Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 01-23-2017, 04:27 AM

Mein Auto: 645Ci
650 tweaks advice..?

hi everyone.
got an 08 650i with 100k on and got couple of minor (I hope) probs if anyone can offer advice please..?
heads up and front cigarette lighter haven't worked since buying, and just started with a funny whining noise at idle sometimes once warm. sounds like a belt slipping but doesn't worsen when revved or driven..?
also, how easy is it to replace the sidelight rings..? mine are more dim yellow than the nice looking white I see on newer bm's
thanks so much in advance
Advertisement
Old 01-23-2017, 11:34 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Jeep, 1 Vespa
Cigarette lighter, no clue other than check fuse. Also, could previous owner(s) have wired it weird to power something else? Also note that cig lighter only operable with car on or second start button push level (not sure how else to describe.)

Whining noise I have no clue nor do I think anyone can venture a halfway reasonable guess with info provided. I think your next step is to get under hood with car running, a mechanic's stethoscope might be needed to isolate the culprit.

By sidelight rings I assume you are referring to the angel eyes. Search angel eyes and you will find dozens of threads and several vendors. If you're new to BMW, my advice would be to spend money on getting car caught up on deferred maintenance instead. When was trans fluid and diff fluid last changed? Spark plugs? Belts? Fuel filter? You sure you don't have oil leaks?

HUD could be simple. I used to do be in tech support many years ago and the first question was always "is it plugged in / turned on?" Solved the problem 90% of the time.
There is a switch to turn HUD on / off. It's button on top right of light switch cluster, see picture below.

Then within idrive there are settings, make sure they're all checked. You get to it via settings menu.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

Last edited by FredoinSF; 01-23-2017 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by paskmcfc View Post
hi everyone.
got an 08 650i with 100k on and got couple of minor (I hope) probs if anyone can offer advice please..?
heads up and front cigarette lighter haven't worked since buying, and just started with a funny whining noise at idle sometimes once warm. sounds like a belt slipping but doesn't worsen when revved or driven..?
also, how easy is it to replace the sidelight rings..? mine are more dim yellow than the nice looking white I see on newer bm's
thanks so much in advance
I would check to make sure your oil stick is fully seated, if you have one? Also check the oil filler cap for being loose, the vent tub lines for cracks, & the CCV valves for torn diaphragms. You will usually hear a slight whine/whistle at idle when cold. This is from air being sucked into the throttle plate flap, when the engine is in open loop.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:41 AM

Mein Auto: 645Ci
Thanks loads both of you , will have a look shortly ***9786;

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
angel eyes, heads up display, whining noise

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search