Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 08-08-2008, 07:58 AM

Mein Auto: 08 328xi
Blue fluid leaking! What is it?

Lately I noticed that my windshield fluid went out very quickly, I need to refill it almost twice a month, don't know if that's normal. I also notice that there is usually some fluid left on my garage floor when I drive out.

Then this morning I found fresh BLUE fluid on my garage floor so I get out of the car and I can see it was leaking from some joint close to the front left wheel. I use blue wind shield washer fluid, but I found out that the BMW coolant is also blue. This is a 08 328xi with just 6k miles, and never did an oil change before. Anybody have any idea what this is? If there is a leaking for either wind shield fluid or coolant, is the repair covered by warrenty?

Thanks!
Ads by Google
Old 08-08-2008, 08:37 AM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto: 95 M3
Does it taste like coolant or windshield washer fluid?

(Just kidding, please don't taste it)
Old 08-08-2008, 08:46 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
The windshield fluid should evaporate to almost 100%... Put some on a metal plate or lid and put it in the sun and watch... you should be able to work out which fluid it is by smell and evaporation.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:51 AM
False Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 14 435xi 14 X1 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by philip|bsw View Post
Does it taste like coolant or windshield washer fluid?

(Just kidding, please don't taste it)
Both are quite poisonous. A friend of mine's wife drank washer fluid accidentally once, it wasn't good.

jummo
Old 08-08-2008, 08:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '08 335xi coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jummo View Post
Both are quite poisonous. A friend of mine's wife drank washer fluid accidentally once, it wasn't good.

jummo
But it smells/tastes so good!
Old 08-08-2008, 09:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i Sedan
Just put some on your finger and you should be able to tell by smell and feel. Washer fluid will smell better and have no discernable viscosity.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:

jummo
How do you accidentally drink washer fluid?
Old 08-08-2008, 09:19 AM

Mein Auto: K1200RS, E93/335i:4cruzin
Sounds like you know the answer, but you could put a little food coloring in the washer fluid and see the result the next morning.

Last edited by bmwKbiker; 08-08-2008 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:42 AM
False Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJK View Post
How do you accidentally drink washer fluid?
The way it was explained to me, she had a gallon jug of water in the car to drink and while driving at night grabbed the wrong jug and took a gulp. At the hospital they put her on an IV and pumped grain alcohol into her until she was extremely drunk. Apparentely, the isopropyl alcohol molecules bind to the grain alcohol molecules and your body can filter it out that way.

Either way she reported being really ill for a coupe of days afterwards.

I'm no psychic, nor a mechanic for that matter. But since on the Internet, we're all experts on most things (damn you Al Gore), I'll take a shot at this one.

The OP reports having to add washer fluid quite regularly and is finding blue fluid on the garage floor. Hmmm.....could it be a washer fluid leak? Perhaps a hose clamp or some other such fitting?

jummo
Old 08-08-2008, 10:37 AM
In the heat

Mein Auto: '08 Chevy Trailblazer
How often do you use the washer fluid sprayer with the wipers to clean the window. If it is very little and you are adding fluid every two weeks..............let's see.........It must be the washer fluid.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:39 AM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:
The way it was explained to me, she had a gallon jug of water in the car to drink and while driving at night grabbed the wrong jug and took a gulp. At the hospital they put her on an IV and pumped grain alcohol into her until she was extremely drunk. Apparentely, the isopropyl alcohol molecules bind to the grain alcohol molecules and your body can filter it out that way.

I'm no psychic, nor a mechanic for that matter. But since on the Internet, we're all experts on most things (damn you Al Gore), I'll take a shot at this one.

The OP reports having to add washer fluid quite regularly and is finding blue fluid on the garage floor. Hmmm.....could it be a washer fluid leak? Perhaps a hose clamp or some other such fitting?

jummo
(side commentary)

its actually methanol, not isopropyl. methanol poisoning is treated with large amounts of ethanol as its not the methanol itself thats toxic, its the metabolic products of its breakdown (first formaldehyde and then formic acid)

the ethanol competes with the methanol in the metabolic pathway, slowing down the breakdown of methanol and the accumulation of the formaldehyde and formic acid. giving time for dialysis to remove the methanol from the body.
(biochem degree talking)
(/side commentary)

easiest way to tell if its wiper fluid or coolant... coolant is slightly viscous, feel slippery, and will evaporate slowly. wiperfluid will be like, well, alcohol and evaporate quickly
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 08-08-2008, 11:10 AM
False Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
(side commentary)

its actually methanol, not isopropyl. methanol poisoning is treated with large amounts of ethanol as its not the methanol itself thats toxic, its the metabolic products of its breakdown (first formaldehyde and then formic acid)

the ethanol competes with the methanol in the metabolic pathway, slowing down the breakdown of methanol and the accumulation of the formaldehyde and formic acid. giving time for dialysis to remove the methanol from the body.
(biochem degree talking)
(/side commentary)

Uhh, yeah, that's what I meant.

