Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 08-11-2008, 07:10 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ---
Nürburgring FAQ: Everything you need to know about the Ring & ED

A lap (or more) of the Nürburgring Northschleife is one of the highlights of many an ED experience. You can find a lot of info on the Ring here if you do a search for "Ring" or "Nurburgring" . Hopefully this thread will focus the information into one place and make it easier to plan your trip.

1) First – where is it? Its west of Frankfurt, probably 5-6 hours from München:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sadd...57&ie=UTF8&z=8

(no it is not near Nürnberg or anywhere near München)

2) Can you drive on the track during your trip?
Check the Touristenfahrten schedule to see when the track is open for public driving:
http://www.nuerburgring.de/North-loop.361.0.html
and what the opening hours are on the day(s) you want to go. Weather conditions and any accidents on the track can further impact your ability to drive on the track.

3) What does it cost?
1 lap €21
4 laps €70
8 laps €135 (etc***8230
I used about $20/lap in gas (yeah, bring a full tank, it goes fast!) and several thousand miles worth of tire and brake wear (for starters).

4) Ben Lovejoy's page
This page is one of the best pages in English to get most of the information you will need for your visit:
http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/

5) Track Rules:
Track rules are minimal, but important: Stay in control of your car, pull over to the right to let faster cars pass (and only pass on the left), no filming of your drive allowed, you get to pay the track for any damage you cause (i.e. buying new guardrails). Those are the highlights. Take a look at this page for more info:
http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/ringrules.html

6) Hotels
Check out this thread bimmerfest post:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ighlight=hotel

7) Photographs.
Many people here want pictures of there car on the track. The best thing you can do is to tell a photographer you want pictures of your car. You probably have best chance of getting your car photographed on busy day, like a weekend with good weather. Of course, if you go to the track on a quieter day during the week, you'll have a better experience on the track, but probably no professional photo.
You can try this site to see if anyone took your picture, but unless there were a lot of photogs out on your day you won't find anything:
http://www.nurburgringphotos.com/
Here is a photographer who is often at the ring:
http://images.mw-sportfoto.de/galerie/index.php?cat=3

8) RSR Racing:
If you would like to rent a car, and or take class instruction on how to drive this track, check out these guys. Very Bimmerfest friendly!
http://rsrnurburg.com/index.php?opti...id=7&Itemid=30

9) Ring Taxi.
If you want to let someone else drive, you could always book a (an expensive) ride in the ring taxi. From their web site: A ride in the BMW Ring-Taxi costs 185.00 € for up to three persons. Unfortunately, tickets for single seats are not available.
http://bmw-motorsport.com/ms/ringtaxi.html

continued...

Last edited by chaz58; 08-11-2008 at 08:52 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 08-11-2008, 07:11 AM

...continued:

10) Do it yourself preparation and training (Simulations, video, reading).
With 172 turns and 1000 feet of elevation change, there is a lot to learn to become familiar with the Ring. Videos, Playstation, and the like can help a lot to increase your familiarity with the track (and hopefully minimize surprises). Naturally, the adrenaline, sensory input, and intensity of the real thing is far beyond a video game. Also, video & games do not give you an appreciation of the altitude and contour of the track which makes a big difference. However, the actual simulation and car dynamics are realistically done. If you don't have Playstation, head down to Dave & Buster's (or a similar video arcade) and spend a couple hours (or more) learning the track. If that doesn't work, you can go to the BMW web site and download their Ring simulation:
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle...e/content.html

Some interesting videos:
You tube has some fast lap videos that can help you find the correct line
watch?v=yAxmOvwRZlI

If you look for the BMW335 video of the ring you can see a lap done by one of our Bimmerfest people on an ED.

Here is a pdf file from Bimmerfiles (although this type of thing may be more useful after you have visited the ring at least once:
http://www.bimmerfile.com/2008/05/01...e-to-the-ring/

11) ED & Export plates
There was some confusion with ED plates at the ring long ago, but it was cleared up and hasn't been an issue in the last years. Just to be safe, some people pull up to the gate when the attendants are distracted, others will scoot up close to the car in front of them so the plates are not obvious. Basically, driving the Ring with ED export plates is not an issue.

12) things to do in the area
Mosel and Rhine valleys (lots of scenic driving, wine, boat trips, & castles) are right there and nice to visit if you have the time (the two rivers meet in Koblenz ). My favorite castle in the area (on the Mosel) is Burg Eltz:
http://www.burg-eltz.de/e_index.html

There is also Köln and its famous church, Frankfurt, Luxembourg, etc…...............

There are many possible detours and distractions on your drive from Munich to the Ring. Some of the more interesting places: Heidelberg (somewhat overrated) Rothenburg ob der Tauber (and other spots on the Romantic road), the Schwartzwald Strasse (north and south part of the Black forest), Stuttgart (Porsche & Mercedes museums), and France (Strasbourg and Colmar).

