Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:03 AM
E65/E66 Helper Man.......

Send a message via AIM to harjothundal Send a message via MSN to harjothundal
Mein Auto: BMW 745 Li
Angry iDrive & navigation computer errors........

So..... I'm getting tired of this... Everytime I deal with the dealer and SA, i'm extremely respectful, always giving 5 stars on surveys, though my car is almost never repaired on my first trip. What's even more annoying is that my closest BMW dealer is about 45 miles away, in the Bay Area... I have to take time out of my already busy schedule to drive through Bay Area traffic during rush hour, just to have the car back with the same symptoms...

I won't get into the past problems cause I just dont feel like typing it all out... During this trip, the main reason for taking the car in was due to the car leaking tranny fluid... There was a warped oil pan and some mechtronic thing they had to replace. I figured since the car is in, have the dealer look at it for Navigation and Audio issues I had been experiencing...

The audio issue is common... Rear door speakers will distort and break up at moderate/high volumes, and my subwoofers would even cut out... I replicated this issue with a tech before I left the dealer, he motioned that he had an idea of what the culprit was.

I also had an issue where my navigation would freeze while driving, sometimes it would report that there is no MAP dvd in the drive, and sometimes the entire screen would white out while driving.

The dealer replaced the navigation computer, and replaced the Logic 7 amp. I thought that all the problems would be solved. I was wrong........

Audio system was distorting more than before... I would have turned around and taken it back to the dealer, but it had just hit 5 and I crossed the benecia bridge, there was no way I was going to inconvinience myself, I just dealt with it... After playing with the settings, the amp did help, but I dont get the same sound as I used to, with the same cd's I listen to... Music isn't as crisp, and bass definately isnt there in the low frequencies...

The biggest problem is navigation... Ironicly, my navigation was on major crack, and the problem kept replicating itself... I drive home and grabbed my camcorder to document this...

At the end of the day, I'm just fed up with the car... I've dealt with too many technical issues. For example... Everytime I leave the car for a while, and return, the cd changer/radio will never remember what cd or track I was listening to... The changer will shift through all 6 discs, and then begin playback from disc 1 track 1... This issue has been addressed at the dealer 3!!!!!! times. The 1st time they claimed they could not replicate the issue. The 2nd time, they claimed there was an incorrect setting in the keyfod and they corrected it. This third time, they claimed my RADAR DETECTOR plugged into the cig lighter was causing some sort of electrical issue causing the battery to reset, thus resetting the cd changer... Well, to see if it helped, I didn't use my detector today, and yes, it still did it...

Anyways, instead of going on for no reason, i'll end it here with a video of the issue...

If you watch the entire vid, you'll see the issue...

Ads by Google
Old 07-25-2008, 04:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 Lexus LS460L
I think I know the problem. Your car is trying to kill itself because of your choice of music.

ASK unit?
Old 07-25-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2BMW View Post
I think I know the problem. Your car is trying to kill itself because of your choice of music.
There is no need to go there, it is music of my language. You don't have to like it or listen to it, but respect should be there embracing other cultures...

ask unit would be next, made the video for the dealer to see... i didnt change the cd cause i didnt know if the problem would go away or not... these cars have a mind of their own... in addition to this, when coming to work this morning, the car did the same thing......
Old 07-25-2008, 01:22 PM
bmw addiction

Mein Auto: X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by G2BMW View Post
why dont you just mute the audio if you dont like what you hear

2012 X5d | White on Black | Fully Loaded | Sport Package
Black Trim Painted White

-2009 E320 Diesel | White on Black | H&R Springs | Kleemann KD-Box | 20" Monarch Hamburg Rims
Black Roof | E63 Rear Lip | Hood Emblem Delete | Foglight Chrome Trim Delete Gone

-2003 760LI Titanium Gray Metallic | Every option | H&R Springs upfront , via computer in rear
OEM Style 128 21" wheels | 40% tint | AIB Angel Eye's w/ matching foglights Gone
Old 07-25-2008, 02:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 Lexus LS460L
Quote:
Originally Posted by harjothundal View Post
There is no need to go there, it is music of my language. You don't have to like it or listen to it, but respect should be there embracing other cultures...

ask unit would be next, made the video for the dealer to see... i didnt change the cd cause i didnt know if the problem would go away or not... these cars have a mind of their own... in addition to this, when coming to work this morning, the car did the same thing......
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny_j View Post
why dont you just mute the audio if you dont like what you hear
Sorry about that, bad morning. I certainly wasn't intending to offend.

I'm not sure if the ASK unit has anything to do with the video or just the audio but it seems the ASK is always subject in any media problem. Someone might be able to answer that better.

