Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:13 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5
Brakes

Ok guys. Just for "fun" and save a little money, I am contemplating doing front and rear brakes on my 2011 X5d. I would list my mechanical ability as average, but given enough time and instruction, I can do most "uncomplicated" repairs (no body work. paint, or SU carb rebuilds/adjustments). I've done drums on a TR6, but never disks.
I have viewed a couple of YouTube vids. It appears to be pretty straightforward. Parts from Bimmerparts, rotors, pads, and sensors (except the rear) are readily available.
I have all the necessary tools and the time to spend.
Suggestions, tips, advise, etc., is appreciated.
Advertisement
Old 08-01-2015, 04:17 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by docboss View Post
Ok guys. Just for "fun" and save a little money, I am contemplating doing front and rear brakes on my 2011 X5d. I would list my mechanical ability as average, but given enough time and instruction, I can do most "uncomplicated" repairs (no body work. paint, or SU carb rebuilds/adjustments). I've done drums on a TR6, but never disks.
I have viewed a couple of YouTube vids. It appears to be pretty straightforward. Parts from Bimmerparts, rotors, pads, and sensors (except the rear) are readily available.
I have all the necessary tools and the time to spend.
It is very simple. Took me 2 hours on front and 2 hours on back. The Bavauto video is helpful and also tells you the tools and supplies you need. I bought the Bavauto brake kits because they were cost competitive and I wanted to support them for the helpful videos. The antiseize and the brake lube can be bought in "Ketchup" size packets from many auto parts stores. Nitrile gloves and a beverage and you are ready to go.
VW Touareg V10 TDI
Hummer H3
Audi S4
Audi A8
Toyota 4 Runner
Nissan 300ZX Turbo
Mercedes 300E
GMC Jimmy
Triumph TR6
Old 08-01-2015, 04:21 PM

Mein Auto: 13' BMW X5 35d
I never did it on BMW, but I was watching some videos since I am planning to get X5d.
I would say only be careful about what manufacturer you are getting. If you are not going with OEM, go with EBC.
I know some BMW drivers like Akebono bcs of dusting. However, I tried them on VW CC, and took them off after 2K. Horrible performance.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:15 PM

Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d 428i
Brakes

Not a hard job, and great way to justify spending $500 on yourself due to the money you saved on that brake job (that's how I rationalize some of my spending sprees...).
I subscribe to askthecarexperts on YouTube. This guy has some of the most detailed videos out there. His E70 front brake one is all you need to look at.

Last edited by FredoinSF; 08-01-2015 at 07:34 PM.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:43 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Tips:

1. Wash the wheel well liners, especially where the sensor wire is routed. This will reduce the crap falling in your eyes when you are removing the little plastic clips/flaps/covers.

2. Be VERY GENTLE when prying these off- they 'unclip' but study them to make sure you aren't forcing them.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:52 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: X5 50i
I recommend:

- Zimmermann Zinc coated front disc rotors
- EBC Brake Pad Set Series (EBC Greenstuff 6000)

and don't forget this tool: E-socket #18
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Special Tool - E18 star socket.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	523074  
BMWCCA #20645
Old 08-06-2015, 12:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAX5 View Post
and don't forget this tool: E-socket #18
I wasted about an hour on this one today!

Could not find E-18 socket in Harbour Freight, Sears, Autozone, Oreily. Ended up using 14mm hex socket, worked quite well.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:05 AM

Rotors are coated, so do not be surprised by weird pedal feel and some noise when going for test drive. The coating has to be scrapped off by brake pads. Takes a couple minutes of driving while holding brake pedal just enough for pads to touch the rotor.

question: What's the proper bedding technique and when should it be done after pad and rotor replacement?
Old 08-06-2015, 04:36 AM
Freude am Fahren

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge1 View Post
I wasted about an hour on this one today!

Could not find E-18 socket in Harbour Freight, Sears, Autozone, Oreily. Ended up using 14mm hex socket, worked quite well.
...uh?

I'm surprised you didn't round the bolt with a regular 14mm hex ...

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-pc-38...set-68016.html

and

http://www.amazon.com/Anytime-Tools-...s=e-socket+set

BMWCCA #20645
Old 08-06-2015, 07:15 AM

Quote:
...uh?
My point was that local HFT store did not have any. So, folks should prepare early and order online if needed

Quote:
I'm surprised you didn't round the bolt with a regular 14mm hex ...
Lots of WD-40 and being gentle. The socket used was one where it is not 6 "corners" but 12.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 VW eGolf
Guys, can you please help me to figure out which front pads to take? Initially I left 3 to choose from and I can't decide...
so, I have Textar, Brembo and EBC Red . Having all those options makes it really hard to choose...

I have Textar in the rear and they doing as good as OEM with less dust (even though it looks like OEM supplier for BMW).
SOLD - 1997 528i Silver, 116.5K

BMWCCA Member # 447308

Last edited by vetaldj; 08-07-2015 at 08:09 AM.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetaldj View Post
Guys, can you please help me to figure out which front pads to take? Initially I left 3 to choose from and I can't decide...
so, I have Textar, Brembo and EBC Red .

I have Textar in the rear and they doing as good as OEM with less dust (even though it looks like OEM supplier for BMW).
I had EBC Red Stuff. Great Pad. Now have Yellow Stuff. Brakes better, but dusty and VERY noisy!
I got Red for my wife's car now to replace.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:25 AM

Thanks edycol!

