Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Camaro, soon to have BMW
successful manual trans conversation?

i'm sick of the auto, but i love the car. i figured this could be an opportunity to upgrade and look for a newer m6 in 6 speed... they aren't really out there. only 300 coupes were made for the US, and if i chop that down to 09's and 10's and look at whats for sale, theres nothing out there. i dont want so downgrade. my 650 has every option, and i really dont need the extra hp from an m6 so o figure i'll start researching swaps. has anyone seen where someone has successfully pulled one off?

Last edited by BMW_Stu; 07-27-2015 at 08:04 PM.
Advertisement
Old 07-26-2015, 11:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645ci
You're probably better off just selling your car and waiting for the right 650 with a manual tranny to pop up. The conversion will be expensive and you'll likely run into problems along the way, and problems in the future. Not to mention when you eventually go to sell the 650 years down the road, the vin has it built as a automatic transmission vehicle. That will probably make potential buyers run for the hills.

As someone who has seriously considered what you want to do and even purchased a rebuilt tranny to do the swap (albeit on a corvette), just sell your 650 and get the m6. You'll thank yourself later.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW M6 Convertible
there's a lot of nay Sayers but M6 SMG (with DSC off) is really the way to go... I wouldn't enjoy driving an M6 with manual and I used to drive manual only.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
I really think the M6 would be the most rewarding option. Even cheaper than all of the changes to the tranny, modules, wiring harnesses, & coding to the car? God knows how much it could cost?
Old 07-27-2015, 07:05 PM

i appreciate everyone's opinions, but i don't really car what awesome names BMW comes up with, an SMG is an automatic, i want to shift gears. I should have gotten a manual car but i didn't. As i explained, the manual cars aren't out there, i can't get one. 300 manual M6's came to America from 2005 to 2010, that's 60 a year. How many are left? How many are in decent condition? How many of those are for sale? How many of those are in my area to see? How many of those are a reasonable price? The car isn't really out there, i've been looking.

Do i care if the Vin matches the trans? No

All i'm trying to do at this point is do research and hear from someone who actually knows what it would take to do the swap, not someone who's guessing... hence my question, does anyone know of someone who has successfully done this swap?

Old 07-27-2015, 07:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
Thank me later, there is no reason to stop you from buying this manual 2010 m6 coupe just listed on cars.com!

http://m.cars.com/vehicledetail/#vdp...ngId=643276586

Last edited by tampamark; 07-27-2015 at 07:35 PM.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:55 PM

60k for a car with 9 thousand miles on it. That's cool but m6's are selling in the low 30's and low 40's, i'm not really interested in taking on more than 20k for a manual trans. I've already been quoted "somewhere around 5k" by a reputable BMW performance shop who has swapped an SMG into an auto car. "somewhere around 5k" is better than 20k in my opinion. I'd definitly appreciate the performance of an M car but given a choice btw an additional 150 hp or a 6 speed, I really just want the 6 speed.

At this point i'm just trying to do my research before i break my wallet open and hand my keys over to a shop. I'm ok with spending some $$ to make this happen as long as it's under a certain number.

I'm ok with someone telling me that it can't be done or that it's not a reasonable swap if they are someone credible... then i'll probably just go get another e46 as a side piece and drive it like i stole it.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:06 PM

I just found this, and it's from the shop i have been communicating with, the swapped a 535xi to manual. This should be more difficult than a rwd e63....

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17001

Old Yesterday, 06:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
There have been several people who posted the question, but I have never seen anyone on this board actually make the swap. So if you do it you will be the first, at least on here.

If you make the swap you should look at upgrading the differential to LSD, better hook up and performance. You are probably familiar with Quaife, but get with Jim Blanton at Performance Gearing. You could go LSD with 3:91 or 4:1 gearing. Talk about some get up and go!

This is fun, spending other peoples money can get addictive...
Old Yesterday, 12:48 PM

if i get the trans, the diff will be on the list for next year. i's keep the stock ratio for better cruising. If the trans isn't reasonable, i may say good bye to the Bimmer and get a 2015 mustang GT. Its the only thing out there with a body like the 6er. long hood, short trunk, 4 seats, 2 doors, necks breaking lol

Old Yesterday, 09:37 PM
World Traveller Forever

Mein Auto: 2006 650i Coupe
Bmwstu..

But its NOT a BMW.......

"Swimming with the sharks" All over this World...I'll see you in the next one.,,yeahhhh.... AND DON"T BE LATE,,,, DON"T BE LAAATTEE! ...(Jimi Hendrix)