Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 07-24-2008, 02:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 540i 6-Speed Sport
Climate Control Only Blows Cold Air

Hey everyone. First, thanks for all the great help on this forum. I've checked the forums and have not got any ideas about my car's problem.

I have a 2002 540i 6 speed that has the standard dual climate control. When I run the A/C, the up/down temp control for the left side works just fine. I raise or lower the temp with the buttons, the display reflects the change, and the air from the left side gets colder or warmer. However, with the right side controls, while the displayed temperature changes, only cold air blows out from the right side of the car (right center vent & right door vent). In other words, if I increase the temp. control from 65 to 75, the displayed temperature will change but the air on the right side still blows just cold air. The air from the right side does blow more or less with the fan control but the air is always the same temp...cold.

The blower controls work fine and I have replaced the FSU in the past (two years ago). It seems like all the digital controls on the Control Console work (the displayed temp changes) but the actual temp does not change for the right side.

Any ideas would be welcome and appreciated.
Advertisement
Old 07-24-2008, 05:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 335xi 6MT 4door
From the description of the problem I would suggest that it is more likely a mechanical problem rather than electrical--there is a flap or "door" within the climate control system, behind the fire wall if you are in the engine compartment, and under the center of the dash if you are in the car, that regulates air temp mixture to either side of the car and to the rear. Sounds like a stuck-open regulator flap? Maybe someone here has had the problem and can tell you how to reach it.

'07 335xi 6-spd 4dr, Montego blue
'98 540i 6-spd Sport, Jet Black II(sold)
'92 325i 5-spd 4dr, burgundy(sold)
Old 07-24-2008, 07:11 PM
livin the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97' 528i, 06 ninja
are you useing the auto setting? if so turn it off and use the manual buttons. see what happens.
The more you complain, the longer God makes you live. SPHOBA #00002
:
Old 07-24-2008, 07:36 PM
Used and Abused

Mein Auto: 6.0 GMC Slow Mobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waveho View Post
From the description of the problem I would suggest that it is more likely a mechanical problem rather than electrical--there is a flap or "door" within the climate control system, behind the fire wall if you are in the engine compartment, and under the center of the dash if you are in the car, that regulates air temp mixture to either side of the car and to the rear. Sounds like a stuck-open regulator flap? Maybe someone here has had the problem and can tell you how to reach it.

2009 G8 GXP (SOLD)

2005 G35 (SOLD)

2003 540I SPORT --- BLEW UP! Redlining is a lot worse then I thought.

2003 GMC Sierra Denali (SOLD BUT STILL USE IT)

ON THE HUNT FOR A...G8 GT MAYBE?

Old 07-27-2008, 03:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 540i 6-Speed Sport
Thanks for the advice, especially Waveho. I'll have the local indy shop check if it is a climate control door or flap mechanical problem before spending the money on a new controller. To answer the question, I do not have the CC set to Auto but it is in manual mode.

If anyone else has any ideas, please post any theories. Thanks again.
Old 07-27-2008, 04:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '99 540it
akumar, if you run the blue to red rotary knob towards the red on the side of the center vent, does the passenger side get warmer too, or just the driver's side? until you get it figured out, that may be the way to work it in the meantime.