Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 05-05-2015, 01:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 330Ci Conv.
Exclamation RealOEM Website and Diagram URL Changes (Update Your Links)

I noticed recently that the RealOEM website has undergone some changes – improved layout, new interactive diagrams, catalog updated as of 03/2015, etc. All good news, except for the fact that previous links to diagrams are now broken and no longer show up in forum posts.

Links to individual pages will still redirect, but if you’ve ever linked directly to RealOEM diagrams in past replies or are reading through a thread where others are referencing diagrams that are no longer there, below are some ways to fix your links or track down an old image that is now broken.

Tracking down missing RealOEM diagrams in older posts:
If you come across a thread/post that references a diagram that is no longer there, follow these steps.

1. Quote the message in order to view the original text.
2. Look for the old RealOEM diagram URL.
Old RealOEM Diagram URL: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/p/u/199.png
New RealOEM Diagram URL: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/images/diag_2yrb.png (directory and file name has changed)
3. Copy the old URL into your browser’s address bar.
4. Type “http://web.archive.org/web/*/" in front of the URL and hit “Enter.”
Example: http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://...ms/p/u/199.png
5. The Wayback Machine Internet Archive currently shows that page saved “1 time on December 11, 2011.” Click the date to view the older diagram.

Note: if the image is linked (see below) use the [URL] address instead of the [IMG] address, which will redirect to the appropriate page and diagram.

Linking to the new RealOEM diagrams in the future:
Since RealOEM has switched to interactive diagrams, you can no longer right-click and copy the image URL as easily for pasting into forum replies. To link to the new diagrams, you’ll need to go about this another way. I’m using Firefox, but other browsers are similar.

1. On a RealOEM diagram page (like this one), right-click on the page and select “View Page Info”
2. On the next window, select the tab titled “Media” to view all images on the page.

3. Right-click and copy the URL of the new RealOEM diagram.
4. While the older diagrams could be wrapped with [IMG] tags and shown at 100%, the new RealOEM diagrams are considerably larger in size (see: old vs. new). For readability and easier viewing of the new diagrams, you might consider using the [FEATUREIMG] tag instead.
Image Example (left): [FEATUREIMG=""]http://www.realoem.com/bmw/images/diag_2yrb.png[/FEATUREIMG]
Linked Image Example (right): [URL="http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=BS53-USA---E46-BMW-330Ci&diagId=11_2879"][FEATUREIMG="Click to view on RealOEM."]http://www.realoem.com/bmw/images/diag_2yrb.png[/FEATUREIMG][/URL]

Click to view on RealOEM.
The [FEATUREIMG] tag resizes RealOEM's 1288 x 910px images down to a more manageable 645 x 456px. The [IMG] tag will leave them at their original size. You can use this to resize other images, but it may be useful when linking to RealOEM diagrams in the future.

Updating previous posts (if you’re so inclined):
Under the forum's advanced search in the “Search by Keyword” field, enter “IMG RealOEM”, and type your user name into the “Search by User Name” field to return only those posts you can edit.

Using the above information, you can either update your links accordingly or track down the old image from the Wayback Machine and attach it directly to your post.

I know a fair amount of people link to and use RealOEM's diagrams, and I’ll be going back through all of my old posts to update everything. If anyone else wants to do the same, it might help others out at some point down the line.

If you’re looking for a missing diagram or looking to link to one in the future, hope some of the above helps, as well!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	View Page Info.png
Views:	195
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	507682   Click image for larger version

Name:	View Page Info - Media.png
Views:	200
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	507683  

DIYs help you save money with repairs; let www.bmwpnpc.com help you save money with the parts.
Advertisement
Old 05-06-2015, 04:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2006-530xi; 1998-528i
Oh boy! Guess Bluebee is gonna have a field day with this one. The OCD inside me is twitching a bit. Imagine! (bump)
Old 05-07-2015, 01:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 330Ci Conv.
Agreed. A great number of older threads still have useful information, and hate to see their value diminished if others can't find the diagrams being referenced.

A lot of bluebee's attachments are annotated and expounded upon, so they wind up being hosted on Bimmerfest, but have seen countless others linked directly to RealOEM that now no longer show up.

I'm more active on the E46 side of things, but figured this could get some better visibility here. This thread might be a drop in the ocean, but figured it would help some folks out.

DIYs help you save money with repairs; let www.bmwpnpc.com help you save money with the parts.

Last edited by SilberVogel; 05-07-2015 at 01:06 AM.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:38 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilberVogel View Post
A lot of bluebee's attachments are annotated and expounded upon, so they wind up being hosted on Bimmerfest,
Yup.
As your self-annointed head librarian, I plan ahead.

I don't think I, personally, have linked to Realoem without *also* snapshotting (and usually editing to clean it up) the screenshot.

I see this problem all the time with image-hosting sites. Likewise, people post Ebay and Amazon links all the time, which are ephemeral, at best.

There's no way I can keep up with all the people who host pictures elsewhere or who reference off-site links, but, for the CANONICAL threads, I often take the liberty of including (and cleaning up) the links as screen shots.

Thanks for letting us know Realoem changed, and how to recover.

