Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-24-2008, 05:11 PM
joebox's Avatar
joebox joebox is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: STL MO
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 473
Send a message via Skype™ to joebox
Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 530i Sport
Driver Airbag Cover Replacement - NEED HELP!!!

Does any one know how to replace the driver airbag cover on a round sport steering wheel? I recently ruined the finish on my airbag cover while attmepting to clean it, and its been driving me crazy, a huge eye sore. However, I remembered that I once saw a seller from Sweden on eBay who sold brand new round airbag covers for the e39 sport steering wheel. So I went on eBay, located one and ordered it. Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=001

Well, it arrived today and I immediately removed my airbag to try to replace the cover, but the old cover is just not comming off!!!! Keep in mind, this is not the entire round airbag, just a brand new cover with the roundel on it.

I saw a post on the other forum about a member who ordered the same cover, but it did not have any info on the install.

Does anyone know if it is possible to replace just the cover, and if so, does anyone have any tips or suggestions on how to do it??? PLEASE HELP. Thanks in advance.
__________________
2003 530i SP, PP, CWP, Dinan CAI, Dinan Throttle Body, Dinan Stage III Software, Dinan Strut Brace, Dinan Shock Brace, Dinan Camber Plates, Bilstein Sport, Vogtland Springs, Eibach Anti-Roll Kit, OEM M-Pars 18X9J 275/35/18 all around, OEM M-Aerodynamics Kit, Beisan VANOS Seals, Bavarian CDV, Bluetooth Retrofit, Sirius Retrofit, Driver's 4-Way Lumbar Retrofit, Rear Sunshades Retrofit.
BMWCCA Membership # 405708
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 07-24-2008, 07:32 PM
joebox's Avatar
joebox joebox is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: STL MO
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 473
Send a message via Skype™ to joebox
Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 530i Sport
Bump! Anyone?
__________________
2003 530i SP, PP, CWP, Dinan CAI, Dinan Throttle Body, Dinan Stage III Software, Dinan Strut Brace, Dinan Shock Brace, Dinan Camber Plates, Bilstein Sport, Vogtland Springs, Eibach Anti-Roll Kit, OEM M-Pars 18X9J 275/35/18 all around, OEM M-Aerodynamics Kit, Beisan VANOS Seals, Bavarian CDV, Bluetooth Retrofit, Sirius Retrofit, Driver's 4-Way Lumbar Retrofit, Rear Sunshades Retrofit.
BMWCCA Membership # 405708
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-24-2008, 08:17 PM
lild's Avatar
lild lild is offline
livin the 'Fest
Location: where ever my car takes me
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,280
Mein Auto: 97' 528i, 06 ninja
in the first place i wouldn't attempt to just repalce the cover. the bag could explode, or it might not work properly, or it could explode while your driving. you know you could of just redye the orginal cover. take it to a body shop and let them do it. we do all the time when we replace them.
__________________
The more you complain, the longer God makes you live. SPHOBA #00002
:
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-24-2008, 08:40 PM
joebox's Avatar
joebox joebox is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: STL MO
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 473
Send a message via Skype™ to joebox
Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 530i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by lild View Post
in the first place i wouldn't attempt to just repalce the cover. the bag could explode, or it might not work properly, or it could explode while your driving. you know you could of just redye the orginal cover. take it to a body shop and let them do it. we do all the time when we replace them.
That sounds like a good option. Can you give me some more details on what exactly redying it is? Would any body shop be able to do it? When you say "we do all the time when we replace them" are you referring to replacing the covers? or the entire airbag moduels? Thanks in advance for your help.
__________________
2003 530i SP, PP, CWP, Dinan CAI, Dinan Throttle Body, Dinan Stage III Software, Dinan Strut Brace, Dinan Shock Brace, Dinan Camber Plates, Bilstein Sport, Vogtland Springs, Eibach Anti-Roll Kit, OEM M-Pars 18X9J 275/35/18 all around, OEM M-Aerodynamics Kit, Beisan VANOS Seals, Bavarian CDV, Bluetooth Retrofit, Sirius Retrofit, Driver's 4-Way Lumbar Retrofit, Rear Sunshades Retrofit.
BMWCCA Membership # 405708
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-25-2008, 09:24 AM
lild's Avatar
lild lild is offline
livin the 'Fest
Location: where ever my car takes me
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,280
Mein Auto: 97' 528i, 06 ninja
at times we get old cars in here to fix the front end after a accident and have to order used airbags the whole thing not just covers( the ebay add is the first time i ever seen that you can just oreder the cover), and then dye them to macth. any bodyshop should be able to do it. but here's how you can do it. if you have the air bag out of the car, tape up the emblem. no go to advace or some other auto store and look for the interior dye in the spray can. also get some mineral sprits,or paint thinner or paint reduce works best and i prefer one of these two over mineral spirts, these should be located in the same area as the paint products, and a tack rag, optioal bull dog in a spray can this is an adhisvie that works really well. when you get home. do this in a well ventalated area.
1-- wipe the air bag down with the mineral sprits, or prefered thinner, real well, try not to wipe over the emblem but around it. what this does is, it cleans the bag off, such as any shinny cleaning products you may have used on it. it's important to let dry inbetween wipes. and also this softens the cover so that the paint will stick to it best. don't sand it or scotch it, scratches will not come out. just wipe.
2-- now after shaking the can well, wipe off with the tack rag, don't touch the treated area with your hands, oils from your hand can mess up the paint.now if you have bought the bull dog you want to spray 2 coats with 5 mins inbtween coats. or just got to step 3.
3-- now just apply light coats over the area, don't worry about covering in one shoot, on any coat, light coats will works best, at least 3 min. coats. should do it, and let dry at least 5--10 mins inbetween coats. and then let dry for an hour.
4---then replace the bag back into the wheel. now if you need any other interior peices done now you know how.
__________________
The more you complain, the longer God makes you live. SPHOBA #00002
:
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-25-2008, 11:46 AM
joebox's Avatar
joebox joebox is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: STL MO
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 473
Send a message via Skype™ to joebox
Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 530i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by lild View Post
at times we get old cars in here to fix the front end after a accident and have to order used airbags the whole thing not just covers( the ebay add is the first time i ever seen that you can just oreder the cover), and then dye them to macth. any bodyshop should be able to do it. but here's how you can do it. if you have the air bag out of the car, tape up the emblem. no go to advace or some other auto store and look for the interior dye in the spray can. also get some mineral sprits,or paint thinner or paint reduce works best and i prefer one of these two over mineral spirts, these should be located in the same area as the paint products, and a tack rag, optioal bull dog in a spray can this is an adhisvie that works really well. when you get home. do this in a well ventalated area.
1-- wipe the air bag down with the mineral sprits, or prefered thinner, real well, try not to wipe over the emblem but around it. what this does is, it cleans the bag off, such as any shinny cleaning products you may have used on it. it's important to let dry inbetween wipes. and also this softens the cover so that the paint will stick to it best. don't sand it or scotch it, scratches will not come out. just wipe.
2-- now after shaking the can well, wipe off with the tack rag, don't touch the treated area with your hands, oils from your hand can mess up the paint.now if you have bought the bull dog you want to spray 2 coats with 5 mins inbtween coats. or just got to step 3.
3-- now just apply light coats over the area, don't worry about covering in one shoot, on any coat, light coats will works best, at least 3 min. coats. should do it, and let dry at least 5--10 mins inbetween coats. and then let dry for an hour.
4---then replace the bag back into the wheel. now if you need any other interior peices done now you know how.