13) The Risks
One of the biggest questions is on Insurance. I don't think anyone on bimmerfest has tested the insurance coverage at the Ring, so its rather an unknown (knock on wood). Keep in mind that you are potentially uninsured. It is crazy fast – being surprised by a blind turn as speeds WELL over 100mph would not be a pleasant feeling. Hitting an apex at top speed, but apexing too early is a good way to go off the track. Do a search on youtube for Nürburgring crash videos – it is sobering if nothing else. When I was there, an RS4 and a motorcycle had an "incident" that I am sure ruined the day for both of them (the track was closed for ~25 minutes and the police were called out because of this). Good luck and try to keep the adrenalin under control when behind the wheel.

Last edited by chaz58; 08-11-2008 at 08:51 AM.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:47 AM

Mein Auto: 328xiT & M roadster
Chaz:

Thanks for the exceptionally complete and well-presented post. Although I have driven at both Lime Rock (in the good old days) and Laguna Seca, I have not been to Nürburgring. This certainly makes it more likely.

One set of follow-up questions: Do you have to bring your own helmet? Do you need special shoes or a driving suit?

(Shameless self-promotion photo of me & the M below.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M%20roadster%20race.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	156568  
Recent ED: 25 June 10, 328xiT in Red. Then headed SW to Italy & France. Flew home via Rome. Hoegh Kobe departed 22 July; unloaded at PH 17 Aug. Redelivery 11 Sept. (Re-redelivery 14 Sept....read the details here.)
Previous ED: 7 June 08, X3 3.0si in rosso corsa (*), then off to Italy, Austria, Slovenia. (*Note: A61 Crimson Red north of the Alps.)
Back-up vehicle (while waiting for re-deliveries): 1999 M Roadster in Estoril Blue.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:37 AM
Piacere di guidare

Mein Auto: E93 - ED'ed 5-08
No helmet/ gloves/ shoes/ driving suit/ six-point harness or roll-over structure required. You will see some combination of the above equipment occasionally, but on cars that are used primarily for tracking. Remember that you're taking your street car on the circuit and prepare/ behave accordingly.

Chaz58 made a really nice compilation of useful information for going to the 'Ring and maximizing your experience once there. I'd only add a statement I've made before on this topic: Remember that unlike a computer sim, there is no "reset" button on this experience if you get it wrong. Know the limits of your car and your own skills and drive within them. Most sobering for me was having dinner with some Brits the night before I drove the Nordschliefe for the first time, and having one of them let me know that he had totaled (read that again - I said totaled) his M3 earlier that day on the circuit. Don't get me wrong: it's a great experience that I heartily recommend to anyone with the time to make the journey. But it should be approached with the proper respect and preparation, or not approached at all.

My 2011 ED trip report: Second ED off and running... after a brief interruption
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=545068

My 2008 ED trip report: "Thirteen months, 135 miles and wha....?"
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=288271
Old 08-11-2008, 11:41 AM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: Fünfer und Dreier
great write-up but it really should be in the wiki, not as a post, as this will eventually fall beyond the first few pages.

F10 2014 535d M Sport Mondstein Metallic
F10 2012 ActiveHybrid 5 Azuritschwarz Metallic
MB 2011 E350 BlueTec
E70 2011 X5 xDrive35d*
E90 2010 335d*
E60 2008 550i*

E90 2006 330xi*
E90 2006 325i
E90 2006 330xi*
E39 2003 530i*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is*
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired
Old 08-11-2008, 01:22 PM

Mein Auto: ----
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz58 View Post
...no filming of your drive allowed...
What!? I guess this changed in the last few years. Bummer.

One last thing I would add is to take this track very, very seriously. The only time I've been on the track and not seen an accident was when it was a torrential downpour 30 minutes before it closed for the day. There are sections of the track that always seem to be slippery, like Hatzenbach.

Also, you may not notice while driving, but the scenery is great.

Thanks for the excellent compilation. It's very handy.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:44 PM
Driving 'en Plein Air'

Mein Auto: 435i vert ED July 2014
Wonderful report Chaz! +1 on the Wiki and thanks for sharing

F33 435i M-Sport | Mineral Grey | Oyster/Black/Estoril | 441M 18" Wheels | Driver's Assistance | Premium | MDHP | M-Sport Brakes | MPPK for added weight | MPE to round it off

ED 2014: Click here to view ED report | ED 2008: Click here to view ED report | PCD Re-Delivery: Click here for PCD Report

RETIRED: 2008 E92 335i Coupé | BMWCCA Nº. 383753
Old 08-11-2008, 08:05 PM

Here are some of the videos I had problems posting earlier.

