Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 01-29-2016, 03:58 PM

Mein Auto: 04 645ci
ugh..another leak and speaker question

Hi guys. I'm new to the forum. Not new to BMWs. Currently have an 04 645ci and used to have an 08 3 series coupe. But I'm having a problem with speaker sizes and a leak. I read in these forums about the different leak areas, but after trying all of those i found mine was leaking in through the rubber seal around the door on the passenger side near where the window and door meet. I pulled it off and there was silicone in there but it was all dry and cracked, so I redid it and now everything is fine.

But by having all that water on the floor it got into the subwoofer. Now trying to find speaker upgrades I see there are a few kits out there from Focal, Fosgate, and MB Quart. The MB Quarts say they fit the 5 series from the same years but nothing about the 6. Wouldn't they be the same size? Does BMW use different sizes for their subs? Different depths for their mids? It seems like i should be able to buy the 5 series kit and have it fit. I know they are making it difficult by using a triangular shaped speaker already, but to use different sizes in each model seems like overkill. I've got the basic stereo if that matters.

Oh and while I'm at it, doesn't it seem strange that they would have the subs under the seats and the convertible would have them by the back seats? why would they go through all the trouble of redesigning that when you would think that the floor pans are the same? Anyway, thanks for reading.
Advertisement
Old 01-29-2016, 10:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M6, 630i, 320iC
First off the floor pan for the coupe and convertible would absolutely have to be different, think about it, the very had no roof! The strengthening to compensate had only one place to go, the floor.

In relation to the sub woofer, a quick check on http://bmwfans.info reveals that the same sub woofer units are used in the e60 5 Series as on used in the e63
6 Series Coupe.

However, the bass unit fitted to the convertible has a different part number and is unique only to the convertible:

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/65139143131/

If you wanted to replace the speakers in your coupe with OEM replacements just enter the last 7 digits of your VIN in to http://bmwfans.info and navigate to the Audio section to get the part numbers, you can check pricing online or with your local dealer using the part numbers. Note that the left and right speaker units have different part numbers for the bass units.
Old 01-30-2016, 03:07 AM

That's what I wanted to know, if they are interchangeable or not because I'm having difficulty finding ones that are confirmed fits for driver replacements. Even Crutchfield didn't know what would fit. But if whatever fits the 5 fits the 6 then I'm good to go. Thanks.

And I don't know why I didn't think about the floor of the convertible being different for bracing, mental lapse there.

Thanks for that bmwfans site too, never saw that one. Just this and the other bimmerforums
Old 02-03-2016, 06:37 PM

So I'm still looking around for speaker replacements and I'm not finding any sites that say they are a direct replacement for the 645ci speakers. The Rockford Fosgate speakers have model numbers T3-BMW1, BMW2, and BMW3 but I don't see what the difference is between all of them because it is the same pic and the specs all look the same. Their site says the model 3 will fit my dash, but not the doors? WTF?

I was considering the MB Quart package on Amazon which a good price but it says they are 8 1/2" subs and mine are supposed to be 8". If they are really 8 1/2" then that means it is a different size and that just seems silly for BMW to make that many speakers that are specific to each car.

Then I was thinking what if the front of the grill comes off and you can fit a 5 1/4" there and put the grill back on instead of attaching it on the other side of the door panel because almost everyone makes 5 1/4" components. From behind it wouldn't fit because the cutout might block part of the speaker, but from the front it might because the cutout would be for the backside of the speaker. I haven't tried this yet, I was just thinking. Or getting a 6 1/2" speaker, painting its grill to be the matte blackish/gray color and swapping it out with the grills that are there. It should blend in enough that it won't be noticeable. I don't want to make the interior look like crap, but this is absolutely driving me crazy how hard it is to find something.

If whatever fits the e60 will fit mine for sure then that makes it a lot easier. I just want to verify this before buying something.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
AllorNothing would be a good person to PM concerning the speakers. He has done a few threads on the mods on our sound system.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search