Again, sorry for the disrespect.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:29 PM

not a problem man, much appreciate for you standing up and taking responsibility for your words... i just got off the phone with the service manager about an hour ago... he's gonna give me a loaner car, and asked i bring in the video for them to see when i drop it off... its already a new (most likely refurb) navi pc and logic 7 amp, i'm not sure what else could be wrong but its definately trippin...
Old 07-25-2008, 02:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 bmw 745li
The speaker problem your having is the same problem i had with the rears on the door cracking at all levels and subs not as powerful and would crak sometimes to. The dealer ordered a new amp, a bunch of parts including subs under both seats, and also installed fan in nav and amp compartment it has sounded good since then and my nav would also do same things sometimes it would jsut say intizializing. How come your bluetooth says portable phone mine jsut doesnt say anything. Good luck and i hope your dealer gets it fixed.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:08 PM

Mein Auto: 04 745li
The first thing you shouldnt do is give 5's on the servey! They get the results, if they know that you are tough with them they will try to fix it the first time.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:20 PM

Mein Auto: M35
sorry to hear that Harjot, you need my lawyer let me know , lemon is your friend dude
08 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo SOLD
08 E60 535I LEASE OVER
02 E66 745LI LEMON
98 E39 528I SOLD
91 E30 316I SOLD
Old 07-26-2008, 08:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 bmw 745li
Momo does each state have different lemon laws? And does it matter what state you bought your car in?
Old 07-26-2008, 09:35 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BMW_tech
Mein Auto: rickshaw
harjothundal,
If I decide to move to Sac, you wouldn't have to travel far. Except I havent heard an offer I can't refuse. We'll see how it goes, you can start a petition so they pay me what I want.
It's reasonable, it's not like I'm asking for a managers salary.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo's_se\/en View Post
sorry to hear that Harjot, you need my lawyer let me know , lemon is your friend dude
thnks for the suggestion my friend... my dad suggested the same, though the navigation problem is intermittent and just recently started bugging out, the car not remembering the song you were listening to "issue" has been there for over a year... most people wouldn't think its a big deal... its not, but its still an inconvinience having to deal with it... dealer called me today, they replaced the navi comp again (2nd time in less than 7 days) and "think" all other issues are related to that... i doubt it, i dont see how a navigation drive can cause speakers to distort... in any case, i'll let the dealer do their work and see how it turns out when its done...

bmwtech, you thinkin bout migrating to niello in sac? i never liked their service in comparison to concord... concord treats me like a person, sac treats me like a number... thats my experience between the two...
Old 07-27-2008, 01:40 AM

concord??? who is your advisor??? is that why you continue to have problems with your vehicle? they treat you well? im confused. unless it's robert mackie himself working on your vehicle, your problems may never be corrected. ask for him, he's my (yoda) jedi master. tell shane that you are tired of coming back and forth, at least have the foreman (mackie) fix the MOST issue. I guarantee that if he puts his hands on it and you see to it that he overlooks the repair, you'll be saying I was right and you are so happy that you have a SEVEN without electrical issues. Have I been wrong? Haven't I given you guys knowledge you wouldn't have gotten elsewhere? Believe in the power of ONE. Believe that there aren't problems, only solutions exist. It doesn't matter how bad a place treated you, I always make a difference and do what I do best. Fix everything or do something else. If I simply do my job, I'm ordinary just like the tech next to me. If I go above and beyond my duties and everyone around me notices, not only did I up the ante by setting an example........I've encouraged others to follow an extraordinary technician, it's okay to finish last as long as it doesn't come back. I'm BMW_Tech, I'm a nice guy and I always finish last.
Old 07-27-2008, 02:04 AM

kathy denise is my advisor... she's been extremely respectful and helpful to me in the past, so i've never really had the issue, or need, for another sa... the tech that worked on it was was someone named adam, if my memory serves correct... when i dropped her off again on friday, shane personally looked at the car along with another tech... i dont remember his name but he was of asian decent... nice guy, though i didn't like his comment about me "blowing" my subs... i dont see how they can be blown, considering that they play perfectly loud with logic 7 on, but distort only with logic off... they supposedly have the shop forman working closely with the tech on the car

thanks for all your advice on this issue, and other issues in the past... if you get in at niello, then hands down without a doubt, i will stop going to concord just so i can have the piece of mind knowing you're working on the car... and i'm serious... =)
Old 07-27-2008, 06:01 AM

