Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 08-06-2008, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: 330xi
Question Service Engine light and code p0344

OK the car is a 2001 330xi. I had the service engine soon light come on and I pulled the above code. I have the ability to pull freeze frame data but not realtime. I reset the codes to see if it will set again. It looks like it has this morning on the way to work.

car has 90K miles on it, was always serviced (or should have been serviced, now I know better as far as routine maintenance goes) at dealer and I have the service records form the servicing dealer.

Here are my questions

1) It appears this is a cam position sensor code, is that correct?
2) I believe there are two sensors related to camshaft position, an exhasust and an intake sensor. Should I replace both or will the freeze frame data tell me which is the one I need to change?
3)How much am I going to have to remove to change these sensors? I have the repair manual but have nto had a chance to look things up as I am at work.

I will post the freeze frame data if there is interest once I have a chance this evening to pull the codes and data.

thanks in advance
Advertisement
Old 08-06-2008, 08:25 AM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
P0344 is bank 'A' aka the intake sensor. That's the only one you need to replace.

It's easy to replace - please see the wiki. http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index.php?title=BMW_E46
Old 08-06-2008, 09:26 PM

thanks again

KrisL,

Thanks for the info. I did a lot of reading and used a second scan tool to pull the codes and freeze frame data. The second scan tool brought up the info that you posted. I appreciate your help and the links. I had looked at all of the ones I could find and just needed the help you provided.

again thanks and I will get the parts on the way. I will be working over the slides on the power roof liner at the same time.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:27 PM
Properly chastised re: Xi

Mein Auto: 2005 325xi
See, KrisL is a fountain of knowledge ...
Old 08-06-2008, 09:33 PM

no doubt

that is no joke and is quick on the response also.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:49 AM

Mein Auto: 01 330 CI
P0344 code-'01 330 ci conv.

My SES lite recently came on also. Checked the code and it was P0344. Thanks to this forum I concluded a camshaft positioning sensor-intake was the culprit. I decided to go OE instead of aftermarket after reading others' experience with aftermarket parts....even though the dealer part was twice as much ($ 130.) It was part no. 12-14-7-539-165. The part was installed easily in 30 minutes. The link on this forum to step by step pictures of how to replace part was very helpful. The part is installed and car is back to normal. Thanks to all!!

Paul
Old 08-13-2008, 12:46 PM

changed both cam sensors as the exhaust side sensor was not much more $$. Also did the first oil change since we owned the car while I was at it. The hardest part of the change was gettign the connector loos from the exhasust side sensor and the fact that I dropped my hex socket and had to remove belly pans to get it, that is why I changed the oil while I was under there!

Anyway all looks like it is better now. Next up fix the sliding roof cover and rear brakes. After working on full size 4x4 diesel trucks, these cars are much easier to work on.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:26 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 BWM 540i
Will a cam sensor cause a stall condition when you start to pull away from a stop? I have this code & condition on a 2001 325i. Thx
Old 11-18-2012, 11:57 AM

Mein Auto: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecar80 View Post
Will a cam sensor cause a stall condition when you start to pull away from a stop? I have this code & condition on a 2001 325i. Thx
Yes mine stalls too, I have the same code.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:47 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 320i
Hi guys, I am desperate for help. I keep getting P0344 and P0369 codes. As far as I know they are both related to Cam shaft position sensors. One is Bank A and the other is Bank B. Well thing is, both of them have been replaced. The messed up part is that the codes come and go. I tried waiting a while before I turn the key to position 3 (tried to let it "think" for a bit), I also figured out that blower motor relay has some sort of the effect on the issue. It seems to happen more often when the fan speed is on anything but 0. I am so confused now! All I know that both sensors have been done, and thermostat has been done, I really don't know what to do...
Old 06-07-2013, 09:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilya1988 View Post
Hi guys, I am desperate for help. I keep getting P0344 and P0369 codes. As far as I know they are both related to Cam shaft position sensors. One is Bank A and the other is Bank B. Well thing is, both of them have been replaced. The messed up part is that the codes come and go. I tried waiting a while before I turn the key to position 3 (tried to let it "think" for a bit), I also figured out that blower motor relay has some sort of the effect on the issue. It seems to happen more often when the fan speed is on anything but 0. I am so confused now! All I know that both sensors have been done, and thermostat has been done, I really don't know what to do...
Do you have the receipt/s for the repair? Were aftermarket sensors put on the car? If you search here and other Bimmer boards, you'll find that aftermarket sensors have a high probability of failing, some even DOA.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:13 PM

Service Engine light and code p0344

That's my lat hope! Problem is I live I Canada. Stuff is so expensive here... I was looking at receipt and it still was 120 bucks just for the sensor. Not sure about the brand. I will get one tomorrow and get it done again. Like I said its my last hope.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-11-2014, 06:51 PM

Mein Auto: 330CI
I am in the process of troubleshooting a p0344 fault code on a 2001 330CI. I've replaced the sensor and am still throwing the error code. If anyone has any tips, please let me know.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:36 PM

I figured it out!!!

So the two codes are the two sides of the same problem.... one is the timing error for the front cam sensor, the other is for the back cam sensor. If you replaced one, and you got a cheap one, bad news. Cheap ones have different resistance specs and will not perform right. You will get sluggishness and loss of power and other issues. What I ended up doing is replacing them both and bought them from the same manufacturer. My suggestion to you is to get both sensors from bmw and put them in yourself to save money. It is surprisingly simple to do. There are videos on YouTube on how to do it and both took me an hour to do. After that, disconnect you battery for 60 seconds and connect it again. Those codes are a bit cheaper because a faulty sensor may cause the other sensor's code to trip up. Let me know how it goes
Old 07-24-2014, 08:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 325i
I got 0344 code too, and replaced Camshaft position sensor from EBay. It works just fine.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto: Miata, Tracker
I just changed the intake CPS and it went well BUT I managed to lose both the spring retainers on the CPS and Vanos receptacles. Can these little @#$%$# be purchased