+1 for EBC here. How they are in compare to OEM pads in terms of braking? Dust is less important.

BMWCCA Member # 447308
Old 08-07-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Thanks edycol!

+1 for EBC here. How they are in compare to OEM pads in terms of braking? Dust is less important.
Well this is based on VW not BMW.
Much better. Better brake pedal feeling (VW has a little bit of soft pedal compare to BMW). After 2-3 braking they start to brake with full power. That is always an issue with performance brakes.
Not dusty at all. These Red Stuff now are combination of ceramic and kevlar, not organic.
Any way, with Red stuff, always had to monitor rear view mirror when braking in order not to get rear ended by some Camry
Old 08-07-2015, 08:36 AM

Thanks again!

For situation with Camry I keep hitch trailer ball in place.
I did notice that without it I have way more tailgaters here in SoCal. With it installed - way less

BMWCCA Member # 447308
Old 08-07-2015, 08:40 AM
Freude am Fahren

Quote:
so, I have Textar, Brembo and EBC Red . Having all those options makes it really hard to choose...

Name is less important than pad composition ...

Choose something that is based on organic, with or without semi-metallic. Try to stay away from ceramic. Ceramics will give you less dust, take longer to warm up and are not rotor friendly.

Bosch USA has come out with a nice line - https://www.boschautoparts.com/auto/brakes. They are also running a mail-in rebate - http://www.autowares.com/plug_ins/re...ate_041015.pdf
BMWCCA #20645
Old 08-07-2015, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Thanks again!

For situation with Camry I keep hitch trailer ball in place.
I did notice that without it I have way more tailgaters here in SoCal. With it installed - way less
Yeah, I lived in San Diego, scary place to drive
Old 08-26-2015, 01:37 PM

Ok guys. The truck says I have 900 miles left on the fronts and 4100 on the rears, so I'm planning my brake service next week. I am assembling the parts. Question: When you do your first service, do you replace the caliper guide bolts and bushings? What about the hold down bolts?
The you videos have been a great help. Any tips/parts/tools/advice other than the stuff in the videos and in the previous threads? Thanks.
I'm pretty sure I will go with the Brembos on sale at Bavarian Autosport. The BMW SA gave them a high rating.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:09 PM
Freude am Fahren

Check out the Bosch brand brake components. Found out that the brake pads are former PBR line ... Best prices on Amazon warehouse. See one of my previous posts on Bosch rebate.

Get a e18 socket for the caliper bolts.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Check out the Bosch brand brake components. Found out that the brake pads are former PBR line ... Best prices on Amazon warehouse. See one of my previous posts on Bosch rebate.

Get a e18 socket for the caliper bolts.
Even when I lived in Europe, where Bosch products are in abundance, I stayed away from their pads. Not bad, but Bosch is like Sony, they make decent products but nothing more or less.
I would go with dedicated brake component manufacturer.
My take:
1. OEM (BMW knows how to do brakes, no doubt about that, as far as I know, Bole is supplier of rotors and Pagid supplies pads).
2. EBC Red Stuff
3. Pagid

Rotors:
1. Brembo (if the are Made in Italy).
2. OEM
3. EBC
4. Zimmerman
Old 08-26-2015, 08:47 PM

Mein Auto: e70 x5
just did this job two weeks ago with parts from fcpEuro. parts arrived quickly and the akebono pads are better than oem imo. the dust is non existent after two weeks and the feel is solid and less grabby than oem pads.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:49 PM

Mein Auto: e70 x5
Quote:
Ok guys. The truck says I have 900 miles left on the fronts and 4100 on the rears, so I'm planning my brake service next week. I am assembling the parts. Question: When you do your first service, do you replace the caliper guide bolts and bushings? What about the hold down bolts?
The you videos have been a great help. Any tips/parts/tools/advice other than the stuff in the videos and in the previous threads? Thanks.
I'm pretty sure I will go with the Brembos on sale at Bavarian Autosport. The BMW SA gave them a high rating.
i did a lot of comparison shopping and fcp was who i went with. great customer service and fast delivery, best warranty and prices.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:37 AM

Thanks for the information. What about the caliper guide bolts and bushings? Did you find they needed replacement? I live in the Midwest where there is salt on the streets in the winter, but the truck is frequently washed throughout the year. The bolts and bushings are not cheap, but I want to do the job correctly.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the information. What about the caliper guide bolts and bushings? Did you find they needed replacement? I live in the Midwest where there is salt on the streets in the winter, but the truck is frequently washed throughout the year. The bolts and bushings are not cheap, but I want to do the job correctly.
Clean pins and lubricate them very conservatively.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracer g37 View Post
just did this job two weeks ago with parts from fcpEuro. parts arrived quickly and the akebono pads are better than oem imo. the dust is non existent after two weeks and the feel is solid and less grabby than oem pads.
The dusting on BMW's (as on any car that uses high quality organic pads) is consequence of means to the ends. BMW has much better brakes then competition for a reason.
As far as Akebono is concerned. I put them once on my VW, and took them off after 2K. By far the worst performing pad I have ever put on any vehicle I have owned.
But, they do keep wheels clean

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search