Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 07-25-2008, 11:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 330XI
fixing some rust question

Hi all.

I am new to this forum and new to BMW's. I purchased my new (used) 2002 330xi last week. Overall the car seems to be in great shape. It has 99,500 miles on it but it starts and runs like new. The interior is outstanding also. The body for the most part is good, some scratches with lousy touch-ups are to be expected.

One thing that I wish the car did not have is some rust forming in odd spots. I will do my best to describe the spots then ask if anyone has fixed this themselves.

I have three spots of rust, they have not broken through the paint but the paint is bubbled.

The first spot and the worst is on the passenger side just behind the front tire. It looks to be a piece of the rear quarter panel that runs along the bottom of the car, above the rocker panel and below the door. The part with the rust is the bead that is directly under the front quarter panel. The bead is about a half inch tall and there is a gap of about a quarter inch between the top of the bead and the bottom of the front quarter panel. The rust is on the top of this bead and runs about 2 inches toward the back of the car. I could do a decent job of sanding it down and touching it up but I am worried if I do not get all the way into the gap, the rust will come back.

The second spot is on the drivers side, same spot but not as bad.

The last spot is on the rear quarter panel lip between the quarter panel and the bumper... under the gas cap. it is about the size of a fingernail and not bubbling too bad (hard to spot).

I am assuming that I will need to remove the front quarter panel to get a good look at my front (and worst) issues.

My question to you great and wonderful forum readers is (never hurts to suck up).... what is involved in removing a quarter panel. Assume for a moment that the scale of mechanical work is 1 (any moron can do it) to 5 (professional only), I am about a 3. Is this something I should be able to do? Does anyone have a schematic for removing the front fender?

For the rear, I assume I will just figure out a way to loosen the rear bumper where it meets the rear fender wheel well. I don't think I need to fully remove the rear bumper to fix the issue.

Thanks for any information.

Carl

2002 330xi 5 speed sports package. Black on black.
Ads by Google