you are in the right forum - but it always helps if you tell us what you, and any others who will be sharing the experience, are interested in.

Depending on which coast your car will be shipped to you will have either 60 or 90 days of incentives, MFs, etc to choose from, so I would not delay the ordering process too much or you may not get your preferred delivery date.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinitony View Post
Good work grabbing the flight. 12 days in Europe is more like it. What are you planning to do while you are there? If you need suggestions of what to see and where to go you are in the right forum - but it always helps if you tell us what you, and any others who will be sharing the experience, are interested in.

Depending on which coast your car will be shipped to you will have either 60 or 90 days of incentives, MFs, etc to choose from, so I would not delay the ordering process too much or you may not get your preferred delivery date.
My itinerary is 5/19 fly to Vienna, take train to Prague and Munich, pickup the car then drive to Switzerland and drop the car off in Paris, leave Paris on 5/31. Paris is far and I have been there before, but this time my parents are with me and they have never been to Europe, so Paris has to be added lol.

I am confused about the "lock". I live in NJ so I think I am qualified for 60 days lock? Say if I place the order on 1/11, 60 days later will be 3/11, so I am eligible for the incentive in both Feb and March, and whatever happens in April and May will be irrelevant despite I pick up the car in May, correct?

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > European Delivery
Today's Posts Search