Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 06-07-2015, 10:54 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 5
Dropping off cities--if have choice any better than others?

Have you had very positive, or negative experiences when dropping off your ED car. We remember that years ago we were dropping off in Madrid and finding them was a real headache.
Advertisement
Old 06-07-2015, 12:31 PM
Aviator

Mein Auto: BMWs & Ram trucks
Easiest: Munich, Nice, Zurich

The tough/irritating have been jettisoned: London, Madrid, Milan

...and a bunch of old English motorcycles
Old 06-07-2015, 01:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 528xi Titanium Sil.
Fastest maybe Bremerhaven. Many factors involved, East coast, West coast. Car needs repairs, time of year etc. Dropped my car off FRankfurt 4/16 ship arrived Port Hueneme CA 5/26. 51 days 22 hrs 3 payments still no car at Oregon dealer.Not a good deal for impatient people
2008 535i /Step/Tit Sil (gone)
2009 528xi Step/space grey(gone)
ED 03/30/2012
2012 528xi Titanium Sil.(gone)
ED 03/30/2015
2015 528xi M Sport Glacier Sil.

Last edited by Bikie; 06-07-2015 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 03:03 PM

Mein Auto: '15 M3 (ED)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikie View Post
Fastest maybe Bremerhaven. Many factors involved, East coast, West coast. Car needs repairs, time of year etc. Dropped my car off FRankfurt 4/16 ship arrived Port Hueneme CA 5/26. 51 days 22 hrs 3 payments still no car at Oregon dealer.Not a good deal for impatient people
I agree with Bikie. Drop the car in the place that best suits your trip. Redelivery is the hellish downside to ED and where you drop car just one of many factors.
Old 06-08-2015, 04:56 AM

Mein Auto: 435 vert & X5
Most beautiful ride getting there and then being there - Nice, France.

Gary J
ED May 6, 2014 thread
435i Convertible Estoril Blue. Dakota Black/Blue M Sport
plus pretty much everything else but Parking Assistant
Old 06-08-2015, 05:22 AM
Aviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
Most beautiful ride getting there and then being there - Nice, France.
Agreed, my favorite too

Old 06-08-2015, 08:21 AM

Mein Auto: 335i Convertible
It used to be Munich or Bremerhaven to the east coast was quickest. My previous two drop offs @ Munich took about 5 weeks from drop off to delivery. But my current one would have taken 7 weeks had I picked up at dealer. It's 9 since I opted for PCD. So maybe the Munich thing isn't a sure bet anymore. I've read reports here of people dropping off in cities that use to be notoriously slow and turned out they were put on a ship rather quickly.

Ultimately, I think redelivery time is a crap shoot no matter where you drop. So, yeah, like the others said plan your trip as you like and have fun.

Gone but not forgotten:
'96 Z3 • '00 Z3 2.8 LCI • '03 Z4 3.0
'07 and '11 335i 'verts
Old 06-08-2015, 08:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 M3, Black Ex, CF In
Had a great experience at Zurich. 4-5 guys came and spoke to us about the M3 and how they like their Bimmers, made us coffee, gave us directions to resturants for lunch and treated us very well. Followed up on email on when it went onto the truck etc. still waiting for the car but Zurich Gondrand was a very good experience.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i
I agree its a crapshoot and that the trip should dictate the location. We've done three ED's, dropping off at Munich twice and Vienna once. Vienna was the fastest, taking exactly 7 weeks to Port Hueneme. We took a Danube River cruise from Vienna to Nuremburg so drove to the ship, dropped off wife and luggage, then turned in the car three miles down the road. Vienna office was great, BTW.

Oh, and we pick up our cars in Santa Barbara for a bonus trip.

Enjoy your trip.

Cheers, Andy
Old 06-08-2015, 07:38 PM
Jayhawk Fan

Mein Auto: 435
I've done Paris twice. I think next time it's Nice. The wait sucks no matter where you drop it off.

