Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 07-14-2016, 03:26 AM

Mein Auto: Bmw 645 convertible
Completely Dead. No life except interior and side lights

Hi Guys,
I am desperately hoping you can help and that its something simple.

I have a 2005 645 convertible. Drove it to a petrol station at the weekend to grab a bottle of water. Only a short 3 mile run. Came out put the key into the ignition and everything was dead. Literally zero sign of power.

Next day my bro came down and we attempted a jump start. No luck. I decided it had to be a battery so ordered a new one.

Fitted last night and still the same issue. The central locking works, as does the interior light and side lights. Orherwise there is no sign of life from anything else.

Before I jump into bed with my local dealership whom I rang and they said I would need to bring it in, are there any glaringly obvious thing's it could be or I should try.

Eternally grateful for any wisdom given. Thx
Advertisement
Old 07-14-2016, 10:04 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Jeep, 1 Vespa
When you say interior lights, doers that include the lights on the dash?
The reason I am asking is there is a part called IVM that sometimes fails resulting in a no start condition. When mine failed all systems were working correctly, except that sometimes the car would just not start for a period of time, then start like nothing was ever wrong. No recurrence since I replaced it earlier this year. Here is a good thread on the IVM.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=850578

It could be something else, particularly if your symptoms are different. Hard to diagnose from a distance.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:12 AM

Thanks so much for the reply.

Interior light as in on the ceiling. The dash is completely blank. Except for if you put it into neutral the symbol for the car might roll comes up. Thats pretty much the only dash activity.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:09 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 645ci e63
Sounds like you could have a problem with your key. If your keys battery is weak or there is a problem with the keys transponder the car won't see it and you won't get ignition or any dash lights. Sidelights and interior lights will still work
Old 07-14-2016, 01:36 PM

Wizzi07 !!! YOU ARE A LEGEND!

Tried the spare key and as soon as I got in I sensed something was about to happen. She came to life as if nothing had ever happened. So I managed to spend 105 on a new AGM battery I didnt't need along with vehicle recovery costs.

I rang BMW Chandlers this morning, and they said I needed to bring it in as "it could be a number of things". A few local garages also said its would need a diagnostic.

I really can't thank you eneough and hope if anyone has a similiar issue in future they check out this thread.
Old 07-14-2016, 02:15 PM

Glad it worked, Your welcome!!
Old 07-14-2016, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Jeep, 1 Vespa
Great info indeed and thanks for updating with outcome. Sad how many threads see no closure.

Old 07-17-2016, 05:24 AM

Mein Auto: x5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajtrader View Post
hi guys,
i am desperately hoping you can help and that its something simple.

I have a 2005 645 convertible. Drove it to a petrol station at the weekend to grab a bottle of water. Only a short 3 mile run. Came out put the key into the ignition and everything was dead. Literally zero sign of power.

Next day my bro came down and we attempted a jump start. No luck. I decided it had to be a battery so ordered a new one.

Fitted last night and still the same issue. The central locking works, as does the interior light and side lights. Orherwise there is no sign of life from anything else.

Before i jump into bed with my local dealership whom i rang and they said i would need to bring it in, are there any glaringly obvious thing's it could be or i should try.

Eternally grateful for any wisdom given. Thx
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzi07 View Post
sounds like you could have a problem with your key. If your keys battery is weak or there is a problem with the keys transponder the car won't see it and you won't get ignition or any dash lights. Sidelights and interior lights will still work
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajtrader View Post
wizzi07 !!! You are a legend!

Tried the spare key and as soon as i got in i sensed something was about to happen. She came to life as if nothing had ever happened. So i managed to spend 105 on a new agm battery i didnt't need along with vehicle recovery costs.

I rang bmw chandlers this morning, and they said i needed to bring it in as "it could be a number of things". A few local garages also said its would need a diagnostic.

I really can't thank you eneough and hope if anyone has a similiar issue in future they check out this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredoinsf View Post
great info indeed and thanks for updating with outcome. Sad how many threads see no closure.
i know i've been thinking that maybe putting solution or solved and capping the events would be a big help... Like this

solved
Old 07-17-2016, 11:21 AM

Mein Auto: '07 650i, '98 M3
Wait, don't the battery in our key get charged every time it's in the "ignition"?
Old 07-17-2016, 01:13 PM

Yes it's charged in the ignition by induction charging - same technology as electric toothbrushes. Like all batteries they eventually fail and cannot hold charge
Old 07-17-2016, 09:47 PM

Mein Auto: 08 650 vert-06 330 vert
Unless you have the Comfort Access System which has a replaceable battery in the remote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzi07 View Post
Yes it's charged in the ignition by induction charging - same technology as electric toothbrushes. Like all batteries they eventually fail and cannot hold charge

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search