A Bimmerfest ED drive in a 335i:

A quick lap in a Porsche
(at least it showes you where your line should be!)

Last edited by chaz58; 08-11-2008 at 09:08 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:14 PM

You are welcome.

To me, that is one of the oddest things about the ring. No helmet, tech inspection or anything beyond the glance of the guy at the gate. You just pay your money and go. Its basically a public toll road and the rules are not much different than driving to the grocery store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-y View Post
Chaz:

Thanks for the exceptionally complete and well-presented post. Although I have driven at both Lime Rock (in the good old days) and Laguna Seca, I have not been to Nürburgring. This certainly makes it more likely.

One set of follow-up questions: Do you have to bring your own helmet? Do you need special shoes or a driving suit?

(Shameless self-promotion photo of me & the M below.)
Old 08-11-2008, 08:20 PM

Yes, I need to put this in the Wiki.

And yes, in spite of the laid back regulations, it is hard to understate how much respect this track deserves. It is a lot faster and tricker than anything I have been on (although any track can bite you in a bad way). And that doesn't even take into account the traffic - which could be a casual sunday driver, or someone with much more skill, experience, and knowledge than any of us have, or worse - someone who thinks they have more skill and knowledge than they actually have.

Some more sobering thoughts, here is a compilation of Ring crash videos.
Something to think about when attacking that curve:

Last edited by chaz58; 08-11-2008 at 09:07 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:37 PM
Ich liebe mein BMW

Mein Auto: 08 E90
What great info!
-2002 M5 LeMans Blue on Black. Rear Sunshade, M-Sound, Heated Seats, Xenon, PDC
-2004 M3 Convertible. Silver Grey on Grey. SMG, Nav, HK Sound, Heated Seats, Xenon
-2007 335i Jet Black, Terra Leather, Premium, Sport, Step, Paddle, Nav, Comfort Access
-2006 525i Black Sapphire Metallic with Beige, Manual, Nav, HUD, PDC, Xenon
-2002 325i Orient Blue Metallic, Beige interior, Manual, Sunroof
Old 08-12-2008, 09:24 AM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.EMan View Post
One last thing I would add is to take this track very, very seriously. The only time I've been on the track and not seen an accident was when it was a torrential downpour 30 minutes before it closed for the day.
+1. On my visit there, one of the first cars out in the evening session hit the wall in the first sharp right-hand turn.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 08-12-2008, 01:16 PM
BMW Fahrer

Mein Auto: E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz58 View Post
And yes, in spite of the laid back regulations, it is hard to understate how much respect this track deserves.
+1. I may have stopped breathing for an entire lap.

On the other hand, it took me almost the whole first lap to stop from laughing and shouting from pure joy and exhilaration.

Always remember you are the one holding the wheel and making the decisions. So stay inside the comfort envelope and enjoy.

This should go in the wiki for sure...

adc
09 M3 Sedan ED
12 MINI Countryman S All4
93 Miata LE
Old 08-13-2008, 07:16 AM

Mein Auto: 540iT6, 951
I'm there virtually every day.

I must say that the above advice is concise and well presented.

Tuition is a very cost effective way of learning the track and getting up to speed safely. You wouldn't attempt the Matterhorn without a guide, would you?

Get in touch if you are in the area.

Ed

Your friend at the Nordschleife.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:14 PM
Piacere di guidare

Mein Auto: E93 - ED'ed 5-08
Just made the three well-chosen videos above my lunchtime diversion. From my experience, they're each quite instructive. The first one shows how most of us will experience the circuit: loose line, what seems at the time like really high speeds, and the occasional slalom to avoid slower traffic or road maintenance crews. The second is a wickedly fast lap (maybe it truly IS a record, I dunno), in a fully track-prepared car with someone at the helm with probably hundreds of laps of the circuit under his belt. Should be labeled, "do not try this in your car". And finally, the third is a good reminder of how quickly you and your car can get past the limit without realizing it, and what's likely to happen when that does occur. I especially liked seeing the brief in-car footage in the wet, when the circuit is really diabolical and most people just hang out in the cafe. Only problem is, it makes me wanna go drive it again, like now.

My 2011 ED trip report: Second ED off and running... after a brief interruption
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=545068

My 2008 ED trip report: "Thirteen months, 135 miles and wha....?"
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=288271
Old 08-13-2008, 01:35 PM
CarSwami

Mein Auto: BMW 335i Convertible
Excellent information. Thanks for compiling it. Definitely belongs in the wiki.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:52 AM
F1, MotoGP & 'Ring addict

Mein Auto: things with wheels
Here's my video from my 335i coupe, taken in late 06 during my ED:

'07 335i
'08 135i
2014 Z4 35i

Last edited by Tom (Atl); 01-15-2009 at 07:55 AM.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:09 AM

Mein Auto: Too Embarassed
We're planning an ED trip to the Ring in March, and I just wanted to add an excellent link to this already excellent guide: http://www.heiser.net/documents/nurburgring/

There's some great specifics in there about what to bring with you and the logistics of actually getting on and off the track. The real meat, however, is the sections on your "first" and "zeroth" lap around the Ring. As a Nurburgring newbie in need of knowledge, I found this site to be just as useful as Ben Lovejoy's, and the two complement each other quite well.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:16 PM

Wow, that site is amazing! Thanks!

The two things that amazed/surprised me:
- 4 laps is going to use about 1/2 a tank of gas. I'm used to getting less than 10mppg, but dang!

- The track felt about twice as fast as what I am used to. Going through the twisties at well over 100mph is a bit much for a stock BMW sports suspension - the car felt floaty.

When all was done, I was glad I and the car were in one piece (unlike the Audi RS4 that was there). Whew! Its quite a track, but driving it at 10/10th is a bit insane; and it is a lot of work to try to memorize all of those apexes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaleaman View Post
We're planning an ED trip to the Ring in March, and I just wanted to add an excellent link to this already excellent guide: http://www.heiser.net/documents/nurburgring/

There's some great specifics in there about what to bring with you and the logistics of actually getting on and off the track. The real meat, however, is the sections on your "first" and "zeroth" lap around the Ring. As a Nurburgring newbie in need of knowledge, I found this site to be just as useful as Ben Lovejoy's, and the two complement each other quite well.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:56 AM

Mein Auto: 540iT6, 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaleaman View Post
There's some great specifics in there about what to bring with you and the logistics of actually getting on and off the track. The real meat, however, is the sections on your "first" and "zeroth" lap around the Ring.
Ah, my old Willy! What a fun little car that was.

Even if you are planning on just a few laps in your own car it is a good idea to get a bit of guidance, whether professional or amateur. A passenger lap or two can make a lot of difference.

Your friend at the Nordschleife.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 535i M sport
I found some additional websites for ring photos:

http://www.8200rpm.com/webcam/ This keeps a log of all the Ring webcam pics
http://www.mw-sportfoto.de/en/? Random pictures of tourists
http://www.nordschleifenbilder.de/go/index.php?cat... Random pics of tourists
http://www.ring-bilder.de/galerien2009.html Random pics of tourists
http://www.vazily.be/Touristenfahrten.htm Random pics of tourists
http://www.e40racer.be/category/nurburgring/
http://www.nurburgring-photos.com/index.htm
http://www.racepicture.de/galerie/index.php?cat=53
http://www.boelsphotography.be/index.html
http://circuit.nhlrebel.com/fotoalbums/Nordschleife/
http://nurburgring.5h4k.co.uk/
http://ringpics.nr78.de/
http://www.hardysnetz.de/webpics/
http://www.ringfotograf.de/
http://www.ringbilder.de/touristenfahrten.html

I was only able to find a webcam shot at the entrance of my car, but a number of the sites above had a bunch of pictures.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:24 PM
Aussie in Texas!!

Send a message via Yahoo to turpiwa
Mein Auto: E46 M3 Convertible
...And a video -

ED 2009 (5/2) E90 335i, 6MT - Le Mans Blue, Burl, ZPP(Blk Lthr), M-Sports, ZCW, Active Steer, Nav, shades, PDC, ipod, Sirius, CA, Smartphone
ED 2005 (11/18) E90 330i, 6MT - Monaco, Burl, ZPP(Blk Lthr), ZSP, ZCW, Active Cruise & Steer, Nav, shades, PDC, Sirius, CA
MY ED 2005 WRITEUP
EUROPEAN DELIVERY PICTURES (albums are in reverse order - sorry). NO NEED TO SIGN IN -beware - there's lots
Old 06-03-2009, 08:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 535i M sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by turpiwa View Post
...And a video -

What day were you at the track? What an experience! I didn't think we were going to be able to fit it in, so I didn't prepare. Next time.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:50 AM
Dinan-Powered

Mein Auto: Dinan-Powered E92
Best place for photos ringportal.nl
Old 06-11-2010, 03:04 PM

Mein Auto: OOOO
Something to think about before driving the Nordschleife.
There is a guy in town who runs in the 24 Hour race. I met him there last year during practice and he (as well as some other guys in his group) told me it takes about 100 laps until a driver "Knows" the Track.
I have driven it a few times and, most recently, was embarrassed over how slow I was - BUT I did not crash (as did the driver of a nearly-new Porsche) into a wall or damage my vehicle in any way (which could not be said by the rider who totalled his bike).