Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Classic Bimmers

Classic Bimmers
Discussions pertaining to vintage and classic BMW models here...

Old 08-04-2008, 05:24 AM
"...tear down this wall."

Mein Auto: Gasoline powered vehicle
Advice: First Antique Auto

Hi All,

I've dreamed of owning a early model BMW 2002 for a while now. Recently two have popped up in my area. I'm trying to decide whether or not this is the one, I'll post pictures later.

Car #1 (1974) has a huge amount of rust, though the rear shock towers (I'm told) are rust free. Lots of surface rust has been sanded and primered. The car has 275K miles on it.

Car #2 (1974) has very good paint, except in a few areas. The lower driver door has a section of 12" by 2" (bottom, middle of door) that is rusted. On the passenger side, there is rust on the lower rear quarter panel (stretching up to the bump stop trim). From the wheel wells up (from the picture) the car looks pristine. The interior is very clean. I've yet to see the trunk area. This car has 90K miles.

All in all, I'm leaning toward car #2. The price is right, but I'm not sure if these problems are too much to handle or a steal.
"Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in heaven that ever I took half the pains to preserve it." -- John Adams, 1777"
Advertisement
Old 08-04-2008, 10:12 AM

Mein Auto: Too much to list :)
My personal opinion, wait a little longer and save for one nicer that needs less work. I've owned about 20 or so old cars, and I've found that (unless you do restoration for a living) not being the person to do the major work is well worth it. I had two early Minis, one bought in very nice shape, and one needing body and trim work. The second I did myself and by the time I was done, I had spent the same amount as the nicer one, but had lost a lot of weekends and found surprises in every panel! In the end, I had two nice cars, but my favorite of the two was the one that needed nothing but driving.

Just my two cents....

AB
Old 08-04-2008, 12:44 PM
"...tear down this wall."

Mein Auto: Gasoline powered vehicle
Thanks for the reply. I guess I'm trying to figure out, what is "too much" work. For me, I think body work would be too much, but are the areas that need attention going to be costly?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW 2002 04.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	155852   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW 2002 06.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	155853   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW 2002 01.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	155854  
"Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in heaven that ever I took half the pains to preserve it." -- John Adams, 1777"

Last edited by 645ilubu; 08-04-2008 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:48 PM
Banned

Mein Auto:
I saw this one today. Very tempting. Id hold out for something nicer if it were me.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/car/781502573.html
Old 08-08-2008, 01:16 AM
BMW Genius @ BMW Portland

Mein Auto: M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanc3r View Post
I saw this one today. Very tempting. Id hold out for something nicer if it were me.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/car/781502573.html
i was looking at the same exact one! id prefer the round tail lights (as shown in this ad) compared to the square ones. but yeah, i really want that 2002
Old 08-11-2008, 05:01 AM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
Quote:
Originally Posted by 645ilubu View Post
For me, I think body work would be too much, but are the areas that need attention going to be costly?
If a car has visible rust, there is perhaps 3 times as much hidden rust.

Done right, rust repair is a lot of work.

For the cars you described:
Strip car to the bare body shell. Yes, remove everything. This is when you find all the rust you missed before.
Remove paint. Have the car professionally primed so it doesn't continue to rust while you are working on it.

Cut out damaged areas.
Obtain repair panels either as a spare part or from a donor car.
Weld in good metal.
Grind smooth.
Have a shop shoot epoxy primer on the repairs.
Repeat until smooth: Body filler. Block sand.

Paint.
Reassemble car.

It is very easy to underestimate just how difficult this is.

Last edited by Andrew*Debbie; 08-11-2008 at 05:04 AM.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 E60
I would hold out for something better. I did, and I don't regret it! I have learned that you can fix most things mechanical, but when it comes to fixing rust, you are now talking about replacing sheet metal, subframes, etc. A lot of work (if you do it yourself), or a lot of $$ if you pay someone. When I was looking for a car, I almost settled for a lesser car than what I ended up actually buying. By waiting, I found a car in better shape, mechanically and physically. Hang in there, YOUR car is out there!

It sounds like you already know where to look for rust. I suggestion is to stay away from anything with a fair amount of rust. Even if you have to ship a car, I think you would be better off in the long run.

My 2 cents worth!!

Good luck and keep us posted!!

Jim

Jim
1973 '02 - Sold to buy new daily driver
2008 E60 - New Daily Driver - Monaco Blue/Cream Beige, Premium pkg, Nav, Heated seats, ipod adapter, xenons
Old 09-03-2008, 05:26 PM

Mein Auto: Ford Focus
You have many good choices in US. I do not have the luxury here. My Neue Klasse 2000 year 1967 would be considered a total scrap in the States. On the other hand, labour is cheap down here. I think by the time the body work is done, it will be only around USD 600. I have paid half of it already.

Check out my progress here!
http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forum...ad.php?t=18177

Yeah! you should wait it out. Look for a better car. If you pay cash, I think you can get the best deal.

The round taillight is my preference over the square one. But be on a look out for a BMW 2002 tii .... that will be sweet.

Good luck to you! Cheers.

Last edited by maxkpp; 09-04-2008 at 03:48 AM.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:30 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: E46
Looks like you doing a great job with it.