Thanks. I may give this a try.
__________________
2003 530i SP, PP, CWP, Dinan CAI, Dinan Throttle Body, Dinan Stage III Software, Dinan Strut Brace, Dinan Shock Brace, Dinan Camber Plates, Bilstein Sport, Vogtland Springs, Eibach Anti-Roll Kit, OEM M-Pars 18X9J 275/35/18 all around, OEM M-Aerodynamics Kit, Beisan VANOS Seals, Bavarian CDV, Bluetooth Retrofit, Sirius Retrofit, Driver's 4-Way Lumbar Retrofit, Rear Sunshades Retrofit.
BMWCCA Membership # 405708
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-25-2008, 12:00 PM
lild's Avatar
lild lild is offline
livin the 'Fest
Location: where ever my car takes me
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,280
Mein Auto: 97' 528i, 06 ninja
how did you ruin the cover when cleaning it? and what cleaner did you use?
__________________
The more you complain, the longer God makes you live. SPHOBA #00002
:
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-25-2008, 02:00 PM
joebox's Avatar
joebox joebox is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: STL MO
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 473
Send a message via Skype™ to joebox
Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 530i Sport
I used BMW interior cleaner and a terry cloth, but I was rubbing a little hard and a part of the satin-like finish on the airbag cover came off. The rubber underneath it is more shiny and sticky than the pleasant feeling finish. It was almost like it peeled. It all happened after a porter at my dealership got shiny protectant stains on the cover by touching it with his greasy hands.

