Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Many things
Lol if they are not iridium you're doing it wrong
Old 01-13-2013, 08:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Black 1997 528i
Exclamation Spark plug replacement E65 E66 750i 750LI

I just completed this job and I have a few things to point out. I used the following link to get started but I would also add the following points:

The taped extensions are designed to keep you from leaving your tools in the engine when you are installing the new plugs. I did not find this to be needed because I put some lithium grease on the white portion of the plugs thus keeping the plug from sticking to the spark plug socket.

I also used one 1 1/2" extension and three ratchet size adapters. I left the third one loose as in the picture until I had the plug started in the hole and then I added the third and then hand screwed the plug in before using the torque wrench 19 newton meters or 14 foot pounds. Then wiggle your extensions back and forth and it will come right off the plug. Remove the last extension if needed for clearance.

I also put lithium grease on the boot of the coil. This conditions the rubber, improves the seal and at the same time makes them easier to get out next time.

It's also MUCH EASIER to remove the coils with the wiring harness disconnected because you have something to pull on yet nearly impossible to get the harness unplugged (depending on orientation) with your hands and you don't want to break anything using a tool. HOWEVER, if you slide a small flat edge screwdriver in from middle toward the outside, slide it to one side and gently twist the blade back toward the middle, at least one or both sides of the harness latch will come loose. If only one, you can try the other side while applying some traction with your free hand. This is the ONLY METHOD I can recommend using a tool to get these open.

If however, you can't or don't want to get the harness loose before breaking the coil loose, rotate the coil so one of the flat edges is away from you and just pull back toward yourself in one direction (rotating won't help), these are basically in there by suction, and if you keep pulling you will feel it eventually give way (and it will feel like you are pulling the plunger out of a syringe).

I also saw no need to remove or loosen anything aside from the engine covers.

I took me a couple hours but knowing what I know now, I bet I could do yours in 30-45 minutes so feel free to stop by.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1824[1].jpg
Views:	135
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	357542   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1821[1].jpg
Views:	119
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	357543   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1823[1].jpg
Views:	127
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	357544  
Old 11-27-2013, 02:14 PM

Mein Auto: e65 745i 2002
NGK spark plugs for e65

Do you know if these NGK # IZFR6H-11 spark plugs are suitable also for 2002 745i?