Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 09-12-2016, 07:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 650i coupe
Car jerking around 2 gear

Hey guys so I have an 08 BMW 650i

When I'm at a red light and I stop if I take off easy the car drives fine.
However if I step on it then the rpm will go high and the car will jerk when going from 1st to 2nd gear I believe and it drops and shifts all of a sudden.

It sometimes happens and sometimes doesn't.
I thought it was a transmission issue and it very well may be but if I put it in manual mode and paddle shift then this problem no longer exists at all.

I have no transmission fault codes.
Car is burning some oil from the valve stem seals which I'm fixing and gave a code for the cats but no check engine light what so ever.

Don't really have any loss of power as of right now.

Please let me know what you guys think as I need some advice on this.

Thank you
Advertisement
Old 09-12-2016, 07:52 PM

Mein Auto: x5
.......service transmission fluid and filter
Old 09-12-2016, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunyvw View Post
.......service transmission fluid and filter

I will do that
It wouldn't be the actual transmission tho right?
I mean considering I don't have any issue when in manual mode
Old 09-13-2016, 07:19 AM

Mein Auto: x5
i don't think so... not having seen or heard the issue directly
sounds salvageable to me
how many miles on it
Old 09-13-2016, 11:19 AM

So I went to the dealer to get the transmission fluid and BMW dealer stated we aren't supposed to change the transmission fluid at all and if we do we have to by 100K and not at all after 100K and by the way sorry car has 140k exactly
Old 09-13-2016, 11:36 AM

Oh and I noticed that the car just feels really jumpy from gear to gear in pretty much every single gear and even when down shifting so yeah
Someone suggested the clutch went bad but I'm not sure and I'm not gonna jump to any conclusions right away
Old 09-13-2016, 12:35 PM

Mein Auto: Saab 9-3
Do you have INPA? You might need to just reset some adaptations
Old 09-13-2016, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekwilkinson View Post
Do you have INPA? You might need to just reset some adaptations

I'm not sure if that was done correctly or not but I had my mechanic connect it to his computer and he said he reset the transmission module and told me to drive it for 10 miles and keep rpm below 2000
That helped a bit but not by much
Old 09-13-2016, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethansesar650i View Post
I'm not sure if that was done correctly or not but I had my mechanic connect it to his computer and he said he reset the transmission module and told me to drive it for 10 miles and keep rpm below 2000
That helped a bit but not by much
Resetting the module isn't the same as resetting adaptations
Old 09-13-2016, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Resetting the module isn't the same as resetting adaptations

So can any mechanic reset the adaptation?
Or does it def need to go to the dealer to get that done?
Old 09-13-2016, 05:09 PM

Just an update
It felt like it was maybe slipping but that doesn't make sense and someone said clutch but if it was clutch then I think it would actually do that in every gear
Not just 1 or 2
But if you guys think it's a good idea then I will take it to the dealer tomorrow and have them check it out
The diagnosis will cost me about $170 and then goes towards repairs if I choose to do the repairs
Old 09-13-2016, 05:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
Do not take the car to the dealer for any transmission problems. They will condemn the tranny & ask for 7.5k in repairs. I would suggest draining the fluid, & measure how much you drain, just to see if the fluid is low. It usually takes around 6.5 qts to refill to the proper level. With a 140k on the car, I would drop the valve body & replace the Mechatronic's adapter, since it is probably hard & brittle at this point. When the adapter starts allowing fluid to bypass the valve body, you will start getting a transmission fault on the IDrive fairly often. If you choose to do the repair yourself, you will need to purchase around 400.00 in parts, including the pan, filter, & adapter. If you do not choose the job, go find a local BMW independent mechanic to do the job. The gearbox on our tranny's hardly never fail!
Old 09-13-2016, 05:59 PM

Quote:
So can any mechanic reset the adaptation?
Or does it def need to go to the dealer to get that done?
No... it needs to be done in a program such as INPA, which you can download for free and use with a special coding cable.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbP View Post
Do not take the car to the dealer for any transmission problems. They will condemn the tranny & ask for 7.5k in repairs. I would suggest draining the fluid, & measure how much you drain, just to see if the fluid is low. It usually takes around 6.5 qts to refill to the proper level. With a 140k on the car, I would drop the valve body & replace the Mechatronic's adapter, since it is probably hard & brittle at this point. When the adapter starts allowing fluid to bypass the valve body, you will start getting a transmission fault on the IDrive fairly often. If you choose to do the repair yourself, you will need to purchase around 400.00 in parts, including the pan, filter, & adapter. If you do not choose the job, go find a local BMW independent mechanic to do the job. The gearbox on our tranny's hardly never fail!

I have seen your posts in other threads and they seem to have always been very helpful so I very much appreciate the input
I am going to drain the fluid to begin this process and refill it after and see if that helps at all
How hard is the job? Or in other words how involved is it? Like do you actually have to have a lot of experience doing it? Or is it something you can do if your mechanically inclined?
Also if I choose to do that is all i need to buy a pan, filter and adapter? Or is there anything else I need to buy?

