Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 11-16-2014, 03:44 AM

Mein Auto: Bmw 645ci
645ci 'transmission fault' Please drive moderately

Hello everyone!

I'm new on here, just registered and would like some feedback please! I have a 645ci, I went on a long journey this week and my car suddenly came up with 'transmission fault' please drive moderately. So I stopped, turned the engine off, turned it on again and it was fine. There were no funny noises, rattles or anything like that, it was stuck in 1st or 2nd gear. Has anyone had this problem before??
Advertisement
Old 11-24-2014, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Welcome to Bimmerfest! I've moved your question to the 6 series forum, you will get more help in here. This is a semi common issue, if you search around you'll find threads about this problem.

Good luck,
Tim
Old 11-24-2014, 07:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berettheman View Post
Hello everyone!

I'm new on here, just registered and would like some feedback please! I have a 645ci, I went on a long journey this week and my car suddenly came up with 'transmission fault' please drive moderately. So I stopped, turned the engine off, turned it on again and it was fine. There were no funny noises, rattles or anything like that, it was stuck in 1st or 2nd gear. Has anyone had this problem before??
Your car could be low on transmission fluid, or it might need changing. Not knowing how many miles you have on the car, its hard to point you in the right direction. Your Mechatronic's adapter might be brittle & hard, causing fluid to seep & dropping pressure in the valve body? If this continues to happen, that is the most likely problem.

Welcome Aboard!
Old 11-25-2014, 05:57 AM

Mein Auto: Bmw 645ci
Hi there,

Thanks for your reply! I am having my beemer service next friday, I did the auto reset on the transmission which seemed to work for a while, although I have not had the warning up again, it still seems to be quite jumpy in the lower gears, not sure whats happening.
I have just taken out a warranty with warranty direct which seems to cover everything, anyone had any experience with these?

Thanks!
Old 11-25-2014, 07:08 AM

Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d MINI
Read all the fine print. Some warranties have a blackout period of 30 days from inception.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 E39 & 2005 645 ci
Its a very common problem. And it will get worse over time. Its the solenoids in the transmission that go bad prematurely . Theres a place that sells them in Califorina and you can find a local tranny shop that should be ablr to do the labor anf luid change for another $500. Fuluid is rather expensive. Do a search for 645 transmission solenoids on this forum.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:48 PM
Woo Hoo FREE Donuts

Mein Auto: 2004 645Ci Convertible
Might be an alternator issue. I would occassionally get that message when my regulator was kicking the bucket.
Old Yesterday, 07:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
Here is a very good thread on the 7 series.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=654634