Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series

7 Series / 8 Series
The BMW 7 series and 8 Series Forum

Old 08-06-2008, 06:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 740i
01 740i battery swap/starter

Hey I have a 01 740i and when you go to start it, all it does is click. When talking to the dealer there were no help. I have tried to charge the battery and see if that helps and it hasn't. The dash lights come on and it seems as if there is enough power to start it, but its clicking. Does anyone know much about the starters? Is there any tricks in swapping them out? Will I have to worry about computer issues if I leave the battery unhooked more than 4 hrs as the dealer says? Any help would be great.
Ads by Google
Old 08-09-2008, 08:19 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '08 Z4 3.0si Roadie
First things first. Check the battery terminals and make sure they are not corroded. Tighten both terminals if necessary.

If you do not know how to unlock your OBC...do a search on this and/or other forums so that you can determine your batteries amperage at rest. These cars require tremendous amounts of power...you may in fact need a new battery if the car has the original battery. Do not go to the dealer for this if you have other options.....you should be looking for a Duralast 49L I believe, from Autozone....much cheaper.

If you are thinking of jumping the car, use the terminals in the engine compartment.

Starters in these cars (especially the '01) are generally not the problem......usually it is the battery itself.

Good luck.

jake
Old 10-19-2009, 04:09 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 740i
Hey Jake does that same advice apply to a 1999 740i? My car has been sitting for almost three months, I have probably started about 3 or 4 times in the time span, but when I went out to start it the battery was completely dead. In attempting to jump the battery, all lights, cameras came on but all I got was the click, click, click. Could it be I need to get the battery charged?
Old 10-20-2009, 09:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 740i
first off, what are the cranking amps reading at after charging the battery. this will tell you quickly if the battery is bad, or to look elsewhere. about the battery, i dont recommend autozone batteries unless you like wasting money on crap. their batteries are some of the worst i've ever seen, of them i've owned and in customer cars.

honestly, the E38 is a well made vehicle, i'd almost swear it wont be the starter. especially if it still clicks. have the battery test at a local auto parts store, they should give you a free test at most places.

*Der E38*
manufactured: 7/01
color: anthrecite metallic
wheels: style 89 E66, 19X9F 19X10R
ext. lighting: 8000k D2S & LED plate light
*want to get sport rear diff*