EDIT: I'll put this keyword-rich line in the bestlinks so folks can find it.
- How to convert old realoem diagram links prior to 20150507 to new real oem parts diagram urls (1)

Last edited by bluebee; 05-07-2015 at 08:41 PM.
Old 05-08-2015, 05:08 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Thanks for sharing this info. I did notice realoem's updated site and the changes that no longer let you right click the diagram. I did appreciate that their diagrams were cleaned up...and no longer have the missing directional lines & broken brackets to some of the parts in the diagram that was missing in the old setup...which many times made go to bmwfans.info just because the diagram was easier to understand.

Thankfully I inserted direct links in many past posts to the diagrams I inserted...so with a little effort from the seeker, the info can be found in those cases.
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg

Last edited by QSilver7; 05-08-2015 at 05:17 PM.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSilver7 View Post
I did notice realoem's updated site and the changes that no longer let you right click the diagram.
By way of suggesting another method of capturing realoem diagrams, what I often do is hit the famous "printscreen" button on either Linux or Windows, or "command f3" on Macintosh.

As everyone knows, that instantly captures all that you see on the screen and puts it in your favorite editor.

The drawback, of course, is that print-screen only captures what is on the screen; but I like to capture the parts lists, which almost always scroll off the screen.

There are numerous ways to capture off-screen images, e.g., printing to PDF using cutePDF freeware works fine on Windows, for example (and subsequent converting from PDF to JPG is easy); but I like to use Firefox extensions which perform the same feat as print-screen does, except they capture the entire page directly to a picture.
- Screengrab (fix) for firefox

More details here:
- How to post, shrink, modify, edit, annotate, merge, & upload pictures & video for posting on Bimmerfest (1)

Last edited by bluebee; 05-09-2015 at 09:57 AM.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:07 AM

I have always suggested folks either manually save or screenshot the realoem diagrams and post the (edited) screenshots (which is what I almost always do).

The one problem I have is that the parts list usually scrolls off the page (hence it's not captured in a Linux/Windows print-screen or Mac command-3 results.

While one can print the entire screen to Adobe PDF, which will capture the parts list - and - then simply save the PDF to JPEG, I prefer this Firefox extension for saving an entire page (including offscreen sections of the web page) to a JPEG:
- Firefox extension for screenshotting an entire web page to JPEG
Quote:
Original Screengrab! add-on by Andy M for Mozilla Firefox is abandoned March 21, 2010:
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/screengrab/

Does it mean its death? Of course not! It has been reborn! I brought it back to life!

Now it is called Screengrab (fix version) and works with all Firefox versions.

What is Screengrab?

Screengrab! saves entire webpages as images. Just right-click on the page you want to grab and look in the "Screengrab" menu.
It will capture what you can see in the window, the entire page, just a selection, a particular frame... basically it saves webpages as images - either to a file, or to the clipboard, or upload to internet.

The following little keywords are at the request of those who can't remember the name ScreenGrab and want searches to work. It takes screen shots, screenshots, capture, screen capture, - that is, shots (captures), of web pages.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screengrab.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	508348  
Old 05-10-2015, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
...what I often do is hit the famous "printscreen" button on either Linux or Windows, or "command f3" on Macintosh.
Great info as always, Bluebee. I would also do a command [b]f4[/b on a Mac which gives you crosshairs to imediately select & crop what you want on the screen then save it. This cuts out additional editing steps if what you want can be captured in cross hairs.

My biggest issue now is my Macs are getting so old that I rarely use them or their software is so old that they are becoming oboslete by default and I find myself on my iPad or Samsung Note 4. The iPad was great when it was still on IOS 7...but when I updated to IOS 8...I lost many of my most used bluetooth keyboard shortcuts (man, it sucks). So Im stuck doing most photo editing etc on my work CPU when I can.
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg
Old 05-10-2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSilver7 View Post
The iPad was great when it was still on IOS 7...but when I updated to IOS 8...I lost many of my most used bluetooth keyboard shortcuts (man, it sucks). So Im stuck doing most photo editing etc on my work CPU when I can.
I know how you feel.

When I updated my iPad to something like 7.0.1 (or thereabouts), I lost my USB connectiity to Linux for weeks, until I figured out what the problem and solution was. It turned out to be the infamous infinite loop of trust bug introduced by Apple, knowing it would break Linux connectivity.

Apple didn't care. When they said they don't support Linux, what they really meant was they'll viciously break everything that was working, just to spite Linux for being there in its ecosystem.

After that horrid experience, I vowed to never update iOS again, unless someone puts a gun to my head!

I feel for you on the picture editors, because the editing has to be fast and snappy. When I moved from Windows to Linux (because XP was no longer supported), I had to re-learn how to edit pictures all over again.

Luckily, I put all that I learned in the aforementioned thread. On the Mac, I've used Preview to edit pictures, but, it stinks in comparison to the free stuff on Windows/Linux (and I'm rarely on the Mac so I never looked further).

I wouldn't even think of editing on the iPad, but, I do have probably a score of artistic-editing programs installed that I was going to test out at some point or another (e.g., iPhoto, Skitch, Sketch Pad, Zoodle Pad, Sketch (a few of these), FS Paint, CreativeStudio, PicsArt, etc.).

I never got a round tuit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	infinite_loop_of_trust.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	317.4 KB
ID:	508478