Previous: 2003 540 Touring; 2001 740 Sport; 2004 330 Convertible; 2003 X3 (ED); 1998 323 Convertible

BMW CCA: 162191

Old 06-08-2015, 09:44 PM
BMW Angel

Mein Auto: BMW 335i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by beware_phog View Post
I've done Paris twice. I think next time it's Nice. The wait sucks no matter where you drop it off.
How was the drop off in paris? we'll be dropping off in paris early September, from versailles we'll head to CDG on a Friday afternoon. Is there a lot of traffic? Any tips? Is it hard finding the place? Your wisdom from previous experience would be appreciated!

BMW ANGEL
2016 M6 GC - ED plan 9/2015
Old 06-09-2015, 11:21 AM

Mein Auto: 328 328 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luwi25 View Post
How was the drop off in paris? we'll be dropping off in paris early September, from versailles we'll head to CDG on a Friday afternoon. Is there a lot of traffic? Any tips? Is it hard finding the place? Your wisdom from previous experience would be appreciated!
The D/O is at the airport. The facility is shared with at least one other car maker and isn't hard to find. They run a shuttle to the terminals and the metro.

My best D/O was in Milan. At the time there was no Italian depot so they sent a man by train from Munich to collect my car. All I had to do was leave the key at the hotel.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:17 PM

Mein Auto: '00 E46 Sedan & '14 6GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel View Post
Have you had very positive, or negative experiences when dropping off your ED car. We remember that years ago we were dropping off in Madrid and finding them was a real headache.
I presume that positive and negative experiences can be caused by the time it took for a car to move from the drop-off point to a ship. I tracked roughly 550 ED cars making their way from a drop-off point in Europe to pick-up in the USA and Canada. I have always assumed that the drop-off point only affects the time taken from the drop-off point to the car being on a ship in Bremerhaven - and this has not changed as a result of my tracking experience. The time taken getting from Bremerhaven to an east coast US port does not vary much and the time taken from the port to your dealer or the PCD is more dependent on the damage to be repaired at the VPC and the distance of your dealer from the port.

So here is what I found in the way of time taken to get on a ship. Sixty percent of the ED cars that I tracked were dropped off in Munich. So, presumably, the average time taken from Munich to the ship of about 13 days is fairly representative - but it does mean that some of the other averages are based on too few cars to be confident of the results.

Only Bremerhaven (9 cars) and Hamburg (4 cars) have done better than Munich at 9-10 days. Frankfurt. Amsterdam, Zurich and Sindelfingen, have all averaged about two weeks. Nice, Paris, Geneva and Antwerp have averaged about two and a half weeks. And Vienna lags the others, taking 3 weeks.

All of these are averages and the shortest and longest times are quite different. Many of the drop-off points have managed to get a car onto a ship in four days. The longest that was reported was 41 days. So you cannot count on matching the averages.

Based on what I have seen there really is not all that much difference from one drop-off point to another, though you might want to bet on the averages and drop your car in Bremerhaven, Hamburg or Munich. On the other hand I would agree with many of those who said "just choose a drop-off point that fits your preferred itinerary".

In my two ED experiences, one dropped off in Munich and the other dropped in Vienna, both cars took 28 days to get on a ship. Your best bet for a drop-off point would probably be to avoid wherever I choose for my next ED.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:23 PM
Aviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinitony View Post
Your best bet for a drop-off point would probably be to avoid wherever I choose for my next ED.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:37 PM

Mein Auto: 435 vert & X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinitony View Post
Your best bet for a drop-off point would probably be to avoid wherever I choose for my next ED.

Gary J
ED May 6, 2014 thread
435i Convertible Estoril Blue. Dakota Black/Blue M Sport
plus pretty much everything else but Parking Assistant
Old 06-09-2015, 03:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 E46 ZHP, M235i Soon
My drop off in Nice was very convenient and smooth. I would do it again. However, Nice did not have direct flights to San Francisco so I had to do a connecting flight.
Old 06-13-2015, 11:24 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 5
Thank you all the very helpful responses.