Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:49 AM

Mein Auto: 645ci
kombi error after coding +

i have just replaced my original kmbi for one I have had bought as a spare, mine had the (TAMPA DOT WAS SHOWING ) and it had the wrong vin, so It would never do service mileage schedules etc, lack of full communication with service schedules due to the vin being incorrect blah blah, now I have removed the chip (e35080-6)from a spare cluster kombi i purchased purely to mess about with is error,, so desolderd the m35080 -6 changed vin and zero miles in chip with r270 , checked with my xporg 55.5 ,then soldered back into spare cluster ,then placed it in the car, coded back in to the car with Ncsexpert , all good but mileage has gone up to 90,000 car has done 82,000, but I can now change service functions etc., but I get error message (speedometer faulty ) cant get clock to show in center of cluster only red car on ramp,, when I read it with inpa there is a slight difference in a mileage between to ecus , and ideas whats causing the ( speedometer display faulty ), all service stuff is now av and i can correct al that, and the tampa dot gone, so i know the vin is correct, but i have noticed the mileage is different in the lcm , or the cas,, cant remember, not by much though,,, also i found a few posts about incorrect daten files from ncsexpert ??
Advertisement
Old 03-20-2017, 07:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
I would search BMWcoding.com for the answer you are looking for.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 650i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by martininkent View Post
i have just replaced my original kmbi for one I have had bought as a spare, mine had the (TAMPA DOT WAS SHOWING ) and it had the wrong vin, so It would never do service mileage schedules etc, lack of full communication with service schedules due to the vin being incorrect blah blah, now I have removed the chip (e35080-6)from a spare cluster kombi i purchased purely to mess about with is error,, so desolderd the m35080 -6 changed vin and zero miles in chip with r270 , checked with my xporg 55.5 ,then soldered back into spare cluster ,then placed it in the car, coded back in to the car with Ncsexpert , all good but mileage has gone up to 90,000 car has done 82,000, but I can now change service functions etc., but I get error message (speedometer faulty ) cant get clock to show in center of cluster only red car on ramp,, when I read it with inpa there is a slight difference in a mileage between to ecus , and ideas whats causing the ( speedometer display faulty ), all service stuff is now av and i can correct al that, and the tampa dot gone, so i know the vin is correct, but i have noticed the mileage is different in the lcm , or the cas,, cant remember, not by much though,,, also i found a few posts about incorrect daten files from ncsexpert ??
mileage is stored in separate places. you need to use a NEW EEPROM and then default code. make sure you have up to date SP_DATEN
Old 03-22-2017, 11:54 AM

error

hi I have lots of new eeproms
I have tried, I think the first moded eeprom for the spare kombi I didnt change the mileage, I just did the vin, then the car took the 90,000 from the kombi when it was plugged in, then I did do the second eeprom I did the vin and the mileage, but still error and same mileage,,, ???
Old 03-22-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
hi I have lots of new eeproms
I have tried, I think the first moded eeprom for the spare kombi I didnt change the mileage, I just did the vin, then the car took the 90,000 from the kombi when it was plugged in, then I did do the second eeprom I did the vin and the mileage, but still error and same mileage,,, ???
you shouldn't be doing anything with the blank EEPROM except soldering it to the board.

Desolder old EEPROM
Solder new EEPROM
default code KOMBI with NCS Expert
done

no writing VIN or mileage or anything else. it will automatically get those values from the can bus . all you do is what i said above.

Last edited by derekwilkinson; 03-22-2017 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:43 PM

ok iam all ears

ok so whats default, and how do I get to that,
last time it all went wront on my old e645, and I had to get the help from enda tuning, took ages t sort,also so whats causing this error ? I have a a few of ecus out of 35 of them that have a different vin number than the car or kombi,, but that cant be a issue as I have NOT got the tampa dot showing ,,, but iam all ears,, pm if you prefer

Last edited by martininkent; 03-22-2017 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
ok so whats default, and how do I get to that,
last time it all went wront on my old e645, and I had to get the help from enda tuning, took ages t sort,also so whats causing this error ? I have a a few of ecus out of 35 of them that have a different vin number than the car or kombi,, but that cant be a issue as I have NOT got the tampa dot showing ,,, but iam all ears,, pm if you prefer
either use a tool to clear the EEPROM or (easier, IMO) replace the EEPROM with a blank/virgin EEPROM of the same model
Old 03-22-2017, 12:52 PM

ok

not always easy to clear this chip as it has inaccessible sectors (apparently ),, but I do have about 10 new chips, I just don't want to f--- any thing else up,
Old 03-22-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
not always easy to clear this chip as it has inaccessible sectors (apparently ),, but I do have about 10 new chips, I just don't want to f--- any thing else up,
it needs to be virgin, so if can't be cleared, then it won't work. desolder, solder a virgin eeprom of the same model, then default code KOMBI with NCS Expert (by default code, i mean with your VIN, make sure it is reading the correct VIN when you go to code)
Old 03-22-2017, 12:56 PM

oo

ok I will have a play the weekend, at least I don't need to use the car during the week, I now have 3 dash clusters that are all at the same stage and all do the same mileage and the single code,, error (speed display faulty ) do you why is it throwing this code up
Old 03-22-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
ok I will have a play the weekend, at least I don't need to use the car during the week, I now have 3 dash clusters that are all at the same stage and all do the same mileage and the single code,, error (speed display faulty ) do you why is it throwing this code up
the clusters have to be pre-lci for pre-lci cars and LCI for LCI cars, that could be the problem. or, it could be from a coding issue. if you are default coding for your VIN that shouldn't be an issue.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:03 PM

I checked the cluster part number under my vin on real oem, pre-lci
Old 03-24-2017, 12:43 PM

i have just put in a blank eeprom in a cluster and plugged cluster in , now I have same error as before (speedometer display faulty ), and I have not even coded it yet, also the tampa dot is flashing ? and red service warning in screen
so I will code it in over the weekend , and see what happens
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0768.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	592416   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0769.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	592417  

Last edited by martininkent; 03-24-2017 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
i have just put in a blank eeprom in a cluster and plugged cluster in , now I have same error as before (speedometer display faulty ), and I have not even coded it yet, also the tampa dot is flashing ? and red service warning in screen
so I will code it in over the weekend , and see what happens
the display faulty is either because it is not the correct model speedometer or it has not been coded. the service warning is also because it hasn't been coded. you need to have the modules coded to your VIN and your cars VO for them to work properly.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:35 PM

well I have coded in the kombi and the coded complete car, in both lcm and cas in ncsexpert, the cluster is right for the car and same year, remember this Is happening every time with all three clusters,

Last edited by martininkent; 03-24-2017 at 03:37 PM.
Old Yesterday, 07:21 AM

been playing again today, well I recoded with Add to dictionary, and still error (speedometer display faulty ) and I noticed today no active cruise control, I did check vo and its in there,
I also used easy Ncsexpert to personalize, stuff that's all ok, all messeges are ok car runs nice,, but still this bloody error and no cruise control,,, anyone and any help , thanks

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search