Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 07-30-2008, 12:32 PM

Mein Auto: '99 323iC
Fault Code Reader?

Hi All,

I am relative new to the under the hood part of E36s. Recently, I just got this check engine light in my car; and I would really like to obtain a Fault Code Reader, to see what it is. Do you know of any good one out there?

Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Old 07-30-2008, 03:21 PM
saturn senior sales

Send a message via Yahoo to hueston1969
Mein Auto: 1998 318i
bavarian autosport is where i got mine...
paid about $140 for code reader/service reset
Old 07-30-2008, 04:08 PM

Mein Auto: 1993 325
you can use the pedal trick if you just need the codes
Old 07-31-2008, 07:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E36 328i
The pedal trick won't work with post 1996 cars. The Peake tools are small, robust and easy to use. Peake's R5/FCX will reset service and inspection intervals but to be able to read and reset airbag codes you will also require the Peake R5/SRS tool. Both are well priced at under $130. If you want to go slightly more exotic and use a tool in connection with a laptop which can diagnose codes as well as resetting airbag and engine fault codes, including service/inspection interval resets Carsoft is the next best at under $100.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Mc View Post
The pedal trick won't work with post 1996 cars. The Peake tools are small, robust and easy to use. Peake's R5/FCX will reset service and inspection intervals but to be able to read and reset airbag codes you will also require the Peake R5/SRS tool. Both are well priced at under $130. If you want to go slightly more exotic and use a tool in connection with a laptop which can diagnose codes as well as resetting airbag and engine fault codes, including service/inspection interval resets Carsoft is the next best at under $100.
Thanks David,

The Peake R5 is good. The company is not too far from where I live, too. It is also recommended by the Bentley Manual. I just saw it this morning. I am going to call them in a little bit. Thanks again.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:35 AM
Tyler's Paw Paw

Mein Auto: 1993 325i
It's possible that your local auto parts place will read them for you. Advanced Auto here will do it for no charge.

Conforti chip, aFe CAI, Bilstein struts/shocks, H&R springs, Mason Engineering strut brace, Borla exhaust, BSW/Sony audio, TMS cross drilled rotors/Hawk HPS high performance street pads, BMW style 43 16" wheels with Bridgestone Potenza P960 tires and if you've read this entire signature just to see what I've done to my car then you need some serious professional help.

Quote:
If you can't afford to do it right, you definitely can't afford to do it wrong.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:41 PM

You are 100% correct, Jim.

I just came back from Union 76 Gas Station. They read the code, gave me a print out and reset the Check Engine light for me at no charge. Althought, I will bring them a 6-pack later on today.

But, I still think having a code reader at hand is much better. The guy could have charge me $20 and I wouldn't complain...

Last edited by little_Magan; 08-01-2008 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:53 PM
Constantly Learning

Mein Auto: 2006 M3, 2002 M5
Question -- does Carsoft read ALL BMW codes, not just Check Engine? I can't keep running to my indie, even though he reads for free.

I bought a OBC-II reader, and it doesn't read BMW. Didn't recognize my brake sensor problem at all. Still useful for other cars, thankfully
Old 08-24-2008, 06:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 94 BMW 325is
I have the Peake's R5/FCX and The Airbag Reset tools. Even tho Autozone or 'Jim bob's garage' can scan it for you, it still comes in handy if your a DIY guy so you can reset the oil change/service indicator lights too. I keep mine handy in my car incase i have a problem/breakdown. Well woth the money!!
Old 08-24-2008, 08:10 PM

Agree!!! And, in my research, I find that the Peake code reader is the best tool for our cars. It is recommended by the Bentley manual and is made for the BMW market.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 320i e90 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Mc View Post

Hi David
Do you have a reset tool? My e90 is showing cornering light malfunction and I just want to get rid of the code. If you can get rid of it, I would appreciate it.