Also coming back to the fact of hearing that it could be the clutch, is it really hard to remove the pan and look for dust from the clutch at the bottom of the pan?
And if it's not really hard then do I need to purchase anything like gaskets and such for when I'm putting it back? Cause by doing that I can eliminate the clutch more than likely.

Thanks again for your help and everyone's help here
Old 09-13-2016, 06:04 PM

Quote:
No... it needs to be done in a program such as INPA, which you can download for free and use with a special coding cable.

Sorry for asking for so many things
But could you maybe put a link for the INPA download?
Also do you know which cord and where I can buy it?
Also would the program run on a MacBook Pro?
And one more thing is are there any instructions anywhere on how to use the program to do this reset?
Old 09-13-2016, 06:07 PM

The adaptation can be reset by turning the ignition on, engine off, press and hold peddle all the way to the floor (until it clicks) for 60 seconds. Turn car off, transmission adaptations memory has been reset.

It can also be reset with any BMW Standards tools software.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:16 PM

Quote:
The adaptation can be reset by turning the ignition on, engine off, press and hold peddle all the way to the floor (until it clicks) for 60 seconds. Turn car off, transmission adaptations memory has been reset.

It can also be reset with any BMW Standards tools software.

I actually tried that and that one did not work actually
I was told that resets the throttle only and only as a temp solution
But they advised for transmission you actually have to use the cord apparently to do so
Old 09-13-2016, 06:43 PM

Just another update
The car after more driving feels more as if it is stuck in sport mode
Old 09-13-2016, 06:46 PM

And also after stepping on it
I'm not sure what gear it was but it reved all the way to 6000 rpm with very minimal movement to the car
Old 09-13-2016, 06:54 PM

Sounds like it is low on fluid? Have you seen any leakage under the car that looks like oil. With 140k miles, it would most likely look just like old oil. The pedal adaptation is suppose to reset your driving profile on the tranny. It is a short term fix. I agree that it does not seem the safe as doing it thru the software, but they are both just a driving profile learning curve. Below is a link to all of your needed parts. You can find them elsewhere on the net, but a lot of people use them. Their service is usually email only.

http://www.thectsc.com/catalog/mecha...-parts-52.html
Old 09-13-2016, 07:09 PM

Quote:
I have seen your posts in other threads and they seem to have always been very helpful so I very much appreciate the input
I am going to drain the fluid to begin this process and refill it after and see if that helps at all
How hard is the job? Or in other words how involved is it? Like do you actually have to have a lot of experience doing it? Or is it something you can do if your mechanically inclined?
Also if I choose to do that is all i need to buy a pan, filter and adapter? Or is there anything else I need to buy?

Also coming back to the fact of hearing that it could be the clutch, is it really hard to remove the pan and look for dust from the clutch at the bottom of the pan?
And if it's not really hard then do I need to purchase anything like gaskets and such for when I'm putting it back? Cause by doing that I can eliminate the clutch more than likely.

Thanks again for your help and everyone's help here
If you have patience & follow all of the instructions on the TIS document, it is not that hard. Removing the valve body is a little more technical at around a 8.5 out of 10. Putting the fluid back in is really the hardest part of the job. The directions must be followed to the " T ", or you will have a huge mess on your hands, & will get to do it again.

http://www.thectsc.com/products/oil-...ai-187-61.html
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 626 parts list fill.pdf (1.83 MB, 17 views)
Old 09-13-2016, 07:40 PM

Quote:
If you have patience & follow all of the instructions on the TIS document, it is not that hard. Removing the valve body is a little more technical at around a 8.5 out of 10. Putting the fluid back in is really the hardest part of the job. The directions must be followed to the " T ", or you will have a huge mess on your hands, & will get to do it again.

http://www.thectsc.com/products/oil-...ai-187-61.html

Ok weird thing is my buddy had a computer connected to it a few days ago and he said that he got an error for a bad u joint so idk if that's got something to do with it maybe so I'm gonna check that as well.
It's just weird cause I didn't know you could have an error for a bad U Joint but maybe you can idk
But I will look at the oil when I drain it without even removing the pan 1st and if it's good then I'll refill with the new one and see what happens
I just have to figure out how to pump it in there considering I do not own the special pump for this job but yeah
Old 09-14-2016, 11:12 PM

Ok well I took it to the dealer and dropped it off
My buddy is a mechanic there so we will see what they actually say about it tomorrow
Old 09-15-2016, 02:15 PM

So here it is
They said it's the clutch
So trying to decide wether to do the job or if it's time to let this baby go and try something new
Old 09-15-2016, 06:49 PM

You can go to Lowe's and purchase a Hudson bleach sprayer for around 20.00. This is what I used to feel mine, with know problem. Leave the spray tip off the end, & insert the tube over the exhaust & into the side of the tranny. You can purchase a pump like this for cars for around 80.00.

I have never heard of a u-joint having an associated code, but that sounds like something the dealer would say!

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search