I know I shouldn't have rubbed so hard to try to get the shiny crap off, but I did and now my airbag cover looks "peeled". Its only a small patch on the edge, about the size of a quarter but its a huge eye sore and drives me insane!
__________________
2003 530i SP, PP, CWP, Dinan CAI, Dinan Throttle Body, Dinan Stage III Software, Dinan Strut Brace, Dinan Shock Brace, Dinan Camber Plates, Bilstein Sport, Vogtland Springs, Eibach Anti-Roll Kit, OEM M-Pars 18X9J 275/35/18 all around, OEM M-Aerodynamics Kit, Beisan VANOS Seals, Bavarian CDV, Bluetooth Retrofit, Sirius Retrofit, Driver's 4-Way Lumbar Retrofit, Rear Sunshades Retrofit.
BMWCCA Membership # 405708

Last edited by joebox; 07-25-2008 at 02:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-25-2008, 03:13 PM
lild's Avatar
lild lild is offline
livin the 'Fest
Location: where ever my car takes me
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,280
Mein Auto: 97' 528i, 06 ninja
have you tried to get the dealership to pay for it. maybe worth a try. and is the cover actually peeling or just looks like it peeled?
__________________
The more you complain, the longer God makes you live. SPHOBA #00002
:
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-25-2008, 04:28 PM
joebox's Avatar
joebox joebox is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: STL MO
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 473
Send a message via Skype™ to joebox
Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 530i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by lild View Post
have you tried to get the dealership to pay for it. maybe worth a try. and is the cover actually peeling or just looks like it peeled?
In all honesty it wasn't the dealership who ruined it, it was me trying to clean it after they got grease stains on it. And it is actually peeling. You can see the little edges popoing up around the affected area. Its driving me nuts. I pend $70 on having the cover shipped from Europe and now that I have it, it looks great, brand new but I cant install it. THere must be a way to replace the cover if the covers are available as a stand alone. Ofcourse, the seller could have just gotten factory left overs that were never supposed to be sold separately. I'm pissed and sad.
__________________
2003 530i SP, PP, CWP, Dinan CAI, Dinan Throttle Body, Dinan Stage III Software, Dinan Strut Brace, Dinan Shock Brace, Dinan Camber Plates, Bilstein Sport, Vogtland Springs, Eibach Anti-Roll Kit, OEM M-Pars 18X9J 275/35/18 all around, OEM M-Aerodynamics Kit, Beisan VANOS Seals, Bavarian CDV, Bluetooth Retrofit, Sirius Retrofit, Driver's 4-Way Lumbar Retrofit, Rear Sunshades Retrofit.
BMWCCA Membership # 405708
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-25-2008, 04:51 PM
lild's Avatar
lild lild is offline
livin the 'Fest
Location: where ever my car takes me
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,280
Mein Auto: 97' 528i, 06 ninja
can you post different pics, of your airbag and the part you got. the ebay pic. won't let me zoom in. also i have just assumed, but do you have the air bag complete thing out of the car?
__________________
The more you complain, the longer God makes you live. SPHOBA #00002
:
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-25-2008, 06:09 PM
joebox's Avatar
joebox joebox is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: STL MO
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 473
Send a message via Skype™ to joebox
Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 530i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by lild View Post
can you post different pics, of your airbag and the part you got. the ebay pic. won't let me zoom in. also i have just assumed, but do you have the air bag complete thing out of the car?
Yeha I got the complete airbag assemly out of the steering wheel, disconnected it and got it out of the car completely. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the back of it as it is back in the car now. However, I can tell you that the cover basically pushes on. I can also see exactly where the deployment perforations are on the back side and the entire cover pushes in very very snuggly into the metal housing on the back, but the cover rips at its base for deployment. The other possibility is that is is actually rivetted it and the the plastic tabs of the cover push through openings in the metal base and are stamped/melted on the back side of the metal base (I say this becasue I see sort of a molten platic ring around the back of the metal base. Now that could just be a plastic piece pressed on to prevent the metal airbag module base from making contact with the metal steering wheel base when you press the horn.

Here are the pics of the new cover. See how there are numerous plastic plastic tabs around the perimeter of the back side? Those push into the metel base of the airbag module. Or maybe they stamp in? Dunno.






Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03350.jpg
Views:	5045
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	154839   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03348.jpg
Views:	3508
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	154840   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03347.jpg
Views:	3676
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	154841   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03346.jpg
Views:	3554
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	154842   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03342.jpg
Views:	3644
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	154843  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03340.jpg
Views:	3551
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	154844  
__________________
2003 530i SP, PP, CWP, Dinan CAI, Dinan Throttle Body, Dinan Stage III Software, Dinan Strut Brace, Dinan Shock Brace, Dinan Camber Plates, Bilstein Sport, Vogtland Springs, Eibach Anti-Roll Kit, OEM M-Pars 18X9J 275/35/18 all around, OEM M-Aerodynamics Kit, Beisan VANOS Seals, Bavarian CDV, Bluetooth Retrofit, Sirius Retrofit, Driver's 4-Way Lumbar Retrofit, Rear Sunshades Retrofit.
BMWCCA Membership # 405708

Last edited by joebox; 07-25-2008 at 06:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-25-2008, 06:36 PM
lild's Avatar
lild lild is offline
livin the 'Fest
Location: where ever my car takes me
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,280
Mein Auto: 97' 528i, 06 ninja
so is there any cover on the one in the car? if not i need a pic. basically with the cover off of the old one. i see that it pushes in, but what holds it in place. you don't want it the cover to fly in a accident. i might be able to help you, but just need some pics. of the old one.
__________________
The more you complain, the longer God makes you live. SPHOBA #00002
:
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-25-2008, 07:34 PM
joebox's Avatar
joebox joebox is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: STL MO
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 473
Send a message via Skype™ to joebox
Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 530i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by lild View Post
so is there any cover on the one in the car? if not i need a pic. basically with the cover off of the old one. i see that it pushes in, but what holds it in place. you don't want it the cover to fly in a accident. i might be able to help you, but just need some pics. of the old one.
That exactly what I'm thinkning... The cover must be rivetted/glued/stamped/ screwed in place somehow. Otherwise the cover would fly in my face if the bag deployed. It must perforate around the edges instead of comming of completely. But that means it must be held in place by something. I'll have to remove the airbag again to take pics. I'll try to get them ASAP (sometime this weekend).
__________________
2003 530i SP, PP, CWP, Dinan CAI, Dinan Throttle Body, Dinan Stage III Software, Dinan Strut Brace, Dinan Shock Brace, Dinan Camber Plates, Bilstein Sport, Vogtland Springs, Eibach Anti-Roll Kit, OEM M-Pars 18X9J 275/35/18 all around, OEM M-Aerodynamics Kit, Beisan VANOS Seals, Bavarian CDV, Bluetooth Retrofit, Sirius Retrofit, Driver's 4-Way Lumbar Retrofit, Rear Sunshades Retrofit.
BMWCCA Membership # 405708

Last edited by joebox; 07-25-2008 at 07:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-13-2009, 09:11 AM
rudyv1 rudyv1 is offline
Registered User
Location: Kitchener ON
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: 135i
Does anyone know where I can order this part ?

The Ebay link no longer works.

Thank you

Rudy
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-07-2009, 05:27 PM
Brit6 Brit6 is offline
Registered User
Location: Canada
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2
Mein Auto: BMW X5
Im having this exact problem. Did you ever manage to remove the old airbag cover?

My airbag cover has "peeled" as well and its ugly and an eye sore to me too. Everytime i drive my car i have to look at the airbag because its right in front of you!

Let me know, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebox View Post
That exactly what I'm thinkning... The cover must be rivetted/glued/stamped/ screwed in place somehow. Otherwise the cover would fly in my face if the bag deployed. It must perforate around the edges instead of comming of completely. But that means it must be held in place by something. I'll have to remove the airbag again to take pics. I'll try to get them ASAP (sometime this weekend).
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-07-2009, 07:38 PM
lild's Avatar
lild lild is offline
livin the 'Fest
Location: where ever my car takes me
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,280
Mein Auto: 97' 528i, 06 ninja
if you can go to the junk yard and find one with front end damage, and blown airbags, take out the drivers side and see how it's put together.
__________________
The more you complain, the longer God makes you live. SPHOBA #00002
:
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-14-2009, 01:11 AM
ZuerstBMW ZuerstBMW is offline
¡Viva España!
Location: Tampa, Fl.
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 58
Mein Auto: 12 X5/ 08 335i
Any update on this? Im trying to do the same thing. thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-15-2009, 05:07 AM
ZuerstBMW ZuerstBMW is offline
¡Viva España!
Location: Tampa, Fl.
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 58
Mein Auto: 12 X5/ 08 335i
nothing?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms