Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:19 AM
Woo Hoo FREE Donuts

Mein Auto: 2004 645Ci Convertible
My Audio build thread

So I have never really been satisfied with the stock Logic7 stereo so I am finally going to do something about it. This will probably go slow as i want to document it with lots of pics and the mail has been extra slow lately but i hope to get god results in the end.

So my plan....

I have a Convertible so some of the speaker locations are different from the Coupe.

1. Replace the Tweets and Mids in both front doors
2. Replace the tweets and mids near the rear seats.
3. Replace the factory subs under the rear seat armrests.
4. Add a Sub in the trunk that doesn't get in the way of the top folding and closing

Not really concerned with the center speaker or the speakers under the rear window. They will just remain unhooked.

So on to some goodies I just got.
First is the Cache COE8 Line converter. 8 in 8 out. Also has a remote volume for the sub channel. Great unit and Good Ol Ebay had it for $80 or best offer. Offered $40 plus shipping and it was mine.

Then I picked up a Technic Wiring harness to make the whole process easy and if need be...reversible. It plugs in between the factory harness and the logic7 amp. In it's current configuration you can simply add the trunk sub and amp or you can also put an amp on the factory subs with the included connector. All the other speaker signals simply pass thru.

It cost me $85 including shipping.

Since I didn't want to use up the whole trunk I decided to go 8"subs but they had to be VERY good subs. These Sundown Audio 8"subs are little Monsters. If you have never heard them they beat harder than most 10s and 12s. They take crazy power and really get low and loud. I plan to put 500 watts RMS on this bad boy.

Picked up a pre-fab box that was built to the specs of this speaker and tuned to 34Hz. This is gonna beat HARD.

Well....this should be fun. Still waiting on both sets of components and my amps plus wire and heat shrink. that's all for now.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
I would think that the center speaker would be a must. Keep us posted!
Old 04-10-2014, 05:38 AM

Mein Auto: 650i Cabriolet
nice build of the cabinets!
2014 650i Cabrio (current) M Sport package and edition Carbon Black : Black Nappa leather dashboard:Active Driving Assistance:Lane Departure Warning:Active Blind Spot Detection:Side and Top View Cameras:Speed Limit Info (sometimes ignored)
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=384930&dateline=1397101129
Old 04-10-2014, 08:14 AM
Woo Hoo FREE Donuts

First thing I wanted to do was install the Technic Harness and make sure it works.

At the rear of the trunk is a plastic cover that needs to be removed first.
2 plastic clips need to be turned 1/2 way and then they can be popped out.

Next there are 4 Phillips Head screws that need to be removed. 2 on each side.

Each has a rubber cap that can be popped off with a flathead screwdriver.

Remove those and the whole thing pops out.

So back in the trunk you need to remove the carpeted cover to access the Logic7 amp. First there are 3 round clips that need to come out. They are in the top left hand side.

Just remove the cable and it will be reinstalled when you put the carpet liner back in. Just remember you will get a Top-Not-Locked error message and the top won't work until this is put back in place.

Next is what seems like a pop out clip but it is actually threaded and you will have to unscrew it all the way.

Lastly you have to remove the hold down bracket. Use a T40 male Torx bit to remove the center screw. You will then have to turn it an 1/8 of a turn and it will slide straight up and out.

Pull back the trunk seal (doesn't have to be removed just bend edge back) and the entire panel comes out in one piece.

Here is the Amp.

Next I removed a bracket over the amp as I will be mounting some hardware to it. 3 screws and it pops right out.

Next I installed the harness. First you have to pull the harness clamp to the right to release it. Takes some force but you have to wiggle it forward till it is removed.

The harness only plugs in one wayso you can't mess it up. Make sure you have them all the way clamped in also.

Finally the other end of the harness gets plugged directly into the Amp.

Harness works perfectly. Started the car and the stereo sounded like normal except the Subs were not playing. As in the included diagram you have to plug harness jack #1 into #2 and the subs play as normal. So it is installed and waiting for me to start phase 2. Whenever CDT gets off their butts and send me my speakers. Next i will be cutting this harness and wiring it into my Cache COE8 but for those just adding a sub. Plug in the LOC and you're ready.

That's all for now.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:31 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Nice. Thanks for posting all those great pictures. Those are going to come in handy in the future for many people I bet.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 04-10-2014, 11:30 PM
Woo Hoo FREE Donuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorgi View Post
Nice. Thanks for posting all those great pictures. Those are going to come in handy in the future for many people I bet.
That's the plan. I am trying to make it really detailed. Lack of info kept me from doing this a long time ago so I figure it should help someone out.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:50 PM
Woo Hoo FREE Donuts

I'm out of town but I have goodies waiting for me. Pics coming soon.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Nice job, we'll be waiting.

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White