Mein Auto: M35
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndade View Post
Momo does each state have different lemon laws? And does it matter what state you bought your car in?
yes john , every state has a different lemon law, it matters where the car is registered @
and Harjot . yeah reseting the changer is really annoying . i had some navi issues and they reprogramed ASK and all is fine . i dont know what does it have to do with the ASK but for some reason all these components are connected in a way or another, hope your problem is fixed
08 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo SOLD
08 E60 535I LEASE OVER
02 E66 745LI LEMON
98 E39 528I SOLD
91 E30 316I SOLD
Old 07-27-2008, 09:58 AM

Mein Auto: F07 550i GT
Im not glad your having probs, but glad to see a possible cause. I have had my 7 in the shop 5+ times and told them everytime my nav screen flickers. They say they havent seen it, but after replacing an Ask unit, 7logic amp, cd changer, the only thing left is the nav comp/screen. so thats where it will be tomorrow. I had to sit and wait for it to do it then run in and grab an SA to look. He apologized and apparently the tech never checked it out. I also have the breaking up/non-functioning speaker issue which is why they replaced the l7 amp, but that hasnt fixed it yet.

Harjo, has your flickering stopped after the nav comp replacement ... Anyone think it could possibly be the screen?

As an Engineer I have to say: When all else fails read the manual. Until then, push random buttons like there is no tomorrow!
Old 07-27-2008, 10:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 745I
I have the nav flicker also. They have replaced my Logic 7 AMP, ASK, and Nav unit. The problem is still there after these repairs were made.
Old 07-27-2008, 02:40 PM

thanks for all the comments guys... the dealer didn't believe me either, that's why i videotaped it, no way they "cannot replicate the problem" with vide proof... same for the cd changer problem, after 3 visits, i got fed up and took video...

csmooth79, the nav unit flicker didnt fix the problem... when i frist took it in, it would alsmost always say "initializing" for a few minutes, and then show the nav map when first turning on the car... intermittently the map would freeze during driving or navigating, and intermittently it would all turn white, flicker, and restart... but, everytime, the nav would come back up... dropped the car off last monday night, got it back wednesday... the audio issue was worse... at first the subs would only cut out a little, this time the subs were completely cutting out... the nav worked fine the first day, the second day it started the initializing thing again... then later that day when driving home, it kept doing what you saw in the video, nev wouldnt come up and the screen kept going black and then flickering white... we'll see what the dealer does...
Old 07-27-2008, 03:14 PM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
The 7 has bad electronics, or the Germans are bad at GPS, Audio, AC, what else? BMW still hasn't gotten i-Drive right yet?

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 07-27-2008 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 330i View Post
The 7 has bad electronics, or the Germans are bad at GPS, Audio, AC, what else? BMW still hasn't gotten i-Drive right yet?
ah, I see that you've edited your original post saying "the 7 is not a reliable car" ... Wise move brother... though I'm frustrated I understand that with any machine as technical as this, you are prone to having issues, its just the way it is...
Old 07-27-2008, 03:50 PM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
Quote:
ah, I see that you've edited your original post saying "the 7 is not a reliable car" ... Wise move brother... though I'm frustrated I understand that with any machine as technical as this, you are prone to having issues, its just the way it is...
So your gripes are not warranted? The electronics are not complicated, but the way BMW wants to wrap all the systems into one application (i-Drive) is. The dealers don't fix anymore, they replace modules, hoping the problems will go away. Good thing your car is under warranty, otherwise, the cost of replacing parts will not be cheap. I'm not a Lexus fan, but I bet their electronics are more reliable than BMW.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 07-27-2008 at 03:52 PM.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:59 PM

you know, I agree with you... I'm sure lexis electronics are far more reliable than BMW cars.. and dare I say, the new f01 is sweet but I don't want to think what type of electrical issues it may incur in the future...

I have an 08 328 loaner with the BMW professional audio system, they still don't have cd text... Such a simple feature, but I can't find and options for it...
Old 07-27-2008, 05:00 PM
President

Mein Auto: BMW
drive the 335i and the text issues wont bother u anymore, not because it has the feature but because that engine is so sweet!

'03 745i - modded - GONE -
Old 07-28-2008, 05:43 AM

Quote:
I have an 08 328 loaner with the BMW professional audio system, they still don't have cd text... Such a simple feature, but I can't find and options for it...
That's because US version radios doesn't speak German. Use an American CD that uses the alphabet we all learned from Sesame Street. If the music sounds like a man got his hand caught between the door and B-Pillar, no text right? One day (should I say more than?), you'll be back at having all the comfort the Seven gives.......without the backrest on ecstasy. How could you dance to your favorite music while stuck in traffic? I look at those things like a highchair for babies.Hated it!!!
Old 09-01-2009, 03:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to allaboutdaz Send a message via Yahoo to allaboutdaz
Mein Auto: 745
so did this ever get fixed?
what was the problem ?
i am having a similar issue with mine