Thanks for clarifying it.

jummo
Old 08-08-2008, 11:11 AM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:
Uhh, yeah, that's what I meant.

Thanks for clarifying it.

jummo

sorry!
cant help it. it leaks out.
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 08-08-2008, 11:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 Audi A6 3.0T
If you keep adding washer fluid and you are finding blue liquid on the floor of garage - voila! - you found it. I had the same problem. However, when my fluid warning light went on I refilled it with orange washer fluid made by RainX. Next day - orange fluid was on the floor. Mine leaked at the headlight washer (if you have cold weather package you should have those).
Old 08-08-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:

jummo
So my next question is... Why would you carry a jug of washer fluid in the passenger compartment of your car? Sorry. This one just has me intrigued.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:17 PM

Mein Auto: Mazda 3
Quote:
So my next question is... Why would you carry a jug of washer fluid in the passenger compartment of your car? Sorry. This one just has me intrigued.
if you lived up north you would know the answer to that. We go through gallons every winter.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhstadt View Post
if you lived up north you would know the answer to that. We go through gallons every winter.
Do you have a siphon hose up through the dash? I think I'd at least put it in the trunk.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:31 PM
False Enthusiast

Quote:
In this part of Colorado, magnesium chloride is sprayed on the road as a de-icer. It coats your car with a sticky brown film. Not all cars are as considerate as BMW's and don't tell you when you are getting low on washer fluid.

Running out of fluid can be surprisingly dangerous as eventually you can no longer see out the windshield. It is not at all uncommon to see people pulled over trying clear the view with snow.

The headlight washers going every 5th time is a great thing in these conditions, the lights are noticeably brighter after spritzing.

jummo
Old 08-08-2008, 10:19 PM

Mein Auto: '07 328xiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by superliu View Post
Lately I noticed that my windshield fluid went out very quickly, I need to refill it almost twice a month, don't know if that's normal. I also notice that there is usually some fluid left on my garage floor when I drive out.

Then this morning I found fresh BLUE fluid on my garage floor so I get out of the car and I can see it was leaking from some joint close to the front left wheel. I use blue wind shield washer fluid, but I found out that the BMW coolant is also blue. This is a 08 328xi with just 6k miles, and never did an oil change before. Anybody have any idea what this is? If there is a leaking for either wind shield fluid or coolant, is the repair covered by warrenty?

Thanks!
To finally answer your question: YES!
Old 08-09-2008, 08:13 AM

Mein Auto: '10 VW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhstadt View Post
Amen. Go drive 30 miles each way through the finest slush NJTA can create on the Parkway after a snow. It cakes so badly you can't see after 10 miles. I'd go through 2 gallons sometimes in a day or two. They jack the price up to $3.00 per gallon at service areas during the winter and sell all of it as fast as they can put it out.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to sierrakilo99
Mein Auto: 2001 325Ci/1989 Civic HB
I had the same problem, all fluid leaked out within one day. Finally had time to take a look at it this afternoon. I found that the o-ring at the base of the pump was loose and the pump had actually gotten dislodged from the matching hole in the reservoir.

So before you go plunk down $$$ to replace the pump motor (which is easy to do if you need to replace it) check to see if the unit is loose. Put a new o-ring on it and its good to go, no new motor required.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:28 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Just put some on your finger and you should be able to tell by smell and feel. Washer fluid will smell better and have no discernable viscosity.
And to answer your other question - coolant should have a slightly slick/oily feel to it when you rub it between your finger tips.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!
Old 08-09-2008, 06:32 PM

Mein Auto: Varies
I am fairly mechanically inclined, as are several others on this board, however I dont think making fun of the OP because he is not is a very good thing to do, and also this is a simple DIY fix, but it should also be covered under your warranty so you dont even need to try to fix it.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:38 PM

Mein Auto: K1200RS, E93/335i:4cruzin
I can't believe this thread is still alive.

OP if you are still here, just poor a little quickcrete is the washer tank see if that stops the leak.
If it doesn't put the quickcrete in the radiator.